hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Academy To Close? (Mathie says no)

Apparently Jim Goodwin just said at the St Mirren AGM on zoom tonight that Hibs are closing the academy at East Mains and laying off a lot of young players. The guy who told me is reliable but if it is the case I’m astonished Goodwin has heard this.

2. Log in to remove the advert

P!$# of the first order.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    P!$# of the first order.
    I kind of thought so too. But it was definitely mentioned at the meeting, apparently 2-3 times by JG. Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I kind of thought so too. But it was definitely mentioned at the meeting, apparently 2-3 times by JG. Very strange.
    Maybe he means we aren't in for any of his players this window as we pretty much use St. Mirren as an extension of our academy

I've no idea if what Goodwin says is true.

It does seem highly probable that Hibs will be looking at further ways to cut costs in the coming months though. We are going to go a whole season without a single walk up fan, the PPV income won't touch the sides of that shortfall. The people at the club are also far from stupid. The ST campaign would normally be launching in the next 6-8 weeks and they will know sales will be down at least until people have some clarity on whether they will be seeing any live football next season. Like any business Hibs will be seeing that as customers personal finances take a hit so does their ability to spend money or make quick financial decisions.

Hibs focus will be on the 1st team. That is what drives income for the club, both from fans and from commercial partnerships. The sad fact of the matter is almost nothing else is sacred.

Probably thinks they'll have a better chance against St Johnstone than Hibs in the final. Stirring the pot.

St Mirren ARE our academy.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    If, and it’s a very big if, it’s surely a mothballing situation until things stabilise again?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    If true I think it’s sad that (unless those already aware of the situation have been told) folks may find out through a rival teams manager chatting on an AGM Zoom call. Just how should he know about our affairs (unless of course he’s been approached by representatives perhaps?)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Won’t be popular but I think it makes sense to shut it down.

In every youth team the chances of anyone making the breakthrough are so slim, this can mean keeping 8 or 9 players on so the 2 or 3 we think can make it have team mates to play with. On top of that the landscape of youth football has changed and if we do bring through a particularly special player the bigger clubs can just take them for a relatively small amount of money.

I would do away with the academy and look to pick up good 17 and 18 year olds released by the biggest clubs.

I think that’s what Brentford did and to me it makes complete sense.

Left by mutual consent!
    Let's be honest, our academy has hardly been a rip roaring success. Might be a good time to rethink everything and perhaps remodel our youth system, if what has been said is true.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

In every youth team the chances of anyone making the breakthrough are so slim, this can mean keeping 8 or 9 players on so the 2 or 3 we think can make it have team mates to play with. On top of that the landscape of youth football has changed and if we do bring through a particularly special player the bigger clubs can just take them for a relatively small amount of money.

I would do away with the academy and look to pick up good 17 and 18 year olds released by the biggest clubs.

This is Brentfords model

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy-premier-league-outcasts

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    This is Brentfords model

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy-premier-league-outcasts
    To be honest I’m too lazy to read that but I remember watching a decent documentary about it on BT Sport.

The guy from Brentford spoke a lot of sense on it.

Testimonial Due
    Load of sh*te I reckon. He will be having a sly dig at Hibs and Jack Ross for taking a few of his players and staff.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

Completely agree with this.

I’ve said before that the youth academy is in the main a waste of money.

I’d rather we went round poaching the best youngsters from other clubs like we did with John McGinn and more recently Nisbet and Magennis.

Could be Ron’s way of thinking too?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
    Load of sh*te I reckon. He will be having a sly dig at Hibs and Jack Ross for taking a few of his players and staff.
    He’s maybe just taking what was in the red tops at the start of lockdown as gospel?

Need to be careful what people think is the academy. The senior academy is pretty much shut anyway. Players go out on loan. There hasn’t been any games for kids for ages. They are all “home training”. The community angle will keep going as it brings in plenty money. Not sure if longer term there is much point running the boys “pro youth” academy.

Personally youths are better sticking to youth clubs then making the move at 16. At that point Hibs can put those players out to our linked lower league clubs.

We did it at the last lockdown but re opened it when things stabilised, I'd assume due to the academy not being deemed elite athletes it'll be closed until we come out of tier 4.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Completely agree with this.

I’ve said before that the youth academy is in the main a waste of money.

