hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Team for the Semi

Hopefully, if Newell is back fit, it could be a tough decision for Ross to make re team lineup for next weekend.

Do you start the same team as yesterday, but swap Newell in for Irvine (if JN is fit)? Do you start Doidge? If so, who drops out? 352 or 442? Will the likes of Allan and Magennis be in the squad for the game?

Don't envy Ross, but have faith in whoever he picks. What would your team be for the Semi final?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Back 4 picks itself. Rocky if fully fit, if not Macey. Nisbet up front, Boyle and Murphy, Newell starts if fit, Irvine starts for me, so then either Gogic or Hallberg for the third spot.

Going to be tough considering we have Rangers midweek too and not many options in midfield right now.

I'd be resting players midweek if possible to keep fresh for Saturday, Irvine likely to be needed and it's too much to ask him to jump in and start 3 games in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Going to be tough considering we have Rangers midweek too and not many options in midfield right now.

I'd be resting players midweek if possible to keep fresh for Saturday, Irvine likely to be needed and it's too much to ask him to jump in and start 3 games in a week
    The Rangers game is after the semi final.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post

The rangers game is after the semi, and we have plenty midfield options, Gogic, Mallan, Hallberg, Newell, Irvine, Cadden, Wright have all either played in there already, or can play in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    Hopefully, if Newell is back fit, it could be a tough decision for Ross to make re team lineup for next weekend.

Do you start the same team as yesterday, but swap Newell in for Irvine (if JN is fit)? Do you start Doidge? If so, who drops out? 352 or 442? Will the likes of Allan and Magennis be in the squad for the game?

Don't envy Ross, but have faith in whoever he picks. What would your team be for the Semi final?
    3-5-2
    Marciano

McGinn
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Boyle
    Irvine
    Gogic
    Newell
    Murphy

Doidge
    Nisbet

First Team Breakthrough jingler1954's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    3-5-2
    Marciano

McGinn
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Boyle
    Irvine
    Gogic
    Newell
    Murphy

Doidge
    Nisbet
    That is a very strong line up on paper.

3-5-2
    Marciano

McGinn
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Boyle
    Irvine
    Gogic
    Newell
    Murphy

Doidge
    Nisbet
    I cant see Murphy at LWB. if we olay 352 Doig will play at WB

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I think Hallberg has earned his place in the team tbh.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I’m really not sure what he will do, Newell will come back into the starting 11 but I’m not sure who will miss out.

Hallberg and Gogic put in a power of work against Kilmarnock and we’re both good defensively, putting themselves about and winning the midfield battle. Irvine is clearly lacking match fitness however there’s only one way to improve that, he’s been brought in to play but is it too much of a risk to play him in the semi?

It was our first win in 4 on Saturday, do you change a winning team?

I always think we look more of a threat with 2 up top and Doidge playing, I also think it would cause a lot of problems for St Johnstone’s back line.

Hampden is a big pitch and you imagine will be in good condition which will suit the ball being played on the ground.

Presuming the injuries are still the same as the Kilmarnock team i think we will see

.......................Macey..............

McGinn.....Porteous.....Hanlon......Doig....

...............Gogic...........Newell.......

Boyle................Irvine.................Murphy ......

.......................Nisbet.........

It would be very harsh on Hallberg imo but I think he’ll be hoping to get Irvine up to speed and you could see with some of the things he done on Saturday he’s a goal threat;

Header where he attacked it with aggression and just missed connection
    Through ball to Nisbet in first half
    Run beyond Nisbet and unlucky that the pass was over hit.

Not sure he will fancy playing 352 at Hampden and leaving potentially a lot of room for St Johnstone to hit us on the counter once Doig etc are bombing on.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I’m really not sure what he will do, Newell will come back into the starting 11 but I’m not sure who will miss out.

Hallberg and Gogic put in a power of work against Kilmarnock and we’re both good defensively, putting themselves about and winning the midfield battle. Irvine is clearly lacking match fitness however there’s only one way to improve that, he’s been brought in to play but is it too much of a risk to play him in the semi?

I always think we look more of a threat with 2 up top and Doidge playing, I also think it would cause a lot of problems for St Johnstone’s back line.

Hampden is a big pitch and you imagine will be in good condition which will suit the ball being played on the ground.

Presuming the injuries are still the same as the Kilmarnock team i think we will see

It would be very harsh on Hallberg imo but I think he’ll be hoping to get Irvine up to speed and you could see with some of the things he done on Saturday he’s a goal threat;

Not sure he will fancy playing 352 at Hampden and leaving potentially a lot of room for St Johnstone to hit us on the counter once Doig etc are bombing on.
    Same size as Easter Road apparently.

