hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The pitch

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibs have them too.

The pitch looks terrible but during the first lockdown I never heard anyone say that it was a priority to look after the pitch and that we should not put anyone who’d work on it on furlough . The aim was I think to pare things down to the bone in the face of what might have been an almost existential threat.

Now after work in the summer was not done, for example to remove thatch, which together with bad weather seems to have made the pitch poor under modern standards, it now seems a stick to beat the club with.
    It took ten years in the 80s!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Nothing there about essential work being neglected in the summer. McGinn mentions that a lack of resources is a factor, whatever that means?

Both clearly say that the pitch is having an impact on our style and that the team has to adapt to it.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Nothing there about essential work being neglected in the summer. McGinn mentions that a lack of resources is a factor, whatever that means?

Both clearly say that the pitch is having an impact on our style and that the team has to adapt to it.
    Well it probably means we have had to make budget cuts due to lack of income and that has had an impact on the quality of the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Well it probably means we have had to make budget cuts due to lack of income and that has had an impact on the quality of the pitch
    I’m intrigued. As a keen gardener myself, I’ve pointed out that we had a fantastic three months of summer, from April-June. The grass would have had lots of ideal recovery time and perfect growing weather.

Someone mentioned the impact of furlough and lack of essential maintenance. I wonder what essential work wasn’t carried out? It would seem incredibly short sighted of the club to have just left it and we end up with a tattie field.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I’m intrigued. As a keen gardener myself, I’ve pointed out that we had a fantastic three months of summer, from April-June. The grass would have had lots of ideal recovery time and perfect growing weather.

Someone mentioned the impact of furlough and lack of essential maintenance. I wonder what essential work wasn’t carried out? It would seem incredibly short sighted of the club to have just left it and we end up with a tattie field.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but do we not rip up and re-seed the pitch every closed season? Maybe this work wasn't possible to carry out?

Hardly seems a valid excuse. Why are all the other pitches not in this state. For a team that likes to play football on the floor this is a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but do we not rip up and re-seed the pitch every closed season? Maybe this work wasn't possible to carry out?
    Not certain, but I would imagine relaying the pitch has longer intervals than season by season. Reseeding- returfing heavily damaged areas must be seasonal.

If that was a cost saving measure that needed done, then it was a bad decision from the club not to.

All pitches in Scotland will have been impacted, with some clubs having to postpone games due to frozen or flooded pitches and many others with pitches not in great condition. We just won our last home game and we've only got one home game within the next 19 days or so we should be fine.

The groundsman mentioned on Saturday the exact work that couldn’t be done but I never quite listened to it as it’s foreign to me. He said because of Covid so I think most are putting two and two together regarding furlough, but as said elsewhere it may not be Hibs staff on furlough, it may be suppliers or lack of products due to Covid.

The thread is full of reasons as to why the pitch in the state it is.

- essential work wasn’t done in the summer due to the furlough. For as long as I can remember Hibs have ripped up and re-seeded the whole pitch in the summer.

- the atrocious weather we have had over the last week or so.

- this time of year we don’t get light to the pitch due to the height of the stands and we don’t have the massive lighting rigs they have down south that costs hundreds of thousands of pounds.

This isn’t penny pinching or mismanagement, it is purely down to circumstances out with the clubs control.
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    The groundsman mentioned on Saturday the exact work that couldn’t be done but I never quite listened to it as it’s foreign to me. He said because of Covid so I think most are putting two and two together regarding furlough, but as said elsewhere it may not be Hibs staff on furlough, it may be suppliers or lack of products due to Covid.

Fair point. I think I latched on to the furlough thing, thinking it must be to do with our ground staff.

Either way, it is what it is. Not much can be done just now I suppose.

Coaching Staff
    It’s January. Grass doesn’t grow in January. I imagine.
    I just looked out my window and I swear mine has grown about an inch and a bit this week!

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I just looked out my window and I swear mine has grown about an inch and a bit this week!
    I see what you did there Fred.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I was genuinely confused until I saw where you are

You must to cut it 4 times a week.

Coaching Staff
    I was genuinely confused until I saw where you are

You must to cut it 4 times a week.
    nah, once a week.

The bloody Galahs peck it down to size!

Just walked through the west stand car park and I could see the lamps at the corner of the FF so we are definitely using them