hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ambition

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the risk of being labelled an arse licker again, I’m interested to know if the signings of Cadden, Irvine, Nisbet and Magennis, as well as the re-signing of Boyle, are sufficient evidence of the club showing ambition or not?

Tonight we sit in third place with another cup semi final to look ahead to

At what point do we acknowledge that things are actually going pretty well?
    When we see cups the Green and White ribbons on them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Claros was decent
    Agreed

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    It does get brought up we have a bad performance or result though, where the insinuation is that those results are acceptable or where the club are happy to be.

The thread’s not asking about comments in performance, i think even the most blinkered of us would acknowledge we’ve not been hitting the levels of performance we’d want to see. I think those criticisms are mostly fair (some are way over the top and some don’t stand up to scrutiny, but in the main I agree with a lot of the gripes about how we’ve played at times).
    The club are certainly showing ambition with signings made. I don’t think its a widespread opinion at all though that when a bad result comes along people say the club isn’t showing ambition. Certainly not since Ron took over and our signings in the summer.

The biggest issue I can see after defeats are about performance levels/style of play. I know you are saying the threads not asking about this but the last question in your OP I think goes hand in hand with performances/style on the park. Since we don’t have a realistic chance of winning the league the performance holds a lot more weight and when bad results come in this is the first thing that people will jump on.

Personally I hope the style and performance will come through the continuous improvement of our squad with signings we are making but can understand posters thinking based on the evidence so far that this may not come under Ross and it will be functional football majority of the time.

At the risk of being labelled an arse licker again, I’m interested to know if the signings of Cadden, Irvine, Nisbet and Magennis, as well as the re-signing of Boyle, are sufficient evidence of the club showing ambition or not?

I think we can acknowledge things are going well at the end of the season if we’ve finished in a European place. Or in six week time if we’ve won the league cup.

Got a real chance to achieve something this season. At worst we should achieve one of the above. Really good chance to make it a really successful season though.

What I would say is Ross has definitely been backed.

I think Ron Gordon is starting to show an ambition at Hibs we haven’t seen in 30 years. Who knows how it will turn out but the last two windows have def shown ambition. The club also appear to have stepped up their game commercially, the benefit of which won’t be seen till we are back in the stadium. Signing players this window in the position we are in make absolutely no sense unless the owner is looking at the bigger picture. There is no doubt in my mind Petrie would have battened down the hatches in the summer (and would have been praised for his good sense by many) and we would not have signed the player we have. Gordon is obviously a different character and appear to be using other teams weakness as an opportunity. I much prefer the Gordon way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now, 4th would be a decent finish, we're still pushing 3rd even after a dip. I think the club as a whole is going in the right direction and we've added without offloading (so far) in difficult circumstances.

I think that shows ambition to push on and a lot more than I expected.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    James left, I’m hoping Wigan are picking up at least part of what I believe is a decent wage.

I think we are using our funds towards the team, something I didn’t always feel we did in previous years. My point was I don’t think RG is putting any more in, but what he is doing is sanctioning the spending of the money we do have available.
    We'll see once the accounts are published, but I'm fairly certain that Ron will be ponying up a fair whack to get us through the season.

We do seem to have made what looked like really good signings, but for one reason or another most of them haven't made a huge difference so far with the exceptions of Nesbit, Gogic and to a lesser extent Murphy.

Kyle Magennis had St Mirren fans raging at losing their best player, but his Hibs career has barely started due to injury.

Stephen McGinn has barely featured, though I'm not sure if that's due to injury or of JR just sees him as a filler.

Drey Wright was lauded by Tommy Wright as one of his best signings for St Johnstone, but he has failed to live up to such a compliment for us.

Jamie Murphy is clearly a talent, but he is going to have to show that he isn't injury prone having already missed a few games for that reason.

Now we have two more new signings in Irvine and Cadden, but both of them are way short of game time and will take a while to get up and running, though Irvine did fine today to be fair.

That list certainly shows ambition to me, the trick will be to get them all fit and up to speed .... Once we do that we will have a chance of putting a really good team on the park capable of playing some decent and successful football, once they actually have a pitch more suited to their talents of course.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 16-01-2021 at 07:09 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Yes we are not playing great football just now but we are getting the right players in it will take time for them to gel we have signed a good few players when there is not a lot of money coming in , and no sponsor as we are rightly praising the NHS, very happy with hibs

I think Hibs are definitely showing ambition with their recruitment.

Paul McGinn has been one of our best signings.

First Team Breakthrough

When the manager is on a par with his signings.

Blog Entries

No arse licking there for me, Matty. That’s a reasonable account of where we are at. If folk want to pick holes in our present situation, rock on. Most of us are surely sleeping well at nights.😴

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam978 View Post
    In other words, the meal is pretty good, despite the chef being crap.

First Team Regular Corstorphine Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam978 View Post
    What's your beef with the manager ?

