hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Management of Scottish Footbal

Yesterday's events highlighted the lack of leadership and organisation in the hierarchy of the Scottish game. The game has had think tank after think tank and what has been achieved, zilch. The organisation of the bodies is old fashioned and outdated and there is too much duplication. These organisations are for the benefit of the clubs not for the benefit of the people who are employed or serve on committees. I thought that Rod Petrie would make a difference but he has become the invisible man.
    The system is broken and needs fixed. The clubs in the lower leagues must be raging at what happened yesterday. Just seen in the news that the compliance officer is looking now at pictures of Celtic players on their trip. These pictures were in the public domain last week.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 12-01-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yesterday's events highlighted the lack of leadership and organisation in the hierarchy of the Scottish game. The game has had think tank after think tank and what has been achieved, zilch. The organisation of the bodies is old fashioned and outdated and there is too much duplication. These organisations are for the benefit of the clubs not for the benefit of the people who are employed or serve on committees. I thought that Rod Petrie would make a difference but he has become the invisible man.
    The system is broken and need fixed. The clubs in the lower leagues must be raging at what happened yesterday. Just seen in the news that the compliance officer is looking now at pictures of Celtic players on their trip. These pictures were in the public domain last week.
    I'll no doubt get pelters for this but I disagree.

The authorities (civil & football alike) maybe didn't act quickly enough to change the rules and prevent Celtic from travelling, but Celtic themselves exploited a loophole to enable their trip to go ahead and have rightly been criticised by everyone.

But yesterday wasn't a shambles. Protocols were followed and Celtic had to isolate 13 players.

Where's the shambles?

As for the SPFL & SFA, that's a whole different subject.

However the SPFL is run by the clubs, for the clubs.

Now isn't the time for either to make wholesale changes with the very future of the game as we know it in doubt.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    But yesterday wasn't a shambles. Protocols were followed and Celtic had to isolate 13 players.

Where's the shambles?
    You were saying this yesterday and I really struggle to see where you're coming from with your point of view. As per protocols, Celtic had to isolate 13 players but we know that all Celtic players did not follow protocol whilst in Dubai. This could put fair doubt on the following process of determining who should be isolating or who may be incubating. The fact that Ian Maxwell has confirmed that pictures of the squad in Dubai are being investigated shows that the SFA/SPFL know that protocols weren't followed by Celtic either.

Add to that the assistant manager seemingly having no idea on whether Duffy was eligible to play or not shows a lack of understanding of protocol as well.

If Celtic were to have had another round of testing on the morning of the game then that may have put one clubs mind at rest, and would be more likely to result in a fair contest. As it was when it should have been the club who didn't follow protocol who should have been punished, we were held to ransom to play the game under penalty of points deductions and fines whilst clearly not comfortable in doing so.

Failure after failure after failure of common sense. It should have been made clear that a training camp to Dubai was a stupid idea when Celtic reached out, then someone at Celtic should have cancelled the trip, then the players should have not been in a position where they could have a bevvy and break protocol, then when we requested further testing it should have been agreed considering that we know there was reasonable doubt on how much protocol had or had not been followed.

We were treated absolutely abysmally last night and if one of our players contracts COVID from playing last nights game we should take legal action against those responsible immediately.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 12-01-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    You were saying this yesterday and I really struggle to see where you're coming from with your point of view. As per protocols, Celtic had to isolate 13 players but we know that all Celtic players did not follow protocol whilst in Dubai. This could put fair doubt on the following process of determining who should be isolating or who may be incubating. The fact that Ian Maxwell has confirmed that pictures of the squad in Dubai are being investigated shows that the SFA/SPFL know that protocols weren't followed by Celtic either.
    As I suggested yesterday, the very fact that Celtic had to sideline 13 players is surely a result of breaches of protocol, otherwise there wouldn't have been so many close contacts.

Add to that the assistant manager seemingly having no idea on whether Duffy was eligible to play or not shows a lack of understanding of protocol as well.
    That's his problem, not the authorities.

If Celtic were to have had another round of testing on the morning of the game then that may have put one clubs mind at rest, and would be more likely to result in a fair contest. As it was when it should have been the club who didn't follow protocol who should have been punished, we were held to ransom to play the game under penalty of points deductions and fines whilst clearly not comfortable in doing so.
    Apparently the experts said that another round of testing was of no use/interest. Do you know better than them?

