hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He threw money at the "SFA staying at Hampden" project because he couldn't stand the thought of the national stadium being anywhere but Glasgow. Despite the Murrayfield presentation and plan being better than the QP one, it remained in Glasgow.......I suspect that QP going professional with lots of his dosh was part of the deal, although I am sure that won't be the official reason.
    Thanks for the replies green day, I've got a better understanding of what happened now.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy King View Post
    After overseeing the amazing turnaround in our club over the past 6 years I am very surprised she has not ended up at a Premiership club in England or one of the ugly sisters. Thought she would have been a shoe-in for the Mordor Job. A more than capable business leader and I fully expect Queens park to progress through the Leagues to the SPL with her guidance. All the best Leanne.

How does that work ? She would have to attract huge amounts of investment in order to afford a team that is eventually good enough to achieve promotions.

I can't think why QP would be attractive to anyone who would not have already thought of investing in the other lower league teams.

A really tough job for her here: I will be keen to see how she does.

Maybe she thought it was QPR she applied to...

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    How does that work ? She would have to attract huge amounts of investment in order to afford a team that is eventually good enough to achieve promotions.

I can't think why QP would be attractive to anyone who would not have already thought of investing in the other lower league teams.

They are already full time this season, the only one in League 2, and running away with it

#

Think they'll get promoted this year ok.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    They'd have to either rent it from or buy it back off the SFA if they wanted to play there. Not sure what their long term plans are if they go up the leagues. The current plan for Lesser Hampden is to build two stands with a total capacity of around 1700.
    I saw that they were going to be playing at lesser Hampden (surely they’ll change that name) but unless there’s scope for developing that into something bigger it won’t be big enough if they manage to come up through the leagues. Good luck to them, but I struggle to see where the fans will come from.

United we stand here....

They sold Hampden to the SFA, that must have made them a few quid.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I saw that they were going to be playing at lesser Hampden (surely they’ll change that name) but unless there’s scope for developing that into something bigger it won’t be big enough if they manage to come up through the leagues. Good luck to them, but I struggle to see where the fans will come from.
    Probably be a sponsors name, which they’ll get away with in these times

Getting new fans in is difficult at the best of times, but after a pandemic going to be even harder
    I wish them good luck, as Scotland’s oldest Football Club

To me, she’s gone there with fresh eyes and the intentions of building something. And I see nothing wrong in that. I have nothing but luck and good faith for her.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I just can’t see where the support base is coming from unfortunately
    Got shades of Gretna about it.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

Or maybe she’s getting a bit of a silly wage for what will be undoubtedly be an easier gig?

For one thing she won’t have many (any!) fans to keep happy!

The she probably has a budget to match most or all teams in their league for a year or two and a clear path of some fundamental building blocks to put in place.

Should be a bit of a skoosh for her after the basket case she found when taking over at ER!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Probably be a sponsors name, which they’ll get away with in these times

Getting new fans in is difficult at the best of times, but after a pandemic going to be even harder
    I wish them good luck, as Scotland’s oldest Football Club
    I was just thinking about it and if they managed to get to the premiership and rented Hampden they could realistically end up with 4 30-40k attendances each season, add that to the fact that their local area has lots of other teams, they could probably do quite well. It would take them a good while to build up their own fan base though. Maybe they’ll move to another town and try and make a go of it there. Somewhere like East Kilbride has been crying out for a team for a long time.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Got shades of Gretna about it.
    I’m not sure it is, QP have been around since 1867, and Haughey is a really successful businessman worth over £200m

You can pump all the money in you want, but you need to see progress on and off the park.

Maybe sees them as a club that can work with Celtic

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Didn't Haughey also pump money into Livingston at one point? Or am I thinking about someone else?

Coaching Staff
    I think she did good things here initially. The timing did coincide with a clear out of the coaching and playing staff that would have had to happen anyway but she did make the decision on Butcher.

The cup win transformed the club. That’s the fine line. Minutes away from being in deep, deep trouble from that point.

I don’t actually think as a club we took advantage nearly enough of that win. Commercially we were very slow to take advantage. The support were ready to hand over cash on all sorts of stuff but it didn’t really happen.

After that, not really sure that the sponsorship and commercial side has been good enough. The whole Famous Five NHS thing is a mystery that still hasn’t really been spoken about. Hecky was just never a fit for the club. Wasn’t sure about how the Lennon thing was managed.

So I think overall good but a lot of things that could and should have been done much better. I haven’t mentioned loyalty points yet!

The focus on community is fine but football has to be the focus. I think at QP it is probably more a community engagement and marketing job which will suit her strengths.

I’m hopeful we will move on with a new focus on making the most of what we have commercially to support what goes on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Thankyou and good luck to Leanne - I cannot recall any CEO or similar having anything like the positive influence she has had at Hibs in all my years. Her successor will have some big shoes to fill but will also take over a football club in an infinitely better position than when she came in. Of course she can't claim all the credit for everything - but has played a massive and significant part in the improvements at Hibs and no question about it.
    Size 6 😉

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I think she did good things here initially. The timing did coincide with a clear out of the coaching and playing staff that would have had to happen anyway but she did make the decision on Butcher.

The cup win transformed the club. That’s the fine line. Minutes away from being in deep, deep trouble from that point.

I don’t actually think as a club we took advantage nearly enough of that win. Commercially we were very slow to take advantage. The support were ready to hand over cash on all sorts of stuff but it didn’t really happen.

