hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How far can jack ross take us?

This is in no way a dig at ross as I think on the whole we’ve done well under him.

However, how far can people believe he can take us? I think 4th/5th will be the ceiling as I think we struggle in big games.

His results against the rest though are (usually) very good and seems to be building a settled side.

The style is one thing that concerns me, but I think a few more transfer windows and we may play a lot more positively?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Think you are correct in saying he needs a few more transfer windows. If his future recruitment is as good as it has been so far, think we will be consistently challenging for at least 3rd & have good, solid cup runs & with a wee bit luck in the draws who knows.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    We need players. Being linked with Cadden and Irvine is a strong start to the window.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    All the way baby. All the way.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Jack Rossi’s a more than competent manager and through time is capable of building a side which can regularly be up challenging at the top end of table. Derek McInnes has had time to gel together a strong Aberdeen and I can see Jack Ross doing similar. The downside is that like Aberdeen, it might not be swashbuckling football, but for us that kind of all out open and attacking style always carries the risk of losing games when we don’t quite click.

Jack Ross is a safe pair of hands who adopts a bit more of a pragmatic approach than some of our previous managers with the players at our disposal. By adding the right kind of player we can certainly improve and become more attractive. I don’t actually think it’s that shabby at the moment and it’s a decent platform to build on.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

However, how far can people believe he can take us? I think 4th/5th will be the ceiling as I think we struggle in big games.
    A lot of Hibs fans desperate to give him a reputation as not doing it in big games.. We're our own worst enemy at times.

We compete well and positively in every game we play under Jack Ross except when the players under-perform.

Being 3rd is effectively winning the league for Hibs - we can do that under him and also do well in Cups which we have done so far.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Been 14 months in the job, though there were three months where he couldn’t work with the players at all. He has improved us, and in that context, quite quickly really.

In 52 games he has a 50% win ratio, 27% loss. Not that many draws, which he was criticised for at Sunderland.

The semi final is an obvious disappointment, and unfortunately has forever tarnished him for a lot of our support. I don’t buy into the cautious, boring characterisation of him - though undoubtedly there have been some uninspiring performances, and a couple of truly awful ones just the other week. I do genuinely believe that he is trying to build an exciting team though.

He’s taken a risk with slimming the squad to pay for the quality of signing that we’ve gone for, and that’s caught up with us a bit over the busy Christmas schedule. I think more time, and more transfer windows will see us improve further.

We are where we deserve to be at the moment, and Aberdeen are not as far ahead of us in terms of quality as I though they were earlier in the season.

Pretty optimistic in terms of our future.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    A lot of Hibs fans desperate to give him a reputation as not doing it in big games.. We're our own worst enemy at times.

We compete well and positively in every game we play under Jack Ross except when the players under-perform.

Being 3rd is effectively winning the league for Hibs - we can do that under him and also do well in Cups which we have done so far.
    Correct, drew twice with Celtic should have won the first, drew with Rangers and ran them close second time and lets not forget we were were the better side against hearts and a missed penalty away from a final. Aberdeen games are the ones that disappoint me

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Been 14 months in the job, though there were three months where he couldn’t work with the players at all. He has improved us, and in that context, quite quickly really.

In 52 games he has a 50% win ratio, 27% loss. Not that many draws, which he was criticised for at Sunderland.

The semi final is an obvious disappointment, and unfortunately has forever tarnished him for a lot of our support. I don’t buy into the cautious, boring characterisation of him - though undoubtedly there have been some uninspiring performances, and a couple of truly awful ones just the other week. I do genuinely believe that he is trying to build an exciting team though.

He’s taken a risk with slimming the squad to pay for the quality of signing that we’ve gone for, and that’s caught up with us a bit over the busy Christmas schedule. I think more time, and more transfer windows will see us improve further.

We are where we deserve to be at the moment, and Aberdeen are not as far ahead of us in terms of quality as I though they were earlier in the season.

Pretty optimistic in terms of our future.
    100% agree Stevie. This is phase 1 of a longer term project and we are in a good place, couple more windows keep strengthening and lets see where it takes us.

