hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Last Decent Football Match?

Sitting watching the Arsenal vs Newcastle game and finding myself thoroughly bored. It's got me wondering what the last game of football I watched and enjoyed was - I'm grateful for the amount of football that's been on in the evenings lately, but many a time I find myself lamenting just how bad the quality of football on display is. The lack of crowds is perhaps a factor, but the general level of quality has been dire.

What was the last decent game you watched? A decent, end to end, quality football, full of action/incidents game, live? Am I just being really unlucky with the games I've seen?
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sitting watching the Arsenal vs Newcastle game and finding myself thoroughly bored. It's got me wondering what the last game of football I watched and enjoyed was - I'm grateful for the amount of football that's been on in the evenings lately, but many a time I find myself lamenting just how bad the quality of football on display is. The lack of crowds is perhaps a factor, but the general level of quality has been dire.

What was the last decent game you watched? A decent, end to end, quality football, full of action/incidents game, live? Am I just being really unlucky with the games I've seen?
    Dundee v Hearts a couple of weeks ago, decent game even better result.

United we stand here....

Barcelona 2-8 Bayern Munich is the only game I can think since the closed doors era started, that I've actually enjoyed watching & been able to forget there is no crowd there.

The German and the Italian football has been a far better watch than anything else lately. Watched Inter v Juve last night and it was a decent watch.

Some of these games in the Premier League have been brutal lately but I, generally, don’t notice much difference to when the fans are in.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Barcelona 2-8 Bayern Munich is the only game I can think since the closed doors era started, that I've actually enjoyed watching & been able to forget there is no crowd there.
    That was the one that popped into my head too if I'm being honest.

The hype probably doesn't help but I can think of so many games that have been built up (especially in the Premier League) and they've just been downright awful.

I do have access to Serie A, La Liga etc via Premier Sport so I'll maybe try paying more attention to that in the coming weeks.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

The combined transfer values of both squads according to transfermaket is around 750m. Obviously not an exact science but the fees and salaries that these guys command is incredible.

Left by mutual consent!
    Supercopa de Espana semi Real Sociedad v Barcelona (Barcelona won on penalties after Sociedad were all over them) then the Final Athletic Bilbao v Barcelona which Bilbao won 3-2. Basque Derby next in Copa Del Rey too.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Definitely is the no fans . Saying that , I fair enjoyed the Scottish cup final 😁
    Also enjoy every Hibs win
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

Myself and my old man have been talking about this for about the last fortnight, we've both got a proper meh attitude to football at the moment. Watching through habit and not much more. If it wasn't for the punting angle we'd probably have chucked it by now.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 18-01-2021 at 11:54 PM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I don't watch loads of football other than Hibs but I really enjoyed the Dundee Utd match and I thought we played some really good football. Quite enjoyed the game v the hun as well. Some of the English games that I have seen have been dreadful. Caught bits of the Liverpool v Man u game and it was rotten. Watched the Manchester derby a few weeks ago and turned it off it was so bad. I think the lack of attendance makes it less interesting. Hopefully when we are allowed back the grounds will be bursting with folk who want to get back to live action again

Been plenty of quality games this season. Strange thread. Usually the kind of thing that pops up when about 40 minutes of an English game is bad though

Barcelona 2, Bilbao 3 last night. Excellent.

Plenty good FA cup ties a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Been plenty of quality games this season. Strange thread. Usually the kind of thing that pops up when about 40 minutes of an English game is bad though

Just to be contrary, I don't think it's strange in the slightest.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    TBH I've taken to the no fans thing reasonably well. Enjoyed a fair bit of football this season.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

Issue is majority of football games are *****, let’s be honest. I enjoy being at Hibs games because I’m a Hibs fan, and I enjoy watching Scottish games due to the commitment and effort. The fact every single English game is on tele means we are watching every game, and if 7 games are fairly boring a weekend they’re the ones we remember. Too much money down there means the majority of big games nobody wants to lose, which kills the spectacle for us neutrals.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Villa v Crystal Palace in December was a good watch. Villa were even better once they were down to 10 men, fantastic, dynamic passing football.

