hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mallan

Mallan

Should be starting ahead of Hallberg. Always offers an outlet and is delivery can be top drawer.

I really like Mallan and think that with the confidence and aggression I'm starting to see, he could be a very useful player going forward.
    He is still young and is worth our support I think.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Made a difference for us when he came on. Has that bit of something special that can bring point winning moments, even if he's not going to go out and boss the midfield battle.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    I feel Mallan has a lot more impact when he comes off the bench and the other team are tiring. He had no effect whatsoever when he started against livi, mind you no-one did so I’m not singling him out for that.

Really think he gives us more when he comes off the bench though

I like him too but he often does not do enough of the dirty work to hold down a place hence Hallberg with half his talent gets in ahead of him.

@hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar
    I think he’d do well for the 90 with the right combination in the midfield. At the minute tho we don’t have someone who will cover him.

Sometimes I feel we were spoiled with John McGinn and we’ll not see the likes again but I reckon Mallan would be a stand out playing alongside him

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    A total enigma. Clearly has ability, I’d even go as far to say more ability than the majority of our squad but he just doesn’t show it nearly enough.

Done well tonight though.

Can't wait for Irvine to come in and hopefully blow both out the water, frankly.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Should be starting ahead of Hallberg. Always offers an outlet and is delivery can be top drawer.

I really like Mallan and think that with the confidence and aggression I'm starting to see, he could be a very useful player going forward.
    If we could get the Stevie Mallan we first signed back I would agree, sadly I think that ship has sailed.

I wonder if its a question of desire, he always looks more energetic and quicker when he has the ball or is running with it or onto it but trying to jump, tackle or run without the ball he looks miles off it.

IMO we are either going to have to give him a run of games to see if he can get back up to speed, deploy him in a number 10 role and drop Doidge or get rid.

Having said that there is no way he would ever show the energy or application Nisbet does in that role when asked to play it.

I dont think there is a cats chance in hell of the last season and a half's Stevie Mallan getting a new contract
    Last edited by BSEJVT; 11-01-2021 at 09:48 PM.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    I feel Mallan has a lot more impact when he comes off the bench and the other team are tiring. He had no effect whatsoever when he started against livi, mind you no-one did so I’m not singling him out for that.

Really think he gives us more when he comes off the bench
    Agree with this. Really like him but I thought he’d deliver much more than he has since he signed. Was delighted when we got him.

A really good option off the bench. Can’t complain at not starting given how his season has been thus far. Been quite unfortunate with injuries to be fair.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Made a difference for us when he came on. Has that bit of something special that can bring point winning moments, even if he's not going to go out and boss the midfield battle.
    Think thats the issue for many. If there's a midfield battle then he doesn't exist. I find him frustrating got some ability but for me doesn't apply himself well enough or consistently enough. I think he will always be on the periphery at Hibs. A nearly man.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Can't wait for Irvine to come in and hopefully blow both out the water, frankly.
    100%. Id be moving both Mallan and Hallberg on either this month or in the summer.

Let’s be honest, Mallan isn’t good enough for hibs. The fact he hasn’t managed to force his way into a midfield that has consisted of mainly Hallberg and Wright tells us all we need to know. He cannot be relied upon and his time is running out at Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    100%. Id be moving both Mallan and Hallberg on either this month or in the summer.
    Mallan is better with better players around him. You can see how he links with Murphy and Newall. He saved the day against alloa and again tonight.
    I'm not saying he is anywhere near consistent enough, but in my view I see improvement, better work rate and influence recently and I wouldnt be too hasty in moving him on. Irvine and Caddis are very good workman like players, but ability like Mallan doesn't grow on trees and I would like to see him get a last chance.
    No way Wright or Hallberg should be starting ahead of him.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mallan is better with better players around him. You can see how he links with Murphy and Newall. He saved the day against alloa and again tonight.
    I'm not saying he is anywhere near consistent enough, but in my view I see improvement, better work rate and influence recently and I wouldnt be too hasty in moving him on. Irvine and Caddis are very good workman like players, but ability like Mallan doesn't grow on trees and I would like to see him get a last chance.
    No way Wright or Hallberg should be starting ahead of him.
    On pure ability I would 100% agree

But playing in a team with Mallan in it is like being a man short when we are out of possession and our other midfielders aren't good enough to cover that burden.