I like Jack Ross, he comes across as a sound guy with his feet on the ground, but so did Pat Fenlon. This I think is the comparison Pat took us to cup finals and had some decent signings but ultimately failed. Jack ross I fear will go the same way. He is trying to get the best from players who simply don't have that little bit extra to win things. The problem with being a sound guy is that he is not cut throat enough to get rid of guys who won't elevate us to 3rd, to winning a trophy and to progressing in Europe.

I don't think he would be able to even if we had a budget on par with aberdeen. We should be on course to get 3rd and win the league cup this season, but it is far more likely that we will be 5th and win nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    I like Jack Ross, he comes across as a sound guy with his feet on the ground, but so did Pat Fenlon. This I think is the comparison Pat took us to cup finals and had some decent signings but ultimately failed. Jack ross I fear will go the same way. He is trying to get the best from players who simply don't have that little bit extra to win things. The problem with being a sound guy is that he is not cut throat enough to get rid of guys who won't elevate us to 3rd, to winning a trophy and to progressing in Europe.

I don't think he would be able to even if we had a budget on par with aberdeen. We should be on course to get 3rd and win the league cup this season, but it is far more likely that we will be 5th and win nothing.
    I'm sorry but that is an absolutely absurd post.

Fenlon had us (narrowly) avoid relegation and finish 7th in a Rangersless top flight. Ross has already surpassed that.

We’re 2 winnable games away from winning a trophy and well on course for getting into Europe. With those players... I’ve no doubt Ross is capable of moving players on when required and upgrading. It’s a long term project and we’ve took a huge leap in the right direction. Thankfully there’s no chance of our board making knee jerk decisions for the sake of it.

I’ve no doubt he will do for us what McInnes has done for Aberdeen.

Best outwith the old firm consistently.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar

the only thing that fenlon and ross have in common is that they are sound, and you're suggesting that reflects badly on ross

i don't think it was fenlon's soundness that lost him those two cup finals. the first one, our squad was hoaching with average midfielders and players with ability but didn't care enough. the second one, we were just a long way off being as good as that cellic team. fenlon's transfer skills were certainly not a strength of his. signing better players would have put us in a much better position, rather than if fenlon had just decided to be a mean ****.

also...why should we be on course to beat aberdeen to 3rd spot? i'm not saying we shouldn't be aiming for it, we absolutely should be, but suggesting that failure to achieve this is in itself an outright failure is just daft - long term, we need to build to the point that our resources match theirs, but when they keep nabbing our first choice transfer targets, it's no great shock that they are ahead of us in the league. this is my head speaking, not my heart, i should add - i'm gutted that we're not doing better, but we've got to be thinking long term, and i can't think of anyone realistic that i'd rather have than jack ross at the helm to do that.

How far can jack ross take us?

Dingwall

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

He’s earned that reputation himself. It’s not the fault of Hibs fans that he has a pretty bad record in big games. By all accounts he had that issue in his previous post as well.

I think 4th/5th will be his ceiling. Cant win enough against any of the other teams our size or bigger which will mean we can’t go any further. 4th would be a decent season this season, 5th would be a bit of a failure imo.

3rd and a cup win with a couple of rounds in Europe would be the best Ross, Guardiola or anyone could do. That would be a big ask for anyone.

If he finished 4th and won the league cup it would go down as one of the best seasons in our history.
    Last edited by Since452; 12-01-2021 at 06:01 AM.

Get rid of Jack Ross and risk another calderwood butcher or Fenlon. Sone people are fools

Totally agree, especially with the first sentence. We've taken points off the old firm 3 times this season and we were very unlucky not to do so at Ibrox recently. It's just a talking point that some fans want to repeat time after time despite the positive results. They are the 'big games' for a reason, because we are playing quality sides, of course we're going to lose a few of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Get rid of Jack Ross and risk another calderwood butcher or Fenlon. Sone people are fools
    You forgot to add in Heckingbottom!

I'm more than happy with Jack Ross.

If there's a fault with Hibs at the moment, it's because we've chosen to operate with such a small squad this season. I don't believe for a second that that is Jack Ross's wish. Getting rid of reasonable back up players (Murray, Jackson, Horgan, Stirling, Shaw etc) and replacing them with gap fillers/injured players has contributed to our poor displays.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    There may have been the odd post here and there although even then I can’t recall seeing one, but I don’t think anybody is really advocating getting rid of him

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    There may have been the odd post here and there although even then I can’t recall seeing one, but I don’t think anybody is really advocating getting rid of him
    There have been posts suggesting he is emptied. All of us who use this forum know that. Off the top of my head, I remember seeing a poster state that last night's result meant that his job is safe "for now", and then a fair amount suggesting that his time was up after the semi.

