hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Punting the ball from kick off

This might be one for the players/ex players but why do so many teams do this?

Pass back from the centre circle and then someone whacks it forward, where it inevitably goes out for a throw to the opposition.

Why not pass it around between themselves as they would with any other passage of play?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Franck Le God View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Pass back from the centre circle and then someone whacks it forward, where it inevitably goes out for a throw to the opposition.

Why not pass it around between themselves as they would with any other passage of play?
    Due to having 11 players in front of you, it’s very hard to manipulate space from kick off, and invariably end up heaping pressure on yourself early as 10 players advance up towards you. Kicking to the wing puts you on the front foot and gets you up the park early. Remember in my younger days we used to punt it straight out at the corner flag and hem the team into their own corner.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Due to having 11 players in front of you, it’s very hard to manipulate space from kick off, and invariably end up heaping pressure on yourself early as 10 players advance up towards you. Kicking to the wing puts you on the front foot and gets you up the park early. Remember in my younger days we used to punt it straight out at the corner flag and hem the team into their own corner.
    Feels more like rugby tactics to me, still can't get my head round it. 11 players ahead of the keeper at a goal kick and yet more and more we see teams playing it out from there.

Not solely something I've seen in Hibs games, most teams seem to do it so there must be something to it but it's always been a pet peeve of mine.

@hibs.net private member

I have asked myself that very question umpteen times when we have aimlessly booted it into touch.

Rarely does anything good come from it, so you think building from the back would be a better way to go.

Punting the ball from kick off

Quote Originally Posted by ddoc View Post
    I have asked myself that very question umpteen times when we have aimlessly booted it into touch.

Rarely does anything good come from it, so you think building from the back would be a better way to go.
    Seem to remember there being a story about players betting on there being a throw in early in the match but can't see that being possible now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Statistically you're much more likely to win possession from the final third than retain possession from a kick-off. It really is as simple as that.

Unless you're Barca or Man City etc of course!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Seem to remember there being a story about players betting on there being a throw in early in the match but can't see that being possible now

This did happen years ago, but now the first couple of minutes of a match aren't included in this sort of betting.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Statistically you're much more likely to win possession from the final third than retain possession from a kick-off. It really is as simple as that.

Unless you're Barca or Man City etc of course!
    Surely the stats are skewed by so many teams punting it and immediately losing possession though

Surely the stats are skewed by so many teams punting it and immediately losing possession though

It’s all about not taking chances early though. Last thing you want to do when you’ve just started the game is make a mistake, poor pass, control etc and gift a lead away. Cast your mind back to our semi vs Aberdeen in ‘17, daft goal and immediately on the back foot. Stick it up the touchline and play from there, win the ball high and start the game on the front foot.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    It’s all about not taking chances early though. Last thing you want to do when you’ve just started the game is make a mistake, poor pass, control etc and gift a lead away. Cast your mind back to our semi vs Aberdeen in ‘17, daft goal and immediately on the back foot. Stick it up the touchline and play from there, win the ball high and start the game on the front foot.
    Makes sense I suppose. Also explains why better teams are likely to punt - more faith in their ability/more willing to take the chance

Won't stop it bugging me mind you!

Didn't Matt Le Tissier put this in his biography? He used to bet on a throw in within the first ten seconds or something.

First Team Breakthrough
    I have been wondering this for weeks also. I watched Man United kick off the second half last night against Liverpool and focused deliberately on what they did. They punted it long to the nearside but kept it in play and put Liverpool under pressure immediately.Surely we have players capable of getting in to that position knowing that will be the tactic . At least our throw ins have improved !

You have more chance of winning it back in a dangerous area.

I think from my experience it’s just about gaining momentum straight away.

A long pass straight away gives the defenders something to think about and you never know you may get the break of the ball and create a chance which gives the team a bit of encouragement and instantly the opposition might feel under the cosh.

Playing back and trying to keep possession gives the opposition the opportunity to press you high up the park and again gain momentum if they were to win it back deep into our half.

Its frustrating but I see why it’s done.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I hate it but understand it.

I presume someone has done the maths and worked out that you have a x% chance of winning the ball back from a throw in. If you manage that, you’ve most likely taken the winger and full back on the opposite side out the game and a couple of attacking players, where as you’d have all 11 players to get through should you have wanted to keep possession and build up the play. Also means you’re less likely to make an arse of it, as someone said, like us at Hampden against Aberdeen.

It’s a bit crap but it makes sense imo.

It’s a well established tactic throughout European football. Having to take a throw in near your own corner flag facing a high press is always a horrible position to be in. Rudi Garcia teams to do it every ko.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    You have more chance of winning it back in a dangerous area.
    The defending team should just launch it straight back up the pitch and put pressure back on. Then the attacking team are now defending and they can launch it back into the corner.

Every game could be like a shan game of rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    The defending team should just launch it straight back up the pitch and put pressure back on. Then the attacking team are now defending and they can launch it back into the corner.

Exactly.

You can't score without the ball, yet our tactic at the start of every game is get rid of the ball. It's minging.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Absolutely hate it when teams do this.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Sometimes if you don't kick it straight out you can do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNuRLfzeChA
    ​#PERSEVERED

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post

Fantastic !! If only eh .....

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Was there not someone in the SPL who scored direct from KO (ie. 2nd touch from the centre circle) maybe 4-5 years ago?

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post

But, as was mentioned by an earlier poster, the kick-off has the players in a formation not seen at any other time i.e. no forward players in advanced positions. If the defending team was to launch the ball back from the throw in then their opponents will probably get the ball in a position where they can start the next passage of play from a more 'normal' position, with a better variety of options.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Feels more like rugby tactics to me, still can't get my head round it. 11 players ahead of the keeper at a goal kick and yet more and more we see teams playing it out from there.
    That's different – there are 11 players ahead of the keeper and the ball, but your strikers are up next to the opposition's defenders, midfielders are next to midfielders, etc. Uniquely at kick off, there are 11 players ahead of the entire team.

I have the same instinctive dislike of this tactic, but thinking about the reasoning behind it and the fact that so many teams do it, I accept it's probably a sensible approach.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Was there not someone in the SPL who scored direct from KO (ie. 2nd touch from the centre circle) maybe 4-5 years ago?
    Chris Maguire done something along those lines at Easter Road for Scotland u21s V Iceland.

Sure Iceland scored a few screamers that day as well. Sigurdsson was playing for them I’m sure. May have even been him that scored them.

However sometimes if you don’t kick it straight out the opposite happens, for example the Scottish Cup Semi in 2017

Unfortunately we don’t have a Zouma type to go forward straight from kick off skinning half a team.

We used to do it under Lennon. The ball would get played back to McGinn who launched it with the seeming intention of the opponent having to take a throw-in near the corner flag.

It was obviously Lennon’s idea as it didn’t happen before. I don’t recall it ever happening when he’s been manager at Celtic though....

@hibs.net private member
    Cast you mind back to the Semi-final vs Aberdeen when one of our best ball carriers John McGinn tried to retain possession from the kick off. Seconds later we were 1-0 down.

That is probably the last time I recall Hibs trying to retain possession from the Kick off in the manner the OP has alluded to.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Betting on the time of the first throw in! 🤣