hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (Kilmarnock 16 01 21)

It’s been an interesting few days following Hibs’ deserved point at Parkhead on Monday night. Some pundits felt we were lucky, and some thought Celtic were playing with a substantially weakened team. Those pundits were wrong on both counts. Hibs were actually unlucky not to win the game, in my view plus Celtic fielded eight starters from their last game out and so talk of substantially weakened was nonsense.

I hoped the point won at Parkhead might instil some confidence into the team and I think it did, along with a solid if unspectacular win against a stuffy Kilmarnock side. The pitch was awful and both sides suffered but so too did we, as spectators. It was pretty dire for long spells with the ball spending far too much time in the air.

Since the Celtic game, Hibs brought two new signings to the club in the shape of Jackson Irvine and Chris Cadden. These are guys of proven ability in the Scottish game and they’ll help the club with the depth they add to the squad. I thought both would be on the bench today, but Jackson started and Cadden got a run out later in the game.

With Joe Newell missing due to injury, Hibs set up with what looked like a 4-2-3-1 with Hallberg and Gogic holding and Jackson pushed on to support Nisbet up front. It almost worked early in the game when Irvine’s lay off saw McGinn doggedly fighting his way into the box before having a pop at goal. Rogers saved but it’s as well he held on to the ball as Nisbet was waiting to pounce.

After what might be considered a bright start the game soon developed into a midfield war of attrition with Willie Collum’s whistle on overtime. Surprisingly, Collum allowed many of these challenges to go unpunished which is unusual for a man that has more cards than Hallmark.

When the occasional ball was threaded through, first Whitehall for Killie and then Nisbet for Hibs were caught offside. Around the twenty minute mark, Whitehall again and Irvine were caught offside when passes through were delayed just a fraction too long. With half time approaching, Killie came out of their shell a bit and strikes by both Kiltie and Tshibola were easily charged down. It has to be said that anything into the Hibs box was being dealt with well by Hanlon and Porteous in particular whilst McGinn and Doig both looked solid. In fact, it was McGinn who next had an effort on goal for Hibs but although he found space from a Hallberg corner he steered his header high over the bar.

Hibs came out unchanged for the second half and pushed Killie back, winning a corner. Hallberg’s delivery was met by the head of Gogic who angled his effort down and towards the far post, but Danny Rogers denied him with a fine save. Around the fifty minute mark Hibs took the lead. Jamie Murphy took possession of the ball just inside his own half before striding towards the Killie box. It looked as though he’d been closed down, but clever play allowed him to feed the overlapping Doig. When Josh delivered a first time low cross into the area, Killie’s Alan Power in trying to block the ball succeeded instead in steering the ball under the body of Rogers and into the net. It was scrappy but the build up was impressive, even if luck played a part at the end.

Killie tried to hit back straight away but a Whitehall header from good position drifted past the post. Alex Dyer made a double change to try and get them back into the game with Burke and Kabamba joining the fray. With twenty minutes left, Kabamba beat the offside trap and fired low shot across the keeper only for the ball to strike the far post and fly back into the grateful arms of Matt Macey. When I looked at the replay, I saw that Hanlon and Porteous had correctly stepped out, but Paul McGinn was too slow and played the Killie man onside. It was a let off for sure.

With fifteen minutes left, Jack Ross replaced the tiring Jackson Irvine with Christian Doidge with the big fella pushed up front to support Nisbet. A magnificent run down the left by Doig saw the youngster angle his run into the box but his progress was blocked off by two defenders cutting in front of him. It looked a penalty to me, but not to Willie Collum who waved play on.

Another fabulous cross from Doig saw Boyle rising well at the far post but his excellent header was well saved by Rogers at his near post. Ten minutes from time a crude foul by Power on Boyle earned the Killie man a yellow card. The resultant free kick picked out Gogic at the far post and the Hibs man headed the ball back into the mix. Porteous flicked it on and the ball reached Doidge who controlled it on his chest before cushioning it to Gogic some twenty yards out. Gogic hammered it first time and the ball ripped into the net with Rogers well beaten. Soon after, Boyle was replaced by debutant Chris Cadden who slotted in on the right hand side.

It was all about game management now and let’s be honest we’ve not been the best at that and have conceded a few late goals that cost us points we already had wrapped up. Killie were throwing everything at us now with central defender Dikamona becoming an auxiliary forward, but it was all to no avail and indeed Hibs might have had a third when substitute Stevie Mallan got free on the right. Mallan hit his shot well enough but Rogers was equal to it.

Not the greatest of games and not the best performance but having said that, a number of Hibs players had a good and solid ninety minutes. I think the fact that Macey faced only one direct shot and that we kept a clean sheet it’s safe to say we are going in the right direction again.

The players

Macey – An easy afternoon for the big fella who dominated his box. There were a couple of dodgy handling errors but thankfully they were not punished.

McGinn – His part in the Tshibola effort aside, I though Paul was really good today, both attacking and defending.

