hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    St Mirren ARE our academy.
    😂

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    It would’ve been a merry jape as we sign a few of their players (instead of rearing our own). Shan patter.

His players were desperate to come to Hibs so he should maybe ask questions of his own club before mentioning us

@hibs.net private member
    Would we even notice🤷🏼

Blog Entries
    Is it not unprofessional of Goodwin to reference the business of another club at his own club’s AGM? I hated him as a player, but was warming to him as a manager ........ back to the drawing board.

Does any of this have something to do with that partnership that was announced. Is our development side now called Stenhousemuir ?

Sure I read Celtic had furloughed there u18s so could be similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Is it not unprofessional of Goodwin to reference the business of another club at his own club’s AGM? I hated him as a player, but was warming to him as a manager ........ back to the drawing board.
    Hugely unprofessional maybe trying to put us off for the semi final.

Quote Originally Posted by dp00 View Post
    Sure I read Celtic had furloughed there u18s so could be similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    celtic have

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

I would do away with the academy and look to pick up good 17 and 18 year olds released by the biggest clubs.
    if you’re happy to be second best

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Graham Mathie also responded to a tweet asking about the closure of the academy and tweeted the following...

Q.
    Graeme.. allegedly Jim Goodwin has made comments tonight about Hibs closing the academy. A simple yes or no to put our minds at ease.. thanks.

A.
    Haven’t seen any comments but no, that’s not accurate. 👍
    For those who havent read the whole thread, this was Mathies response - so knickers can be untwisted.

As I said yesterday, perhaps the thread should be removed by the OP (before it appears as "fact" in the daily record)?

So much chat over an unsubstantiated rumour.

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Let's be honest, our academy has hardly been a rip roaring success. Might be a good time to rethink everything and perhaps remodel our youth system, if what has been said is true.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    3 of our current back 4 came through our academy.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    3 of our current back 4 came through our academy.

Plus feel like we are seeing youngsters being given more and more chances, though I do wish Ross would be a bit braver with getting them in the team.

I think the idea of the academy is still worthy of discussion. I've never believed in very young kids being put into a Pro Youth system. I think there is an opportunity to review how it is setup. I'm sure it will be on Rons agenda at some point.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    For those who havent read the whole thread, this was Mathies response - so knickers can be untwisted.

As I said yesterday, perhaps the thread should be removed by the OP (before it appears as "fact" in the daily record)?
    I think a thread addressing the question and including the definitive response from GM is better than a deleted thread with only the title remaining – that would just cause more confusion, allegations of censorship etc.

Graham Mathie also responded to a tweet asking about the closure of the academy and tweeted the following...

Q.
    Graeme.. allegedly Jim Goodwin has made comments tonight about Hibs closing the academy. A simple yes or no to put our minds at ease.. thanks.

A.
    Haven’t seen any comments but no, that’s not accurate. 👍
    I wonder how accurate JG was.
    Something must be happening for him to mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    I think a thread addressing the question and including the definitive response from GM is better than a deleted thread with only the title remaining – that would just cause more confusion, allegations of censorship etc.

Perhaps the thread title could be changed to 'Some prick at St Mirren falsely claims Academy is to close'

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    I’m a wee bit behind the times

Have the kit guy and his Mrs gone ?

Tam's wife has left and Tam is on a p/t contract, my mates good friends with him and told me a few weeks back.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I don't know about now, but St Johnstone only concentrated on their 1st team squad a few years ago if my memory is right.

They had no academy and to be fair, with the crowds they were getting, who could blame them?

I've said it before, most EPL clubs only have academy's as a box ticking exercise. There are grants they receive that fund them, but mainly for the money spent, they lose money in the long run.

Obviously there is the odd exception, but it's the lower league clubs that benefit more often than not, by picking up those players that don't make it at that level.

I'm on the fence with academy's, i can see why, but i'm not 100% sure they are worth the time, effort and expense?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Seen some stuff on the B&W army sit on this - https://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/fo...omment-1763252

Relevant para is this -

"2. Academy Update - some players have left as club felt they would not make first team. Club always looks to provide a pathway for those who leave. Academy games restricted due to COVID, but unlike some clubs (Hibs) St Mirren have kept the Academy going throughout the pandemic. Club have put some players out on load to gain experience, but there is limited football being played. High hopes for a number of players including Lewis Jamieson (Striker), Kieran Offord (Striker) and Dylan Reid. It is hoped that Dylan when he turns 16 this season will make his 1st team debut if all goes well"

eta - that was an excerpt of Goodwin doing an update on the playing side.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Seen some stuff on the B&W army sit on this - https://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/fo...omment-1763252

