hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 122
  1. #61
    I was searching for an article I read with Tom Taiwo, from a good while ago, that tore into the academy system. I can't find the whole thing but a small snippet below:

    'At 16 I was rated as a very good prospect; now Iím at Carlisle. You see boys who werenít rated at 16 who at 23 are playing for England. Chris Smalling, he was playing non-league. Now heís a top player with Manchester United and England. It makes a mockery of the academy system, shows it is not the be-all and end-all. Boys like myself have been right through the system and now Iím nowhere near his standard. Thatís the worry.Ē

    That reads as pretty damming. However a quick look on Google shows that Tom Taiwo now works as a scout for......... The Chelsea Academy. I'm not sure it proves much beyond man needs job. However it does suggests he doesn't find the system completely morally objectionable.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do Hibs, and other clubs, go about bringing guys in at 7/8 years old? Is it lads who have been scouted or can they just be taken along?

    I've seen a few pictures on social media of kids who look about Primary 2 or 3 age signing forms in front of the press conference board and holding up the strip and stuff and it just strikes me as wrong. No doubt the kids will get a kick out of it but I find it very uncomfortable. This isn't kids playing at an open day, this is young kids 'signing for Hibs' and the sad fact is the vast majority will be back out the door by the time they reach 14 or 15, potentially regarding themselves as failed footballers.
    Scouted. I used to be involved with a cracking bunch of 05/06 born kids. One of the best groups in Scotland at the time. AT 9/10 years old Hibs and Hearts came along and signed the majority of the squad. Even before they were playing 11 a side. Young kids who had the chance to create memories, win cups at youth level, all that goes out the window when Pro Clubs come calling. Parents blinded by the idea of their kids going to play for Hibs etc. Its utterly pointless. Leave them were they are and build links with youth clubs so they have first dibs when the kids are 15/16. I've never heard one good argument for young kids going to Pro Youth.

  4. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do Hibs, and other clubs, go about bringing guys in at 7/8 years old? Is it lads who have been scouted or can they just be taken along?

    I've seen a few pictures on social media of kids who look about Primary 2 or 3 age signing forms in front of the press conference board and holding up the strip and stuff and it just strikes me as wrong. No doubt the kids will get a kick out of it but I find it very uncomfortable. This isn't kids playing at an open day, this is young kids 'signing for Hibs' and the sad fact is the vast majority will be back out the door by the time they reach 14 or 15, potentially regarding themselves as failed footballers.
    There's certainly scouts at the 7 a side games my son plays. I think we had a player picked up when we were still playing 5s, so about primary 3 or so. That was hearts. Released a year later absolutely gutted.

  5. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was searching for an article I read with Tom Taiwo, from a good while ago, that tore into the academy system. I can't find the whole thing but a small snippet below:

    'At 16 I was rated as a very good prospect; now Iím at Carlisle. You see boys who werenít rated at 16 who at 23 are playing for England. Chris Smalling, he was playing non-league. Now heís a top player with Manchester United and England. It makes a mockery of the academy system, shows it is not the be-all and end-all. Boys like myself have been right through the system and now Iím nowhere near his standard. Thatís the worry.Ē

    That reads as pretty damming. However a quick look on Google shows that Tom Taiwo now works as a scout for......... The Chelsea Academy. I'm not sure it proves much beyond man needs job. However it does suggests he doesn't find the system completely morally objectionable.
    He still lives in Porty so he must be a regional scout for them.

  6. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He still lives in Porty so he must be a regional scout for them.
    Scotland and the North East according to LinkedIn.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  7. #66
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scouted. I used to be involved with a cracking bunch of 05/06 born kids. One of the best groups in Scotland at the time. AT 9/10 years old Hibs and Hearts came along and signed the majority of the squad. Even before they were playing 11 a side. Young kids who had the chance to create memories, win cups at youth level, all that goes out the window when Pro Clubs come calling. Parents blinded by the idea of their kids going to play for Hibs etc. Its utterly pointless. Leave them were they are and build links with youth clubs so they have first dibs when the kids are 15/16. I've never heard one good argument for young kids going to Pro Youth.
    Thats the crux of it for me, instead of getting kids in at 7/8 get them in at 11/12, when they're more experienced. Whats the point of a club like Hibs teaching young kids the basics of the game, then developing them in to 11 aside players when there are dozens of smaller clubs who can do that for them?