Porteous – For me this was Ryan’s best game in a while. Other than a couple of wayward passes his use of the ball was good and he dominated Whitehall and then Kabamba throughout.

Hanlon – Didn’t really put a foot wrong and never looked troubled.

Doig – A fantastic performance from Josh. His stamina is unbelievable, and his defensive positioning is getting better each time he plays.

Boyle – This was not one of his better days and I felt he struggled more than most with the state of the pitch.

Hallberg – Melker has his doubters and I’ve been critical of him myself in the past, but I thought he was spot on today.

Gogic – I confess I was less than impressed with his first half input but looking back I can acknowledge that his hard work helped ensure Killie couldn’t get easy possession when attacking. His second half he was like a different player, still doing the work of the first but adding to it in an attacking sense. His goal was a stunner and overall, he just pips a couple of others to my man of the match award.

Irvine – It was always going to be a big ask, expecting him to slot in seamlessly and have several attempts at goal. Overall, I thought he showed some lovely touches and I’m certain the seventy five minutes he got will stand him in good stead.

Murphy – Jamie just oozes quality, and it was very noticeable that Killie tried to double up on him every time he had the ball. Kiltie was playing more like a second full back than an attacking midfielder.

Nisbet - I remain to be convinced that Kevin likes the sole striker role. His movement is good and his workrate unquestionable, but I felt he was isolated too often to cause the Killie defence any real concerns.

Doidge – The big fella certainly gave the Killie defenders something to worry about and I have to say his control and layoff for the second goal was first class.

Cadden – Didn’t really see enough of him to form a concrete opinion but given his pedigree I’m sure we’ve signed a good ‘un.

Gullan – Not on long enough to get involved.

Mallan – Same as Jamie Gullan but I have to say his shot near the end might have been better deployed as a pass to Gullan in the middle.

Jack Ross – A good day at the office result wise and he seemed happy with what he’s seeing. I’m not sure I am, in terms of how we set up and play but a win’s a win and he’s the boss!

Referee – Willie Collum will need a new whistle because he blew that one today, to death.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

Doig incident wasn't a penalty imo.

And Collum is a grade A arse.

Braw and agree with nearly all, although first half I thought Hanlon hit too many long(ish) diagonals which went astray but he was resorting to that cos of the lack of a playmaker in midfield. Hallberg got on the ball often and looked comfortable enough but really did nothing positive when in possession. No incision.
    RE Doig penalty claim, the replay from behind the goal clearly showed the Kilie defender changing direction to obstruct Doig. Indirect free kick maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Yeah agreed that was never a penalty.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant Jonnyboy as usual

Never a pen

Said it before Doig is a bright young thing

GGTTH

First Team Breakthrough
    Fair assessment as usual.Thought Hanlon was solid in defence,but every game he tries to play a long diagonal ball across to the right trying to find McGinn or Boyle.Because of the pace and height of the pass they usually find it difficult to control and it is easy for defenders to deal with.Could see the point if there was lack of options but today he had Doig and Murphy down the left he could use as an out ball.Also with the defender clearing Hanlon can be left stranded at the halfway line.Maybe needs to give this tactic more thought.

@hibs.net private member
    Thank you for that report, I miss the (silly named) Pink news but you catch it perfectly and your report is top notch, thank you for taking the time

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Good summary again JB.

While it wasn't a great performance, I thought we had several excellent performances which meant we had more cutting edge than Killie and that got us over the line. Doig and Gogic were very good and I thought Hallberg put in a real shift as well.

Testimonial Due
    Thanks Jonnyboy

Thanks for the summary, I was unable to watch match at work, but, from what I follow Boyle has had another meh meh game, maybe due to being marked heavily.
    It might be time to drop him, almost every game he doesn't show up, I think he has only had one good game in about 6 recently if Hibsnet is anything to go by, I may be blowin oot ma er5e, but that´s what I get from all the comments on here and watching the last few games??

I can only imagne the crap Ross would have got for playing the new signings had we lost, especially Jackson who hasn't played for most of the season?

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Great report as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Thanks for the summary, I was unable to watch match at work, but, from what I follow Boyle has had another meh meh game, maybe due to being marked heavily.
    It might be time to drop him, almost every game he doesn't show up, I think he has only had one good game in about 6 recently if Hibsnet is anything to go by, I may be blowin oot ma er5e, but that´s what I get from all the comments on here and watching the last few games??

I can only imagne the crap Ross would have got for playing the new signings had we lost, especially Jackson who hasn't played for most of the season?
    He was marked out the game. But that also creates space for other players. It also neutralised the Kille attack as their wide players did so much defending.

Couple of points for me;

Playing pretty football is good but grinding out a result in poor conditions and an awful pitch is really good and pleasing, especially considering our recent home form.

Underrated players - Doidge and Gogic have received a lot of stick lately about how they’re not x, y and z. They showed how valuable they are and what they can offer especially in games like that. There is more than one way to win a game of football and they’re showing they’re very effective at helping us do that.

