hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alan Rough

Alan Rough

Not sure if this has been asked before but in my old head I was convinced that Alan Roughs first game for Hibs was a night game against Swansea at ER- some sort of friendly quickly arranged and it was a horrible misty midweek night. I have no idea if I am just confused as the stats all say it was Celtic and we lost 3-2. Can anyone shed any light?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Made his debut 27/11/1982 after signing from Jags for 60k in a 2-3 loss versus Celtic at home

The Swansea game was on 17/2/1983 a 1-0 win at Easter Road

Might be wrong but I attended the Celtic game and was excited at our new signing

Both HIBS goals scored by Simon Murray’s dad

Frank McGarvey 2 and Paul McStay for Celtic
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 13-01-2021 at 10:40 PM.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Did John Collins and Paul Kane come on as subs in the Swansea game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did John Collins and Paul Kane come on as subs in the Swansea game?

Kano did make his debut and Willie Irvine #1 scored his first goal for HIBS

JC was 1985/86

Swansea were decent with 11 internationals Dai Davies Ray Kennedy Robbie James Bob Latchford and John Mahoney to name a few

Gogs Rae had a goal disallowed
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 13-01-2021 at 11:31 PM.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Was in the father and son section of the main stand. Swansea were a good team, sure that Toshack was the manager

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Kano did made his debut and Willie Irvine #1 scored his first goal for HIBS

JC was 1985/86

Swansea were decent with 11 internationals Dai Davies Ray Kennedy Robbie James Bob Latchford and John Mahoney to name a few

Gogs Rae had a goal disallowed
    Pretty sure JC made his debut as a 16 year old in a friendly v Man City (think it was a 0-0 draw).

[QUOTE=SideBurns;6419778]Pretty sure JC made his debut as a 16 year old in a friendly v Man City (think it was a 0-0 draw).[/QUOTE
    👍🏿

3/8/1984
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 13-01-2021 at 11:47 PM.

He played for Celts and in a game at Easter Road let in three goals against Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Made his debut 27/11/1982 after signing from Jags for 60k in a 2-3 loss versus Celtic at home

The Swansea game was on 17/2/1983 a 1-0 win at Easter Road

Might be wrong but I attended the Celtic game and was excited at our new signing

Both HIBS goals scored by Simon Murray’s dad

Frank McGarvey 2 and Paul McStay for Celtic
    Was Gary Murray Simon Murrays dad? I remember Bertie Auld saying that he would be a superstar after he scored the winner in a game against Celtic - it's a shame that didn't work out, but I remember him being great for a short spell then just sort of disappearing.

But anyway, Alan Rough - what a player. Impossible to choose between him, Leighton and Goram - an unbelievable run of great keepers. I loved them all, and all of them would be in the best 10 players I've ever seen playing for Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    Was Gary Murray Simon Murrays dad? I remember Bertie Auld saying that he would be a superstar after he scored the winner in a game against Celtic - it's a shame that didn't work out, but I remember him being great for a short spell then just sort of disappearing.

But anyway, Alan Rough - what a player. Impossible to choose between him, Leighton and Goram - an unbelievable run of great keepers. I loved them all, and all of them would be in the best 10 players I've ever seen playing for Hibs.

My granny was the postie in Gifford where Roughie stayed while at Hibs. She asked him to get me a Hibs mug for Christmas from the old shop underneath the stand, and he did; for that reason, he's my 2nd favourite Hibs goalie (behind Conrad 😁)

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    My granny was the postie in Gifford where Roughie stayed while at Hibs. She asked him to get me a Hibs mug for Christmas from the old shop underneath the stand, and he did; for that reason, he's my 2nd favourite Hibs goalie (behind Conrad 😁)
    Hope he never dropped it

He used to pop in for an occasional pint to the Tyneside in Haddington, he admitted to dropping six eggs in Gifford Store.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

Still is

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Sports a natty collar and tie/V Neck Pringle combo for the official unveiling. Not a ripped jean, tattoo or white trainer in sight.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Sports a natty collar and tie/V Neck Pringle combo for the official unveiling. Not a ripped jean, tattoo or white trainer in sight.
    A very well turned out man. The barber I used to go to in Musselburgh High Street had several photos of him on the walls (he had a sports shop in the town at the time) in a 'modelling a hairstyle' type fashion. I often wondered if anyone ever asked for a Roughie do. Never heard anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    A very well turned out man. The barber I used to go to in Musselburgh High Street had several photos of him on the walls (he had a sports shop in the town at the time) in a 'modelling a hairstyle' type fashion. I often wondered if anyone ever asked for a Roughie do. Never heard anyone.
    I'm certain that nobody ever requested a 1978 Roughie do

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Hope he never dropped it

He used to pop in for an occasional pint to the Tyneside in Haddington, he admitted to dropping six eggs in Gifford Store.
    😄 to be fair to Roughie, eggs are the wrong shape for him. The Tyneside is a nice wee pub, hope it can open its doors again soon...

