hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Logie Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We used to do it under Lennon. The ball would get played back to McGinn who launched it with the seeming intention of the opponent having to take a throw-in near the corner flag.

It was obviously Lennon’s idea as it didn’t happen before. I don’t recall it ever happening when he’s been manager at Celtic though....
    Not sure if it was Lennon or Rodgers, but they done it at Ibrox a few years ago, Edouard straight into the corner.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Statistically you're much more likely to win possession from the final third than retain possession from a kick-off. It really is as simple as that.

Unless you're Barca or Man City etc of course!
    have you seen barcelona recently?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Unfortunately we don’t have a Zouma type to go forward straight from kick off skinning half a team.
    The only time I've ever seen Hibs drive at a team straight from kick off effectively was when Zemmama skinned half the Rangers midfield and Stokes scored. Thats was 10 years ago.

It doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Franck Le God View Post
    This might be one for the players/ex players but why do so many teams do this?

Pass back from the centre circle and then someone whacks it forward, where it inevitably goes out for a throw to the opposition.

Why not pass it around between themselves as they would with any other passage of play?
    My friend used to start off every game by shouting "take a shot Hibs" 😂
    Last edited by Is It On....; 18-01-2021 at 04:16 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    The only time I've ever seen Hibs drive at a team straight from kick off effectively was when Zemmama skinned half the Rangers midfield and Stokes scored. Thats was 10 years ago.

It doesn't work.
    I’m not convinced kicking you touch works either. Are there any examples of goals straight from the resulting line out?

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Cast you mind back to the Semi-final vs Aberdeen when one of our best ball carriers John McGinn tried to retain possession from the kick off. Seconds later we were 1-0 down.

That is probably the last time I recall Hibs trying to retain possession from the Kick off in the manner the OP has alluded to.
    That goal happened for 2 reasons

1) they'd studied our kick offs and knew it was coming - we didn't concede any other goals from that tactic.
    2) Two bad passes once we regained possession from memory Marv sold DMCG short, who then sold Efe short.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hate seeing games start this way.

Also, another pet hate, teams who can't seem to find a team mate during a throw in (Hibs being guilty of this over the years)

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Chris Maguire done something along those lines at Easter Road for Scotland u21s V Iceland.

Sure Iceland scored a few screamers that day as well. Sigurdsson was playing for them I’m sure. May have even been him that scored them.
    Sigurdsson scored both, both fantastic goals.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Chris Maguire done something along those lines at Easter Road for Scotland u21s V Iceland.

Sure Iceland scored a few screamers that day as well. Sigurdsson was playing for them I’m sure. May have even been him that scored them.
    I had my young, at the time, kids at that game and they asked why Hibs couldn't score goals like that and would Hibs get Sigurdsson to play for them .

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    I’d rather they punted into the corner from the kick off than fanny about with half a dozen passes in our own half before the inevitable “long diagonal” which usually goes out for a throw anyway.

I don't see much difference to what happened in the 90s when it felt like every kick off was a punt down the wing for Keith Wright to head back infield.

That usually conceded possession as well, even if he did get the ball.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I don't see much difference to what happened in the 90s when it felt like every kick off was a punt down the wing for Keith Wright to head back infield.

That usually conceded possession as well, even if he did get the ball.
    There was also a period under (I think) Williamson where two forwards would start next to each other right on the touchline, race down the line as soon as kick-off was taken, and the ball would be launched towards them. The usual outcome was conceding a throw in.