hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lewis Stevenson

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I diligently did some research all by myself, stats fans:

When compared to other Premiership left-backs who have played more than 300 minutes this season (to offer a worthwhile sample size), Lewis tops the league in terms of his passing accuracy (84%), dribble success (80%) and challenge success (68%). He is second in the table for tackle success (79%).

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sorry, I forgot he won those two cups all by himself. And no winning the strangest man of the match decision when Benji and Fletcher scored two goals apiece doesn't change that.

2016 final he was genuinely like having a man down at times. Gives Miller a free header that he somehow hit the bar with in the first half and risks giving away a penalty by pushing Waghorn over in the box at the start of the second.

Those last two sentences are just about the biggest contradiction I've ever seen. Read it back.
    📈 Evergreen Lewis Stevenson is still producing the goods.

📊 Compared to other Premiership left-backs (>300 minutes this season), Lewis...

✅ Tops the league in passing accuracy (84%), dribble success (80%) and challenge success (68%).
    ✅ Is second for tackle success (79%).

There's yer sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    📈 Evergreen Lewis Stevenson is still producing the goods.

📊 Compared to other Premiership left-backs (>300 minutes this season), Lewis...

✅ Tops the league in passing accuracy (84%), dribble success (80%) and challenge success (68%).
    ✅ Is second for tackle success (79%).

There's yer sentiment.
    Excellent news! Then he's the best left back in the league and we should be expecting a bid from Rangers or Celtic any day now then?

You know those stats are *****. Wonder what his passing accuracy becomes if you take out "passing the ball back to Hanlon"?

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Must have been tough finding out that wee Lewis was ****ging your burd
    I've met Stevenson and he left the impression that he's one of the nicest blokes and all round good guys that Scottish football's produced in the last twenty years.

His own humility means that he's far more aware of his shortcomings as a footballer than some of his delusional .net worshippers.

Excellent news! Then he's the best left back in the league and we should be expecting a bid from Rangers or Celtic any day now then?

You know those stats are *****. Wonder what his passing accuracy becomes if you take out "passing the ball back to Hanlon"?
    How about dribbles, challenges and tackles or so you want to ignore them.

I'll go with the stats over your assessment 😅

What a measured and necessary response.

'Those stats are ****' isn't a sensible argument. Could be said to be a tad emotionally charged, actually - rather than being led by reason.

Excellent and sensible signing for Hibs, as he has been after every other renewal.

I'm sorry, I forgot he won those two cups all by himself. And no winning the strangest man of the match decision when Benji and Fletcher scored two goals apiece doesn't change that.

2016 final he was genuinely like having a man down at times. Gives Miller a free header that he somehow hit the bar with in the first half and risks giving away a penalty by pushing Waghorn over in the box at the start of the second.

Those last two sentences are just about the biggest contradiction I've ever seen. Read it back.

Oh dear.

I've met Stevenson and he left the impression that he's one of the nicest blokes and all round good guys that Scottish football's produced in the last twenty years.

His own humility means that he's far more aware of his shortcomings as a footballer than some of his delusional .net worshippers.

You’re already in a hole. Stop digging.

I love sentimentality and I hope Stevenson stays for the rest of his career so he can retire as a one club man and hopefully even try to eclipse Arthur Duncan's 613.

All I'm asking for is consistency from the posters who get all misty eyed about Stevenson while also at the exact same time demanding "WE SHOULD BE FINISHING THIRD EVERY SEASON AND IF WE DON'T THEN SACK ROSS AND THE WHOLE BOARD."

If you want the ambitious club that finishes way above Hibs' average league position every season, then you're going to have to sacrifice the sort of sentimentality that's kept players like Stevenson around for sixteen years.

Good decision as he is still contributing weekly. Happy for him. Interesting he didn’t get the gold plated 4 year deal McGregor and Gray got?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I think that would be a logical suggestion.

Doig is the future, Stevenson to mentor etc. Sensible contract extension.
    Doig is a CB and likely PHs successor. Dont write Mackie off

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

Utterly pointless contribution from someone who is clearly very bored and desperately needing some attention. I feel your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Utterly pointless contribution from someone who is clearly very bored and desperately needing some attention. I feel your pain.
    You seem nice.

I love sentimentality and I hope Stevenson stays for the rest of his career so he can retire as a one club man and hopefully even try to eclipse Arthur Duncan's 613.

All I'm asking for is consistency from the posters who get all misty eyed about Stevenson while also at the exact same time demanding "WE SHOULD BE FINISHING THIRD EVERY SEASON AND IF WE DON'T THEN SACK ROSS AND THE WHOLE BOARD."

If you want the ambitious club that finishes way above Hibs' average league position every season, then you're going to have to sacrifice the sort of sentimentality that's kept players like Stevenson around for sixteen years.
    I just don't see how retaining Stevenson, a cheap player considering his seniority and quality in the team, and achieving 3rd are mutually exclusive. I've not seen a 'Red Bull' thread on this forum for absolutely ages and it seems quite odd to bring it up on a thread about Lewis' contract renewal.

