hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: David Tanner

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s exactly what it is, although folk won’t admit it.
    I think he's useless as a presenter, has little knowledge on anything Hibs, and to cap it all he's a hun.

And our season tickets go towards his wages, damn right i'm against him presenting the show to me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

He's not very good but I really can't get that worked up by him. That's as both presenter of The Match and as self employed media type spraffing about football and Rangers on Twitter.

I switch the game on just before kick off, watch the 1st half, potter about doing other stuff/moaning on here/proclaiming we are going to win the league at HT then watch the 2nd half. I half listen to the chat but that's it.

For what it is the Hibs offering has been pretty decent imo. Put together relatively quickly and I can't imagine it's a huge budget. Good guests, decent commentators and it's relatively slick. I'd rather not have to watch football like this ever again but for now it will do.

I notice that the argument from this thread has been continued on a completely unrelated thread.

I presume Lockdown is getting to some people more than they'd care to admit.

Edit: I just noticed it's on two other threads that are both now locked as a result.

Come on, this is getting silly now.

Last edited by Keith_M; 05-03-2021 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Now. I never said anything of the sort. You brought the allegiances of these other sides into it, not me. I expressed disdain at Tanner trumpeting about Rangers and I reserve the absolute right to do as a card-carrying Hibby. There really are not many of us who have much time for them or his adoration of Alfredo Morelos, a clearly despicable wee man.
    I suggested that fans of other clubs could do one just the same if it came to it after you mentioned Celtic and Aberdeen. Irrelevant then and irrelevant now.
    Tanner or anyone else for that matter are quite welcome to support whatever club they choose as long as they can shut ****ing up about it while taking a retainer from the Hibs. That’s my opinion.
    I also think he is utterly, utterly crap at what presenting he does and I am healthy in my dislike, thanks.
    That’s all you had to say, you hate the fact he speaks so openly about the best side in the league in his other job. You could’ve left it at that. It was clear it wasn’t because he champions any other club, it’s the fact it’s Rangers, hence my point about Aberdeen and Celtic. He works for Hibs 30 minutes prior to a game to 30 minutes after, beyond that he has another job nothing to do with Hibs. He’s not going anywhere, and neither he should.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I think he's useless as a presenter, has little knowledge on anything Hibs, and to cap it all he's a hun.

And our season tickets go towards his wages, damn right i'm against him presenting the show to me.
    Who he supports makes absolutely no difference to his ability to do his job for us. My season ticket also goes towards him and I couldn’t give a toss who he supports. Folk getting far too worked up about it. Would we care as much if the stadium announcer was a Rangers fan when we were in the grounds?

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I notice that the argument from this thread has been continued on a completely unrelated thread.

I presume Lockdown is getting to some people more than they'd care to admit.
    It’s not really, I had to research on a poster who had plenty personal stuff to say about me, I’d no knowledge of him and quickly found two examples that shown him up to be ever such the hypocrite when it came to the questions of A) disliking the Hun and B) grumbling about a part of Hibs TV.
    That’s one of the reasons the search buttons exist I think.
    The threads are closed now so I don’t see it continuing as you say, and I also see it less as an argument but more of a debate. No?

Your own advice not so long ago was simply not to read the things that you found pointless or irrelevant.
    Sound advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    He's not very good but I really can't get that worked up by him. That's as both presenter of The Match and as self employed media type spraffing about football and Rangers on Twitter.

I switch the game on just before kick off, watch the 1st half, potter about doing other stuff/moaning on here/proclaiming we are going to win the league at HT then watch the 2nd half. I half listen to the chat but that's it.

For what it is the Hibs offering has been pretty decent imo. Put together relatively quickly and I can't imagine it's a huge budget. Good guests, decent commentators and it's relatively slick. I'd rather not have to watch football like this ever again but for now it will do.
    In a nutshell.

That’s all you had to say, you hate the fact he speaks so openly about the best side in the league in his other job. You could’ve left it at that. It was clear it wasn’t because he champions any other club, it’s the fact it’s Rangers, hence my point about Aberdeen and Celtic. He works for Hibs 30 minutes prior to a game to 30 minutes after, beyond that he has another job nothing to do with Hibs. He’s not going anywhere, and neither he should.
    You keep using the word ‘hate’ fellah, not me. I’m only giving my healthy opinion, you don’t have to like it.

