hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambition

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Ambition

At the risk of being labelled an arse licker again, I’m interested to know if the signings of Cadden, Irvine, Nisbet and Magennis, as well as the re-signing of Boyle, are sufficient evidence of the club showing ambition or not?

Tonight we sit in third place with another cup semi final to look ahead to

At what point do we acknowledge that things are actually going pretty well?

2. Log in to remove the advert

That will be a tough ask of some on here Matty 😀

Can't be disputed that the club is showing ambition. To be honest, we have for years. It's just a buzz word people like to through about after a bad result.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the risk of being labelled an arse licker again, I’m interested to know if the signings of Cadden, Irvine, Nisbet and Magennis, as well as the re-signing of Boyle, are sufficient evidence of the club showing ambition or not?

It's about time the club get a pat on the back. We have a good manager and good playes. Some of the players are real quality. We're only going to progress off the park under Gordon too.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Never. Ron the con and Jack Dross must go immediately.

Ambition and actualisation are very much separate things that often get conflated when things aren't going well. I think you're right that we've been showing ambition for a good while, it just hasn't been a perfectly upward trajectory.

Sitting 3rd and 5 points off Celtic, in a semi final, having signed Cadden and Irvine - it's a position we'd have taken before the season started. That's for damn sure.

@hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Never. Ron the con and Jack Dross must go immediately.
    Why?

It might have been Blackpool on the match thread who made the point though - for having a lot of good players we aren’t half hard to watch at times.

Nobody can criticise the standard of player being signed. Results are very much on the correct side of acceptable.

I’d say I just about enjoyed the game today. I liked that we were a bit more streetwise than in recent weeks, I thought we stood up well in a battle and it was interesting from a tactical perspective.

We did get lucky on occasion though, and I’m not going to argue with anyone who says they’re not absolutely loving the football we play right now.

Cracking 3 points though, putting us in a good place going into a semi-final. It gets so, so much worse than this.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I think there is no doubt that there is ambition shown by the club over the recent transfer windows. Great to see and obviously what Ron wants for the club is improvement. But aye, you are an arse licker 😃

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    It makes me wonder what we'd be doing if there was normal money coming in. Ron's certainly put his money where his mouth is and I can't wait to see what he does when we eventually get back to normality.

Don't forget we've done all of this during a global pandemic, with the club's income greatly impacted (as have every other club in the country) but that definitely needs to be factored. The club is certainly going in the right direction.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee1875 View Post
    Why?
    Isn’t it obvious? We’re third and in the league cup semi final 😂

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I think there is no doubt that there is ambition shown by the club over the recent transfer windows. Great to see and obviously what Ron wants for the club is improvement. But aye, you are an arse licker 😃
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee1875 View Post
    Why?
    Sorry wasn’t a serious post

I don't anyone could argue we have lacked ambition with the signings we have made and expect to be taken seriously.

Discussions around the performance levels in some games are valid, both as individual entities and as part of a bigger picture (that's neither a positive or negative comment, just an observation). However beating the club with the 'lack of ambition' stick is just a nonsense at the moment.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I would say the club have shown ambition since we got relegated and Dempster took charge.

Just because not every signing works out doesn’t show a lack of ambition, all managers since then have been backed and backed well might I add. Plenty have came with a good reputation, for a few or been a big name.

Since we got relegated we’ve signed guys like;

Ofir Maricano
    Adam Bogdan
    Efe Ambrose
    Ryan Gauld
    Stephane Omeonga
    Scott Allan
    Fraser Fyvie
    Dylan McGeough
    John McGinn
    Joe Newell
    Christian Doidge
    Tom James
    Jackson Irvine
    Greg Docherty
    Kevin Nisbet
    Stephen Mallan
    Darryl Horgan
    Kyle Magennis
    Chris Cadden
    Mark Milligan
    Miquel Nelom
    Mark McNulty
    Jamie Murphy
    Josh Vela
    Flo Kamberi
    Jamie Maclaren
    Brandon Barker
    Emerson Hyndman
    Vykintas Slivka

All of those guys came with a fee, good reputation or decent pedigree - the board can’t tell how each one will perform.

