hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reality check?

Reality check?

Dont usually post, but been biting my tongue for weeks..

The rangers have taken 72/78 points this season, and folk are still raging we never won... reality check folks..

Firstly, let me put on record that i am not enamoured by the style of football by Hibs at present.

I was as unhappy about the semi result as everyone else, but anyone who is confident going into a semi with Hibs is quite frankly delusional, even if the ugly sisters are not involved.

I think JR got his team wrong on Sat, and should have started Doidge up top with Nisbet. But to be fair to JR, apart from bad finishing and bad luck in the first half, we could be talking about how he got it right. Same with the other semi v them, Nisbet scores his header or Wright sweeps the ball into the net at 0 0, and it's a different game!

Football is played 11 v 11, and things happen during games that cannot be legislated for or coached.. deflections, injuries, offside goals given, handball not given, players slip, goalie fumbles, own goals.. that is the game we all fell in love with. I never fell in love with this game because Hibs were winning all the time!!! Things happen, teams win some and lose some.. that's football!

What I cannot understand though, is the lack of intensity, either with the ball or without. Fans also expect desire! I remember football from a bygone time when fans would give players a standing ovation for chasing a ball 60 yards into the corner, even if there was no chance of winning it.. on saturday, after the 2nd went in, we never showed any fight, and that is unacceptable.

Tonight however I felt we showed a bit more grit and determination, but still huffed and puffed. I feel that if you are playing a better team, desire, workrate and aggression can be great levellers.. these traits are the least expected!

Although the majority of comments on various social media platforms from fans regarding individual players performances and tactics are constructive and open for debate, there are some completely outrageous and hysterical comments too.

I dont know when expectations from Hibs fans became so grand. And no, i am not accepting mediocrity, simply being realistic.

Debate away

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I wouldn't really call Hibs fans expecting their team to beat St Johnstone in a League Cup semi final particularly grand and had every right to express their disappoint at both the result and the nature of it as in performance. Some people post in a more balanced manner some go off the richter scale, its the way social media is I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't really call Hibs fans expecting their team to beat St Johnstone in a League Cup semi final particularly grand and had every right to express their disappoint at both the result and the nature of it as in performance. Some people post in a more balanced manner some go off the richter scale, its the way social media is I'm afraid.
    Maybe, but after EVERY defeat?

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnton Hibs View Post
    Maybe, but after EVERY defeat?
    Seems to be that way on social media as an observation. Thats for every team not just Hibs.

It's the manner in which we get beat. One of our young lads gets smashed and what do the senior players do? Nowt! We are soft as ***** and let teams come to our patch and piss all over us without laying a glove on them. St Johnstone did the same exact thing. Smashed Porteos in the first five minutes and again we did nothing. We're a soft touch and the rest of the league know it.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    It's the manner in which we get beat. One of our young lads gets smashed and what do the senior players do? Nowt! We are soft as ***** and let teams come to our patch and piss all over us without laying a glove on them. St Johnstone did the same exact thing. Smashed Porteos in the first five minutes and again we did nothing. We're a soft touch and the rest of the league know it.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    I've laughed recently at Hibs podcast and fans on social media when focusing in on Ross 'big game records being shocking'. Now don't get me wrong, losing to Hearts and St Johnstone are very much in deed terrible, those he should rightly be criticize for and have the light shone at him.

However when I read fans saying 'he's not beat Rangers or Celtic' it honestly is just such a stupid and unfair thing to say. Wether folk like to hear it or not we have NO RIGHT to be beating the old firm. That's reality. We can aspire to beating them and hope for good battling performances etc, but we have absolutely no right in beating them with their 20x budgets. Fact.

So to use that as a stick to beat Jack Ross with is laughable. (Also not even recognizing the fact that we drew with Celtic twice, once a minute away from victory, and also drew with Rangers! We shouldn't even be getting draws againstthem with their size vs ours, never mind 3 in one season! so those results are definitely most welcome) Christ we haven't beat Rangers at Easter Road since 2008 and some clubs long before that.

A reality check indeed!
    Last edited by California-Hibs; 28-01-2021 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    I've laughed recently at Hibs podcast and fans on social media when focusing in on Ross 'big game records being shocking'. Now don't get me wrong, losing to Hearts and St Johnstone are very much in deed terrible, those he should rightly be criticize for and have the light shone at him.

However when I read fans saying 'he's not beat Rangers or Celtic' it honestly is just such a stupid and unfair thing to say. Wether folk like to hear it or not we have NO RIGHT to be beating the old firm. That's reality. We can aspire to beating them and hope for good battling performances etc, but we have absolutely no right in beating them with their 20x budgets. Fact.

So to use that as a stick to beat Jack Ross with is laughable. (Also not even recognizing the fact that we drew with Celtic twice, once a minute away from victory, and also drew with Rangers! We shouldn't even be getting draws againstthem with their size vs ours, never mind 3 in one season! so those results are definitely most welcome) Christ we haven't beat Rangers at Easter Road since 2008 and some clubs long before that.

