hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member

Employers Excessive

Although lucky to have kept working throughout the pandemic my employer thinks nothing of expecting a 12/14 hour day or 55 - 60 hours a week. Even pre pandemic there was an unhealthy work culture.

Is anyone else experiencing the same? A director told us since there is no need to travel to work we can work a few more hours each day.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FifeHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Although lucky to have kept working throughout the pandemic my employer thinks nothing of expecting a 12/14 hour day or 55 - 60 hours a week. Even pre pandemic there was an unhealthy work culture.

Is anyone else experiencing the same? A director told us since there is no need to travel to work we can work a few more hours each day.
    I'm sure by law you can only work 48 hours a week unless you specifically state you have opted out of that which needs to be voluntary and in writing, for your work to pull you up about doing any more than that is illegal

@hibs.net private member
    We Were all asked to sign the form opting out. Some longer days are required but some days can be in excess of 14

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

I'm not had any senior staff say anything as explicit as that but it's been a very busy year with some weeks 50+ hours

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    As long as the additional hours are paid then I’d accept it but it is unreasonable to expect the extra hours for the same money. It’s also unacceptable for it to be a considered mandatory and you should be able to manage your work/life balance to suit yourself.

It's a by product of any decline in the job market, the 'buyer' is in the strong position so exploits the fact their employees believe they are lucky to have a job and are vulnerable to being easily replaceable. Not all bosses or employers of course but I've certainly encountered a few in my time.

During the summer I was regularly putting in 50-60 hour weeks and tbh after sitting on my arse for 8 weeks I quite enjoyed it. It was never demanded or expected though it was very much a choice. The trade off is I'm now on a 2 day week and not even working my full hours on those days. Thinking back to the financial crash of 2008 and the sluggish job market for the best part of 4 or 5 years afterwards is a different story. I was in hospitality at the time and workers were treated appallingly. The hotel I worked in had pretty much all non salaried staff on zero hour contracts, they amended the contracts to include an opt out of maximum working hours and rest breaks. It was never explicitly stated but it was heavily implied that refusal to agree would mean no hours being allocated to that person. I was salaried but even still was putting in a horrendous number of hours, 70+ a week wasn't uncommon. The whole culture was to operate at the bare minimum staffing level, push staff to breaking point then replace them with the next unfortunate and desperate soul when they finally snapped. I resigned on the spot after one incident. I'd worked 7 days straight and just under 80 hours one week; the Sunday night saw the annual dinner of the sports club of which the general manager was a member being held in the hotel. Most of the attendees were staying so could drink in the residents bar until whenever they wanted, usually we would call time at a certain point but we were instructed not to do this under any circumstances. At about 2am I sent the last off the staff home and stayed alone, the last person finally sloped off to bed about 3.30am. I cleared down, jumped on a night bus home and got to bed at about 4.45. I was back up at 6.15 and in the hotel for 7.30. I was greeted by the GM who went into a rant about the floor behind the bar not having been mopped correctly, I explained the situation and said I would rectify it. He shrugged his shoulders, called me a 'lazy *******' and walked away. I wrote my resignation letter on the back of a cocktail napkin

I think there is a balance to be found. Working in a job now which is still linked to hospitality and is directly in supply chain I've seen the number of redundancies and job losses and it's frightening. I do feel very fortunate to still have a job for the time being. There is an inevitability that businesses are going to be reliant on remaining staff to pull them through this as there is another wave of job losses on the way when furlough eventually ends; in the worst months of the lockdown our turnover dropped 90%, even in the 'boom' months of the summer we were still 30-40% down on normal. It's unrealistic to expect staffing levels to return to normal in an environment that will still be anything but. I'm a pretty conscientious sort, I'll do my bit but not at the expense of the most basic rights.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    I was on holiday for 4 days at Christmas and received calls all through them for hours at a time. We don’t get over time or days back just told it’s all
    Part of the job. Was on a meeting last night management saying because you can’t get out then work keeps you occupied. Some colleagues have had hair falling out last year. Shambles but lucky to have an income at present. I will have done my contracted Hours by lunch time today.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I was on holiday for 4 days at Christmas and received calls all through them for hours at a time. We don’t get over time or days back just told it’s all
    Part of the job. Was on a meeting last night management saying because you can’t get out then work keeps you occupied. Some colleagues have had hair falling out last year. Shambles but lucky to have an income at present. I will have done my contracted Hours by lunch time today.
    Fife what industry are you employed in?