It’s not really, I had to research on a poster who had plenty personal stuff to say about me, I’d no knowledge of him and quickly found two examples that shown him up to be ever such the hypocrite when it came to the questions of A) disliking the Hun and B) grumbling about a part of Hibs TV.
    That’s one of the reasons the search buttons exist I think.
    The threads are closed now so I don’t see it continuing as you say, and I also see it less as an argument but more of a debate. No?

Your own advice not so long ago was simply not to read the things that you found pointless or irrelevant.
    Sound advice.

It's not to do with not relevant, though, is it.

I have to say that I normally enjoy your posts but I've noticed that you've been lashing out at folk lately over simple misunderstandings and disagreements and are now basically stalking them.

I expect you'll have lots to say about this as well, but it's just not cool, mate.

p.s. I think I'm out of here till some folk calm down, as it's taking away any fun from the message board just now.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright_Hibee View Post
    Do you not think the commercial staff have enough on their plate without posting their email addresses online and asking people to complain to them about David Tanner? He's not my cup of tea, but does an okay job, even if some of his stuff makes my toes curl.

For what it's worth, the marketing and communications has taken an upturn since GM was put in place. I'm a codger so I'm not an expert on social media, but it's good to go on it and see the club bigging up sources of revenue instead of berating them, like the Murder Mystery nights. There's still improvement to be made, but I am hopeful that GM will make them once he sorts out his own team, especially with that recently advertised job heading up that department. A refresh is good to see and hopefully it will lead to a suitably qualified person doing that job.
    For someone based in Canada you seem to know an awful lot about Hibs, and given a good slagging to a few staff members since you joined

Is it not right for the club to talk or listen to their customers, as that’s what we all are. Surely no one is too busy to talk to their customers, as you are saying

I’ve said I’ve no issue with Tanner, others have

I think if we were to summarise this thread, Hibspass is not a very good marketing communication to Hibs fans, some not even bothering to switch on until kick off
    Some of the studio guests have been good, but the one where Graeme Mathie was embarrassed was a shocker

What an opportunity the club have missed, and with Ron’s background in this area, he can’t be happy

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    It's not to do with not relevant, though, is it.

I have to say that I normally enjoy your posts but I've noticed that you've been lashing out at folk over simple misunderstandings and disagreements and are now basically stalking them.

I expect you'll have lots to say about this as well, but it's just not cool, mate.
    I’ll have something to say in reply to that for certain.
    I’m giving my opinion on David Tanner. I never started the thread, I’m simply joining in. I never resurrected it either, it started in January.
    I’m ‘lashing out’ as you put it at the fellah who took opinions to a personal level and I had to find out who he was as I had absolutely no recollection of him. At all.
    I dislike David Tanner and his presentation and that’s not cool but battering on Kamberi seems to be OK as does criticising the Irish commentator guy. Not entirely unrelated you see?

Away with the stalking stuff, behave yourself, that’s just shabby. I just wanted to know where he was at. And I found it.

Who he supports makes absolutely no difference to his ability to do his job for us. My season ticket also goes towards him and I couldn’t give a toss who he supports. Folk getting far too worked up about it. Would we care as much if the stadium announcer was a Rangers fan when we were in the grounds?
    Who he supports makes a big difference to me, if he was commentating on his huns, i'm pretty sure he would be more up to date on his facts.

I hope we dont have to put up with him much longer, but if we have another season of this pish, we should have someone Hibs minded presenting the show, a monkey could do it just as well as he does.

Who he supports makes a big difference to me, if he was commentating on his huns, i'm pretty sure he would be more up to date on his facts.

I hope we dont have to put up with him much longer, but if we have another season of this pish, we should have someone Hibs minded presenting the show, a monkey could do it just as well as he does.
    Doubt it, he’d still be getting fed what to say by his producer. The same way any presenter anywhere will speak what they are told to say. I watch MNF every week on Sky and they are forever repeating what is told in their ear.

