hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mallan

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He’s still a young guy developing as a footballer and we are trying to figure out what he’s best used for. Releasing Mallan would be daft.
    Agree like him as a player. Probably best off the bench but Alloa game showed what he is capable of. Put in a great ball for the goal last night and had a couple of decent efforts.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’ve always likes Mallan, there’s no doubting his ability, but he’s beginning to turn into Slyvka mark 2. He comes off the bench, looks great, starts the next week and does nothing. He’s probably worth keeping just for his impact value, but I’m not sure he’s going to be happy coming off the bench every week. Has he got another year on his contract?

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    That is just utter nonsense - complete garbage.

I’m a big Scott Allan fan but Scotty on his worst day is pretty much a man short. To say Mallan has never done better than THAT is just ridiculous considering some of his contributions even as an impact sub.
    In that position, for Hibs, he has never reached Allan's level. Allan is a level above.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    In that position, for Hibs, he has never reached Allan's level. Allan is a level above.
    Agree, but if both are 100% and on their game (which admittedly has not always been the case for Mallan since his first season), then not massively. For both, it depends how JR is setting up and the planned formation. And as often said in the past, you can't fit both on the pitch at the same time without seriously compromising the battling and ball-winning attributes of the midfield. You can even argue that that is the case with just one of them in the midfield, hence why the duracell Gogic from the Celtic game is vital to do some of their share of the graft. But if Allan can get back to his best then yes I'd see him starting, with Mallan as his cover on the bench. Allan is going to need time though and it will be the other way round for a few weeks once Allan is available again for a match day squad.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    Should be starting ahead of Hallberg. Always offers an outlet and is delivery can be top drawer.

I really like Mallan and think that with the confidence and aggression I'm starting to see, he could be a very useful player going forward.
    He is still young and is worth our support I think.
    Hallberg has been great since coming back in and works his socks off all over the park. Mallan has great ability and is effective when coming on chasing the game but right now Hallberg deserves a place for being able to play that position effectively from the start of games.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Hallberg has been great since coming back in and works his socks off all over the park. Mallan has great ability and is effective when coming on chasing the game but right now Hallberg deserves a place for being able to play that position effectively from the start of games.
    I agree, Hallberg has done really well since getting back into the team and has shown more than Mallan IMO so deserves his place. I think both players will struggle for game time though when we can have a combination of Newell, Irvine and Allan. That will potentially be our best midfield 3 since McGinn, McGeouch and Allan.

No question Mallan is capable of providing a moment of brilliance, which is all the more welcome when the team under Ross is so dull and predictable. However, if we had the decent, well balanced midfield we should have at Hibs, Mallan would been where near it.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Not arguing with that - that’s not how you phrased it previously though and what you said was nonsense.

Mallan is a far better sub than he is starter. When he comes on i always feel he'll produce a bit of brilliance. Don't get that feeling when he starts. Strange. Extremely talented player.