Doig - Came on leaps and bounds since the start of the season. Defensively he’s a lot tighter to his man, doesn’t let them turn, presses them quicker and more aggressively. Going forward he is a lot more composed with his final ball and the quality has came on leaps and bounds. His driving runs forward are superb and it pins back the opposition so well as seen against Tavernier and Frimpong who barely got a touch. Hopefully the more he’s known as a threat the more room it creates for Murphy as he struggles at time with his lack of pace.

Boyle - Needs to up his performances and take more responsibly to get involved and grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

McGinn - Such an admirer of him and can’t believe how good he is defensively and on the ball, my expectations were low but he has far exceeded them. If he wasn’t Scottish, in his late 20s with his background there would be much more buzz about him. Unfortunate he never came over as an unknown Spaniard or similar as people would be waxing lyrical about him.

A lot more to come from this team.
    Last edited by Unseen work; 17-01-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    Thanks John, excellent & balanced as ever. Firstly I think Jack Ross deserves a lot of credit for setting the team up to adapt to the awful conditions. It wasn't pretty & it required the players to step up, work hard & win 2nd balls but they did just that, led admirably by Gogic. Just a few random thoughts.
    1. Martin Boyle - I see some criticism of him on here again & suggestions he should be dropped. The people most happy to see him dropped would be our opposition, its not coincidence he's double marked every week & just his presence creates space for others! As you said, our pitch currently negates some of his attributes but I guarantee he'll be 1st name on teamsheet for nest week at Hampden.
    2. Hallberg - I've been critical of him but I thought he played well yesterday. He didn't hide, my main criticism, & he looks much more comfortable when he receives the ball with the pitch in front of him.
    3. Our defence. Killie had 9 corners & several free kicks in attacking situations yesterday. They also had about 5 big lumps attacking these set plays but we coped superbly well yesterday. Paul McGinn has rightly earned plaudits for his general play but his ability in the air (his assist against Celtc) has been an unexpected bonus. I can't remember the last time we had a right back who was decent in the air! A special mention also for Nisbet's defensive work, that lad gives his all every game.

Good read as ever, thought Doig had a poor first half, but improved considerably second half - Boyle is one of our best options up front yet the team gives him little to no service, same applies to Nisbet - we are too slow and ponderous in moving forward - three points and a clean sheet and 3rd place made a good day - pitch was truly awful, what's going on there then?

Just watched the pitch side highlights which are brilliant as usual.
    Turns out it should have been a penalty after all.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It certainly looks more like one than the other camera angles we've seen. Like Celtic’s free kick the other night it's not at all straightforward for the referee, although unfortunately it's two decisions that have gone against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    It certainly looks more like one than the other camera angles we've seen. Like Celtic’s free kick the other night it's not at all straightforward for the referee, although unfortunately it's two decisions that have gone against us.
    You can see why the ref wouldn't be sure. One for VAR I suppose.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I agree. The other thing which struck me was that the surface didn't look at all bad when viewing from the lower angle.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post

Agree with your first comment.

As for Collum, he refereed the game well yesterday I thought.

@hibs.net private member
    Where are the pitchside highlights? Any chance of a link?

From the standard angles it looked like a decent shout for a pen but was far from clearcut and, as such I'm not surprised it wasn't given.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post

From the standard angles it looked like a decent shout for a pen but was far from clearcut and, as such I'm not surprised it wasn't given.
    If it had been The Rangers it would have been a pen & all the pundits would be agreeing it was a stick on!!

Definitely looked like clear obstruction for the penalty - subtle but definitely deliberate obstruction and not playing the ball.

Also didn’t realise Porto booted the keeper after a Gogic goal then goes over to say sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Thank you for that report, I miss the (silly named) Pink news but you catch it perfectly and your report is top notch, thank you for taking the time
    The Pink News and the Green Dispatch on sale in every newsagent in the city an hour after full time when I was a kid.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The Pink News and the Green Dispatch on sale in every newsagent in the city an hour after full time when I was a kid.
    Used to love reading the HIBS Reserves team

Newman Newman and Trialist Junior AN Other and Trialist Newman Junior Smith Trialist and Tortolano

Subs Reserve A Reserve B
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 17-01-2021 at 07:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Good read as ever, thought Doig had a poor first half, but improved considerably second half - Boyle is one of our best options up front yet the team gives him little to no service, same applies to Nisbet - we are too slow and ponderous in moving forward - three points and a clean sheet and 3rd place made a good day - pitch was truly awful, what's going on there then?
    There is an element that Boyle is often marked out of a game, but this leaves room for other players more space though.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Used to love reading the HIBS Reserves team

Newman Newman and Trialist Junior AN Other and Trialist Newman Junior Smith Trialist and Tortolano
    Imagine inventing a stupid name like Tortolano.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post

They are on twitter. Just go to Hibs feed.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Did they not relaunch an online pink recently or was imagining this ?