    My wife used to do a bit of physio for the same group as Josh O'Connor came from and they were a joy to watch - but I think Josh is the only player to have made the grade. It would suggest to me that if the yield is one player from a group of 15/16 then we are wasting money on it.

  8. #67
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    62
    Posts
    22,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do Hibs, and other clubs, go about bringing guys in at 7/8 years old? Is it lads who have been scouted or can they just be taken along?

    I've seen a few pictures on social media of kids who look about Primary 2 or 3 age signing forms in front of the press conference board and holding up the strip and stuff and it just strikes me as wrong. No doubt the kids will get a kick out of it but I find it very uncomfortable. This isn't kids playing at an open day, this is young kids 'signing for Hibs' and the sad fact is the vast majority will be back out the door by the time they reach 14 or 15, potentially regarding themselves as failed footballers.

    I think that's what Stevie is saying, we had greater success years ago when kids just played football at school and boys club level, far too many parents think their kid has made it when they sign up for the academy at 11 yrs old and think he's getting coached and prepared for bigger things. We had more home grown players coming through 20-30 years ago than now due to them just playing football and honing their skills.

  9. #68
    Testimonial Due Kaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do Hibs, and other clubs, go about bringing guys in at 7/8 years old? Is it lads who have been scouted or can they just be taken along?

    I've seen a few pictures on social media of kids who look about Primary 2 or 3 age signing forms in front of the press conference board and holding up the strip and stuff and it just strikes me as wrong. No doubt the kids will get a kick out of it but I find it very uncomfortable. This isn't kids playing at an open day, this is young kids 'signing for Hibs' and the sad fact is the vast majority will be back out the door by the time they reach 14 or 15, potentially regarding themselves as failed footballers.
    I stand to be corrected here but I think some of the press conference style set up with multiple players is a little fun for the community teams which aren't particularly based on ability but more an affiliation to Hibs?
    All a bit of a play on the pro game rather than serious stuff.

    That does not disregard the fact there are young kids signed up of course and the merits of that are what is being discussed.

  10. #69
    @hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    54
    Posts
    22,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the idea of the academy is still worthy of discussion. I've never believed in very young kids being put into a Pro Youth system. I think there is an opportunity to review how it is setup. I'm sure it will be on Rons agenda at some point.
    What is the youngest age group we start at.

  11. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is the youngest age group we start at.
    I'm not sure what age they join the actual Academy. They certainly had them in at 8/9/10 a few years back. The Community side have them in at very young ages but that is purely recreational and no issue with that at all.

  12. #71
    @hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    54
    Posts
    22,867
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that's what Stevie is saying, we had greater success years ago when kids just played football at school and boys club level, far too many parents think their kid has made it when they sign up for the academy at 11 yrs old and think he's getting coached and prepared for bigger things. We had more home grown players coming through 20-30 years ago than now due to them just playing football and honing their skills.


    Would be interesting to know if youth teams like Hutchie Tynie BC & Salvie are still bringing through lads or has that all stopped since the pro academies came into place.

    I would prefer we went back to picking up lads from the clubs above at 15 and other youth teams as well, I watched Deek come through that system and it seemed to be working well, he got plenty experience from winning things and travelling abroad and it made these young guys hungry to get a deal with a club when they turn 16, rather than thinking you have made it at Hibs at the age of 9 only to be dumped a couple of years later because you haven't developed quick enough, must be soul destroying for these young lads to be told at 12 year old that they won't make the grade.

  13. #72
    Testimonial Due Kaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,171
    I was at the Edinburgh Cup with a team of 9 yr olds, so 7 a side, and the biggest concern for me was the win at all costs attitude of too many coaches, there weren't referees available so was to be done from the sidelines but this was basically disregarded and we found ourselves the only ones calling free kicks etc against ourselves and we fell into the spiral of not calling them either. Dog eat dog.
    I do wonder if a lot of the reason for clubs wanting access to young players is getting them before the poor youth coaches have taken the skill element of their game out of them?
    Certainly the argument would be partnerships with reputable clubs/coaches being most productive

  14. #73
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    32,770
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was at the Edinburgh Cup with a team of 9 yr olds, so 7 a side, and the biggest concern for me was the win at all costs attitude of too many coaches, there weren't referees available so was to be done from the sidelines but this was basically disregarded and we found ourselves the only ones calling free kicks etc against ourselves and we fell into the spiral of not calling them either. Dog eat dog.
    I do wonder if a lot of the reason for clubs wanting access to young players is getting them before the poor youth coaches have taken the skill element of their game out of them?
    Certainly the argument would be partnerships with reputable clubs/coaches being most productive
    Would be amazed if that wasn't one of the main reasons. It will be to do with competition if other teams are picking players up at a certain young age then all teams will follow suit in fear of missing out.

