hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ambition

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You’re no counting reaching the semi finals as success? Couple of defeats after winning some rounds against lower league teams to get to a semi.

Ross and Porteous were very open that their target was to win a trophy (not reach a semi final). Talked the talk, didn’t walk the walk.

We have blown two incredible opportunities.
    We have blown the best 2 opportunities we’re ever likely to face.

If not now then when, as the song goes.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    You’re no counting reaching the semi finals as success? Couple of defeats after winning some rounds against lower league teams to get to a semi.

Ross and Porteous were very open that their target was to win a trophy (not reach a semi final). Talked the talk, didn’t walk the walk.

We have blown two incredible opportunities.
    No, I’m not.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    What do you want Matty to say? We showed ambition in the transfer market, we missed chances in a big game and ended getting turned over chasing goals.

A poor result doesn’t change that.
    we did not get turned over chasing goals. We never laid a glove on them 2nd half. We capitulated tonight.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    we did not get turned over chasing goals. We never laid a glove on them 2nd half. We capitulated tonight.
    That’s nothing to do with ambition though.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    You weren’t just asking about ambition though.

“At what point do we acknowledge that things are actually going pretty well?”

I think this is the bit that folk are disagreeing with. Or more not answering favourably to.

I've just posted on another thread but it probably fits better on here.

Ross has been backed more than any manager in our recent history. We have paid out decent transfer fees and are clearly paying good wages to attract some of the players we have. We also got Boyle tied down to a long term deal (which everyone wanted at the time before someone brings up his recent form).

There's not been a chronic lack of ambition from the club. They have given the manager their backing to build a squad and it's a sqaud with a reasonable degree of depth to it as well when you look at the players not even stripped for us tonight.

I'm angry about tonight as will various people at the club be. I'm not sure it can be argued that tonight is proof of a lack of ambition though. The tools were there to have a team capable not only of reaching the semi final but also going on to win the trophy. The failure to do so comes down to a performance level that wasn't good enough. What happens to that performance level between now and the end of the season will determine whether it is Jack Ross or another manager being financially backed at the beginning of next season. It will also determine whether we can reasonably argue things are going well or not.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    But surely these targets will change depending on how the season progresses? With the teams left in the league cup semis this season we absolutely cannot count falling at the semi final as any kind of success or minimum target. We should’ve won that cup as a minimum target.
    Do your objectives at work flip flop around like that? You agree a goal at the start of the year then your manager says “nah it’s easier now that Kaths not here - do more”

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    The board have shown ambition by backing the manager financially in difficult times. Once again we seem to have spent loads of money on good players but, not for the first time, the current incumbent of the hot seat has not assembled a reliable side that won't get turned over at the worst possible moment by a team of workhorses.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It’s maybe an indication tho that things are not going as well as you alluded to in your opening post.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Do your objectives at work flip flop around like that? You agree a goal at the start of the year then your manager says “nah it’s easier now that Kaths not here - do more”
    I think quite often objectives and more rarely formal targets do evolve depending on the environment you are working in.

I was given a sales target at work at the end of February last year to carry me through to the end of this financial year. It's theoretically still in place but I'm almost certain failure to meet it won't be used against me at my annual appraisal given 95% of my customers have been shut all year.

I think it will be acknowledged Ross met his main target of reaching a semi final (if that was indeed a target). Equally though given the make up of the semi finals I think there will also be some consideration given to the fact we didn't perform as well as hoped from the position we found ourselves in.

I don't think it's that uncommon to revise and reevaluate your aims as a business depending on the position you find yourself in at any given time.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

What worries me is that fans have got out of the habit of going to games and after paying for a season ticket with no actual games it may be difficult to resurrect the enthusiasm. Watching Hibs give away two semi finals in the manner we did won’t help to rekindle the enthusiasm to renew season tickets or walk ups as Jack Ross seams to have the team playing a type of football devolved from passion. I honestly don’t think he has it to inspire greatness, sadly. Don’t know where we go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    What worries me is that fans have got out of the habit of going to games and after paying for a season ticket with no actual games it may be difficult to resurrect the enthusiasm. Watching Hibs give away two semi finals in the manner we did won’t help to rekindle the enthusiasm to renew season tickets or walk ups as Jack Ross seams to have the team playing a type of football devolved from passion. I honestly don’t think he has it to inspire greatness, sadly. Don’t know where we go from here?
    I think that's worthy of consideration.

People forget that our ST sales over the last few seasons are actually pretty abnormal and are largely of the back of the SC win followed up by winning the Championship and the momentum built of the back of that. The last time we saw comparable numbers came after the 2 good season under Mowbray and the LC win, that dwindled away very quickly when momentum was lost.

ST sales held up this year at least in part because of a perceived financial crisis on the horizon. Will they hold up as well next year if we continue in a comparable vein of form to the end of the season? We usually release our ST campaign in early March (I'm sure it was delayed last year) so a LC final would have been pretty good timing to cash in on a feel good factor. It's another potential opportunity lost.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough Green-Hibee-7's Avatar
    For what it is worth, I actually agree with what the poster said about our ambition being to be making semi-finals and in the top 4 places in the league. That’s fine. If you give me that every year with the odd cup final then grand. As someone in their late twenties I’d see that as more than acceptable.

However ambitions change with the circumstances. We should not be just happy at being in the semi-final and falling short. With the greatest of respect it is Livingston, St Johnstone & St Mirren. We have better players, facilities and resources. The ambition at that stage is to put down a marker as favourites and lift the trophy. Hugely hugely disappointing. Tonight’s performance and to a lesser extent the semi against Hearts are unforgivable.

I really can’t see how people can try and defend tonight.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Hibee-7 View Post
    For what it is worth, I actually agree with what the poster said about our ambition being to be making semi-finals and in the top 4 places in the league. That’s fine. If you give me that every year with the odd cup final then grand. As someone in their late twenties I’d see that as more than acceptable.

However ambitions change with the circumstances. We should not be just happy at being in the semi-final and falling short. With the greatest of respect it is Livingston, St Johnstone & St Mirren. We have better players, facilities and resources. The ambition at that stage is to put down a marker as favourites and lift the trophy. Hugely hugely disappointing. Tonight’s performance and to a lesser extent the semi against Hearts are unforgivable.

I really can’t see how people can try and defend tonight.
    I haven’t seen anyone defending tonight.