Relevant para is this -

"2. Academy Update - some players have left as club felt they would not make first team. Club always looks to provide a pathway for those who leave. Academy games restricted due to COVID, but unlike some clubs (Hibs) St Mirren have kept the Academy going throughout the pandemic. Club have put some players out on load to gain experience, but there is limited football being played. High hopes for a number of players including Lewis Jamieson (Striker), Kieran Offord (Striker) and Dylan Reid. It is hoped that Dylan when he turns 16 this season will make his 1st team debut if all goes well"

eta - that was an excerpt of Goodwin doing an update on the playing side.
    Seems that's the quote

Interesting they made a bid for Kevin Nisbet.
    Also someone asked about filling in tje corners of the stand 😁

IMO, Pro elite youth has actually worked against the younger footballer. Training with Hibs or any other pro football team at 8 years old only gives out false hopes and parents bragging rights.

get the kids into school football let them play Boys club level basically two games a day, remember when you played for the School in the morning and your boys club in the afternoon and as a protest on a Sunday.

LET THEM PLAY!

@hibs.net private member
    This is Brentfords model

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy-premier-league-outcasts
    Are Brentford the model for success? I know they are probably punching above their weight but when was the last time they were in the top league in England? Just doesn't seem to me that they have been successful enough to hold up as an exemplar for us.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Are Brentford the model for success? I know they are probably punching above their weight but when was the last time they were in the top league in England? Just doesn't seem to me that they have been successful enough to hold up as an exemplar for us.
    Not sure what success is for Brentford?
    Not sure if they are better or worse of than before?
    Did they have debt previously?
    They have built a cracking new stadium.

Just posting a link not sure how its working for them

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I don’t disagree with any of that.

We will of had hundreds of lads through the academy over the years and a only handful will have contributed to us in a meaningful way though.

Most we will never have heard of, some will make a go of it at lower league clubs and the majority will be out of the game by the time they’re out of their teens I’d imagine.

Not knocking the club here btw, it’s the way with most clubs probably.

I just think it’s maybe worth taking a different approach and maybe focus on those from ages 17/18 up only.

There will be people that work in youth football that know more about it than me but worth a thought at least?
    Tbh I think this is a pretty accurate assessment of the whole Academy model and not just at Hibs.

If RG was looking at the current Academy set up and was looking at returns in terms of players making the first team then it's definitely a part of the club that's worth looking at in terms of what we are getting from it.

When RG first came in and made his infamous "pony up" comment it was in respect of us contributing to the building of more facilities at EM. That quickly went off the agenda so ,while I wouldn't take what JG has said as fact , if we are looking at the Academys function at a time of decimated income streams that makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Brizo; 22-01-2021 at 08:58 AM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    To be honest I’m too lazy to read that but I remember watching a decent documentary about it on BT Sport.

The guy from Brentford spoke a lot of sense on it.
    The problem with doing that is if all the other clubs adopt the same policy there won’t be enough players to go around. It’s not a viable long term strategy and I’d imagine that if Brentford got into the premiership and stayed there they would rethink that model and bring back their academy. In our market we’re already in the premiership so can’t rely on leeching players from the league above us. The fact is in our country we are one of the big clubs and along with the other big clubs we need to have an academy or the whole system starts to fall apart.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by happiehibbie View Post
    IMO, Pro elite youth has actually worked against the younger footballer. Training with Hibs or any other pro football team at 8 years old only gives out false hopes and parents bragging rights.

get the kids into school football let them play Boys club level basically two games a day, remember when you played for the School in the morning and your boys club in the afternoon and as a protest on a Sunday.

LET THEM PLAY!
    How do Hibs, and other clubs, go about bringing guys in at 7/8 years old? Is it lads who have been scouted or can they just be taken along?

I've seen a few pictures on social media of kids who look about Primary 2 or 3 age signing forms in front of the press conference board and holding up the strip and stuff and it just strikes me as wrong. No doubt the kids will get a kick out of it but I find it very uncomfortable. This isn't kids playing at an open day, this is young kids 'signing for Hibs' and the sad fact is the vast majority will be back out the door by the time they reach 14 or 15, potentially regarding themselves as failed footballers.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    So much chat over an unsubstantiated rumour.
    So much chat over what was clearly a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    So much chat over what was clearly a joke.
    It's been quite an interesting discussion though so I'm not sure it really matters how it came about.