A reality check indeed!
    And I doubt this website is reflective of the Hibs support. I'd guess that 90% of the posts are from about 50 hardcore fans who have very strong views, and for whom Hibs is a big part of their life - and there's nothing wrong with that.

But for most supporters, who do enjoy football and who love following Hibs, a defeat will not cause them to demand mass sackings, call players a disgrace and performances unacceptable. It's just another bump on the road, and life goes on.

@hibs.net private member

A reality check indeed!
    Rangers I agree with but this Celtic team are very much beatable - they are on a very poor run right now. If you want to see angry fans, take a look at what their support are saying!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

A reality check indeed!
    By the same token then I presume you’d say that Livi, RC and St J have no right to be beating us (at least to a lesser extent) never mind humping us and all of them managing it within a matter of weeks?
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 28-01-2021 at 07:19 AM.

There were 3 or 4 players round the referee after it happened. Confused as to what else you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    By the same token then I presume you’d say that Livi, RC and St J have no right to be beating us (at least to a lesser extent) never mind humping us and all of them managing it within a matter of weeks?
    Everyone should be trying to find a way to beat everyone else. It's not the performances against Rangers or Celtic that are killing us just now. We have probably done as well as anyone against them this season.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    There were 3 or 4 players round the referee after it happened. Confused as to what else you expect?
    Yep, you could see Daz shouting at the ref. about it as it happened.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Everyone should be trying to find a way to beat everyone else. It's not the performances against Rangers or Celtic that are killing us just now. We have probably done as well as anyone against them this season.
    Agree with that

Retribution. Bite in every tackle. Completely missing on Saturday

The rangers have taken 72/78 points this season, and folk are still raging we never won... reality check folks..

Firstly, let me put on record that i am not enamoured by the style of football by Hibs at present.

I was as unhappy about the semi result as everyone else, but anyone who is confident going into a semi with Hibs is quite frankly delusional, even if the ugly sisters are not involved.

I think JR got his team wrong on Sat, and should have started Doidge up top with Nisbet. But to be fair to JR, apart from bad finishing and bad luck in the first half, we could be talking about how he got it right. Same with the other semi v them, Nisbet scores his header or Wright sweeps the ball into the net at 0 0, and it's a different game!

Football is played 11 v 11, and things happen during games that cannot be legislated for or coached.. deflections, injuries, offside goals given, handball not given, players slip, goalie fumbles, own goals.. that is the game we all fell in love with. I never fell in love with this game because Hibs were winning all the time!!! Things happen, teams win some and lose some.. that's football!

What I cannot understand though, is the lack of intensity, either with the ball or without. Fans also expect desire! I remember football from a bygone time when fans would give players a standing ovation for chasing a ball 60 yards into the corner, even if there was no chance of winning it.. on saturday, after the 2nd went in, we never showed any fight, and that is unacceptable.

Tonight however I felt we showed a bit more grit and determination, but still huffed and puffed. I feel that if you are playing a better team, desire, workrate and aggression can be great levellers.. these traits are the least expected!

Although the majority of comments on various social media platforms from fans regarding individual players performances and tactics are constructive and open for debate, there are some completely outrageous and hysterical comments too.

I dont know when expectations from Hibs fans became so grand. And no, i am not accepting mediocrity, simply being realistic.

Debate away
    Great post. Totally agree

Our form since xmas is a worry - with a few BIG losses in that (County, Livi and St J) and its more the manner of defeat than the loss itself.

Overall though, i actually get quite frustrated with our support in terms of what our expectations are.

If we take the games up until Rangers on Boxing our stats are:

Played - 2
    For - 30
    Against - 18 (10 from the top 3)

In that, there's been 4 games where we have won by a margin of 3+ goals (0-3 vs Motherwell and St Mirren, 1-4 against livi and 0-4 vs Hamilton ALL AWAY)

There's games we could have won more convincingly and there's others we could've/should've lost - that's how football works. But the question marks over bottle I don't understand. If anything, there's an element of our fanbase that when the going gets tough jump on the bandwagon and doubt our bottle

Biggest disappointments for me in the league have been the results vs the sheep and the pounding we took at Celtic Park earlier in the season. we've competed well in the "big games" vs the OF otherwise and should've taken something from the last two games vs the huns

In my opinion, and I said it at the time but some fans just wont accept Jack Ross now after the loss vs Hearts in the semi and my worry was that he would go the same way as Neilson.