To be in a situation where you've worked your contracted hours by Wednesday lunch time is ridiculous. Management justifying it by playing the COVID card is still not right.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    We Were all asked to sign the form opting out. Some longer days are required but some days can be in excess of 14
    Pretty sure you can opt back in at any time.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Worth noting that the EU directive on working hours is averaged over 16(I think) weeks.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Worth noting that the EU directive on working hours is averaged over 16(I think) weeks.
    Also worth noting that the tories are trying to get rid of this. To promote stuff like what the OP is experiencing. Sad times for the country.

@hibs.net private member
    Offshore Wind Cable installation we have circa 15 vessels across multiple projects although I’m based onshore. I’d jack it in an instant And also tied into 3 months notice.

Offshore Wind Cable installation we have circa 15 vessels across multiple projects although I’m based onshore. I’d jack it in an instant And also tied into 3 months notice.
    Go off sick with work related stress caused by excessive hours and see what the ***** have to say. Use the time to find another job.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Go off sick with work related stress caused by excessive hours and see what the ***** have to say. Use the time to find another job.
    Unsure if being off sick with stress harms applications to other companies.

Unsure if being off sick with stress harms applications to other companies.
    Is that something you have to declare?

Does your HR department have anything to say about it? What about at least paying over time for the extra hours you've been working? Companies cannot get away with this.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

Does your HR department have anything to say about it? What about at least paying over time for the extra hours you've been working? Companies cannot get away with this.
    There is no company policy for OT. They say speak to line manager who is the MD. Complete shambles

There is no company policy for OT. They say speak to line manager who is the MD. Complete shambles
    So you get any kind of bonus or is it just for the good of the company?
    One of the reasons I work for myself is because I refuse to do anything that I'm not getting paid for.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

I know that there are jobs and companies who will and do pay for overtime, but generally speaking surely it's quite common place for salaried employees to not get paid overtime?

It sounds like the OP is having to do a lot of it, and if that's been a long term problem then it's absolutely something the company should be looking to address though.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Have to say my work have been great throughout this whole period. We've been working from home since March and have been looked after in every respect very well. At the start we were told under no circumstances to work extra hours, only our contracted hours. This has changed recently and our flex time has been re-instated but is monitored to make sure no one is overdoing it. I appreciate everything they have done for us and as a result of this will go the extra mile as and when get back to the office.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    So you get any kind of bonus or is it just for the good of the company?
    One of the reasons I work for myself is because I refuse to do anything that I'm not getting paid for.
    I was a contractor for years but due to oil down turn I went staff with a wind company.
    Bonus are selective by management. I have never seen a company with so many leave with no other employment lined up. “It’s part of the job” “ lucky to have a job” etc ****ing shambles

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I was a contractor for years but due to oil down turn I went staff with a wind company.
    Bonus are selective by management. I have never seen a company with so many leave with no other employment lined up. “It’s part of the job” “ lucky to have a job” etc ****ing shambles
    Sounds like you need to get something else and get out asap

There’s something deeply deeply wrong with a company that has numerous staff leave with nothing to go to. I think it’s time you followed the guys who already have. Toxicity to the points you’ve explained is something that will not change without serious changes at board level.

As an aside, would there be scope for you to change to an hourly rate so you are paid for work you’re actually doing?

Either that or you go to the point of writing a letter to your manager saying you are doing your contracted hours, with occasional overtime when required (ie if in the middle of a call when you should be clocking off). If they want to sack you it’s easy for you to counter claim unfair dismissal, because you’re doing nothing wrong.

I am full time home working at the moment, but 8 hours is plenty of time to be tied to the desk.
    Last edited by Jones28; 20-01-2021 at 08:40 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Join the union. RMT Railway, Maritime and Transport.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Join the union. RMT Railway, Maritime and Transport.
    I’m office based would I still be able to join

Left by mutual consent!
    Absolutely yes

December/January time we are expected to do long weeks because of the tax return deadline. We do however get toil for it, so it isn't a disaster.

Do it

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Yes of course, heres the thing. If at least 50% of the companies workforce are in a union then the company must recognise it. Give them a call and they will be able to advise you more. https://www.rmt.org.uk/home/
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Unions are brilliant things.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Yes of course, heres the thing. If at least 50% of the companies workforce are in a union then the company must recognise it. Give them a call and they will be able to advise you more. https://www.rmt.org.uk/home/
    Thank you I’ll have to check. I’ve now started keeping a record of texts to personnel phone like tonight at 20:30 asking to join a 21:00 call to create a log of events