hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry wasn’t a serious post
    Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle strikes again.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Given the current financial predicament, I think we are doing just fine, all things considered.

The press even had a go at us for having the nerve to spend money.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Club had ambitions to finish best of the rest.. As others have said, you wonder if the team has performed to its true capabilities tho. We are boring to watch and sh?t the bed in our biggest game of the season.

But we beat Killie 2 0 at home so all is good just now. Imagine how happy we’d be if we’d taken care of Ross County and Livi.
    I suspect the biggest game of our season is yet to come.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    At the risk of being labelled an arse licker again, I’m interested to know if the signings of Cadden, Irvine, Nisbet and Magennis, as well as the re-signing of Boyle, are sufficient evidence of the club showing ambition or not?

Tonight we sit in third place with another cup semi final to look ahead to

At what point do we acknowledge that things are actually going pretty well?
    A week’s a long time in footballl.

Any update on the ambition tonight?

Said on a couple threads time for Ron to step up, does he want to keep seeing his team that he owns getting to semis then loosing under Ross.

Yes the league looks good on paper but let's be real overall it's really bad.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    Said on a couple threads time for Ron to step up, does he want to keep seeing his team that he owns getting to semis then loosing under Ross.

Jack Ross is a very lucky man that there are no crowds currently allowed in to games. He’s getting a free run at this management lark.

Time for the owner to show some ambition by getting in a top quality manager.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Are we going to do this game by game? Very clever.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post

For 20 odd years we’ve got to semis and lost, and when we’ve got by the semi, we get pumped in the final, it’s not a new thing under Jack Ross unfortunately.

I’d say Ron has stood up, and backed the manager with a playing budget larger than we’ve had for years (in the midst of a pandemic.)

The buck stops at the manager’s and players mentality.

Ron must be absolutely fuming right now!

Is that not kind of what you did last week, after our first win in five, when you asked when folk would accept we were doing all right?

Left by mutual consent!
    I asked a genuine question? Last week your opinion was that the club has lots of ambition. What’s your thoughts now on your post?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Is that not kind of what you did last week, after our first win in five, when you asked when folk would accept we were doing all right?
    Not really, that was after however many games in the season when we were already in the semi final. I can’t remember if it was before or after we’d brought in three new (good) signings as well.

Losing the semi final doesn’t mean we didn’t have ambitions or try to get to the final.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I asked a genuine question? Last week your opinion was that the club has lots of ambition. What’s your thoughts now on your post?
    It hasn’t changed. We didn’t lose tonight because we weren’t ambitious.

We didn’t make 3 signings in this window because we didn’t want to push on.

Left by mutual consent!
    It hasn’t changed. We didn’t lose tonight because we weren’t ambitious.

We didn’t make 3 signings in this window because we didn’t want to push on.
    So where is it going wrong? The club showing ambition in signing 3 good players. Is the manager or players not up to it?

Not really, that was after however many games in the season when we were already in the semi final. I can’t remember if it was before or after we’d brought in three new (good) signings as well.

Losing the semi final doesn’t mean we didn’t have ambitions or try to get to the final.
    I think there is enough to suggest the owner/board have shown a bit of ambition. Manager has been backed, in the circumstances, more than any previously IMO.

However, you asked when we’d all accept it’s going well. After tonight, I don’t think it is. We’ve blown some huge opportunities this year.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

So where is it going wrong? The club showing ambition in signing 3 good players. Is the manager or players not up to it?
    I think the manager and the players take the blame for tonight.

I don’t think it’s anything to do with ambition at a wider level at the club.

The manager and the players are on record as saying they wanted to win the cup. The ambition was there, but that was about all there was tonight.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I think there is enough to suggest the owner/board have shown a bit of ambition. Manager has been backed, in the circumstances, more than any previously IMO.

However, you asked when we’d all accept it’s going well. After tonight, I don’t think it is. We’ve blown some huge opportunities this year.
    I think when we start a season the club want to win trophies and qualify for Europe through league placing. The minimum target is cup semi finals. We have been to the last two semi finals and fallen short but we’ve been there to do it.

@hibs.net private member
    I think you’re getting mixed up with a club having ambition and a team not playing well.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    I think when we start a season the club want to win trophies and qualify for Europe through league placing. The minimum target is cup semi finals. We have been to the last two semi finals and fallen short but we’ve been there to do it.
    We may as well throw the towel in if these last two semi finals are any ****ing barometer of success, Jesus Christ.

A minimum requirement should never be semi finals. You get **** all for a semi final as we’ve experienced.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    What do you want Matty to say? We showed ambition in the transfer market, we missed chances in a big game and ended getting turned over chasing goals.

A poor result doesn’t change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    We may as well throw the towel in if these last two semi finals are any ****ing barometer of success, Jesus Christ.

A minimum requirement should never be semi finals. You get **** all for a semi final as we’ve experienced.
    What Hibs team have you been watching these last (I presume that you are a 93 born like me) 27/8 years? We have, consistently, marked semi finals as a marker of a reasonable season in all my time watching Hibs.

Whilst I agree, we can’t exactly say the minimum requirement year after year is winning trophies as we’d have a new manager every 6 months. It all depends on situations. Europe is a given every year, that should never change. Cups are all dependant on draws, our expectations for this cup should’ve been huge, if we draw the old firm less so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    What Hibs team have you been watching these last (I presume that you are a 93 born like me) 27/8 years? We have, consistently, marked semi finals as a marker of a reasonable season in all my time watching Hibs.
    That’s potentially why we fall at that hurdle more often than not. Why not set our sights higher? The fact having a semi final as a marker of a reasonable season speak volumes.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

As a club we’ll have targets. At the start of every season we’ll have ambitions to win the league and to win both cups.

The reality is that it’s extremely difficult to do those things, so you have a minimum target - say, for arguments’ sake that those minimums are 4th place and the semi finals of the cups.

It’s not successful in the same way that winning the cup is but if you’re setting objectives you have to be able to agree that they’ve been achieved.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Go girl you’re on a roll tonight!
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

As a club we’ll have targets. At the start of every season we’ll have ambitions to win the league and to win both cups.

The reality is that it’s extremely difficult to do those things, so you have a minimum target - say, for arguments’ sake that those minimums are 4th place and the semi finals of the cups.

It’s not successful in the same way that winning the cup is but if you’re setting objectives you have to be able to agree that they’ve been achieved.
    But surely these targets will change depending on how the season progresses? With the teams left in the league cup semis this season we absolutely cannot count falling at the semi final as any kind of success or minimum target. We should’ve won that cup as a minimum target.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

But surely these targets will change depending on how the season progresses? With the teams left in the league cup semis this season we absolutely cannot count falling at the semi final as any kind of success or minimum target. We should’ve won that cup as a minimum target.
    The manager and the players all said they had targeted winning the cup. They fell short.

That’s potentially why we fall at that hurdle more often than not. Why not set our sights higher? The fact having a semi final as a marker of a reasonable season speak volumes.
    What, me as a fan saying a semi final is not a terrible outcome is why we have a ***** record at a hampden?

The fans expectations mean **** all, it’s like when people say they won’t accept a result. It’s a consideration for the board perhaps, but what bearing does it actually have on the season?

You’re no counting reaching the semi finals as success? Couple of defeats after winning some rounds against lower league teams to get to a semi.

Ross and Porteous were very open that their target was to win a trophy (not reach a semi final). Talked the talk, didn’t walk the walk.

We have blown two incredible opportunities.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Matty I agree with you but that expectation changes when you are, by league table, the best side left in the draw.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk