hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Josh Doig

Josh Doig

I was quite open and critical of him at the start of the season and wondered if he should be in the first team or if another loan spell would benefit him, I thought he had plenty energy but lacked composure and quality on the ball and was getting beat quite often defensively.

Im thrilled at how well and fast he seems to be improving. When you think how he’s defended of late and the quality of players like Frimpong, Tavernier etc they’ve barely had a touch or been noticed. He’s pressing play so well now and driving the team forward and putting them on the back foot.

On the ball his composure and quality has came on leaps and bounds with a couple of brilliant bits of play and crosses .

Hopefully he continues to progress at the rate he is doing, brilliant Josh.

Also, I don’t want to hear anymore or “he will replace Paul Hanlon at centre back” chat. The way he’s playing it would be madness to convert him from a flying fullback/wing back.

That driving run he done in the second half which to me looked like it should have been a pen was outstanding, we shouldn’t be putting the shackles on someone that can drive forward like that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Yeah, I totally agree.

I didn’t want to criticise him at the start of the season because he’s only young and was just getting started but I just wasn’t convinced he had enough about him to be keeping Lewis out the team, and I didn’t think he looked all that special. He was ok, and playing in a defence that was defending well, but not much more than that.

But he’s come on leaps and bounds and I love the driving runs from deep. Some really decent balls into the box as well so there is a decent end product there too.

He’s getting better every week and I’m starting to get really high hopes for him.

@hibs.net private member
    I am the same. I thought he struggled in some games earlier in the season and I think Ross has managed him very well. He played really well today and was a huge part in teh first goal which was the most important moment in the game. I hope he overlaps more as Murphy cuts in far too often for me but having that wide option will give murphy more space or allow him to find the pass. Well done Josh and Jack Ross

Very exciting player.

Defenders will be terrified of him running at that pace towards them..

The most excited I've been about a young player since Ryan Porteous broke through. Lad had got a bright future.

Hope the assist today gives him a bit of confidence. That’s what he needs to add to kick on a bit. Like that he always looks to play forward but that bit in the final third is what makes the difference.

I think a lot of his improvement might be down to working along side Lewis every day. Having someone with 500 appearances for the club helping and pushing you to become better everyday must be fantastic. Well done Josh.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The most excited I've been about a young player since Ryan Porteous broke through. Lad had got a bright future.
    Yes two players from the youth set up with a real chance of going further in the game. Both Ryan and Josh have that most important attribute “will to win”

Left by mutual consent!
    Thot he was great again today.

Looks like hes getting fitter,stronger. Cant wait to see how is career develops

Being managed well by Jack Ross I think. Giving him a rest now and again. Great potential

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Josh has got tons of ability, really excited for him Im sure he'll go onto big things. I really think this kid can play, he'll make mistakes at his age (and personally bringing Josh on is one of the reasons Lewis has a new contract.... not the only one btw before someone jumps down my throat), Very comfortable on the eye with the ball and no mean defender which is something he will improve on as all young players do in his positioning and decision making. Very exciting prospect as wing back and fullback. Ability wise, much more than Lewis, just needs to learn the game from a master like Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Josh has got tons of ability, really excited for him Im sure he'll go onto big things. I really think this kid can play, he'll make mistakes at his age (and personally bringing Josh on is one of the reasons Lewis has a new contract.... not the only one btw before someone jumps down my throat), Very comfortable on the eye with the ball and no mean defender which is something he will improve on as all young players do in his positioning and decision making. Very exciting prospect as wing back and fullback. Ability wise, much more than Lewis, just needs to learn the game from a master like Lewis.
    I know there is always talk of Hibs seeing him as a centre half long term. But the way he carries the ball, I just don’t see that at all. Looks like he has real potential at full back for me.

a young Ulrik Laursen. should be playing left mid with lewis left back

Quote Originally Posted by Zambernardi1875 View Post
    a young Ulrik Laursen. should be playing left mid with lewis left back
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by inglisavhibs View Post
    Nope

Loved his attitude against Celtic. He knew Frimpong roasted him earlier in the season, but rose to the challenge a second time. Most young players would have been terrified again, not Josh.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I was struggling to see the hype at the start but I’m really starting to think he’s the real deal. He’s got a great engine on him and he puts in a great cross. That run he had in the second half was fantastic and I thought he was unlucky not to get a penalty.

United we stand here....

Good young prospect who'll hopefully get much better, still making a few mistakes like being out of position or trying too much and losing the ball but he'll learn from that and he's got Stevenson mentoring him. A few guys mentioned he's seen as Hanlon's replacement but at the moment I see him as Stevenson's replacement and the way Lewis was talking about him, so does he.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    The lad looked full of confidence today and played really well. Delighted for Josh. He has a big future ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I was struggling to see the hype at the start but I’m really starting to think he’s the real deal. He’s got a great engine on him and he puts in a great cross. That run he had in the second half was fantastic and I thought he was unlucky not to get a penalty.
    I was screaming at the telly after that one. Outstanding run and the guy doesn't even play the ball just takes him out, didn't matter in the end at least.

Josh offers so much to the team in an attacking sense which is outstanding from left back

Looking better and better, good game from him today overall. Looks like he's believing more in his own ability too, which is well earned.

Keep it up, Josh.

@hibs.net private member
    Played very well today reminded me of a young Urlik Laursen.
    Hopefully develops into similar type player

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Enormous potential and will only get better. Thought it was a definite penalty.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post

Not a penalty IMO but josh was my motm.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Not a penalty IMO but josh was my motm.
    Mine also personally thought he knocked the ball between the defenders who blocked him off and would have been a foul anywhere else on the pitch but good to get the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Looking better and better, good game from him today overall. Looks like he's believing more in his own ability too, which is well earned.

Keep it up, Josh.
    Big thing for me is that he has to believe in himself.

I like the fact that he always looks forward first. Very rare that his first thought is to play the simple pass inside. He shows on occasion that he can carry the ball up the pitch, would just like to see him do it a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    It looked 100% a penalty in normal time but the replays showed it was actually a decent decision from the ref not to give it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It looked 100% a penalty in normal time but the replays showed it was actually a decent decision from the ref not to give it.
    Really enjoy watching this boy.. Destined for greater things, such an exciting talent. Just seems a level above what we are doing at such a young age,,,,

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post

Keep it up, Josh.
    The lad has no fear, also noticed when he conceded a corner he let Macey know re lack of communication, a lad not lacking leadership

First Team Breakthrough
    In addition to his other skills Doig looks like a good learner.In the previous game this season at ER against Kilmarnock he didn’t look like he quite new how to handle Chris Burke.This time when Burke came on Doig handling of him was a big improvement and Burke didn’t get away with much.Looks like he could become the new golden boy (sorry Ryan but you are getting on a bit).