hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Been impressed with Macey but if fully fit you have to go with the tried and tested Rocky.I am a fan of Ross but its time for him to deliver a win in a big game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Been impressed with Macey but if fully fit you have to go with the tried and tested Rocky.I am a fan of Ross but its time for him to deliver a win in a big game.
    Are you suggesting we haven’t won any big games at all?

Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    This myth seems to be sticking with Ross. What constitutes a big game? Beating Celtic or Rangers? Are we expected to do that? Is Aberdeen and Hearts a big game? He's beaten them both. Semi finals? He's won them too. He's even managed to save teams from relegation and win promotion. Just seems like a stick to beat the manager with when it isn't really the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This myth seems to be sticking with Ross. What constitutes a big game? Beating Celtic or Rangers? Are we expected to do that? Is Aberdeen and Hearts a big game? He's beaten them both. Semi finals? He's won them too. He's even managed to save teams from relegation and win promotion. Just seems like a stick to beat the manager with when it isn't really the case.
    What’s the myth? Two wins in fourteen against the teams you mention. Remove the old firm if you want (although throwing away a two goal lead in one game and failing to beat the reserves in another was disappointing) and it’s two wins in six against the others with some horrific performances. One semi final and one loss.

Thankfully he has a chance to change it and he really has to start doing so tomorrow.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 22-01-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    What’s the myth? Two wins in fourteen against the teams you mention. Remove the old firm if you want (although throwing away a two goal lead in one game and failing to beat the reserves in another was disappointing) and it’s two wins in six against the others with some horrific performances. One semi final and one loss.

Thankfully he has a chance to change it and he really has to start doing so tomorrow.
    So he has won big games then?

So he has won big games then?
    Who said he hadn’t? No a very good success rate though, is it?

‘Failing to beat the reserves’ 😂 quality stuff. We probably had more influential players missing than they did and a squad worth millions less. Rangers and Celtic might be ‘big’ games for fans but it’s not for the football club, every game bar Hearts and Aberdeen (as our nearest rivals) are as big as each other.

Who said he hadn’t? No a very good success rate though, is it?
    The poster I replied to said he needs to deliver a win in a big game. He has.

Celtic reserves is another good one

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    ‘Failing to beat the reserves’ 😂 quality stuff. We probably had more influential players missing than they did and a squad worth millions less. Rangers and Celtic might be ‘big’ games for fans but it’s not for the football club, every game bar Hearts and Aberdeen (as our nearest rivals) are as big as each other.
    Of course the club see games against them as big games. They’re the games that they get to promote themselves to a national audience. They’re the games that draw the biggest crowds. They’re the games that players want to play in the most. There are plenty other reasons I’m sure

As for the last Celtic game it was pretty clear that the players expected to win when you heard the post match interviews. I actually quite liked the fact that they seemed to see it a missed opportunity rather than think they’d done really well to get a point..

The poster I replied to said he needs to deliver a win in a big game. He has.
    The poster said that he had to deliver a win in a big game. Not that he hasn’t done so before.

I agree with that poster. It’s a massive game for Ross tomorrow.

Of course the club see games against them as big games. They’re the games that they get to promote themselves to a national audience. They’re the games that draw the biggest crowds. They’re the games that players want to play in the most. There are plenty other reasons I’m sure

As for the last Celtic game it was pretty clear that the players expected to win when you heard the post match interviews. I actually quite liked the fact that they seemed to see it a missed opportunity rather than think they’d done really well to get a point..
    Yet it still gets you the same three points as every other game. Games against Hearts is bigger as it’s a derby, and games against Hearts and Aberdeen bigger as it has a bigger impact on our final position. Celtic and Rangers games certainly aren’t any bigger in our season than County and Motherwell.

Of course it was a missed opportunity the way the game panned out, however it wasn’t Celtic reserves. They’d have been disappointed in the home game as well but that doesn’t mean we played against their reserves! At least 7 starters with another 2 who have been starting for them. That’s not their reserves and like I said, we were missing far more influential players than Celtic were.

Yet it still gets you the same three points as every other game. Games against Hearts is bigger as it’s a derby, and games against Hearts and Aberdeen bigger as it has a bigger impact on our final position. Celtic and Rangers games certainly aren’t any bigger in our season than County and Motherwell.

Of course it was a missed opportunity the way the game panned out, however it wasn’t Celtic reserves. They’d have been disappointed in the home game as well but that doesn’t mean we played against their reserves! At least 7 starters with another 2 who have been starting for them. That’s not their reserves and like I said, we were missing far more influential players than Celtic were.
    The game against Aberdeen in a couple weeks is massive if we want 3rd spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    The game against Aberdeen in a couple weeks is massive if we want 3rd spot.
    I agree, a real big game and one that will have a far bigger impact on our season than Rangers at home next midweek.

