hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Drey Wright

I'm at a loss as to what type of player Wright is meant to be.

He's been played as a wide attacking midfielder/winger BUT had shown that he had very little pace, zero trickery to beat a man and no more than a rudimentary ability to cross the ball.

Defensively he can't tackle and is poor in the air....

So whilst I'm all for giving guys a chance (he's had more than half a season by the way) could someone explain what this particular player does or can bring to the team??

Is he being played out of position and can't adapt (a bit like Newell last season) or is he simply not good enough?

He certainly never caught my eye when he was a St Johnstone player.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

He's been played as a wide attacking midfielder/winger BUT had shown that he had very little pace, zero trickery to beat a man and no more than a rudimentary ability to cross the ball.

So whilst I'm all for giving guys a chance (he's had more than half a season by the way) could someone explain what this particular player does or can bring to the team??

Is he being played out of position and can't adapt (a bit like Newell last season) or is he simply not good enough?

He said in his interview on the Hibs website that he can play across the front attacking midfield line and also as an extra striker, yet to see it myself.

The game Hibs drew away to St Johnstone 1-1, Ollie Shaw scored a header at back post - Drey Wright ripped who ever was left back that day a new ********. Very direct constantly got to byline.

He’s had quite a serious injury since then & let’s be honest never gets a consistent run in the team particularly in the same position to build momentum.

I actually feel he would be more suited to being a box to box midfielder. A very similar transition that Paul Hartley made. Now I don’t think he’s going to be a international level player like Hartley but I certainly think we would get more out him in that role.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hes had enough chances. He has been shocking in a number of matches.

He isnt good enough and it's time to move him on ASAP. Simon Murray got punted for much less.

He will start today probably. 😂

He’s going to score the winner in the League Cup final isn’t he?

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Yup. Will go down as a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    We'd all take that as the outcome of his time here.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I actually want Drey Wright to play well as he seemed reasonable at StJohnstone. Just hasn’t worked out so far but the manager must see something in him that we don’t in front of our TV screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre Hibee View Post
    I actually want Drey Wright to play well as he seemed reasonable at StJohnstone. Just hasn’t worked out so far but the manager must see something in him that we don’t in front of our TV screens.
    'Reasonable' Hardly a compliment that 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    'Reasonable' Hardly a compliment that 😂
    I’m very hard to please 😂

On the bench Today
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

I was thinking yesterday, when is the last time we signed an ex player from St Johnstone who turned out to be considered a good signing in the end?

I'm thinking back more recently to our signings and guys like Drey Wright and Danny Swanson (obviously had understandable personal circumstances) then I think to other clubs like Aberdeen signing Stevie May who flopped massively.

All the above were highly regarded by St Johnstone then flopped at us or others in the league.

Strange to think that he could be one of four mids whose SNLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    I was thinking yesterday, when is the last time we signed an ex player from St Johnstone who turned out to be considered a good signing in the end?

I'm thinking back more recently to our signings and guys like Drey Wright and Danny Swanson (obviously had understandable personal circumstances) then I think to other clubs like Aberdeen signing Stevie May who flopped massively.

All the above were highly regarded by St Johnstone then flopped at us or others in the league.

Looking good in a crap side doesn't mean you are good, Wright played for Colchester in League 2 scoring just 8 goals in 135 games, and scoring zero goals in 36 games at St Johnstone, so far it's 16 games and just 1 goal. His career and record shows he's not prolific and has had 3 major knee injuries since 2014, he's 25 now and I cannot see him progressing, sometimes players just don't work out and maybe it's best to move on.

May flopped at Aberdeen due to a horrific injury at Preston.
    They made a massive mistake paying £400k to bring him back.
    This has probably been his best season since the injury but he lost the edge over other players the day that happened

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    May flopped at Aberdeen due to a horrific injury at Preston.
    They made a massive mistake paying £400k to bring him back.
    This has probably been his best season since the injury but he lost the edge over other players the day that happened
    May really reminds me of Andy Carrol. Came through was amazing got injured and never the same again.

