Thread: The pitch

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Pitch was utterly brutal.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are back to the mantra being preached when Leeann Dempster first came to the club, but which seems to be backslid on at times.

That was, if you take care of the little things as carefully as the big obvious things all of these small fractions end up making a difference. As others have pointed out, this club for the most part signs footballers, it's no accident we go for folk like Allan, Murphy and Newell. We spend 5 million quid on somewhere for them to train and no doubt spend a fortune every year running the place.

What's the point of all that when you then provide them with a ploughed field to play on that immediately turns every game into a physical long ball battle where their superior ability is taken out of the equation? It's too late for this season, but before the next one our seemingly never ending pitch issues really need to be addressed, either that or we save a pile of money and just sign a whole load of journeymen bruisers more suited to football on a quagmire.
    Hard to argue with any off this. The pitch is an embarrassment

Left by mutual consent!
    I'd much rather we spent money on a pitch than a giant screen anyway

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Its Scotland, its winter, the weather has been really crap, grass doesn't grow with the temperatures we've been having, its difficult to fight against mother nature, the pitch is what it is so we roll up our sleeves and get on with it.

Apologies for all the commas.
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 16-01-2021 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    I think the sand made it look worse than it actually was. The ball seemed to travel along the surface ok.
    Exactly. Can anyone point out a passage in play where the pitch had a significant detrimental effect. Looked bad but seemed to play ok and apart from Irvine slip early doors, no-one seemed to be constantly losing their footing.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Why would we furlough ground staff when we knew we would need the pitch for the new season?

The pitch has been awful most of the season, it’s not just the last week. And every year is the same around now, we shouldn’t just accept that.

I’d question if it really cost ‘hundreds of thousands of pounds’ for the lights, however, we shouldn’t just neglect the pitch because of costs. One place in the league is hundreds of thousands of pounds and we are making it hard for ourselves. We want entertainment, we want fast free flowing attacking football, we want our undoubtedly better footballers to be able to play football, not worry about the next bobble or slip.

I’d be extremely surprised if it isn’t something Ron is looking at, it’s a huge part of the way we play and as such should be given the money required to keep it in shape all year round.
    You’re asking the wrong person.

I’d like to think it’s something that will be invested in, I just wouldn’t want to be the person that had to tell supporters that we couldn’t bring in players because we spent it on lights for the pitch. Plus we would need a huge space to store them in or around the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    You’re asking the wrong person.

I’d like to think it’s something that will be invested in, I just wouldn’t want to be the person that had to tell supporters that we couldn’t bring in players because we spent it on lights for the pitch. Plus we would need a huge space to store them in or around the stadium.
    I’d rather a consistently good pitch would be at the top of our infrastructure list rather than screens, indoor pitches and the like. No reason for it to impact playing budgets but even if it did have a slight impact, I’d rather that than bring in even more quality footballers that are unable to showcase skills due to the mud bath they’re playing on.

I’d rather a consistently good pitch would be at the top of our infrastructure list rather than screens, indoor pitches and the like. No reason for it to impact playing budgets but even if it did have a slight impact, I’d rather that than bring in even more quality footballers that are unable to showcase skills due to the mud bath they’re playing on.
    I really don’t think the quality of the pitch is going to impact player signings like this. Players will sign for the club on a salary they are happy with and with playing targets they are happy with.

Why wouldn’t playing budget be impacted if we have to spend half a million quid on lights for the pitch, or invest over a million in a hybrid pitch that still has to be maintained like a regular pitch.

The bottom line is that grass doesn’t grow in the winter, it really is that simple, and a hybrid pitch won’t solve that unless we have big pitch lamps to make the stuff grow.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    That’s a pretty poor and uniformed opinion given that the groundsman came on hibs tv before the game to explain exactly why the pitch was the way it was.
    I don't recall going into why the pitch is the way it is, so I'm not sure why I've expressed an uninformed opinion. Explaining it is fine and I'm sure the explanation is perfectly valid ... the question is what do we do about it and if that involves a million quid pitch and heat lamps, how do we go about making it happen.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Looked like a ploughed field.