Gogic's performance last two games probably means he is first midfielder on the team sheet.
    If fit then Newell for Halberg would be the only change I'd envisage to the starting XI. Giving Irvine the benefit of the doubt and his room for improvement compared to Halberg.
    Halberg or Mallan on with 15/20 to go depending on whether we need to protect a lead or come from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Gogic's performance last two games probably means he is first midfielder on the team sheet.
    If fit then Newell for Halberg would be the only change I'd envisage to the starting XI. Giving Irvine the benefit of the doubt and his room for improvement compared to Halberg.
    Halberg or Mallan on with 15/20 to go depending on whether we need to protect a lead or come from behind.
    Suddenly spoilt for choice in midfield

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

I like the look of that team. Feel sorry for Hallberg, as I think the consistent game time has done him well, and he's starting to put in some good performances. However, Newell is much stronger in the centre than he is, and keeping Irvine in provides us with a goal threat from midfield.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Same size as Easter Road apparently.
    Correct.... will be in better condition than ER of late though.

What excites me for this Semi is that we are free to pick the team we wanna play instead of having to outthink the opposition.... playing St Johnstone allows us to take the game to them 100%. I n past semi finals of late we have had opposing teams who have greater threats than our squad at the time and we have had to set up differently to combat that factor.

It should be great game.... both teams will be going for it for sure.
    Last edited by BlackSheep; 18-01-2021 at 08:02 AM.

Is Newell fit ? Assumed he would be missing for a few weeks ?

Wouldn’t start changing much around.

I think Saints play 3-5-2. They also haven’t beaten us since November 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    The Rangers game is after the semi final.
    My bad, nothing to worry about then!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Is Newell fit ? Assumed he would be missing for a few weeks ?

Wouldn’t start changing much around.

I think Saints play 3-5-2. They also haven’t beaten us since November 2018.

He he said on Saturday he would likely start training midweek and be available

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Back 4 picks itself. Rocky if fully fit, if not Macey. Nisbet up front, Boyle and Murphy, Newell starts if fit, Irvine starts for me, so then either Gogic or Hallberg for the third spot.
    Back four picks itself? Lewy or Doig?

Will Doig be fit?
    Last edited by Allez Hibs; 18-01-2021 at 08:39 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    3-5-2
    Marciano

McGinn
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Boyle
    Irvine
    Gogic
    Newell
    Murphy

Doidge
    Nisbet
    Looks good to me. Doidge has to play now. He needs goals for his confidence and he needs time on the park to do it. His contribution off the bench recently should not be underestimated. He worried the keeper at Celtic Park and Nisbet scored as a result and on Saturday held the ball back to goal and laid off to Gogic to score. I feel we wil get more goals if he is on the park for longer.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Marciano/Macey
    McGinn Porteous Hanlon
    Doig Magennis Newell Irvine Boyle
    Nisbet Doidge

Halberg & Gogic in if Newell & Magennis don’t make it.

@hibs.net private member
    Macey

McGinn
    Hanlon
    Porto
    Doig

Goga
    Irvine
    Newell

Boyle
    Nisbet
    Murph

@hibs.net private member
    ——————Macey

——McGinn Porteous Hanlon

— -Boyle Newell Gogic Doig

——————Murphy

————Doidge Nisbet

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Newell for Irvine would be the only change for me. If Newell isn’t fit then probably Mallan should play. This is a huge game for us and we can’t afford to have a half fit player in the middle of the pitch. Maggenis might come into consideration if fit, but I’m not sure I’d be starting him either.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Seems like both MacGennis and Rocky returned to first team training today. Great news.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/spor...-ross-19643186
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 18-01-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Can anyone remember how St Johnstone setup at ER did they play with 1 or 2 upfront. They have lost McNamara so big plus for us though think they have Kerr back who missed out at ER

Quote Originally Posted by badabing67 View Post
    Can anyone remember how St Johnstone setup at ER did they play with 1 or 2 upfront. They have lost McNamara so big plus for us though think they have Kerr back who missed out at ER
    They have been playing 3412.

He he said on Saturday he would likely start training midweek and be available
    Personally a wee bit cynical that he can make it hope he does though as he has been very good this season and gives us a lot of quality in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by badabing67 View Post
    Don't think Kerr has played their last couple of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    They have been playing 3412.
    Thankx