hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I`m one who hasn`t been attracted by the latest HSL campaign enough to consider donating to the cause. Might still do so before Saturday but when not working at present due to lockdown, and ST renewals looming, I`ll probably keep it to put towards that instead.

When it comes to the crunch, ST renewals will be the single most important financial commitment you can make to the club, whether there are guarantees of actually seeing any action or not. I`m sure this will be the message that will be relayed to the support when the time comes.
    Had to think long and hard about it too, having not earned a penny for a year and not eligible for any of the government support. Not pleading poverty as I have a pension but it’s still tight. However, dipped in and paid the minimum £25 as certainly would have been at the semi.
    Really disappointing that less than a thousand supporters have seen the benefit this initiative would offer the club but fully understand why some simply cannot.
    Glad we have Ron at the helm, who seems to be quietly ponying up but it is important that we don’t see it dip in to investment secured against club assets. Never want to see the club under that threat again.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've sent a proposal to Killie.

I've offered them the £1M they need to survive on condition they clean the manky seats in the Rugby Park away end.

They've rejected the offer.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 21-01-2021 at 08:55 AM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I've sent a proposal to Killie.

I've offered them the £1M they need to survive on condition they clean the manky seats in the Rugby Park away end.

They've rejected the offer.
    While they're at it they could do with spacing them out more; this aint the fifties and we aren't all 5ft 8.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Ken that's meant as tongue in cheek, but I doubt this is a time for levity. Its Killie now but how long before its somebody else and then somebody else and then somebody else and then eventually us?

Yes the fans have pulled Hibs through, but how long will that last? Folk have paid for STs for a season where they thought they might see some football, now it looks likely that it might not even be next season that fans are allowed back in anything like the numbers in a normal season. How many will be able or willing to buy a season ticket for 21/22 if there is no guarantee they will get to games then either?

Look at the current HSL initiative aimed at every Hibs fan, not just their members. So far the total stands at 20K of a 100K target with three days to go until the semi the initiative is based around. Don't get me wrong, it was a noble idea and 20K is still a decent amount, but clearly the fact that so far only a 5th of the target has been achieved is the first sign that optimism around what fans are willing, or more pertinently able, to continue to give may be a tad misplaced.

So ok perhaps there is still room for a bit of gallows humour, lets just hope that by the time we've all stopped laughing there's enough full time clubs left to form a credible professional league in Scotland.

Not sure if you've read that thread properly, but the figure quoted is only up to 13th Jan (IIRC). There is a lag between payments made and it being collected and showing on the accumulated total.

I do wonder if HSL should have specified a target though, it just seems like a stick to beat the fans/club with when we don't get close to it.

WE should have a competition for the closest guess. I reckon we will make it to £30,000. Not a bad effort if we do.

@hibs.net private member
    I frankly think that it’s amazing that we are donating ( yes I did) so much .20k per month and a one off of something like 30-40k, particularly during these extraordinary times. It would be much much more if Ron would continue to sell us shares. 270k per annum free money is not to be sniffed at

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    But but but Ron the Con etc
    I honestly think the only reason anyone has ever even slightly taken that on board is because it has a catchy ring to it. He’s already put millions into us. There’s no basis to it.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Not sure if you've read that thread properly, but the figure quoted is only up to 13th Jan (IIRC). There is a lag between payments made and it being collected and showing on the accumulated total.

I do wonder if HSL should have specified a target though, it just seems like a stick to beat the fans/club with when we don't get close to it.

WE should have a competition for the closest guess. I reckon we will make it to £30,000. Not a bad effort if we do.
    No I was aware of the lag, 20K was just the last figure I had seen quoted which made it pretty obvious that the initiative wasn't going to reach anything like it's target by Saturday, in all honesty I never thought it would. When I saw the 100K target I never thought it was realistic from the beginning and like you I was worried that failure to raise more than 50K of it could be used as a stick to beat us with.

If HSL had left the target off the initiative and just asked folk to give then 30K if that is where it does end up would have been, as you say, a pretty good effort, especially when put on top of the contribution fans are already making. I always think over ambitious targets are something you have to be careful with, just like in politics if you reach a self imposed one nobody really cares, but if you don't your opponents use it against you.

Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    I frankly think that it’s amazing that we are donating ( yes I did) so much .20k per month and a one off of something like 30-40k, particularly during these extraordinary times. It would be much much more if Ron would continue to sell us shares. 270k per annum free money is not to be sniffed at
    That ship has sailed sadly, although no can ever persuade me that the dilution of the HSL shareholding was fair.

You’re right though, the fans contribution is a tremendous effort, particularly when you consider other factors like the level of season ticket sales and the financial uncertainty many people face just now.