I really don’t think the quality of the pitch is going to impact player signings like this. Players will sign for the club on a salary they are happy with and with playing targets they are happy with.

Why wouldn’t playing budget be impacted if we have to spend half a million quid on lights for the pitch, or invest over a million in a hybrid pitch that still has to be maintained like a regular pitch.

The bottom line is that grass doesn’t grow in the winter, it really is that simple, and a hybrid pitch won’t solve that unless we have big pitch lamps to make the stuff grow.
    Because it would be instead of other infrastructure projects rather than instead of players.

Remember the yams pitch being awful - like really bad during a few derbies and games.

This seem very compact but just not much grass.

About 12 days till next game against Rangers to improve.

Not sure rest of fixtures but not sure we will have a gap.

How’s put nearly all staff on furlough last year - think only Leanne and maybe couple others weren’t put on furlough.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Remember the yams pitch being awful - like really bad during a few derbies and games.

This seem very compact but just not much grass.

About 12 days till next game against Rangers to improve.

Not sure rest of fixtures but not sure we will have a gap.

How’s put nearly all staff on furlough last year - think only Leanne and maybe couple others weren’t put on furlough.
    It’s just been 2 weeks since our last home game and no difference. I doubt the weather will improve that much, and we don’t have the equipment to improve it just now. It’ll be as bad in 2 weeks as it was today, we’ll have to get on with it this season but it needs rectified for future seasons.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I don't recall going into why the pitch is the way it is, so I'm not sure why I've expressed an uninformed opinion. Explaining it is fine and I'm sure the explanation is perfectly valid ... the question is what do we do about it and if that involves a million quid pitch and heat lamps, how do we go about making it happen.
    He literally stated why it was the way it was. You talked about the little things not being right and used that as a criticism when there was a clear reason for the pitch being the way it is. There is very little that can be done until the grass starts to grow again unfortunately. We don’t have the money for hybrid pitches and heat lamps, we’re just going to have to put up with it for now.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    He literally stated why it was the way it was. You talked about the little things not being right and used that as a criticism when there was a clear reason for the pitch being the way it is. There is very little that can be done until the grass starts to grow again unfortunately. We don’t have the money for hybrid pitches and heat lamps, we’re just going to have to put up with it for now.
    Your last couple of sentences, we need to get away from that line of thinking. We need to redirect money from other projects, or work on new lines of income to ensure we can afford a quality surface all year round. Ron always talks about being ‘best in field’ in every area, and this has to be one of those areas. After this season we shouldn’t be ‘putting up with it’ otherwise on the field results will suffer.

If it doesn't get any better we could play at Ainslie Park. W5 D0 L0 on artificial surfaces this season.

Loads of grassy areas in Edinburgh that seem just fine. My back garden. Golf course fairways. Parks.

What do we do to our pitch to make it so bad?

Looks like we cut it and spike it almost everyday. Mental.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    The weather in the last few weeks has been awful including last night very heavy rain. Hopefully get a number of drier days to improve. Do get the impression the pitch gets much worse when very cold and heating on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Loads of grassy areas in Edinburgh that seem just fine. My back garden. Golf course fairways. Parks.

None of these areas are overshadowed by 4 stands that block the sunlight getting to the pitch.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Why would we furlough ground staff when we knew we would need the pitch for the new season?

The pitch has been awful most of the season, it’s not just the last week. And every year is the same around now, we shouldn’t just accept that.

I’d question if it really cost ‘hundreds of thousands of pounds’ for the lights, however, we shouldn’t just neglect the pitch because of costs. One place in the league is hundreds of thousands of pounds and we are making it hard for ourselves. We want entertainment, we want fast free flowing attacking football, we want our undoubtedly better footballers to be able to play football, not worry about the next bobble or slip.

