hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I watched West Brom beat Wolves 3-2 at the weekend. It wasn’t boring at all.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I think the lack of crowds is why a lot of people are complaining that our football is boring this year. I really don't see it, there are similarities between this side and Stubbsies side from a few years back, patient, passing play. If you were to add the crowd reacting and singing and shouting to our games this season they'd come alive a bit more to the eye and vice versa.

There have been a few games this year where I've come away having enjoyed it and you come on here and people are saying it's eye bleeding or boring or mind numbing or the like and I don't see it.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The combined transfer values of both squads according to transfermaket is around 750m. Obviously not an exact science but the fees and salaries that these guys command is incredible.

I think it’s well established by now that spending 100x more does not get you 100x better players.

Good thread.

I’m not loving the football just now. I obviously watch all of the Hibs games, which have been pretty poor recently, but are engaging because I care about the result.

Other football I normally watch because of the quality of football. But there have been some dire games on sky recently with very little entertainment on show. Which makes it a waste of time if you don’t care about the result.

Villa v Liverpool was a great watch. Hibs games I’ve enjoyed: both Hamilton games, Dundee United at ER, Rangers 2-2 game.

Liverpool v Man Utd has been a dreadful watch for years now, can’t recall the last decent contest between the 2, probably be going back to the 3-3 in season 1993/94 😂

Spanish football is pretty entertaining just now, especially with Barca losing.
    English fitba is pretty mince for entertainment.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I dont really watch much football other than Hibs games these days, they are on in the background but i also do other things while they are on.

I obviously watch our games, and while there have been some awful games, there have also been some very good performances too.

We are all watching the games in very different circumstances at the moment, and the instant way we can comment on any given moment does not really help in my opinion.

I dont think our performances are any worse than before fans were not allowed in, and we are winning much more now which is not even up for question.

And the bollox about accepting a better performance even if we lost is just so funny, considering the comments when we were winning and playing well the last time we qualified for Europe through our league position, and even when we've not won after playing well this season, like the Dundee Utd game.

I thought we played well enough at Ibrox and Parkhead and had some spells of good play in the second half at the weekend (though overall, I agree that one wasn't too great).

The best game (fairly) recently was away to Motherwell.

City, Villa, Leeds and occasionally Southampton and Leicester doon here.

Would have said Wolves but they had lost something (Jota sale and Jimenex injury??)

Radically, I think the game needs change.

The pitch and goals are as they were in 1800s .. yet players are much bigger and athletic in comparison.

I would trial larger goals and 10-a-sides .. and perhaps 4 points for a league win to encourage more goals / entertainment

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Brentford 2 Bournemouth 1 on 30th December.

A cracking, attacking game. Brentford went one down and fought back to win.

Give Brentford a look when you can. High level of skills and always play to win.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I did quite enjoy the Scottish cup final. Rivalry aside it was a classic cup final.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    City, Villa, Leeds and occasionally Southampton and Leicester doon here.

Would have said Wolves but they had lost something (Jota sale and Jimenex injury??)

Radically, I think the game needs change.

The pitch and goals are as they were in 1800s .. yet players are much bigger and athletic in comparison.

I would trial larger goals and 10-a-sides .. and perhaps 4 points for a league win to encourage more goals / entertainment
    I don't think you can make changes that are so fundamental to the game, but I would take the idea of more points and describe it as a bonus point like they do in rugby - and extra point if you score 3 + goals in a match would be a great idea and it rewards attacking play and goals.

A 3-3 draw deserves more recognition than a 0-0 draw IMO.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Myself and my old man have been talking about this for about the last fortnight, we've both got a proper meh attitude to football at the moment. Watching through habit and not much more. If it wasn't for the punting angle we'd probably have chucked it by now.
    This. Never really arsed at the moment to just sit down and watch. Might get to half time then chin it off.

Very sporadic watching habits at the moment.

Finding I can concentrate on rugby better and the NFL.