He needs to find a way to be more effective when we don't have the ball or his chances will be extremely limited

Either that or he needs to move on

He would do a lot better after a run of games and an improvement in fitness, but I don't see that chance presenting itself at ER

I might be tempted to put him out on loan if we got more boides in, to see if he can recapture his early fitness & form

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    If you could combine him with Hallberg you’d have a good player. Someone else said about Hallberg that he runs about a lot without actually doing all that much. Mallan is immobile but can do something when he has it.

Think you play one of them and the other player seems a better option, and repeat. Neither good enough mid-long term.

First Team Regular howdenthehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    On pure ability I would 100% agree

But playing in a team with Mallan in it is like being a man short when we are out of possession and our other midfielders aren't good enough to cover that burden.

He needs to find a way to be more effective when we don't have the ball or his chances will be extremely limited

Either that or he needs to move on

He would do a lot better after a run of games and an improvement in fitness, but I don't see that chance presenting itself at ER

I might be tempted to put him out on loan if we got more boides in, to see if he can recapture his early fitness & form
    of course you're right mate,you know what ! We just need Scott Allan back and we can forget about Mallan.

Strange one, when he 1st came in he was a breathe of fresh air, scoring long range goals dictating tempo, now he hardly gets a start. Don't think Ross is a big fan but he's a decent squad player, theres times he looks disinterested and other times he's really good. Just another Hibs player who blows hot and cold on a regular basis and the reason he's with us and not at a higher level.

Play him behind 2 strikers with 2 grafters in midfield and he will score goals / assists.

Play him deep and don’t get the goals / assists.

Ask him to do box to box and he can’t do that as doesn’t have energy / aggression.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post

Is that anything more than a rumour just now?
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

He's great at times in a cameo role, but when he starts he's not great. I always think he should play just behind the strikers and no where near a workman role in the midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Play him behind 2 strikers with 2 grafters in midfield and he will score goals / assists.

Ask him to do box to box and he can’t do that as doesn’t have energy / aggression.
    I think this is a bit of a myth now, he's been played on the 10 role multiple times to no avail.

He also chooses to drop really deep and he's done it under multiple managers now, I don't think it's an instruction. He can't handle being pressured when receiving the ball and/or with his back to goal so he very often drops between the centre halfs to receive it.

In all honesty I don't think there is a position on the pitch for Stevie Mallan now at this level, he's the type who will look outstanding in the championship but his lack of athleticism or ability when pressurised lets him down

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post

He has had plenty of chances in that role. Never done better than Allan on his worst day.

He's great at times and poor at other times. Classic Hibs midfielder!

He was good when he came on. He moved the ball forward and quickly at every opportunity, took a fantastic free kick that lead to the goal.

Can't really ask much more for the amount of time he was on the park. I'd start him on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Is that anything more than a rumour just now?
    Now it's more but I confess I was not ITK.

@hibs.net private member

Mallan is a tremendous talent with the ball at his feet but as has often been discussed on here, he's not so much of an asset when we are trying to win the ball back. Hallberg meanwhile has a bit of everything and will track back and win the ball as well as get into the box on occasion. I think that's what got Hallberg the starting slot on Monday - Ross trying to achieve a balance in midfield would have had an eye on our ability to win the ball back from Celtic in the midfield as well as the ability to create. Mallan will get more opportunities to start this season - just hope he takes the game by the scruff of the neck and makes himself undropable.

I've been a critic . Hope he pushes on well done Stevie for recent performances. Keep it going sur.

@hibs.net private member
    Mallan is a completely different type player to Hallberg so it's a bit like saying Doidge should always be starting before Murphy or vice versa. Depends on who else is in the team and our opposition. I think they both have something to offer the squad.

Left by mutual consent!
    He’s still a young guy developing as a footballer and we are trying to figure out what he’s best used for. Releasing Mallan would be daft.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He has had plenty of chances in that role. Never done better than Allan on his worst day.
    That is just utter nonsense - complete garbage.

I’m a big Scott Allan fan but Scotty on his worst day is pretty much a man short. To say Mallan has never done better than THAT is just ridiculous considering some of his contributions even as an impact sub.