The board is not the issue.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    It makes me wonder what we'd be doing if there was normal money coming in. Ron's certainly put his money where his mouth is and I can't wait to see what he does when we eventually get back to normality.
    Has he though ? Absolutely we are backing Ross, but we cut the squad dramatically in the summer as well as bringing fees in. He gave the distinct impression at the AGM that he has put in all he was going to.

That’s not to say I’m unhappy with how things are going although it can be a hard watch at times.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Ambition and actualisation are very much separate things that often get conflated when things aren't going well. I think you're right that we've been showing ambition for a good while, it just hasn't been a perfectly upward trajectory.

Sitting 3rd and 5 points off Celtic, in a semi final, having signed Cadden and Irvine - it's a position we'd have taken before the season started. That's for damn sure.
    Nailed it.

3rd not good enough. We should be 2nd. 😂

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I don't anyone could argue we have lacked ambition with the signings we have made and expect to be taken seriously.

Discussions around the performance levels in some games are valid, both as individual entities and as part of a bigger picture (that's neither a positive or negative comment, just an observation). However beating the club with the 'lack of ambition' stick is just a nonsense at the moment.
    It does get brought up we have a bad performance or result though, where the insinuation is that those results are acceptable or where the club are happy to be.

The thread’s not asking about comments in performance, i think even the most blinkered of us would acknowledge we’ve not been hitting the levels of performance we’d want to see. I think those criticisms are mostly fair (some are way over the top and some don’t stand up to scrutiny, but in the main I agree with a lot of the gripes about how we’ve played at times).
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Has he though ? Absolutely we are backing Ross, but we cut the squad dramatically in the summer as well as bringing fees in. He gave the distinct impression at the AGM that he has put in all he was going to.

That’s not to say I’m unhappy with how things are going although it can be a hard watch at times.
    The 3 guys we just brought in won't be the cheapest and so far nobody has left.

During the summer we trimmed the squad but also paid transfer fees (the fee paid for Nisbet probably equates to another player for a season or two).

Left by mutual consent!
    Club had ambitions to finish best of the rest.. As others have said, you wonder if the team has performed to its true capabilities tho. We are boring to watch and sh?t the bed in our biggest game of the season.

But we beat Killie 2 0 at home so all is good just now. Imagine how happy we’d be if we’d taken care of Ross County and Livi.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Since Dempster arrived I don’t think we’ve lacked ambition. We’ve fully backed all managers, made marquee signings and paid fees. Post Stubbs and up until the last couple of windows I’d question how effective we’ve been in making the most of that ambition. Like others I also think there’s a separate debate to be had about our current style and are we getting the most out of the attacking talent we have.

Yes, the club is showing ambition.

In reference to point 2, when we begin to deliver consistent league positions (top 3 or 4) qualifying us for EUROPA as per our clubs stated objectives...

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The 3 guys we just brought in won't be the cheapest and so far nobody has left.

During the summer we trimmed the squad but also paid transfer fees (the fee paid for Nisbet probably equates to another player for a season or two).
    James left, I’m hoping Wigan are picking up at least part of what I believe is a decent wage.

I think we are using our funds towards the team, something I didn’t always feel we did in previous years. My point was I don’t think RG is putting any more in, but what he is doing is sanctioning the spending of the money we do have available.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Can't complain about our signings this season.

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    We are where we are now which is good but Ross himself hit the nail on the head in his interview last night. We’re a window or so away from being as consistent as he would like.
    Definitely showing ambition and growing the quality in the squad.

Remember the January window when we unveiled Soares, Claros, Kujabi and O'Donovan? Makes me want to vomit. Seems like a lifetime ago now thankfully.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Remember the January window when we unveiled Soares, Claros, Kujabi and O'Donovan? Makes me want to vomit. Seems like a lifetime ago now thankfully.
    That window wasn’t the problem. It was the fact they were all largely better than who we already had.

Left by mutual consent!
    Claros was decent