NFL will be over in a few weeks and the rugby has been halted due to no Champions Cup games as the French have refused to travel to Plague Island.

J

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I did quite enjoy the Scottish cup final. Rivalry aside it was a classic cup final.
    Yea that was a good un.

J

I'm going to change my response to...

16th February 2020 - the last match I attended in person where I watched Hibs win (2-1 at Rugby Park).

I even managed to catch the early train back to Glasgow and avoid the plebs

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    A good thread.

I find it hard at times to concentrate on games where Hibs aren't involved or where I want one team to beat another.

I found before the pandemic to get excited about the Premiership in England except for the odd games and that is still the same. Some of the games are awful. I like Aston Villa games because of John McGinn and because they like to go for it, the 7-2 v Liverpool was great to watch.

Football is on virtually every night and sometimes I switch them on but get bored very quickly.

Hibs Dundee Utd was good viewing until they equalised right at the end and I really enjoyed Motherwell away, it was only in the last few minutes were we guaranteed the win. Also enjoyed the 2-2 home draws with Rangers and Celtic.

Not being able to go to the games and too much on TV can dampen enthusiasm as well.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Aye I agree with the OP

Was talking about this after the Man U Liverpool game and was struggling to remember the last time I watched the so called big hitters down south playing each other & it being an exciting game.

I think that’s becoming the way of football these days. Everything’s so drilled and tactical that most teams either cancel each other out or are scared of losing the game.

Left by mutual consent!
    Football is fundamentally pretty boring. The lack of fans just makes it more obvious. I can’t watch any football I’m not emotionally invested in.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    A good thread.

I find it hard at times to concentrate on games where Hibs aren't involved or where I want one team to beat another.

I found before the pandemic to get excited about the Premiership in England except for the odd games and that is still the same. Some of the games are awful. I like Aston Villa games because of John McGinn and because they like to go for it, the 7-2 v Liverpool was great to watch.

Football is on virtually every night and sometimes I switch them on but get bored very quickly.

Hibs Dundee Utd was good viewing until they equalised right at the end and I really enjoyed Motherwell away, it was only in the last few minutes were we guaranteed the win. Also enjoyed the 2-2 home draws with Rangers and Celtic.

Not being able to go to the games and too much on TV can dampen enthusiasm as well.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly, our games do get me excited still, no matter how we are playing i'm very much still on edge until the final whistle.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Inter v Juventus, two days ago.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

I’ve been watching games but other than Hibs I can’t get into it. Without fans I can’t really see the point of them being played. I see the whole thing is a seemingly never ending pre-season whose purpose is to put us in a strong position for when the real football starts. I’m really missing going to matches.

Had to laugh at the the thread title.
    Last Decent Football Match - No Hibs Content

Like others I watch other games with it on the background paying little to no attention to them.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    City v Villa tonight has been great.
    Enjoyed Leicester v Chelsea last night as well.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    That was a great game at City. Chucked down the whole game too.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Sitting watching the Arsenal vs Newcastle game and finding myself thoroughly bored. It's got me wondering what the last game of football I watched and enjoyed was - I'm grateful for the amount of football that's been on in the evenings lately, but many a time I find myself lamenting just how bad the quality of football on display is. The lack of crowds is perhaps a factor, but the general level of quality has been dire.

What was the last decent game you watched? A decent, end to end, quality football, full of action/incidents game, live? Am I just being really unlucky with the games I've seen?
    Just about every game since covid came and bust football has been gash. Quite simply, no crowds = terrible games.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Absolutely brutal game on the bbc right now

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Absolutely - both of them aren't losing. It's horrible to watch.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Less fear involved in losing FA cup ties. Although it’ll hurt Liverpool, the top clubs don’t massively care about it as it’s the league that brings in the money. Good to see the two of them just opening up and having a go after the ****show last week.

Villa besting Liverpool 7-2 was pretty good watching 😁

Not a game but, a footballing masterclass from Man City last night.