  15. #74
    @hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    54
    Posts
    22,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was at the Edinburgh Cup with a team of 9 yr olds, so 7 a side, and the biggest concern for me was the win at all costs attitude of too many coaches, there weren't referees available so was to be done from the sidelines but this was basically disregarded and we found ourselves the only ones calling free kicks etc against ourselves and we fell into the spiral of not calling them either. Dog eat dog.
    I do wonder if a lot of the reason for clubs wanting access to young players is getting them before the poor youth coaches have taken the skill element of their game out of them?
    Certainly the argument would be partnerships with reputable clubs/coaches being most productive
    Where do you get good youth coaches for that age group, more than likely a parent giving up there spare time to coach the best they can young kids, I done it myself for 6-7 years and it is hard work, 2 nights training game at the weekend, meetings for league and club monthly, dealing with nippy kids and parents and sometimes not even a thanks for it, snidely comments from parents but won't step up themselves to help out, I done a few badges but I know I wasn't a great coach, but I knew I was doing something to help kids do what they loved, play football, don't knock the poor coaches when the SFA do nothing to help youth football.

  16. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is Brentfords model

    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy-premier-league-outcasts
    Josh Doig and Jason Cummings were picked up after being released by a Championship club 😉

  17. #76
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,457
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Would be interesting to know if youth teams like Hutchie Tynie BC & Salvie are still bringing through lads or has that all stopped since the pro academies came into place.

    I would prefer we went back to picking up lads from the clubs above at 15 and other youth teams as well, I watched Deek come through that system and it seemed to be working well, he got plenty experience from winning things and travelling abroad and it made these young guys hungry to get a deal with a club when they turn 16, rather than thinking you have made it at Hibs at the age of 9 only to be dumped a couple of years later because you haven't developed quick enough, must be soul destroying for these young lads to be told at 12 year old that they won't make the grade.
    Couldn't agree more.

    The elite boys clubs still gave a very decent standard of play for laddies before pro-youth or whatever it's called took over.

    Not sure about the current state of Juvenile football these days, well Covid aside, I'm sure these clubs are still doing their stuff, but I would imagine the vast majority of youngsters playing professionally will have come through pro-youth?

    Looking back on coaching (1970's) though, there was very little attempt at drilling my side with the likes of offside or anything beyond very basic level tactics. You knew your role and kind of just developed a bit shape or at least that's how it felt to me. I played for Tynie and our coach, Dougie Dalgleish was, as you might expect a right Hearts man. He was to have a long involvement with Juvenile football and scouted or coached at Hearts. I think he just encouraged us to go and play.

  18. #77
    @hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Linlithgow
    Age
    59
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was searching for an article I read with Tom Taiwo, from a good while ago, that tore into the academy system. I can't find the whole thing but a small snippet below:

    'At 16 I was rated as a very good prospect; now Iím at Carlisle. You see boys who werenít rated at 16 who at 23 are playing for England. Chris Smalling, he was playing non-league. Now heís a top player with Manchester United and England. It makes a mockery of the academy system, shows it is not the be-all and end-all. Boys like myself have been right through the system and now Iím nowhere near his standard. Thatís the worry.Ē

    That reads as pretty damming. However a quick look on Google shows that Tom Taiwo now works as a scout for......... The Chelsea Academy. I'm not sure it proves much beyond man needs job. However it does suggests he doesn't find the system completely morally objectionable.
    Yes a manís got to eat.

    To be fair he maybe loves coaching and has an aptitude for it and wants to progress to more senior levels.

