hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flair Players

Flair Players

I think we really lack players who can create something out of nothing wee bit magic, Zemamma, Latapy type players. I know they are probably not easy to find good ones at our level but we have a dare I say solid, well organised side but imo lack flair. I’d love to see a player start or even come of the bench that gets the fans of their seat and create a wee bit excitement with a wee bag of tricks. Games poorer without these types of players imo.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we really lack players who can create something out of nothing wee bit magic, Zemamma, Latapy type players. I know they are probably not easy to find good ones at our level but we have a dare I say solid, well organised side but imo lack flair. I’d love to see a player start or even come of the bench that gets the fans of their seat and create a wee bit excitement with a wee bag of tricks. Games poorer without these types of players imo.
    Difficult to find these players becuase most teams would love a player like that. I know we were supposedly trying to get the boy who went to MK Dons. Hope Allan when fit again will be that guy.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Would you not call Newell a flair player?

Know what you mean though, a player who gets you off your seat!
    Not many around in football these days, the game is a bit sterile

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Would you not call Newell a flair player?

Know what you mean though, a player who gets you off your seat!
    Not many around in football these days, the game is a bit sterile
    I’d probably say it’s going the way of down south, more athleticism based.

Boyle can get you off your seat at times tbf

Agreed, think this is a missing ingredient or someone else with real pace that scares the opposition when they get the ball

Barker, Zemmama, Latapy etc

I really rate Murphy but he sometimes struggles due to lack of pace and is often forced infield where he’s crowded out. Hopefully Doig free’s up space for him as teams realise what a threat he is.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Barker???
    Ronnie, he surely can’t mean Brandon

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Somebody that likes to play the ball on the carpet.

Football lacks that type of player, generally, these days IMO. Loads of over coached, robotic players.

The only one we have who is different is Scott Allan. But when he is back, hopefully soon, the focus will end up being on him for not tracking a runner or something.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Scott Allan is more than capable of a wee bit of magic to unlock defenses. Need to get him back fit

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Football lacks that type of player, generally, these days IMO. Loads of over coached, robotic players.

The only one we have who is different is Scott Allan. But when he is back, hopefully soon, the focus will end up being on him for not tracking a runner or something.

It’s frustrating as hell seeing how overcoached some players seem now, especially at our level.

Part of the reason I reckon JC was so good for us - he hadn’t had the idea that he was capable of scoring from everywhere and anywhere coached out of him due to playing boys club football at the point most others are going full time.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: N/A
    Jamie Murphy is a flair player. There's much more to come from him if, and it's a big if, he can string 6 or 7 games in a row without getting injured

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenMan View Post
    Jamie Murphy is a flair player. There's much more to come from him if, and it's a big if, he can string 6 or 7 games in a row without getting injured
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    Definitely means Ronnie

Think we have Murphy, Boyle, Allan and Newell who have a bit of flair about them

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

Aye flairs are out of fashion. Used to be massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Think we have Murphy, Boyle, Allan and Newell who have a bit of flair about them
    I think Mallan should be in that category as well. Arguable how good he is.

Personally feel like we have more flair in the squad than most in the league and what we have been lacking is a bit of dynamism in midfield to complement what we have, to get about the pitch and to allow our flair players to flourish in the areas you want them. I think back to guys like McGeouch, Allan, Barker etc, all full of ability in different ways but utterly irrepressible when complemented by the dynamism and quality of someone like SJM. Hopefully Irvine and Cadden help in that respect and can bring out the flair in Newell, Murphy, Boyle et al.

On a general level though, I feel like flair players (or number 10s) of the ilk of Latapy, Zemmama etc just aren't around much in the modern game. And if they are, they would tend to be beyond our price range. I love that we have Allan, but even then his ability or style often seems to be ill-fitted to what the manager wants the team to do. He needs a maverick, fly by the seat of your pants type manager like Lennon, but again that is probably a dying breed, for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Can't wait to have them all fully fit and playing in the same team

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    Personally feel like we have more flair in the squad than most in the league and what we have been lacking is a bit of dynamism in midfield to complement what we have, to get about the pitch and to allow our flair players to flourish in the areas you want them. I think back to guys like McGeouch, Allan, Barker etc, all full of ability in different ways but utterly irrepressible when complemented by the dynamism and quality of someone like SJM. Hopefully Irvine and Cadden help in that respect and can bring out the flair in Newell, Murphy, Boyle et al.

On a general level though, I feel like flair players (or number 10s) of the ilk of Latapy, Zemmama etc just aren't around much in the modern game. And if they are, they would tend to be beyond our price range. I love that we have Allan, but even then his ability or style often seems to be ill-fitted to what the manager wants the team to do. He needs a maverick, fly by the seat of your pants type manager like Lennon, but again that is probably a dying breed, for better or worse.

The role that Irvine played on Saturday is perfect for Scott.

You could then have any two of Newell / Gogic / Irvine / Magennis / Hallberg as a midfield pair behind him.

When Barker was at us I loved his pace and trickery, 90% of the time it didn't come to much but I thought he was pretty exciting to watch. He's never replicated that at Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    The role that Irvine played on Saturday is perfect for Scott.

You could then have any two of Newell / Gogic / Irvine / Magennis / Hallberg as a midfield pair behind him.
    Gogic as the 6, Irvine as the 8 and Scotty as the 10.

That would be a cracking 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Gogic as the 6, Irvine as the 8 and Scotty as the 10.

That would be a cracking 3.
    If doidge is 9 what number is Nisbet

No idea why anyone is classing Newell as a flair player. He’s a good player and I hope he stays but he’s not the ‘flair’ type

Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    If doidge is 9 what number is Nisbet
    This is how it feels

Testimonial Due
    I feel when we have to many flair players in and around the team we tend to lose games by other teams using brute force to overrun us!!!!
    We need one really good central midfielder who can spray passes around finding running players.
    The problem is they don't come cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    I feel when we have to many flair players in and around the team we tend to lose games by other teams using brute force to overrun us!!!!
    We need one really good central midfielder who can spray passes around finding running players.
    The problem is they don't come cheap!
    I agree. Jackson Irvine fits that position but keeping him here after this season may prove difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I was meaning in the traditional 1 - 11

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    When Barker was at us I loved his pace and trickery, 90% of the time it didn't come to much but I thought he was pretty exciting to watch. He's never replicated that at Rangers.
    Barker has more flair than Boyle. Boyle is more the 'fast as f***' and nippy type than a flair player, in my opinion.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    He means Sue. Our midfield is crying out for a mature blonde ex tennis player to mix things up a bit.