He's playing a different role these days, supporting Doig's development and providing vital competition/cover at LB. Choosing not to renew his inexpensive contract and putting that money elsewhere wouldn't have us achieving 3rd place.

If you're saying you don't even believe in any of the views you're touting, then why even mention it? Just to annoy people?

You seem nice.
    You've never used that one before, I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    I just don't see how retaining Stevenson, a cheap player considering his seniority and quality for the team, and achieving 3rd are mutually exclusive. I've not seen a 'Red Bull' thread on this forum for absolutely ages and it seems quite odd to bring it up on a thread about Lewis' contract renewal.

He's playing a different role these days, supporting Doig's development and providing vital competition/cover at LB. Choosing not to renew his inexpensive contract and putting that money elsewhere wouldn't have us achieving 3rd place.

If you're saying you don't even believe in any of the views you're touting, then why even mention it? Just to annoy people?
    Because at no point have I made it my view that we should get rid of Stevenson? I just think that if we want to be "ambitious" and reaching our minimum expectations of fourth (ie. something we've done six or seven times in forty years), like some of the morons on here keep using to beat Ross with a stick, then we should be looking for a better left back!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Great decision well done Lewis. Club legend and winner.

Because at no point have I made it my view that we should get rid of Stevenson? I just think that if we want to be "ambitious" and reaching our minimum expectations of fourth (ie. something we've done six or seven times in forty years), like some of the morons on here keep using to beat Ross with a stick, then we should be looking for a better left back!
    Maybe we already have the better left back at the club?

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    You've never used that one before, I can tell.
    Well you just decided to go straight for personal attacks on a football forum that was discussing a second choice left back, so maybe we'll just let that linger as a reflection on your good self.

So it's not your view that we should get rid of Stevenson, but you think to be ambitious we should look for a better left back?

I still don't quite get the point of your post. It seemed to be attempting to call nameless posters out for their supposed activity on a thread that hasn't been discussed at all recently.

If you like sentimentality and want Lewis at the Club, you could have just gone with that. Each to their own.

Well you just decided to go straight for personal attacks on a football forum that was discussing a second choice left back, so maybe we'll just let that linger as a reflection on your good self.
    Posting churlish ***** and deliberately seeking a reaction when discussing one of our most loved players is always a good way to engage in discussion right enough.

Have a look at your posting history, it's rank.

I like reading different opinions but this is just bizarre. It almost seems fuelled by some kind of visceral hatred.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Pleased to hear, he still has plenty to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Must have been tough finding out that wee Lewis was ****ging your burd
    Lewis wouldnt do that.... he'd arrange a Zoom call with the guy to give him some coaching, or maybe put his arm round him during foreplay?

Delighted with this. Whilst I'm not certain he will be involved on the pitch every week anymore, he has lots to offer the club in general and I hope he is involved, in some capacity, for many years to come.

Lewis is one of the greats of our club.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I like reading different opinions but this is just bizarre. It almost seems fuelled by some kind of visceral hatred.
    Both of those things happened in that cup final - yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Lewis has been the subject of such visceral abuse before. Poster no longer posts, unless of course he’s just created a new username.

Football fans will always have and defend their favourites, as I do with Lewis. It’s often based on emotion. Football clubs don’t do emotional connections. They just employ players who can play an integral part in matches. Just like Lewis in fact.

I’m delighted for him as it is a recognition that he still has an important role to play at the club
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Lewis has been the subject of such visceral abuse before. Poster no longer posts, unless of course he’s just created a new username.

Football fans will always have and defend their favourites, as I do with Lewis. It’s often based on emotion. Football clubs don’t do emotional connections. They just employ players who can play an integral part in matches. Just like Lewis in fact.

I’m delighted for him as it is a recognition that he still has an important role to play at the club
    Good post JB.

I also think, like most things in life, there's room for both the emotional and the rational in running a football club. There's plenty of pragmatic value in keeping Lewy, his stats are still strong, he's reliable, fit, inexpensive, and generally worth keeping as a player. But there's also the sentimental side of things, and a well run club (like I'd consider Hibs to be) recognise these things too. It'd be tone deaf and out of touch to not allow history and sentiment to play some kind of role in a club's operation IMO, but equally that can't be the only factor.

Renewing Stevenson's contract continues to be a good decision, both rationally and emotionally, so I'm very happy to see us make that decision.

PS. I'm guessing Hibs have an option to extend, given they've said it'll run 'at least' until summer 2022?
    Last edited by Vault Boy; 15-01-2021 at 02:21 PM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Both of those things happened in that cup final - yes or no?

Didn't matter though did it?

Left by mutual consent!
    Lewy's career stats from Football Reference

https://fbref.com/en/players/dfdd68d7/Lewis-Stevenson