He’s never shown any allegiance to Rangers on air as far as I remember and does more for Hibs in relation to his Edinburgh football show than most Hibs fans in media do (even promoting HibsPicks on a completely unrelated platform).

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    For someone based in Canada you seem to know an awful lot about Hibs, and given a good slagging to a few staff members since you joined

Is it not right for the club to talk or listen to their customers, as that’s what we all are. Surely no one is too busy to talk to their customers, as you are saying

I think if we were to summarise this thread, Hibspass is not a very good marketing communication to Hibs fans, some not even bothering to switch on until kick off
    Some of the studio guests have been good, but the one where Graeme Mathie was embarrassed was a shocker

What an opportunity the club have missed, and with Ron’s background in this area, he can’t be happy
    Has it been that much of an opportunity missed?

It was a hastily thrown together, low budget way of getting us to watch football this season and it’s been fairly well received.

Some folk don’t like Tanner, some folk don’t love Cliff and Tam, some folk just watch the game and nothing else.

Over the piece it gets pass marks at least for me and I’m sure almost everyone, even those who dislike aspects of it.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Ive eaten 100 packet of crisps (or potato chips for our trans Atlantic friends) and consumed numerous world wide beers and wines laughing at this thread. Hibs fans are ACE
    Last edited by Lancs Harp; 06-03-2021 at 07:45 AM.

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Has it been that much of an opportunity missed?

It was a hastily thrown together, low budget way of getting us to watch football this season and it’s been fairly well received.

Some folk don’t like Tanner, some folk don’t love Cliff and Tam, some folk just watch the game and nothing else.

Over the piece it gets pass marks at least for me and I’m sure almost everyone, even those who dislike aspects of it.
    I've never understood the dislike for Tanner, he's hardly the worlds greatest presenter, but he was hired to do a job and he's done it in a professional manner, don't think you can ask for much more than that tbf.

Ok so outwith who he supports he's still pi sh at his chosen job, that's my main reason for not liking him, add in he's a Hun too and there you have 2 reasons.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post

I agree that having Mathie in was bad and it wasn't wise having Irvine Welsh in, but Hibs TV has improved a lot since Greg has come in.

As a Hibs fan living abroad Hibs TV and the website are both lifelines for me to keep up to date with the club. I pay my dues for Hibs TV and I'm entitled to have my say on it and I'm entitled to my say on written stuff too. I am maybe too old to get to grips with social media, but I try my best to follow stuff there too. I'm definitely not a whippersnapper so find that hard, but I'm a bit anal when it comes to other stuff and maybe take it out on the wrong staff members.

My views are skewed given I'm so far away but the recent job in that department has shown Ron's hand and indicates to me that he is generally happy with the Hibs TV stuff. I like it but find David Tanner a bit cringe and some of the adverts pish but they probably make money. In fact he seems like he is looking to improve the written communication and marketing which I have said before is quite bad. It was at its best when the English guy (I forgot his name) was there it was stuff I enjoyed reading it and he emailed us all the time and it was good to be engaged with to that degree. From the time of the Lennon leaving shambles the written stuff hasn't been of the quality I would expect and I think Ron has recognised that with the new job.

That is my two cents and I am entitled to it, even if I am based far away. My love for the club doesn't diminish.

First Team Breakthrough
    Im not finding this any more trivial than the temperature of the pies.
    I do have an issue with any one at Hibs, any pay level, on any arrangement, that chooses to triumph online, regularly, about one of our rivals.
    And, I find him cheesy and irritating regardless of his allegiance - for a TV presenter that’s not usually a good thing.
    I’m not irate in the slightest, but you my man, appear condescending to a fault, twice now, even though I have no recollection of any discussion with you on any subject before now. I think you’re at it and seeking to provoke a reaction. Best leave your opinion of me at that before one of us says something here that one might not say close up and in the real world, and that might cause an interesting thread to suffer.
    My wife read this over my shoulder and called me a moody erse. The judge has spoken but she might be biased against me

I am happy to move on and agree to disagree. Sorry for being an erse

Quote Originally Posted by Bright_Hibee View Post
    My wife read this over my shoulder and called me a moody erse. The judge has spoken but she might be biased against me

I am happy to move on and agree to disagree. Sorry for being an erse
    Accepted, agreed and I’m sorry for being a stalker!