I’d rather we went round poaching the best youngsters from other clubs like we did with John McGinn and more recently Nisbet and Magennis.

Could be Ron’s way of thinking too?
    It's easy to become wedded to an idea so much that you can't see past it.

Maybe Ron has come in and asked the pertinent questions - "we spend how much...and it raises how much back, exactly?", and the answer was one that led us in this direction?

Ron didn't stand at Easter Road in the early 90s though. We've managed to build the infrastructure we have by bringing through players and selling them for profit since then.

It works for some clubs, not for others. And whilst we might not have sold anyone for big bucks recently, we've got a good few first team games out of Hanlon and Stevenson, who we might have paid a few transfer fees for over the years had we not had those players.
    Last edited by Smartie; 21-01-2021 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    We did it at the last lockdown but re opened it when things stabilised, I'd assume due to the academy not being deemed elite athletes it'll be closed until we come out of tier 4.
    It’s been closed for ages tbf. Open for a few weeks then locked down again. Same as every other club.

https://twitter.com/gmathie82/status...369483264?s=21

Graham Mathie tweeting about the Academy an hour ago. If news was imminent about it closing I doubt he’d be talking about rolling out some initiative in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Maybe Ron has come in and asked the pertinent questions - "we spend how much...and it raises how much back, exactly?", and the answer was one that led us in this direction?

Ron didn't stand at Easter Road in the early 90s though. We've managed to build the infrastructure we have by bringing through players and selling them for profit since then.

It works for some clubs, not for others. And whilst we might not have sold anyone for big bucks recently, we've got a good few first team games out of Hanlon and Stevenson, who we might have paid a few transfer fees for over the years had we not had those players.
    One of the things I always think you have to consider about an academy or youth system, particularly at the older age groups, is you are essentially carrying a sqaud of 16-18 players to facilitate the 2 or 3 who have a realistic chance of making it.

Hibs know by the age of 16 or 17 who is likely to make it here. You'll get the odd late developer but for the most part the club have an idea. It's just common sense that every player at every age group isn't realistically going to be a 1st team player, that would require us to ship out an entire 1st team squad every other season.

I'm not proposing we rip up the entire system but I think it's healthy to revisit the way things are done regularly and not just stick with something because 'that's how we have always done it' or 'that's how everyone else does it too'. Is there merit in only progressing 6 or 7 high quality players above under 17 level and using the link up with Stenhousemuir to develop them rather than running a development side? Is there merit in leaving boys with the juvenile sides longer but working with them to ensure they undertake the strength and conditioning work that can sometimes be lacking when you take a player late? Is there merit in following the Brentford model?

The current situation is probably as good a chance as any to sit down and really decide if what we are currently doing is both working and value for money. If it is then great, if not then change it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I don’t disagree with any of that.

We will of had hundreds of lads through the academy over the years and a only handful will have contributed to us in a meaningful way though.

Most we will never have heard of, some will make a go of it at lower league clubs and the majority will be out of the game by the time they’re out of their teens I’d imagine.

Not knocking the club here btw, it’s the way with most clubs probably.

I just think it’s maybe worth taking a different approach and maybe focus on those from ages 17/18 up only.

There will be people that work in youth football that know more about it than me but worth a thought at least?

https://twitter.com/gmathie82/status...369483264?s=21

Graham Mathie tweeting about the Academy an hour ago. If news was imminent about it closing I doubt he’d be talking about rolling out some initiative in the future.
    Graham Mathie also responded to a tweet asking about the closure of the academy and tweeted the following...

Q.
    Graeme.. allegedly Jim Goodwin has made comments tonight about Hibs closing the academy. A simple yes or no to put our minds at ease.. thanks.

A.
    Haven’t seen any comments but no, that’s not accurate. 👍

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I’m a wee bit behind the times

Have the kit guy and his Mrs gone ?
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 21-01-2021 at 10:33 PM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Seems utterly bizarre Goodwin would make this statement especially if proven to be wrong

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Perhaps on the basis that Mathie has confirmed its not true the thread should be binned now?

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Perhaps on the basis that Mathie has confirmed its not true the thread should be binned now?
    I would agree. It seems unsubstantiated.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Seems utterly bizarre Goodwin would make this statement especially if proven to be wrong
    Seems more tongue in cheek than anything else.