No I was aware of the lag, 20K was just the last figure I had seen quoted which made it pretty obvious that the initiative wasn't going to reach anything like it's target by Saturday, in all honesty I never thought it would. When I saw the 100K target I never thought it was realistic from the beginning and like you I was worried that failure to raise more than 50K of it could be used as a stick to beat us with.

If HSL had left the target off the initiative and just asked folk to give then 30K if that is where it does end up would have been, as you say, a pretty good effort, especially when put on top of the contribution fans are already making. I always think over ambitious targets are something you have to be careful with, just like in politics if you reach a self imposed one nobody really cares, but if you don't your opponents use it against you.
    I did comment that there could be the possibility of it being underwritten by someone wealthy for this reason of looking like failing while actually achieving a notable amount of fundraising for the club.
    As you say it will be seized upon by the naysayers if we're even £10k short and will be a shame if that's the case

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaff View Post
    I did comment that there could be the possibility of it being underwritten by someone wealthy for this reason of looking like failing while actually achieving a notable amount of fundraising for the club.
    As you say it will be seized upon by the naysayers if we're even £10k short and will be a shame if that's the case
    As the person that took the idea for the initiative to HSL, we did discuss (with other input) the £100k target and whether or not that was over-ambitious, and at the end of the day I don't think it really matters.

We broke it down and thought that if we could get 4000 - a fraction of what we'd take to Hampden - to donate the minimum £25, we'd get there and we didn't think that would be a huge leap if we got a bit of momentum with it.

Ultimately the goal was to try and give the club a boost with the aim of being able to generate enough money that the club *could* (we have no say in how they spend it) fund the player that might be the difference in us winning a cup or not winning a cup.

I think folk who want to beat on HSL will do so regardless, if HSL fall well short they should be praised for trying, and I'd love to see more of this kind of thing because ultimately, it will make the club better.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    As the person that took the idea for the initiative to HSL, we did discuss (with other input) the £100k target and whether or not that was over-ambitious, and at the end of the day I don't think it really matters.

We broke it down and thought that if we could get 4000 - a fraction of what we'd take to Hampden - to donate the minimum £25, we'd get there and we didn't think that would be a huge leap if we got a bit of momentum with it.

Ultimately the goal was to try and give the club a boost with the aim of being able to generate enough money that the club *could* (we have no say in how they spend it) fund the player that might be the difference in us winning a cup or not winning a cup.

I think folk who want to beat on HSL will do so regardless, if HSL fall well short they should be praised for trying, and I'd love to see more of this kind of thing because ultimately, it will make the club better.

I don't see any harm in having a target for money being raised. It maybe gives that extra bit of incentive.

If the end figure is actually £50k, that's still £50k that the club wouldn't otherwise have had.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I don't see any harm in having a target for money being raised. It maybe gives that extra bit of incentive.

If the end figure is actually £50k, that's still £50k that the club wouldn't otherwise have had.
    Exactly mate, at a time where the club would have got exactly £0 ticket income from a semi that would otherwise have been very lucrative, plugging that shortfall is definitely going to help.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Kilmarnock director Phyllis McLeish demands £16.5m in divorce pay off from estranged spouse.

No problem and no need to explain. It's a great idea and hope we can grow the amount, especially if a win on Saturday does boost folk into participation, defeat is not to be discussed but hopefully won't grind to a halt even if the worst happens.

Aim for the stars an if you only reach the moon it is still pretty freekin good.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    It’s a baffling claim to begin with, but even more so given the current circumstances.

Have to say, Killie won’t be the last SPL club to struggle with the finances. You do wonder where Scottish Football will be by the end of this year, how many clubs will fold?
    Propped up by the Rangers :)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

What do we take to semis? 10-15k? Not sure.

Anyway we’ve never been in a semi-final in January during an epidemic (I think) but Club 86 in its height IIRC (from Mr Cranston RIP great guy) was £100k. That was within a year. But Extrordinary Times (did you buy the James’ Christmas Special edition stuff Matty?)

Good to aspire to believing in better, but lots of uncertainty around jobs, COVID its a toughie so any additional amount over than would have otherwise been the case needs to be applauded.

For the folks that have promoted and crafted supporting materials for this I salute you - extremely professional, the presentation was first class given the timescales, and securing the support of an articulate Hibee in Grant Scott to support and be the voice and face bravo!

This can only stand us in good stead for the future initiatives - the force is strong in the foundations forged here.

Thanks and good night.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    What do we take to semis? 10-15k? Not sure.

Anyway we’ve never been in a semi-final in January during an epidemic (I think) but Club 86 in its height IIRC (from Mr Cranston RIP great guy) was £100k. That was within a year. But Extrordinary Times (did you buy the James’ Christmas Special edition stuff Matty?)