I agree, a real big game and one that will have a far bigger impact on our season than Rangers at home next midweek.
    If the Aberdeen games have a far bigger impact on our season, how come we’re above them in the league having lost to them twice?
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 22-01-2021 at 03:28 PM.

If the Aberdeen games have a far bigger impact on our season, how come we’re above them in the league having lost to them twice?
    I think the obvious answer to your question is hibs have played two more games than Aberdeen

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post
    I think the obvious answer to your question is hibs have played two more games than Aberdeen

I would have thought that it’s because we have more points to be fair.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Are we above them though?

Yes we have more points than them but they have games in hand

Oops, I see someone beat me to the punch.
    Last edited by scoopyboy; 22-01-2021 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add on comment

I would have thought that it’s because we have more points to be fair.
    That as well and its only a point

Had we won those two games, or even just one of them, then we’d have been well clear of them. They are our closest rivals therefore points gained against them are of far more importance than the rest. However we’ve been consistent against majority of the rest of the league, we haven’t beat any the top 3 teams yet are still well in contention, hence why the rest of the games are just as important as those against the top teams.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Are we above them though?

Yes we have more points than them but they have games in hand

Oops, I see someone beat me to the punch.
    We’ve got more points that them so aye. They’ve got two tough away games (Celtic and Livi) in hand as well.

I’m not actually intending to play down the importance of our game against them, it obviously would be a big help if we can beat them.

Had we won those two games, or even just one of them, then we’d have been well clear of them. They are our closest rivals therefore points gained against them are of far more importance than the rest. However we’ve been consistent against majority of the rest of the league, we haven’t beat any the top 3 teams yet are still well in contention, hence why the rest of the games are just as important as those against the top teams.
    Obviously we’d be further in front if we’d beaten them. Equally, we’d be well behind if we hadn’t taken 9 points from Killie, for example.

You’ve said that points gained against Aberdeen are of far more importance but then go on to say the rest of the games are just as important as those against the top three so I’m a bit confused as to what it is now.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 22-01-2021 at 04:00 PM.

Lets just stand up grow a pair and win this semi then the bloody Cup even if its means winning ugly.Its very very achievable so lets seal the deal.

We’ve got more points that them so aye. They’ve got two tough away games (Celtic and Livi) in hand as well.

I’m not actually intending to play down the importance of our game against them, it obviously would be a big help if we can beat them.
    Were not going to agree on this are we

If the League was called tonight they would finish above us.

Would you settle for a draw on our debate lol

This is going to be a very difficult game.

Going to have to show real mental toughness and need. Whoever plays in goals can’t have a poor game.

No excuses tomorrow, just get us to the final!

I

Obviously we’d be further in front if we’d beaten them. Equally, we’d be well behind if we hadn’t taken 9 points from Killie, for example.

You’ve said that points gained against Aberdeen are of far more importance but then go on to say the rest of the games are just as important as those against the top three so I’m a bit confused as to what it is now.
    Every game is important, every game is a big game. But the games against Aberdeen are 6 pointers in where we finish. If we had beaten them it’s a 6 point swing from what it is just now. Kilmarnock aren’t out nearest challenger.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Were not going to agree on this are we

If the League was called tonight they would finish above us.

Would you settle for a draw on our debate lol
    If the league gets called tonight then we can revisit it and I’ll take the draw.

Actually, I’ve just realised Aberdeen play Motherwell tomorrow so we may actually be behind them, in terms of points on the board, before we kick off at Hampden. I can handle that as long as we get the win tomorrow.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    As shocking as those two performances were, looking back on them they weren’t as bad as we thought at the time. Livingston have won 8/10 and Ross County have just pumped our main rivals for 3rd place.

United we stand here....

If the league gets called tonight then we can revisit it and I’ll take the draw.

Actually, I’ve just realised Aberdeen play Motherwell tomorrow so we may actually be behind them, in terms of points on the board, before we kick off at Hampden. I can handle that as long as we get the win tomorrow.
    Me too

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    The poster said that he had to deliver a win in a big game. Not that he hasn’t done so before.

I agree with that poster. It’s a massive game for Ross tomorrow.
    Massive game for everyone the club, the coaching staff and most importantly the players and fans. No way is it on one person.
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 22-01-2021 at 05:31 PM.