Drey is a bit like Danny Swanson. Does well at St Johnstone where there is arguably less pressure but it doesn’t seem to click at Hibs. Both players always seemed to be carrying a bit more timber than they should and often look like they were blowing out their backsides like it was a game of 5s on day 2 of a stag do.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    Drey is a bit like Danny Swanson. Does well at St Johnstone where there is arguably less pressure but it doesn’t seem to click at Hibs. Both players always seemed to be carrying a bit more timber than they should and often look like they were blowing out their backsides like it was a game of 5s on day 2 of a stag do.
    Cant agree with that, Drey Wright works his socks off every time he plays, but while that is a good thing, he was surely brought to the club to create chances, go past defenders and have the odd shot at goal.

So far he's failing at that, but i've never seen him blowing out his erse.

John O'Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    Strange to think that he could be one of four mids whose SNLR.
    What is SNLR?

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    What is SNLR?
    I had to Google it.

Services no longer required
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

First Team Breakthrough

I agree. Not good enough for Hibs. Move him on and put it down to a bad signing.

Quote Originally Posted by roo62 View Post
    I agree. Not good enough for Hibs. Move him on and put it down to a bad signing.
    I wonder if there is a way back like with Ndombele at Spurs. I read an article on bbc where some put his resurgence down to a change of mindset. A desire to prove people wrong. Others think he's lost a bit of weight and is better for it. Having a proper holding midfielder in Hoijberg may also have helped. Perhaps all of the above?

Drey was signed on his potential to be a dangerous player rather than having decent stats at St. Johnstone. Perhaps it's just taking time to unlock that potential. Certainly he came back from a bad injury before we signed him so perhaps there is mitigation.

As the article says though any will to succeed has to come from the player. Those that work with him every day will know best.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    I wonder if there is a way back like with Ndombele at Spurs. I read an article on bbc where some put his resurgence down to a change of mindset. A desire to prove people wrong. Others think he's lost a bit of weight and is better for it. Having a proper holding midfielder in Hoijberg may also have helped. Perhaps all of the above?

Drey was signed on his potential to be a dangerous player rather than having decent stats at St. Johnstone. Perhaps it's just taking time to unlock that potential. Certainly he came back from a bad injury before we signed him so perhaps there is mitigation.

As the article says though any will to succeed has to come from the player. Those that work with him every day will know best.
    Yes I agree it sometimes works with top calibre players but I just don't see it with Drey Wright. I just don't see the "player in him" that makes him a benefit to the current squad.
    He does not have the pace of Boyle to beat men or the style of Murphy who although lacks pace just seems to effortlessly glide past players for fun.
    He is not a goalscorer either.
    I like Boyle and Murphy wide and am excited at the prospect of young Doig - real energy, likes to attack and he puts real dangerous balls into the box.
    I think we are covered in the centre with better players than Wright ...so i just cannot see a place for him now that we have just signed another two midfield players who look as if they will add to the quality of the squad.
    IMO Drey Wright is our poorest signing so far.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Can definitely remember a game at ER for Saints where he looked excellent wide right strong quick and a real threat however that was before his last serious injury. Possible he has lost a bit of pace and also given his best position is where Boyle plays he is unlikely to be starting regularly there though got to be said he has started 2 or 3 games there and not been that impressive. Hopefully his form improves and he provides a bit more from the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by roo62 View Post
    Hibs supporters must be the hardest to please in the world.

Give the guy a chance - he was obviously bought for a reason - he's only played a handful of games.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post

He injured his cruciate late 2018. He made his comeback from injury August 2019, nearly a year and a half ago. His injury can’t be used as an excuse for his performances - and if they can then whoever sanctioned the signing at Hibs should have questions to answer as to why we signed him in the first place if an injury he had been back from for near enough a year when we signed him was still causing him issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post

Give the guy a chance - he was obviously bought for a reason - he's only played a handful of games.
    And there’s a reason he has only played a handful of games, if he was any good at all, he’d be a first pick, get rid and get someone better in, it’s not that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post

A handful of games, try 21 in total, I don't know how many are starts but that's a lot of games to be crap in.