hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The pitch

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I’m sure Clacmannann CCCCs pitch was well maintained, Linlithgow certainly was. Green keepers/ Groundsmen were allowed to work. Maybe because Hibs use contractors?
    These places don’t have massive stands blocking the light getting to the pitch.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Well I’m sure Clacmannann CCCCs pitch was well maintained, Linlithgow certainly was. Green keepers/ Groundsmen were allowed to work. Maybe because Hibs use contractors?
    Nae idea about the use of contractors at ER. But aye, The Arns was looking fabulous this year as we're the local golf clubs. Probably due to the fact no one was playing on them

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    These places don’t have massive stands blocking the light getting to the pitch.
    Light and air circulation make a huge difference.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    watching the Glasgow v Edinburgh rugby just now, whatever that surface is GET IT it looks great

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    The staff required to relay the pitch in the summer weren’t available. The teams you mentioned won’t have played anywhere near as many games on their pitch as hibs have.

United we stand here....

We are back to the mantra being preached when Leeann Dempster first came to the club, but which seems to be backslid on at times.

That was, if you take care of the little things as carefully as the big obvious things all of these small fractions end up making a difference. As others have pointed out, this club for the most part signs footballers, it's no accident we go for folk like Allan, Murphy and Newell. We spend 5 million quid on somewhere for them to train and no doubt spend a fortune every year running the place.

What's the point of all that when you then provide them with a ploughed field to play on that immediately turns every game into a physical long ball battle where their superior ability is taken out of the equation? It's too late for this season, but before the next one our seemingly never ending pitch issues really need to be addressed, either that or we save a pile of money and just sign a whole load of journeymen bruisers more suited to football on a quagmire.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    We are back to the mantra being preached when Leeann Dempster first came to the club, but which seems to be backslid on at times.

That was, if you take care of the little things as carefully as the big obvious things all of these small fractions end up making a difference. As others have pointed out, this club for the most part signs footballers, it's no accident we go for folk like Allan, Murphy and Newell. We spend 5 million quid on somewhere for them to train and no doubt spend a fortune every year running the place.

What's the point of all that when you then provide them with a ploughed field to play on that immediately turns every game into a physical long ball battle where their superior ability is taken out of the equation? It's too late for this season, but before the next one our seemingly never ending pitch issues really need to be addressed, either that or we save a pile of money and just sign a whole load of journeymen bruisers more suited to football on a quagmire.
    Absolutely agree, we're our own worst enemy at times.

@hibs.net private member
    Don’t people think it’s the weather of late ?? We’ve had snow, ice and rain dominant for the last 2-3 weeks - this last week it’s been murder - brutally cold and overnight we had torrential rain in edinburgh. The pitch looked horrible, but it’s not really surprising I don’t think ..

Let’s see what it looks like in the next month ..

The thread is full of reasons as to why the pitch in the state it is.

- essential work wasn’t done in the summer due to the furlough. For as long as I can remember Hibs have ripped up and re-seeded the whole pitch in the summer.

- the atrocious weather we have had over the last week or so.

- this time of year we don’t get light to the pitch due to the height of the stands and we don’t have the massive lighting rigs they have down south that costs hundreds of thousands of pounds.

This isn’t penny pinching or mismanagement, it is purely down to circumstances out with the clubs control.

That’s a pretty poor and uniformed opinion given that the groundsman came on hibs tv before the game to explain exactly why the pitch was the way it was.

United we stand here....

- essential work wasn’t done in the summer due to the furlough. For as long as I can remember Hibs have ripped up and re-seeded the whole pitch in the summer.

- this time of year we don’t get light to the pitch due to the height of the stands and we don’t have the massive lighting rigs they have down south that costs hundreds of thousands of pounds.

This isn’t penny pinching or mismanagement, it is purely down to circumstances out with the clubs control.
    Whilst today is by far the worst I've seen it, I don't think our pitch has been of a particularly good standard for at least a few years. I've remarked upon it to others for the last couple of seasons prior to this.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    That’s a pretty poor and uniformed opinion given that the groundsman came on hibs tv before the game to explain exactly why the pitch was the way it was.
    What were the headlines ??