As for Hibs being "held to ransom", that's nonsense. It was decided that the game was to go ahead and Hibs had to comply.

Failure after failure after failure of common sense. It should have been made clear that a training camp to Dubai was a stupid idea when Celtic reached out, then someone at Celtic should have cancelled the trip, then the players should have not been in a position where they could have a bevvy and break protocol, then when we requested further testing it should have been agreed considering that we know there was reasonable doubt on how much protocol had or had not been followed.

We were treated absolutely abysmally last night and if one of our players contracts COVID from playing last nights game we should take legal action against the SPFL immediately.
    I still don't get this abysmal treatment. What was it?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

As for Hibs being "held to ransom", that's nonsense. It was decided that the game was to go ahead and Hibs had to comply.

I still don't get this abysmal treatment. What was it?
    We were not comfortable playing the game considering that opposition players had shared a plane home with someone who was positive and incubation periods may still be in place. If we were comfortable there would have been none of the pantomime that unfolded last night. When it comes to the safety of our employees, we are required to take all precautions to ensure that they are in a safe working environment and as such, the request for a further round of testing to ensure that the virus had not spread further round the opposition players on that aeroplane was reasonable. You also must remember that we're now dealing with a new strain of the virus that we are still learning about, and one thing we do know is that it is far more easily transmitted.

As for "As for Hibs being "held to ransom", that's nonsense. It was decided that the game was to go ahead and Hibs had to comply.", you've proven my point for me. We had to comply at the risk of sanctions and penalties even though we had not been given a satisfactory answer to our request of testing which was one of our requests to safeguard our staff.

I'm baffled that a Hibs fan can look at that last night and go "that was proper good that, we've been put right in our place". First we are asked to reschedule the game to a Monday night so another team can go for a wee bevvy and a bit of running around in Dubai and we were overruled. We then asked for an additional round of testing to allow us to play that game in the confidence that our staff would be safe, and that was rejected. If someone was to look at that and go "Yep, Hibs were treated as they should be" then I'd be amazed to hear they were a Hibby.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

We were not comfortable playing the game considering that opposition players had shared a plane home with someone who was positive and incubation periods may still be in place. If we were comfortable there would have been none of the pantomime that unfolded last night. When it comes to the safety of our employees, we are required to take all precautions to ensure that they are in a safe working environment and as such, the request for a further round of testing to ensure that the virus had not spread further round the opposition players on that aeroplane was reasonable. You also must remember that we're now dealing with a new strain of the virus that we are still learning about, and one thing we do know is that it is far more easily transmitted.
    Not according to Jack Ross - “Players are fairly robust but they will take on board what their loved ones say. There is not one single player who stepped off the bus feeling anxious about playing, though.”

As for "As for Hibs being "held to ransom", that's nonsense. It was decided that the game was to go ahead and Hibs had to comply.", you've proven my point for me. We had to comply at the risk of sanctions and penalties even though we had not been given a satisfactory answer to our request of testing which was one of our requests to safeguard our staff.
    Again you seel to be of a different opinion to our manager.

"The club had asked for the Celtic players who would be playing to undergo additional testing but their request was rejected. Ross said that was disappointing but had no impact on his team’s performance.

“Those in charge of the medical aspect, after we had it explained, said it wouldn’t make any difference. But we have a right to look after our players and staff. Current circumstances make people more anxious.

“It didn’t affect our preparations. We just faced a different team to what we’ve prepared for.”

I'm baffled that a Hibs fan can look at that last night and go "that was proper good that, we've been put right in our place". First we are asked to reschedule the game to a Monday night so another team can go for a wee bevvy and a bit of running around in Dubai and we were overruled. We then asked for an additional round of testing to allow us to play that game in the confidence that our staff would be safe, and that was rejected. If someone was to look at that and go "Yep, Hibs were treated as they should be" then I'd be amazed to hear they were a Hibby.
    Yeah, that's exactly how I see things right enough.

According to Leanne Dempster we weren’t even asked to reschedule the game to the Monday. We were told after the authorities had agreed to Celtic’s request.

I'll no doubt get pelters for this but I disagree.

The authorities (civil & football alike) maybe didn't act quickly enough to change the rules and prevent Celtic from travelling, but Celtic themselves exploited a loophole to enable their trip to go ahead and have rightly been criticised by everyone.

Where's the shambles?

As for the SPFL & SFA, that's a whole different subject.