Good to aspire to believing in better, but lots of uncertainty around jobs, COVID its a toughie so any additional amount over than would have otherwise been the case needs to be applauded.

For the folks that have promoted and crafted supporting materials for this I salute you - extremely professional, the presentation was first class given the timescales, and securing the support of an articulate Hibee in Grant Scott to support and be the voice and face bravo!

This can only stand us in good stead for the future initiatives - the force is strong in the foundations forged here.

Thanks and good night.
    Times are definitely tough for people, the thinking here was that we were only looking for people who would have been spending that money anyway - how many of us would have found the money to go to Hampden.

If Hampden would have been out of reach financially, totally understandable, then nobody would be expecting folk to be able to find the money for this initiative.

It’s aimed at the folk who would have bought a ticket and gone to the game, so by definition the people who could afford it.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

I see where you’re coming from and largely agree. The target and what have you made good reading but the current figure includes regular Direct Debit donations outside of the initiative. I asked at the start if the figures could be separated, but they can’t I was advised.
    Doing the sums in the dark then the initiative doesn’t look like it is close to adding much to the normal monthly intake which (I thought) was in the region of £20k before you start.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I see where you’re coming from and largely agree. The target and what have you made good reading but the current figure includes regular Direct Debit donations outside of the initiative. I asked at the start if the figures could be separated, but they can’t I was advised.
    Doing the sums in the dark then the initiative doesn’t look like it is close to adding much to the normal monthly intake which (I thought) was in the region of £20k before you start.
    I think it would depend on when direct debits are taken normally. If they’re mostly taken at the start of the month then your assessment would be about right, if at the end of the month then we know we’ve raised about what’s in there now, if the direct debits are spread throughout the month, the impact will be less clear until the final total is known.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I think it would depend on when direct debits are taken normally. If they’re mostly taken at the start of the month then your assessment would be about right, if at the end of the month then we know we’ve raised about what’s in there now, if the direct debits are spread throughout the month, the impact will be less clear until the final total is known.
    👍

https://www.football-espana.net/2021...mpression=true

Lots of clubs in bother now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    While they're at it they could do with spacing them out more; this aint the fifties and we aren't all 5ft 8.
    5ft 8inches?

Are you joking? You need to be 5ft 6inches or below and have no legs to sit comfortably at Killie.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Now, I thought the comments above about poaching Killie's best players were in poor taste, but in this case I will make an exception. Pony up Ron.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    I’d laugh like a drain if Barca went bust though. Would be sad if Killie went though.

Taking Barcelona out of the picture, it's a tough world and it's tough times for a lot of people.

At this time, you need to take the emotion out of it. Hibs, as a business, have a Board of Directors who run the club, and it's their job to make Hibs a sustainable business. A sustainable business does not rely on donations from the public just to keep afloat - especially at a time when they are taking on new employees at a considerable cost.

Individuals can ofcourse do as they please with their money - but when I was in business, the company had to trade in profit, whatever happened - and that's the reality I hope the Hibs directors are facing up to. It's not an easy job. Let's hope that all they were taught at business school gets them through it.

Is the gamble of buying a few new players worth the risk of bankruptcy?

Is the long term investment in 20 / 30 / 40 youth players in the hope of unearthing one Scott Brown worth the short term pain?

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    Taking Barcelona out of the picture, it's a tough world and it's tough times for a lot of people.

At this time, you need to take the emotion out of it. Hibs, as a business, have a Board of Directors who run the club, and it's their job to make Hibs a sustainable business. A sustainable business does not rely on donations from the public just to keep afloat - especially at a time when they are taking on new employees at a considerable cost.

Individuals can ofcourse do as they please with their money - but when I was in business, the company had to trade in profit, whatever happened - and that's the reality I hope the Hibs directors are facing up to. It's not an easy job. Let's hope that all they were taught at business school gets them through it.

Is the long term investment in 20 / 30 / 40 youth players in the hope of unearthing one Scott Brown worth the short term pain?
    Football isn’t like normal business though. Fans make enormous emotional investment in it, there’s no other way to explain why 11,000 people bought season tickets or why fans are donating £20,000/ month.

I suspect the successful business man who owns Hibs is well aware of the clubs finances whilst he releases funds to secure new or existing players contracts.

I’d be very surprised if Hibs risking bankruptcy with the current expenditure levels

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post

Are you concerned at the way the club is being run and do you doubt the current owner and board? You’ve posted a few negative posts the past couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Are you concerned at the way the club is being run and do you doubt the current owner and board? You’ve posted a few negative posts the past couple of days.
    I’m not trying to be overly negative - hopefully just realistic. As you say, you can only trust that the owners have it all covered.
    Hopefully a good result tomorrow will help!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Barca are a basket case right now. The pandemic has made everything worse... but their problems precede it.