Doubt it, he’d still be getting fed what to say by his producer. The same way any presenter anywhere will speak what they are told to say. I watch MNF every week on Sky and they are forever repeating what is told in their ear.

He’s never shown any allegiance to Rangers on air as far as I remember and does more for Hibs in relation to his Edinburgh football show than most Hibs fans in media do (even promoting HibsPicks on a completely unrelated platform).
    A producer for Hibstv, who is it Aaron Spelling?

Everything looks off the cuff, that's why it's so stiff, i think you think we have a budget way above what it is, next you will be telling me they have runners, key grips, dolly grips and best boys.

It's clear we have a dress manager too, Tanners red white and blue shirt was a beauty.

A producer for Hibstv, who is it Aaron Spelling?

Everything looks off the cuff, that's why it's so stiff, i think you think we have a budget way above what it is, next you will be telling me they have runners, key grips, dolly grips and best boys.

It's clear we have a dress manager too, Tanners red white and blue shirt was a beauty.
    You think Tanner writes what he’s going to say himself? Highly doubtful. What’s on his paper will have been written by our communications team I’d imagine.

They should get Kris Boyd to read the advertising. He has previous experience of selling mattresses in North America.
    That would free up Tanner Partridge and his hair dye to concentrate on the show.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 06-03-2021 at 06:05 PM.

"Congratulations Rangers - they’re uncatchable now!
    The fans waited a decade for 55 & deserve a party.
    These scenes are good natured - no sharks harmed - but an open goal for those in govt who have no time for football.
    Said it about the Green Brigade: rules also apply to ultras."

Jeezo. I've not been too keen to jump in on this thread, as I think a couple of the more personal comments cross the line, but Tanner's latest tweet is a shocker IMO. When you consider the way he slaughtered Celtic fans for doing a similar thing at Hampden, it's very hypocritical.

Acting as an apologist for their behaviour during the pandemic is not wise in the slightest. Doing it whilst being paid by Hibs just rubs some salt in the wound.
    Last edited by Vault Boy; 06-03-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    "Congratulations Rangers - they’re uncatchable now!
    The fans waited a decade for 55 & deserve a party.
    These scenes are good natured - no sharks harmed - but an open goal for those in govt who have no time for football.
    Said it about the Green Brigade: rules also apply to ultras."

Jeezo. I've not been too keen to jump in on this thread, as I think a couple of the more personal comments cross the line, but Tanner's latest tweet is a shocker IMO. When you consider the way he slaughtered Celtic fans for doing a similar thing at Hampden, it's very hypocritical. Apologist.
    He won’t have written that! Someone will have written it for him surely.

I tell you something, there’s maybe a few a bit ambivalent towards what he puts up on social media and put the complaining down to an irrational dislike of Huns....but can you imagine the reaction on here if Hearts were his team and he published guff about them whilst in an active role at Hibs?
    Get him off the telly.

I tell you something, there’s maybe a few a bit ambivalent towards what he puts up on social media and put the complaining down to an irrational dislike of Huns....but can you imagine the reaction on here if Hearts were his team and he published guff about them whilst in an active role at Hibs?
    Get him off the telly.

Get him off the telly.
    He does post about Hearts, likes and retweets their team lines and news etc. He’s a Scottish football reporter (with TalkSPORT, no idea the right term) it’s his job.

He does post about Hearts, likes and retweets their team lines and news etc. He’s a Scottish football reporter (with TalkSPORT, no idea the right term) it’s his job.
    Hun apologist.

Hun apologist.
    When tweeting about st Johnstone, Celtic, hearts, Hibs, plenty other Scottish sides? Interesting.

Retweeting a team line isn’t even comparable with this current tripe. He’s not behaving like a ‘reporter’, not like I understand one to work anyway. Did he tweet anything about Hearts when they pumped us out the cup?