I look up north to Aberdeen who we perceive to play ***** football but are consistently best of the rest and have pipped us to players in the past and want some of that continuity and consistent European football

i think we've made some good signings and building a very good side. I don't understand the clamour for change personally

@hibs.net private member
    The Rangers never even got out of first gear last night. We deserved something from the game but we essentially played against a team that already know the league is won and they have achieved hero stated with the great unwashed. We yet again fell apart after half time and gave away a very avoidable goal. Our finishing was yet again terrible and we have no-one to come in as a third striker through the middle who is likely to do better than the two main strikers.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Retribution. Bite in every tackle. Completely missing on Saturday
    It didn't happen on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    The Rangers never even got out of first gear last night. We deserved something from the game but we essentially played against a team that already know the league is won and they have achieved hero stated with the great unwashed. We yet again fell apart after half time and gave away a very avoidable goal. Our finishing was yet again terrible and we have no-one to come in as a third striker through the middle who is likely to do better than the two main strikers.
    I would argue the reason Rangers weren't at their free flowing best was that we didn't let them.
    Our wing backs took the game to Tavernier and Barisic stopping them playing like extra forwards.
    We also went toe to toe in midfield and mostly matched them. There were times they cut us open but good players will do that and the likes of Kamara and Davis are a cut above what we have.
    It's sometimes fine to point out positives in a defeat.

@hibs.net private member
    I would argue the reason Rangers weren't at their free flowing best was that we didn't let them.
    Our wing backs took the game to Tavernier and Barisic stopping them playing like extra forwards.
    We also went toe to toe in midfield and mostly matched them. There were times they cut us open but good players will do that and the likes of Kamara and Davis are a cut above what we have.
    It's sometimes fine to point out positives in a defeat.
    I think The Rangers were passive, perhaps somewhat due to our efforts and tactics. However, they got a wee reminder at half time to buck up their ideas, upped their efforts for a short while, scored the goal and then dropped back into a comfortable cruise. They never even broke sweat last night imo

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Does that thinking apply to the other games that have played against them as well?? Three games against the best side in the league by far and they have all been close.

I think The Rangers were passive, perhaps somewhat due to our efforts and tactics. However, they got a wee reminder at half time to buck up their ideas, upped their efforts for a short while, scored the goal and then dropped back into a comfortable cruise. They never even broke sweat last night imo
    So, to summarise, they tried until they scored one goal then switched off again. Seems a bit risky to me particularly as we threw a few good balls into their area towards the end of the match.

@hibs.net private member

Debate away
    You think it's realistic accepting losing a semi final to a team that were 5 points off bottom of the league, and another semi final to a Championship team?

I'd say that's accepting mediocrity. But 4th place and cup embarrassments seem to be seen as a 'good season' though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    You think it's realistic accepting losing a semi final to a team that were 5 points off bottom of the league, and another semi final to a Championship team?

I'd say that's accepting mediocrity. But 4th place and cup embarrassments seem to be seen as a 'good season' though.
    Have you actually read his post?

Coaching Staff

So what are you doing about it?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Fair points. We should be all about dirty cheat Morelos, nothing else. Both when the incident happened and post match.

Jack Ross wasting his breath talking about our performance, it just gets ignored. Let’s shape the narrative.

Its realistic, because thats what happened!!! As for 4th place and semi finals, tell me where in the last 40 years we have won the right to expect more???

Maybe we are a mediocre team right now??

First Team Breakthrough
    I always stay away from .Net after a defeat like Saturday, just not worth reading the hate. It's also notable that as a .Net reader we live in our own bubble and you can reflect that on the 'Ross Out' poll only 151 Hibs supporters want Ross Out, that's not to say that the other 20 to 30 thousand don't have an opinion on it, just that .Net is a world in its own. I'll always be a Hibby, but I reserve the right to criticise the team when they don't play well - having watched them for over 40 years I have seen more bad than good play and can't wait to get back to the games (good ort bad).

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    And I doubt this website is reflective of the Hibs support. I'd guess that 90% of the posts are from about 50 hardcore fans who have very strong views, and for whom Hibs is a big part of their life - and there's nothing wrong with that.

But for most supporters, who do enjoy football and who love following Hibs, a defeat will not cause them to demand mass sackings, call players a disgrace and performances unacceptable. It's just another bump on the road, and life goes on.
    Like the OP I don't post often and sit biting my tongue at some of the outlandish posts on here, I agree wholeheartedly with everything he and you say.

We have Hibby's on here and elsewhere saying Cadden and Magennis are crap? The same ones who jumped on Newell when he first arrived, they couldn't spot a player if he walked up and slapped them on the kisser.

The same posters were raving about Alex Miller getting the tactics right before the Livvy game and how Jack was tactically inept and hopeless. Alex Miller would have been hounded out of ER after 10 weeks never mind 10 yrs by these people. He ended up winning us a trophy, and nearly 2.

I'd say his tenure was grim for the most part ( especially his derby record ) and he was finally hounded out for it.

I hope Jack gets the same length of time. I confidently predict he'll win us a trophy/trophies.

I also predict Cadden, Irvine and Magennis will be great signings.

A final message to all the doom and gloomers out there, please be aware that you are posting your opinion which is fair enough, but to bang on and on every week regardless, believing what you type is Gospel? To me that just makes you out to be the guy no one wants to be sat next to at the games because you're just a pain in the arse.

GGTTH always.