However the SPFL is run by the clubs, for the clubs.

Now isn't the time for either to make wholesale changes with the very future of the game as we know it in doubt.
    My point in the post is why we have three different bodies running Scottish football when one will do. I agree that Celtic exploited loopholes and probably conformed to all protocols Hibs were refused a reasonable request as it was not necessary under the CURRENT protocols.

You said as for the SPFL and SFA thats a whole different subject please elaborate.

The organisation of the game in Scotland has been discussed for years. I agree that this is not the time to now but it needs to be put on the table.

My concerns are not for the"elite" clubs but the lower league clubs.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 12-01-2021 at 12:26 PM.

My point in the post is why we have three different bodies running Scottish football when one will do. I agree that Celtic exploited loopholes and probably conformed to all protocols Hibs were refused a reasonable request as it was not necessary under the CURRENT protocols.

You said as for the SPFL and SFA thats a whole different subject please elaborate.
    SFA & SPFL - who's the 3rd?

The SPFL is a private company that the clubs themselves decided to set up. The SFA govern the game in Scotland. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The organisation of the game in Scotland has been discussed for years. I agree that this is not the time to now but it needs to be put on the table.
    The current set-up has only been in place since 2013.

SFA & SPFL - who's the 3rd?

The SPFL is a private company that the clubs themselves decided to set up. The SFA govern the game in Scotland. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The current set-up has only been in place since 2013.
    I was including the juniors as the third body.

I was including the juniors as the third body.
    As far as I know the Juniors are separate by choice - I've no idea why.

@hibs.net private member
    As soon as the clubs agree with the OP then they can vote for change.

Ultimately, any body running the league / game is going to suffer from the outsized economic and political power of the Old Firm.

Had it been any of the other 10 clubs that had nipped abroad, came back with a case and half their team in isolation, they’d have had the book thrown at them.

I assume the league just lack the balls to do that to Celtic. In the moment it certainly seems like a lot of the Celtic support was as outraged by their clubs activities, but whether that would have continued if their slim title hopes had been extinguished by a 3-0 win awarded to us is another question.

I’m not sure what reforms or appointments you could make to change that reality, as the sway the Old Firm has over all aspects of Scottish football; media, pundits, finance, jobs etc will all remain. We saw some elements of the media trying to position Hibs as the villain for ***** sake, when it looked like the game might not happen.

Left by mutual consent!
    Scottish football is corrupt. Celtic are above the law. That was shown yesterday. It's outrageous. But, its not helped by the way clubs voted to end last season, that was the opportunity to move away from the short term mentality of smaller clubs living off 4/5 clubs to a 16/18 team league playing each other twice, spreading the revenue therefor ensuring the futures of more clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Scottish football is corrupt. Celtic are above the law. That was shown yesterday. It's outrageous. But, its not helped by the way clubs voted to end last season, that was the opportunity to move away from the short term mentality of smaller clubs living off 4/5 clubs to a 16/18 team league playing each other twice, spreading the revenue therefor ensuring the futures of more clubs.
    In what way?

Left by mutual consent!
    In what way?
    Where to begin? How Celtic won the league last season for a start.

Hibs not being consulted with the Celtic game being moved to last night and then being told they'd be punished if they didn't fulfil the fixture after having safety concerns with Celtics situation.

Add to that how they were treated with the player that played against Kilmarnock compared to St Mirren and Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Where to begin? How Celtic won the league last season for a start.

Hibs not being consulted with the Celtic game being moved to last night and then being told they'd be punished if they didn't fulfil the fixture after having safety concerns with Celtics situation.

Add to that how they were treated with the player that played against Kilmarnock compared to St Mirren and Hamilton.
    Deleted.

You said "Celtic are above the law. That was shown yesterday."

Last season's league title has nothing to do with yesterday.

Under the rules that are in place, if Hibs hadn't played last night we would rightly have been sanctioned. There's no mechanism to do otherwise.

As for Kille & St Mirren, they weren't able to play their matches. Celtic were. There's a huge difference.

You can't just cherry pick rules to suit yourself.

Anyway, what's your other .net username again?
    Last edited by BroxburnHibee; 12-01-2021 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Keep it civil please

Left by mutual consent!
    Deleted

Under the rules that are in place, if Hibs hadn't played last night we would rightly have been sanctioned. There's no mechanism to do otherwise.