  19. #78
    Testimonial Due Kaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where do you get good youth coaches for that age group, more than likely a parent giving up there spare time to coach the best they can young kids, I done it myself for 6-7 years and it is hard work, 2 nights training game at the weekend, meetings for league and club monthly, dealing with nippy kids and parents and sometimes not even a thanks for it, snidely comments from parents but won't step up themselves to help out, I done a few badges but I know I wasn't a great coach, but I knew I was doing something to help kids do what they loved, play football, don't knock the poor coaches when the SFA do nothing to help youth football.
    Wasn't criticising in general as I'm exactly as you describe too, a parent with coaching badges who gets frustrated by the situation too.
    That is however what I mean, if kids coaching is in the hands of people like that and the concentration on winning at all costs rather than developing skill is predominant then I can see why clubs are getting involved at a young age.
    As the elite level is such a small percentage of the actual kids game then it shouldn't get to run roughshod over whole structure but equally as a nation we do need to develop the skill level of our players

    Edit.
    I think I agree with most of what you say regards boys clubs and the age some are being rejected. What I said about clubs forming relationships with reputable teams/coaches is possibly what you with the youth teams staying separate?
    Last edited by Kaff; 22-01-2021 at 03:33 PM.

  20. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was at the Edinburgh Cup with a team of 9 yr olds, so 7 a side, and the biggest concern for me was the win at all costs attitude of too many coaches, there weren't referees available so was to be done from the sidelines but this was basically disregarded and we found ourselves the only ones calling free kicks etc against ourselves and we fell into the spiral of not calling them either. Dog eat dog.
    I do wonder if a lot of the reason for clubs wanting access to young players is getting them before the poor youth coaches have taken the skill element of their game out of them?
    Certainly the argument would be partnerships with reputable clubs/coaches being most productive
    On the other side of the coin there are plenty excellent youth club coaches out there, and plenty dreadful pro youth coaches.

  21. #80
    Testimonial Due SanFranHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's been quite an interesting discussion though so I'm not sure it really matters how it came about.


    I have, being somewhat ignorant of the whole setup, found it very interesting and can only imagine this is a perrenial thorn for many clubs who exist just outside the event horizon of a financial black hole.

    I recently said to someone I longed for the good ol' days at Hibs and he thought I meant Turnbull's Tornadoes, but I was jokingly referring to the time when we were a 'feeder club'. I know all were not products of our youth system, but we certainly were shipping a few good ones along the M8.

    I don't even have a clue what the costs of our Academy are and my first thought would be that it would be a pity if it were shut down entirely, but it is all about what we are actually getting from it.

    And though not particularly relevant to our position, I had to laugh that on the same day I am reading this thread, on Sky Sports I see the headline 'What now for £72m Pepe?' pertaining to Arsenal's record signing having to force his way into the 'young' team. Upstairs and Downstairs comes to mind.


  22. #81
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,492
    Maybe Goodwin was on a wind up? Suggesting we don't need our academy as we just use St Mirren's instead.

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  23. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If, and itís a very big if, itís surely a mothballing situation until things stabilise again?
    Exactly, it's just the same situation as first lockdown. I assume that all age groups will be the same as the 2006,s in being given video for fitness and coaching to help while this lockdown is ongoing.

  24. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We did it at the last lockdown but re opened it when things stabilised, I'd assume due to the academy not being deemed elite athletes it'll be closed until we come out of tier 4.
    No we didn't, papers media etc were totally wrong.There were cuts in coaching staff but players in all age groups were video coached and had video fitness programs to follow, nothing has changed with regards to present lockdown.

  25. #84
    I see u18 matches are due to start back in a couple of weeks

  26. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Allan Key View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe Goodwin was on a wind up? Suggesting we don't need our academy as we just use St Mirren's instead.

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Of course he is. It's nothing more than a tongue in cheek dig at Hibs recruiting all their players, in much the same way as Aberdeen use Hibs as their official scouting system.

  27. #86
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    59
    Posts
    36,084
    Quote Originally Posted by The dalmeny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see u18 matches are due to start back in a couple of weeks
    Unfortunately the details of these games arenít published, but good for the lads that they are back playing

  28. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz;[URL="tel:6509084"
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    6509084[/URL]]Unfortunately the details of these games arenít published, but good for the lads that they are back playing
    got some details from a friend. Looks like 9 teams, play each other once then split top 4 bottom 5 for another round of games

  29. #88
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    59
    Posts
    36,084
    Quote Originally Posted by The dalmeny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    got some details from a friend. Looks like 9 teams, play each other once then split top 4 bottom 5 for another round of games
    Are we allowed to watch😀

  30. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz;[URL="tel:6509637"
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    6509637[/URL]]Are we allowed to watch😀
    google earth in the training centre 😂

  31. #90
    First game back this Friday against Utd

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)