hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar

Spotify question

I normally drift off to sleep at night while listening to a podcast on Spotify.
    The annoying thing is that it is still playing when i wake up in the morning.
    I have Autoplay turned off but it still just plays the next one in sequence .

Anyone know how to fix this ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    There’s a sleep timer option ...just hit the three little dots on the song you are playing .....and scroll down

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There’s a sleep timer option ...just hit the three little dots on the song you are playing .....and scroll down
    Cheers. I can see that option on songs but it's not there on podcasts.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Try switching Automix off
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I've had a look around as I'm sure you have, but incredibly, there is no solution.

My advice would be to use a different player.

I use Pocketcasts which is free to download and seems to have everything Spotify has to offer podcast wise.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Cheers. I can see that option on songs but it's not there on podcasts.
    There's a wee crescent moon icon on the bottom right of the screen when listening to podcast episodes.

Click on that and it'll give you an option to stop audio at the end of an episode.

Quote Originally Posted by PatNevin View Post
    There's a wee crescent moon icon on the bottom right of the screen when listening to podcast episodes.

Click on that and it'll give you an option to stop audio at the end of an episode.
    Outstanding. Thank you very much.

How about that? Great information.

I wonder why it's not publicised properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    How about that? Great information.

I wonder why it's not publicised properly.
    Ive been waking up in the morning wondering why there was a man talking in my bedroom :

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I've had a look around as I'm sure you have, but incredibly, there is no solution.

My advice would be to use a different player.

I use Pocketcasts which is free to download and seems to have everything Spotify has to offer podcast wise.
    I use pocket casts as well, I find it much easier to manage my subscriptions than Spotify.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Ive been waking up in the morning wondering why there was a man talking in my bedroom :
    Just think of all the subliminal learning you will have amassed, you can probably speak Klingon now and don’t even realise.

I normally drift off to sleep at night while listening to a podcast on Spotify.
    The annoying thing is that it is still playing when i wake up in the morning.
    I have Autoplay turned off but it still just plays the next one in sequence .

Anyone know how to fix this ?
    As a matter of interest, which podcast do you listen to?

Is it designed to help you sleep?

As a matter of interest, which podcast do you listen to?

Is it designed to help you sleep?
    Not designed to help me sleep as such but I'm lucky if I hear 10 -15 mins before I nod off.

Usually listen to Sean Carrols mindscape , RI Science or 13 minutes to the Moon.

Highly recommend 13 minutes to the Moon. It is fantastic. Its available on BBC Sounds.

Not designed to help me sleep as such but I'm lucky if I hear 10 -15 mins before I nod off.

Usually listen to Sean Carrols mindscape , RI Science or 13 minutes to the Moon.

Highly recommend 13 minutes to the Moon. It is fantastic. Its available on BBC Sounds.
    Thanks. I'll have a listen.

Blog Entries

I can’t see that wee crescent when playing Spotify podcasts on my IPad or IPhone ........ mind you, I’ve only got cooncil Spotify, not the posh one.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    On the theme of podcast recommendations I enjoyed “Compleatly Beatles”. They run through each of the Beatles’ albums in detail. It’s the right blend of technical geek-iness and interesting/humorous stories. They know their stuff. I like the little tidbits like “Revolver” came out not long after the Stones’, “Afternath” and as a result Ringo wanted to call Revolver “After Geography”. Information useful to neither man nor beast but made smile.

Also listen to The Wolf & Owl - Romesh Ranganathan and Tom Davies. Easy listening and they play off each other well, although I do like Romesh so depends if you like those comedians.

Listen to both on runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I can’t see that wee crescent when playing Spotify podcasts on my IPad or IPhone ........ mind you, I’ve only got cooncil Spotify, not the posh one.
    I saw this but I'm not an Apple user so dunno if it will work or not.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mac...hone-ipad/amp/

I'm also a posh user so if it doesn't work my advice is...stop being so tight and get the full version

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I concur get the fully leaded version. Spotify premium is my favourite app and the only app I've ever paid for. Had it a good year or two and dont actually know how I got by, musically, on the free version.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    I first took it on a free 3-month trial and have never looked back. it's brilliant and I wouldn't want to be without it now.

So many podcasts to choose from generally. I've enjoyed Grounded with Louie Theroux in recent times. Peter Crouch's was a bit of light fun. Classic Scottish Albums is worth a listen.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    You could just use the normal iPad or iPhone sleep timer?

Clock > Timer > When Timer Ends: Stop Playing and set the time.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar

Listened to both series of this, just finished the Apollo 13 ones this week. Both were fantastic, really well put together - probably the best podcast series I've ever listened to. Thanks for the recommendation
    ​#PERSEVERED

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Listened to both series of this, just finished the Apollo 13 ones this week. Both were fantastic, really well put together - probably the best podcast series I've ever listened to. Thanks for the recommendation
    Gripping

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Gripping
    Thanks for posting that. Just listened to the first episode. I've listened to a lot of the actual communications between Apollo 13 and mission control on YouTube. Its fascinating.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    I concur get the fully leaded version. Spotify premium is my favourite app and the only app I've ever paid for. Had it a good year or two and dont actually know how I got by, musically, on the free version.
    I'd agree with this, Spotify Premium is definitely worth paying for over the free version.