To be fair, I think a lot of it is bluster. Nobody ever mentions a credible alternative. I think he's doing fine.

The forum is full of people casting doubt on jack Ross. We are fourth FFS which hadn’t happened often. Why can’t we just get behind Ross and give him time to see where he takes us.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I think anyone who knows anything about football would say that a manager needs more than two transfer windows to build a side ( unless they are a total disaster).

Ross has the team heading in the right direction.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    When you think of how often we finish 4th or better, he's doing very well. Give the bloke time ffs, stop being unhappy at 4th place and give him time to build a better team that might challenge 3rd.

I don't know where this self entitlement has come from, why can't we enjoy the good times, as these are the good times.

Some people are only happy when we are struggling, and some even when we are not.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    He's got a great chance of leading us to major silverware in his first full season for us and getting us into Europe as well.

I'd say that would be classed as a remarkable and highly successful season in the context of our past 20-30 years.

Anyone (to be fair I don't think there are genuinely many at all right now) who wants Jack Ross out now simply has not a single clue about football or an ability to reflect/understand past trends.
    Last edited by The Spaceman; 12-01-2021 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    He's got a great chance of leading us to major silverware in his first full season for us and getting us into Europe as well.

I'd say that would be classed as a remarkable and highly successful season in the context of our past 20-30 years.

Anyone (to be fair I don't think there are genuinely many at all right now) who wants Jack Ross out now simply has not a single clue about football or an ability to reflect/understand past trends.
    If we win the cup and qualify for Europe then it’ll have been a great season.

However, past trends/reflection should have no bearing on where we should be going forward. Especially when we’ve underachieved for so long.

By that logic the Man City fans should just be happy with survival in the top tier each season.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    You can't give a manager a ceiling of 4th/5th when they're only going in to their third transfer window - and lets not forget the circumstances of the summer window as well, where we didn't know what football was going to look like in the near future - although we did make some really good signings in that window too.

With different players coming in styles will change and being linked with Irivine and Cadden is a good start. Irivine especially is the kind of signing we have been crying out for...you know, the same way that Gogic was the signing we were crying out for...

Aberdeen are where they are because they have given the manager time, and they have built themselves in to a strong 3rd placed team. They do it in a certain styles but maybe Mccinnes is being pragmatic? Not playing great football but winning games is not something I particularly want to see at Hibs, I'd rather do both, but being 4th in the circumstances, and still well in the hunt for 3rd is pretty good for me. If we get the signings right we will be able to get 3rd and maybe push Celtic for second.

I think given the circumstances Jack Ross is doing a decent job. 14ish months in the role and 9 months with a pandemic and huge cost cutting to deal with. We’re sitting 4th in the league and in another domestic semi final, which realistically would be a good season all things considered.

There’s been some critical of the style of play, especially at home, but I think with a few decent additions in the transfer window we’ll push on. We’re struggling to break teams down at Easter Road who sit in and try and play on the counter but our best creative player (Allan) has been unavailable for most of the season so far and Murphy/Boyle have contributed in fits and starts.

The ‘can’t do it in big games’ stuff is a bit tiresome to be honest - Jack Ross kept St Mirren up and then got them promoted and got Sunderland to Wembley twice, with a makeshift squad within a whisker of winning the play-offs in his only full season - were there not big games to be won to achieve those things?

We’ve had a couple of bad results at home in recent weeks and we need to find a way to get the better of Aberdeen in those games but I’ve got every faith Ross will be able to get us to that level.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    When you think of how often we finish 4th or better, he's doing very well. Give the bloke time ffs, stop being unhappy at 4th place and give him time to build a better team that might challenge 3rd.

I don't know where this self entitlement has come from, why can't we enjoy the good times, as these are the good times.

Some people are only happy when we are struggling, and some even when we are not.
    I wish the good times were more enjoyable, the football feels effective but sterile a lot of the time IMO.

I think Ross will leave good foundations for the next man and hopefully leave a cup legacy, I just hope the next man, whenever that is, is a bit more swashbuckling.