After that, not really sure that the sponsorship and commercial side has been good enough. The whole Famous Five NHS thing is a mystery that still hasn’t really been spoken about. Hecky was just never a fit for the club. Wasn’t sure about how the Lennon thing was managed.

So I think overall good but a lot of things that could and should have been done much better. I haven’t mentioned loyalty points yet!

The focus on community is fine but football has to be the focus. I think at QP it is probably more a community engagement and marketing job which will suit her strengths.

I’m hopeful we will move on with a new focus on making the most of what we have commercially to support what goes on the pitch.

All fair points. My view as an outsider is that maybe Leeann wasn’t challenged enough on some of her plans. Some appointments such as Laura Montgomerie didn’t help.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Would they end up using Hampden again if they ended up in the premiership? That tiny wee stadium they’re building won’t be big enough.

They're never going to build a fan base large enough to test that out, and I honestly doubt they'll ever be in the premiership.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Queens Park? Surely they won't be paying her as much? Strange move.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Queens Park? Surely they won't be paying her as much? Strange move.
    Maybe it was a case of jump before pushed? Perhaps pushed is not the correct word but she would have known herself whether she was part of Ron's long term plans and maybe decided a role closer to home and continued employment was the best option.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Maybe it was a case of jump before pushed? Perhaps pushed is not the correct word but she would have known herself whether she was part of Ron's long term plans and maybe decided a role closer to home and continued employment was the best option.
    Yeah, perhaps there is more to it. It's a surprise, though.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    Can someone tell me why Laura Montgomery is deemed a bad appointment by some Hibs fans? She formed and grew the biggest club in Scottish women’s football. I’m not sure she did anything to get abuse on here?

Also how is Wullie Haughey also in the firing line? He’s supported lots of Scottish businesses and given millions out to charities and other organisations whilst at the same time running a successful Scottish business. So again what’s he done to become a hate figure?

LD has done a good job but has moved on Queens Park will be nothing more than a community club but maybe that’s what LD wants to be involved in

Quote Originally Posted by EdinMike View Post
    To me, she’s gone there with fresh eyes and the intentions of building something. And I see nothing wrong in that. I have nothing but luck and good faith for her.
    I agree she has gone there to build something.
    She has earned her money and her pension is pretty sorted as well.

She likes a project. Motherwell and Hibs fell into that category and she did well at both.
    I reckon she will work to develop the QP brand, fan base and community engagement and will stay there until they are an established Championship team.
    That is where a full time team belongs.

Re fan base, if she works smartly a lot of football lovers might like to get onboard and enjoy the ride through the leagues in the post pandemic world.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    I agree she has gone there to build something.
    She has earned her money and her pension is pretty sorted as well.

She likes a project. Motherwell and Hibs fell into that category and she did well at both.
    I reckon she will work to develop the QP brand, fan base and community engagement and will stay there until they are an established Championship team.
    That is where a full time team belongs.

Re fan base, if she works smartly a lot of football lovers might like to get onboard and enjoy the ride through the leagues in the post pandemic world.
    I think she will have a future role in the SFA.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Can someone tell me why Laura Montgomery is deemed a bad appointment by some Hibs fans? She formed and grew the biggest club in Scottish women’s football. I’m not sure she did anything to get abuse on here?

Also how is Wullie Haughey also in the firing line? He’s supported lots of Scottish businesses and given millions out to charities and other organisations whilst at the same time running a successful Scottish business. So again what’s he done to become a hate figure?

LD has done a good job but has moved on Queens Park will be nothing more than a community club but maybe that’s what LD wants to be involved in
    You’ve missed the boat on Laura Montgomery. Done to death a month or so ago. She was hardly abused on here though, just people highlighting that wasn’t that well qualified for, or successful at her job at Hibs.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 14-01-2021 at 05:18 PM.

Coaching Staff

Montgomery might have helped grow a football team but that team wasn’t Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    I think she will have a future role in the SFA.
    SFA or Rangers for her next

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I think Queens park is a very interesting project. They certainly could have a place to play at community level something that leeann excels in. Historically there could be a lot of interest in a revived Queens Park, Im not talking about challenging the OF but they could find their niche. They were effectively Scottish football for the first couple of decades of Scottish football history, the Scottish team to this day play in the blue shirts from the first international against England when Scotlands team was entirely made up of Queens Park players and used Queens Parks jerseys to play the game (blue in those days not the now famous black and white spider hoops), this sort of thing could well appeal to a good many. Good luck to her and the Spiders I say, I'd be surprised if they werent a Championship side in the next 3 or 4 seasons.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Laura doesn’t get abuse on here.

I am one of the people who questioned her appointment though, and I still do. She’s clearly devoted to Glasgow City and should have remained 100% focused on them. Hibs were that clubs only real challenger and she was working for both clubs. It was a clear conflict of interest.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Laura doesn’t get abuse on here.

I am one of the people who questioned her appointment though, and I still do. She’s clearly devoted to Glasgow City and should have remained 100% focused on them. Hibs were that clubs only real challenger and she was working for both clubs. It was a clear conflict of interest.
    Working in the Hibs commercial department for our male team surely has no conflict with being involved in woman’s football else’s where?

People talking about fanbase, QP have a similar if not slightly bigger fanbase than Hamilton. They’d easily be able to get a thousand home fans through the gate in the top flight which seems to be enough for Accies and Livi to survive on