My only real gripe with Spotify, and it's not stopped me from using it, much to my shame, is how poorly the artists are rewarded for their work.

I can't remember which artist was complaining about it recently, but they'd made something like £40 from over a million streams of their song.

I get the fact that if it wasn't for Spotify etc giving consumers an affordable way to get songs legitimately that they could download themselves for free anyway, then artists would be getting even less, but they do need to look at how they pay artists for the content that they provide.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I'd agree with this, Spotify Premium is definitely worth paying for over the free version.

My only real gripe with Spotify, and it's not stopped me from using it, much to my shame, is how poorly the artists are rewarded for their work.

I can't remember which artist was complaining about it recently, but they'd made something like £40 from over a million streams of their song.

I get the fact that if it wasn't for Spotify etc giving consumers an affordable way to get songs legitimately that they could download themselves for free anyway, then artists would be getting even less, but they do need to look at how they pay artists for the content that they provide.
    Peter Frampton, 55m downloads of Baby I Love Your Way. $1700

https://twitter.com/peterframpton/st...400832?lang=en

That's why I won't pay them, or any of the other streaming services, in their current model. For me, it's a platform for checking out artists, and then buying their stuff ( direct from the artist, if I can) if I like it... a bit like the radio.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 23-03-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Peter Frampton, 55m downloads of Baby I Love Your Way. $1700

https://twitter.com/peterframpton/st...400832?lang=en

That's why I won't pay them, or any of the other streaming services, in their current model. For me, it's a platform for checking out artists, and then buying their stuff ( direct from the artist, if I can) if I like it... a bit like the radio.
    It's tough to say how much artists should receive.

When artists first get signed by a label they are given a contract to record a number of songs or albums and they get that money regardless of how successful the songs/albums are. They don't ever get paid for a single song.

When they get a bit more famous, they may have percentages of sales included in their contracts and the biggest acts start their own labels to cut out the middle man altogether.

Also, it's not 55m downloads, it's 55m listens. 1 million people could have played it 55 times. Or 55 people could have listened to it a million times. 😁

However, Frampton had the earnings from his contact, the sale of hard copies of the song, and from the playing of it in front of live audience. Along with the $1700.

I'm not sure that listening without paying, irrespective of how frequently they listen to an individual track, gives anyone the moral high ground on this. Unless they buy every song they listen to, of course.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 23-03-2021 at 05:44 PM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    It's tough to say how much artists should receive.

When artists first get signed by a label they are given a contract to record a number of songs or albums and they get that money regardless of how successful the songs/albums are. They don't ever get paid for a single song.

When they get a bit more famous, they may have percentages of sales included in their contracts and the biggest acts start their own labels to cut out the middle man altogether.

Also, it's not 55m downloads, it's 55m listens. 1 million people could have played it 55 times. Or 55 people could have listened to it a million times. 😁

However, Frampton had the earnings from his contact, the sale of hard copies of the song, and from the playing of it in front of live audience. Along with the $1700.

I'm not sure that listening without paying, irrespective of how frequently they listen to an individual track, gives anyone the moral high ground on this. Unless they buy every song they listen to, of course.
    It is a tough one for sure. And, yeah, I got my streams and my downthingies mixed up 😁

I'm really not bothered about the likes of Frampton... He has enough cash from one ubiquitous hohum album from the 70s.😈 The issue for me is those who rely on sales to make a living. Some artists might see Spotify as another form of advertising, but most don't.

The argument against "paying artists what they're worth ", of course, is that Spotify themselves don't make money. As I understand it, it's the record companies and the publishing companies that do. Same as it ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It is a tough one for sure. And, yeah, I got my streams and my downthingies mixed up 😁

I'm really not bothered about the likes of Frampton... He has enough cash from one ubiquitous hohum album from the 70s.😈 The issue for me is those who rely on sales to make a living. Some artists might see Spotify as another form of advertising, but most don't.

The argument against "paying artists what they're worth ", of course, is that Spotify themselves don't make money. As I understand it, it's the record companies and the publishing companies that do. Same as it ever was.
    Everyone has their snout in the trough, for sure, but I'm not sure which artists rely on sales to make a living.

Maybe if you buy direct from them, they get the profit instead of Amazon or HMV, but they won't get any more than their contract is worth otherwise. Certainly not initially.

The number of times their songs are streamed on Spotify or Tidal etc will be taken into account when contract renewal time comes around. That's when sales percentages might come into play.

The big money maker for bands now, of course, is live performances. Ticket prices for gigs have gone through the roof since the bottom fell out of CD and record sales and I don't mind paying more because I don't spend the cash on the hard copies.