hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celtic FC

Celtic FC

The Covid thread got me thinking about what a strange club they are. The most unoriginal club in world football surely? A club of sloppy seconds if you like.

Things that they boast about but weren't first at...

A club set up for the underprivileged Irish community in their city - Hibs
    Green and white hoops - Hibs
    YNWA - Liverpool
    The huddle - St Mirren
    The Poznan - Lech Poznan
    Beautiful Sunday - Dundee United

Anything else they've stolen from other clubs as "their own"? There must be another club that inserts random 'H's' into words somewhere. Weird .
    Last edited by Since452; 18-01-2021 at 04:25 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

The Covid thread got me thinking about what a strange club they are. The most unoriginal club in world football surely? A club of sloppy seconds if you like.

YNWA - Liverpool
    The huddle - St Mirren
    The Poznan - Lech Poznan

Anything else they've stolen from other clubs as "their own"? There must be another club that inserts random 'H's' into words somewhere. Weird .
    Anything else they've stolen? Hibs players since 1888.

Left by mutual consent!
    Not mention stealing everything and everyone decent that Hibs have had. From Jock Stein to Pat Stanton to Scott Brown to John Park.

Was delighted they couldn't get John McGinn after trying to bully Hibs into selling him for peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Not mention stealing everything and everyone decent that Hibs have had. From Jock Stein to Pat Stanton to Scott Brown to John Park.

Was delighted they couldn't get John McGinn after trying to bully Hibs into selling him for peanuts.
    I don't think you can say they "stole" Scott Brown from us. We got the best part of £5 million pound between original fee and add ons.

Very high opinion of themselves.

This season would be magnificent if it wasn't for the fact that it opens the door to good times for an infinitely more despicable club.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I don't think you can say they "stole" Scott Brown from us. We got the best part of £5 million pound between original fee and add ons.
    Yeah we actually got the going rate for a change. Looking at the number of trophies he's won you could say it was pretty cheap!

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar

[COLOR=#333333][INDENT]The Covid thread got me thinking about what a strange club they are. The most unoriginal club in world football surely? A club of sloppy seconds if you like.

YNWA - Liverpool
    The huddle - St Mirren
    The Poznan - Lech Poznan

Anything else they've stolen from other clubs as "their own"?
    Might be wrong, but I'm sure it was Tony Mowbray that introduced the huddle to Celtic, as read in one of his books?!?

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Might be wrong, but I'm sure it was Tony Mowbray that introduced the huddle to Celtic, as read in one of his books?!?
    He probably saw St Mirren players do it and thought it was a good idea

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    We made him, they didn't. Wish Hibs wouldn't do business with the Old Firm. I'd even go a stage further and say the SPFL should deem Celtic buying everyone else's best players as against competition like the NBA do with blocking trades.

Just a shame clubs voted for short term financial gain rather than the greater good of Scottish Football for all clubs, bigger more inclusive league (s). The Copa Del Rey in Spain sees the lower ranked clubs host La Liga and higher ranked sides in ties up till the quarter final stage. So much could be done to make Scottish Football better. Celtic really have ruined it with their greed and selfishness for everyone.
    Last edited by Allez Hibs; 18-01-2021 at 04:32 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Yes, it was Tony Mowbray when he was Celtic captain.

We made him, they didn't. Wish Hibs wouldn't do business with the Old Firm. I'd even go a stage further and say the SPFL should deem Celtic buying everyone else's best players as against competition like the NBA do with blocking trades.

Just a shame clubs voted for short term financial gain rather than the greater good of Scottish Football for all clubs, bigger more inclusive league. The Copa Del Rey in Spain sees the lower ranked clubs host La Liga and higher ranked sides in ties up till the quarter final stage. So much could be done to make Scottish Football better. Celtic really have ruined it with their greed and selfishness for everyone.
    I am all for slating both sides of the old firm at any and every opportunity... but where would we get the majority of our transfers from if we weren't allowed to take from other Scottish clubs?