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector Mudflap View Post
    Not sure if this has been asked before but in my old head I was convinced that Alan Roughs first game for Hibs was a night game against Swansea at ER- some sort of friendly quickly arranged and it was a horrible misty midweek night. I have no idea if I am just confused as the stats all say it was Celtic and we lost 3-2. Can anyone shed any light?
    I have a photo somewhere taken from the top of the terracing that night. Through the mist you can just make out Roughie palming down a pass back. It was a Friday night. Must dig it out. It’s a hellish quality!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    The signing of Alan Rough was a huge signing for Hibs at that time. He already had 51 full international caps but didn’t add too many more to that whilst at Hibs where he claims to have been at the best of his career.

I was in Cardiff 10/9/1985 for the World Cup match versus Wales

At half-time when the teams came back on to the pitch I was in the rammed Scotland end behind the goals

I spotted Roughie coming out so I started singing “ Scotland’s #1” as he was with HIBS then

Everyone wondered what I was on but he had replaced Jim Leighton who had lost a contact lens and he was about to play in the biggest game of his Scotland career

I think he won 2 Scotland caps whilst at HIBS

Pretty sure he has a soft spot for us

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Hope he never dropped it

Never realised he stayed in Gifford back then
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I have a photo somewhere taken from the top of the terracing that night. Through the mist you can just make out Roughie palming down a pass back. It was a Friday night. Must dig it out. It’s a hellish quality!
    Try find that, would love to see it
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    He played for Celts and in a game at Easter Road let in three goals against Hibs.
    Remember that. 3-1. Steve Archibald got two of them. Just found the highlights here. Liked Roughie, he was great for Hibs.

https://youtu.be/aqFqi-RAzWU
    Last edited by Baader; 14-01-2021 at 12:33 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Remember that. 3-1. Steve Archibald got two of them. Just found the highlights here. Liked Roughie, he was great for Hibs.

https://youtu.be/aqFqi-RAzWU

had forgotten about that game - was a good watch that. Thanks for sharing

100 percent. I had been going with my dad to the main stand and was used to him shouting the odds at Mcarthur so when Alan Rough signed it was like Christmas. He is still up there with Leighton for me. The two are my favourites. I met Leighton at an Oil and Gas show in Aberdeen and he said that his time at Hibs was the happiest of his career. Funny thing I used to deliver rolls around the estate in Kirkcaldy where Mcarthur stayed - never bought a single one - git.

100 percent. I had been going with my dad to the main stand and was used to him shouting the odds at Mcarthur so when Alan Rough signed it was like Christmas. He is still up there with Leighton for me. The two are my favourites. I met Leighton at an Oil and Gas show in Aberdeen and he said that his time at Hibs was the happiest of his career. Funny thing I used to deliver rolls around the estate in Kirkcaldy where Mcarthur stayed - never bought a single one - git.
    LOL. He was a step up from Jim McArthur (who was pretty good) and Mike McDonald (who was .............).

Just a pity that Rough played in such a poor team.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I’ll do my best. You’ll be disappointed!

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Leighton maintains he played the best football of his career at Hibs, which is quite something given how good he was for Aberdeen. He was outstanding for Hibs. I read an article where he said he loves the club. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Here you go Sean, they’re not great, taken with a ‘box brownie’! And it was a foggy night.
    Roughie is unmistakeable and the other is the Hibs goal. I think we see Arthur Duncan in there,
    a bit of Bobby Thomson and it could be Graham Harvey with his back to us.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    😄 to be fair to Roughie, eggs are the wrong shape for him. The Tyneside is a nice wee pub, hope it can open its doors again soon...
    The Tyneside in Haddington is my local.

Know it is one of the minor negatives about the lockdown but I'm missing going out for a pint just now. The Tyneside has roaring real fire during the winter and is a haven for a cracking pint and watching a big game.