The last game I really enjoyed was the Hibs v Hamilton game. The Dundee Utd game was pretty good despite the ending as well. I always look forward to the Hibs games, what happens once they start determines if I enjoy them.

Tbh I can't remember the last time I watched an entire game that didn't involve Hibs. I watched 4 NFL games this weekend, a chunk of the Masters snooker and a bit of horse racing but had no real desire to watch any of the football on offer. A bit of over saturation and a bit of not really being that into football, Hibs excluded, any more.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Leicester v Southampton on Saturday was a good game, lets face it everyone of us has seen more bad games than good games. Its never been any different. Following a Club like Hibs its what makes our highs, high, very high.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Certainly haven’t been enjoying many English games this season, think there is some truth in the fact that every game is on though is influencing this slightly. Only EPL teams that are good to watch consistently for me are Villa and Leeds.

Agree with others that the foreign offerings are catching a lot more interest for me at the moment, Serie A in particular but also Bayern Munich and some La Liga too. Much more open attacking games with some comical discipline on show!

Other than Hibs games I’ve only watched one game for the full 90 minutes.This was a couple of weeks ago and I enjoyed it.So much so that I’ve completely forgotten which teams played.

Liverpool/Leeds towards the start of the season.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by AL-Qaholik View Post
    Liverpool/Leeds towards the start of the season.
    Yup - the West Brom 0 Leeds 5 was also pretty good (the Mrs is a dirty Leeds fan so I've seen a few more of their games than anyone else)

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    all Leeds games, normally a few/plenty goals

for AND against :(

Left by mutual consent!
    Lack of crowds may be a factor but I find football dreadful to watch these days. I got far more entertainment out of watching the Chiefs vs Browns playoff games last night even despite the stop/start nature of NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    Lack of crowds may be a factor but I find football dreadful to watch these days. I got far more entertainment out of watching the Chiefs vs Browns playoff games last night even despite the stop/start nature of NFL.
    I think that it's the combination of no crowds and many teams playing twice a week throughout.

Scotland took the decision to curtail last seasons' League campaign (to the annoyance of Hearts!) and started this season pretty well on time. Hibs have played 30 matches so far (24 Premiership, 6 SFL Cup) starting on 1 August.

England along with many of the major European Leagues (but not France) resumed the 2019-20 campaign and consequently started this season several weeks late. Manchester City started this season, a week later than most on Monday 21 September because they were still finishing last season on Saturday 15 August. Since the start they have played two matches every week since then apart from one postponment in late December. That is 28 matches so far this season (17 PL, 4 EFL Cup, 1 FA Cup, 6 Champions League). This will continue through to May 29 or at least until any elimination from the FA Cup or the Champions League.

Playing that many matches over such a short period will impact on quality, particularly with players missing or self-isolating through Covid.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Last night São Paulo derby Palmeiras destroyed Corinthians 4x0. VAR Sending off VAR goal confirmation. Great movement and great goal skill with a mix of dig. A bit one sided the goal keeper had and absolute ‘mare. At times didn’t even look like a keeper.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I've only watched two games all season - the semi and the final - despite everything, I thought they were quite good to watch.

I have no enthusiasm for this season - it doesn't work for me without fans at the games, and I'd love to be going to the St Johnstone game.

This is part of the reason why I think people are harsh on the players and manager - I'm sure they feel like they're giving 100%, but I'm sure they would give that little bit more if the fans were at the games. I'll judge them (hopefully) next season.

Hibs v Dundee United a few weeks ago. Thought we were brilliant to watch. Don't really watch other teams games. Holds no interest for me. Watched the SC final hoping Hearts wouldn't win. Thought it was good entertainment and watched Liverpool v Man United. Thought it was worse than anything I've seen from Hibs this season. Find it difficult to watch games not involving Hibs or Hearts. No emotional attachment.
    Last edited by Since452; 19-01-2021 at 06:52 AM.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    I find football not involving Hibs boring at the best of times and virtually unwatchable with no supporters there. That old Jock Stein quote has never been more true.

hibs 2 rangers 2 was a decent game.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Man utd Vs Villa a few weeks back was really good. Both teams really pushing for the win, with plenty attacking quality.

The 2007 league cup final for me 😂