I’d be extremely surprised if it isn’t something Ron is looking at, it’s a huge part of the way we play and as such should be given the money required to keep it in shape all year round.
    We're assuming it was because the Hibs groundstaff were furloughed, it could have been anywhere along the supply chain the issues occurred. A lot of industries and areas have had issues because their suppliers were unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post

golf course fairways? have you tried walking on Carrick Knowe? it has been like a badly drained swamp since Autumn

Because it would be instead of other infrastructure projects rather than instead of players.
    I would be behind that to an extent, but Ron Gordon’s big focus is on improving the match day experience for the supporters, and I would be surprised if they decided to ditch all the ideas they announced in favour of pitch equipment. There’s also the issue of storing it. These things are big, I don’t where they would go.

I would be behind that to an extent, but Ron Gordon’s big focus is on improving the match day experience for the supporters, and I would be surprised if they decided to ditch all the ideas they announced in favour of pitch equipment. There’s also the issue of storing it. These things are big, I don’t where they would go.
    The biggest entertainment on a match day is on the pitch, I’d be surprised if it isn’t right at the top of Ron’s short term infrastructure improvements to be fair. The rest are long term projects that will take time to implement.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Just had a close up of the surface at Elland Road on MOTD, We’re not alone, although it looks greener.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Given that the pitch wasn't played on from March onward, maybe they thought that the turf would recover enough without being renewed in the summer? This would represent a much needed cash saving with the guys being furloughed anyway.

The pitch was bad but will start to recover in a few weeks.

Given the precarious nature of football and it's finances at the moment, it's pretty good going if a dodgy pitch (and a cheesy presenter) are all we have to moan about.

Our pitch is ordinarily pretty good, with maybe 3-4 matches per season (around this time of year) where it's less than perfect. Maybe we can trust the people who run the club to decide where money needs to be spent?

In case you haven't noticed, they've done a pretty good job of it in recent years.

Of course, there will always be people on here who know better, or are looking for something to be outraged about.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    That’s everyone telt then!

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    That’s everyone telt then!
    Can’t talk about team selections as that’s the managers job, can’t talk about financial decisions as that’s the money men’s job, can’t talk about the pitch as that’s the groundsmans job, can’t criticise a referees performance as he’s the expert... Be a very quiet place here shortly.

Blog Entries
    If this thread is anything to go by, there’ll be plenty of applicants for the job when the head groundsman gets his P45 on Monday.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Can’t talk about team selections as that’s the managers job, can’t talk about financial decisions as that’s the money men’s job, can’t talk about the pitch as that’s the groundsmans job, can’t criticise a referees performance as he’s the expert... Be a very quiet place here shortly.
    You're going OTT again.

All I'm suggesting is that maybe the people who made the decision not to returf in the summer know their stuff and had good reasons to do so.

People are very quick to criticise without having all the information or even enough knowledge to do so credibly.

And once again, you cover the board with your opinions but I'm not allowed mine?

Aye right!

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    You're going OTT again.

All I'm suggesting is that maybe the people who made the decision not to returf in the summer know their stuff and had good reasons to do so.

People are very quick to criticise without having all the information or even enough knowledge to do so credibly.

And once again, you cover the board with your opinions but I'm not allowed mine?

Aye right!
    ‘Of course, there will always be people on here who know better, or are looking for something to be outraged about’

There is having your opinion (totally fine) but that line suggests no one else can criticise the state of the pitch or the decisions made because we either don’t know better or were outraged.

Looking at the Nick of the pitch over the last 5 home games, and expecting that it won’t improve dramatically in the next 3 weeks so 7 home games minimum with a bare, bobbly and muddy pitch conducive to battles rather than football games then it’s going to have a negative impact on our results and performances.

If the ground staff were furloughed rather than supplier issues and its resulted in the mess of the pitch then it’s a poor decision and the fans should be able to comment on that.