I often read many posts on here regarding the ambition of RG & Hibs in general but so far I’ve seen nothing but a club trying to push on, he spoke great things about his plans at the last AGM, only to have to alter & adjust as we all have with COVID. He’s taken time to assess the club, whilst probably adjusting finances to suit, with some tough decisions taken regarding staff etc along the way.
    The bit that puzzles me most is not the clubs ambitions but more so the fans. We are currently enjoying our biggest crowds for 50 years & have the amazing support of our season ticket holders but we still don’t sell our stadium out week in week out? (Pre-COVID)
    We often take 30,000 to Hampden & as we proved on that wonderful weekend in May, can get in access of 100,000 turn up to parade, so why can’t we get those extra bums on seats?
    There’s lots of talk of Hearts & Aberdeen having more finance than us but if we have real ambition to see our club challenging for the top three & in regular cup finals then we surely need to back RG & the management?
    Supporting Hibs is by definition never easy but we have a fabulous infrastructure in place now & cracking stadium, all which is I believe pretty much paid for so maybe we will now see the investment on the pitch that we yearn for but we need to do our bit.
    GGTHH

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCHAEDYSHORTS View Post
    I often read many posts on here regarding the ambition of RG & Hibs in general but so far I’ve seen nothing but a club trying to push on, he spoke great things about his plans at the last AGM, only to have to alter & adjust as we all have with COVID. He’s taken time to assess the club, whilst probably adjusting finances to suit, with some tough decisions taken regarding staff etc along the way.
    The bit that puzzles me most is not the clubs ambitions but more so the fans. We are currently enjoying our biggest crowds for 50 years & have the amazing support of our season ticket holders but we still don’t sell our stadium out week in week out? (Pre-COVID)
    We often take 30,000 to Hampden & as we proved on that wonderful weekend in May, can get in access of 100,000 turn up to parade, so why can’t we get those extra bums on seats?
    There’s lots of talk of Hearts & Aberdeen having more finance than us but if we have real ambition to see our club challenging for the top three & in regular cup finals then we surely need to back RG & the management?
    Supporting Hibs is by definition never easy but we have a fabulous infrastructure in place now & cracking stadium, all which is I believe pretty much paid for so maybe we will now see the investment on the pitch that we yearn for but we need to do our bit.
    GGTHH

I think the anti Farmer brigade (folk like Simon Pia with an axe to grind) persuaded a minority that the old regime couldn’t be trusted. Some of that lingering resentment might remain.

Broadly speaking we are in a good place. If supporters don’t want to get behind the club now, when will they? I appreciate that money may be tight for money but it’s not just about financial backing - supporting Hibs on social media rather than hurling abuse would help, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I think the anti Farmer brigade (folk like Simon Pia with an axe to grind) persuaded a minority that the old regime couldn’t be trusted. Some of that lingering resentment might remain.

Broadly speaking we are in a good place. If supporters don’t want to get behind the club now, when will they? I appreciate that money may be tight for money but it’s not just about financial backing - supporting Hibs on social media rather than hurling abuse would help, for example.
    I agree with this to an extent - but moaning about your club is part of your dna as a football fan. I think we often make the mistake of seeking logic in a behavior that is inherently illogical- and the better for it.

Ron Gordon has never publicly spoken about his personal wealth and it doesn't appear to be noted anywhere online.

I suspect he is perhaps more wealthy than we initially first thought. Nothing more than a hunch but given the circumstances we are operating in and the signings we have made I think he's pretty well off.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee1875 View Post
    Why?
    It's called humour 🤷*♀️

Ambition is football isn’t always easy to see or realise. I think Hibs have balanced caution and ambition in the last 5 years and grown. This season we could easily have not sigend many players, settled for stability and keep some cash, but we took a different approach and with some typical Hibs stumbling along the way we have a cracking 2nd half of the season to look forward to. Ross is slowly turning over the squad and building the team he wants while getting the most (in general, not in all cases) from what he has, which has us sutting third. If we keep Ross for anothe year or two we’ll see some swagger to match the more functional stuff we’ve played at times.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Who isn’t acknowledging that things are going well?

Most Hibs fans seem to be happy and the media have been full of praise for us all season.

I don’t see the negativity that is being hinted at.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Who isn’t acknowledging that things are going well?

Most Hibs fans seem to be happy and the media have been full of praise for us all season.

I don’t see the negativity that is being hinted at.
    We had a thread on here about wanting Ron Gordon to show some ambition if HSL wanted us to ship into our pockets for their campaign, posts about Jack Ross getting punted etc.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Well said. Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I think Ron Gordon is starting to show an ambition at Hibs we haven’t seen in 30 years. Who knows how it will turn out but the last two windows have def shown ambition. The club also appear to have stepped up their game commercially, the benefit of which won’t be seen till we are back in the stadium. Signing players this window in the position we are in make absolutely no sense unless the owner is looking at the bigger picture. There is no doubt in my mind Petrie would have battened down the hatches in the summer (and would have been praised for his good sense by many) and we would not have signed the player we have. Gordon is obviously a different character and appear to be using other teams weakness as an opportunity. I much prefer the Gordon way.

Petrie and Ron Gordon are not the same thing. Farmer was the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Petrie and Ron Gordon are not the same thing. Farmer was the owner.
    Isn’t Ron the chairman as well?

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Isn’t Ron the chairman as well?
    Still not the same thing. Petrie was never the owner, he was never going to invest, he literally didn't have the money to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Still not the same thing. Petrie was never the owner, he was never going to invest, he literally didn't have the money to do that.
    While true of new money coming in, I’d hazard a guess that even money we do have will be spent differently. Ron is more likely to stop other projects or use reserves that we have built up, whereas Petrie would be more likely to save them just in case this sort of situation carried on longer. Neither are wrong approaches.

I’ve always thought we are being pretty harsh on the club this year , surely this year is all just about survival, get to end of season in best possible position then hopefully next season we can’t hit some normality

Any fair minded Hibernian supporter will accept we are being as ambitious as possible during unprecedented difficulties. You only have to look at our SPFL rivals activity to compare ambition levels. We are going about our business quite nicely in my opinion 😀