As for Kille & St Mirren, they weren't able to play their matches. Celtic were. There's a huge difference.

Another friendly post.
    Last edited by BroxburnHibee; 12-01-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Deleted.

Celtic admitted to breaches of protocol when over in Dubai, pictures showed no social distancing and mingling with the public when over there. The fact 13 had to self isolate tells me that there would be serious doubts over the rest. The fact the SPFL were willing to potentially sacrifice the betfred cup semi final just so Celtic didn’t partake in an extra bout of testing tells me there was worries about what that testing might tell us. The fact Hibs went public with their concerns, and also the fact that Jack Ross admitted he spent hours pre game in calls and meetings rather than preparing his team says it was far from ideal and should’ve been dealt with far better and swifter.

Heard from a friend today that Sportsound tried to get Doncaster but he was unavailable for comment.
    WTF, on his salary.
    Get rid of this clown

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    What more needs to happen for folks to say enough is enough and clear the decks?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

My understanding is that when the players are on the pitch either playing or training then the 2 metre rule isn't enforced.
    When you see the subs sitting in the stands they are normally well socially distanced from each other.
    Having seen pictures from Dubai on social media how were they allowed to sit 2 to a sunbed?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by telford hibbee View Post
    My understanding is that when the players are on the pitch either playing or training then the 2 metre rule isn't enforced.
    When you see the subs sitting in the stands they are normally well socially distanced from each other.
    Having seen pictures from Dubai on social media how were they allowed to sit 2 to a sunbed?
    Yeah when we are talking about breaches of protocols what we are saying is that when not training or playing the usual social distancing should be adhered to.

In terms of the pictures, I’m not sure Id like to see evidence of what our own players are doing in their own time, particularly with each other. I think given they are all testing regularly and training and playing together then they may feel, wrongly of course in terms of the guidance, that they are in company that they know is safe.

I saw a couple of players from a team I won’t name Christmas shopping together. I know they don’t live together and they weren’t distanced. It will be happening everywhere unfortunately.

The system is broken and needs fixed. The clubs in the lower leagues must be raging at what happened yesterday. Just seen in the news that the compliance officer is looking now at pictures of Celtic players on their trip. These pictures were in the public domain last week.
    I don't think it's very well run [anyone remember the Ernie Walker / Jim Farry initiative about 30yrs ago that was supposed to look at the future of Scottish football but never produced anything?] but the recent fiasco is down to the decision of one club to have a wee holiday in Dubai (though it was facilitated by decision to change the date of their next fixture). Whilst the trip may have met the letter of the rules it didn't meet the spirit of the rules.

In my opinion, Scottish Football is in transition from being run in the interests of 1 club [Celtic] to 2 clubs [The Rangers and Celtic]. The various alphabets involved in running the game missed their opportunity to change things after Rangers were liquidated and Sevco were granted a place in League 2.
    Sadly I don't expect anything to change for the better.
    Last edited by Is It On....; 13-01-2021 at 02:41 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    I Have heard Celtic fans claim it’s an anti catholic conspiracy that’s taking place as the Scottish establishment don’t want 10 in a row. Some people just need to step back from this and just say it’s been a PR disaster and as a club they ****ed up. It’s nothing to do with religion it’s about Celtic believing they were right to choose to go or not

Turns out clubs had absolutely no right of questioning at today’s meeting, 2 days after 20 clubs were told to stop all training and games they can’t question it. Clubs still haven’t received money from government, no right of questioning. Potential for season ending early, no right of questioning.

Couple that with yet another game called off on a 4G tonight, needs to be a rethink on the rules around them, they’re gaining a financial advantage while not putting procedures in place in regards heating or drainage.

I wonder what the reasoning is behind suspending games in L1 and 2 and not the Championship??

Is it because Budge and co are playing in that league?

I suspect there will be call off’s in the Championship before long! With them only 10 games in, is there really any point in continuing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    I wonder what the reasoning is behind suspending games in L1 and 2 and not the Championship??

Is it because Budge and co are playing in that league?

I suspect there will be call off’s in the Championship before long! With them only 10 games in, is there really any point in continuing??

They are getting £500k each in payouts, lower leagues £150k
    Testing costing £40k per month, no idea how accurate that figure is

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55665247

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post

Cheers Billy!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post

I think that £40,000 is for the rest of the season... Roughly £75 a test. Most Championship squads will be significantly smaller than Hearts'.