I'll second that. Their penny pinching has probably cost them 10 in a row.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I am all for slating both sides of the old firm at any and every opportunity... but where would we get the majority of our transfers from if we weren't allowed to take from other Scottish clubs?
    I meant in examples such as when Celtic who are 30 points clear and Dundee Utd are having a good season and they sign Johnny Russell and GMS which severely weakens Dundee Utd. That's not the spirit of a competitive league, that's a monopoly.

I meant in examples such as when Celtic who are 30 points clear and Dundee Utd are having a good season and they sign Johnny Russell and GMS which severely weakens Dundee Utd. That's not the spirit of a competitive league, that's a monopoly.
    Ah, I get you Probably quite hard to govern, especially when a lot of signings are with a view to future seasons and other compeitions, but I get what you mean now.

Why was the match put back two days to convenience Celtic and against the wishes of their opponents? Why was the quite reasonable request from Hibs for tests on the players that were to play against them refused? Where is the disciplinary investigation into this bourach by the SFA when both St Mirren and Kilmarnock had points docked , the latter when players sat too close to each other at lunch ? But the most serious one is this . Why should taxpayers bear the cost of Celtic furloughing their under-18’s when the club spent upwards of quarter of a million seeking the sun ?
    They really are one horrible club .

Celtic were set up to make money from Irish people, not to help them. They are different from us in that regard. They saw our success and realised they had a bigger audience.

Left by mutual consent!
    Not wanting to shoot down the poster, but getting a little obsessive are we not?

Think a lot of clubs could claim to have bits and pieces nabbed from them by other clubs.

I'll leave you with a thought...

"We don't care what the animals say...."

?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

The "more than a club" nonsense lifted from Barcelona.

Dundee United should have shown a bit of backbone and refused to sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Dundee United should have shown a bit of backbone and refused to sell them.
    Said the same at the time. GMS went for buttons as his deal was up at the end of the season, they were close in the league, had celtic to play in both cups (including the league cup final) and it basically wrote off their season. They completely fell to bits in the league and got turfed out both cups.

Not sure if Russell played for Celtic, maybe Armstrong?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

YNWA - Liverpool
    The huddle - St Mirren
    The Poznan - Lech Poznan
    Beautiful Sunday - Dundee United

More than a club - Barcelona

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Celtic were set up to make money from Irish people, not to help them. They are different from us in that regard. They saw our success and realised they had a bigger audience.
    About as accurate a description of Celtic as I have ever read.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Someone stole their "I" though.

Or is the Celtc trademark name the only authentic unique thing about them?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

In a nutshell.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Said the same at the time. GMS went for buttons as his deal was up at the end of the season, they were close in the league, had celtic to play in both cups (including the league cup final) and it basically wrote off their season. They completely fell to bits in the league and got turfed out both cups.
    There were stories/rumours about Jackie Mac apparently receiving some sort of ‘bonus’ on players sales around this time, and that’s why he was disliked so badly by Arabs about the time of his departure. Not sure of the full details or how much truth in it.

I’m a Depeche Mode fan and saw them at the Niteclub at the Playhouse back in 1981 when they were just starting to breakthrough. I was blown away by Just Can’t Get Enough the first time I ever heard it that night along with about 200 others. They stole my song. Celtic *******s.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    There were stories/rumours about Jackie Mac apparently receiving some sort of ‘bonus’ on players sales around this time, and that’s why he was disliked so badly by Arabs about the time of his departure. Not sure of the full details or how much truth in it.
    He was on a % of sales IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    He was on a % of sales IIRC.
    That'll be it aye

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Yes, it was Tony Mowbray when he was Celtic captain.
    I actually frequented a boozer that was the HQ of the Isle of Man 🇮🇲 Rangers loyal and they always bit when selik did the huddle claiming & I quote “We the people started the huddle only for those tarrers (sp) to claim it is theirs “

GGTTH