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    Whilst today is by far the worst I've seen it, I don't think our pitch has been of a particularly good standard for at least a few years. I've remarked upon it to others for the last couple of years.
    I’ve said this on the thread before: grass doesn’t grow in January. It’s very difficult to make something that takes the punishment of a football pitch look pretty when it doesn’t regrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    What were the headlines ??
    They weren’t able to relay the pitch in the summer due to covid

United we stand here....

Is our pitch maintenance contracted out or do we employ a couple of people to look after it full time?

I'd be curious to know what the difference in cost would be for each option and which provides better results. What do other clubs in Scotland do?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    They weren’t able to relay the pitch in the summer due to covid
    Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always think Easter Road seems to be particularly affected when undersoil heating is needed, it harms all pitches but I think we seem to just have a bigger deterioration than others?
    It's maybe perception just with watching more games on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaff View Post
    I always think Easter Road seems to be particularly affected when undersoil heating is needed, it harms all pitches but I think we seem to just have a bigger deterioration than others?
    It's maybe perception just with watching more games on it?
    It means the pitch continually has moisture in the soil because it’s preventing the water from freezing: more water means the pitch cuts up more.

I’m only guessing now but I’d imagine the cooler temperatures hinder the drainage too, freezing up and preventing water from draining off.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    It means the pitch continually has moisture in the soil because it’s preventing the water from freezing: more water means the pitch cuts up more.

I’m only guessing now but I’d imagine the cooler temperatures hinder the drainage too, freezing up and preventing water from draining off.
    Be interesting to see the other pitches on Sportscene tonight

Yes but that is horrendous. Not a good look for a top class football club.
    What are they supposed to do?[/QUOTE]

Invest in a hybrid pitch. If we want to play good football could be as good an investment as any player

It’s gone downhill since Tam McCourt stopped doing it. That man had horticultural magic running through his veins.

I'm not denying the costs mate, I just think with proper ground staff in place we could have done better and if it's a fact that furlough affected us because we use a contractor perhaps that's one of the issues we need to address.

Of course once again we are back to the merits of summer football, there's a muckle big light in the sky that's brilliant for growing pitches from April to September.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    watching the Glasgow v Edinburgh rugby just now, whatever that surface is GET IT it looks great
    Sure it’s Astroturf

Quote Originally Posted by Helensburghhibs View Post
    What are they supposed to do?
    Invest in a hybrid pitch. If we want to play good football could be as good an investment as any player[/QUOTE]

I cant see us paying for a hybrid pitch when we are making budget cuts all over the club due to covid.

I think the sand made it look worse than it actually was. The ball seemed to travel along the surface ok.

Why would we furlough ground staff when we knew we would need the pitch for the new season?

The pitch has been awful most of the season, it’s not just the last week. And every year is the same around now, we shouldn’t just accept that.

I’d question if it really cost ‘hundreds of thousands of pounds’ for the lights, however, we shouldn’t just neglect the pitch because of costs. One place in the league is hundreds of thousands of pounds and we are making it hard for ourselves. We want entertainment, we want fast free flowing attacking football, we want our undoubtedly better footballers to be able to play football, not worry about the next bobble or slip.

I’d be extremely surprised if it isn’t something Ron is looking at, it’s a huge part of the way we play and as such should be given the money required to keep it in shape all year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    I think the sand made it look worse than it actually was. The ball seemed to travel along the surface ok.
    I was thinking the same. I was expecting to see the ball bobbling about all over the place. It wasn’t that bad.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

It looks terrible on sportscene , there will be junior grounds in better condition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    I guess these UV lights that man city etc use are expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Helensburghhibs View Post
    What are they supposed to do?
    Invest in a hybrid pitch. If we want to play good football could be as good an investment as any player[/QUOTE]

A hybrid pitch is only worth the money if we can afford to maintain it. They cost millions to lay and still require upkeep the same way a grass pitch does.