hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drey Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m not sure how many more chances the guy can get. He’s been absolutely woeful so far & has probably had one or two decent games in amongst it.

If an opportunity arises to move him on this month I’d not be against it
    I posted this a month ago and got slaughtered for it. Glad to see people have caught on and eventually realised that there should be no more chances given to him. Management team can only experiment so far, there has to be a time they put their hands up and admit 'we got this signing wrong'. Nowhere near good enough, hopefully replaced with an improvement either now or in the summer.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Kinross Hibee View Post
    I posted this a month ago and got slaughtered for it. Glad to see people have caught on and eventually realised that there should be no more chances given to him. Management team can only experiment so far, there has to be a time they put their hands up and admit 'we got this signing wrong'. Nowhere near good enough, hopefully replaced with an improvement either now or in the summer.
    Are you Mr C

Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    Are you Mr C
    Your attempted humour is wasted on me Cod Boy, I had to google and I am obviously far too old to know who that is!

Also, is your surname Cod or do you have a liking for fish? Just out of curiosity!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinross Hibee View Post
    Your attempted humour is wasted on me Cod Boy, I had to google and I am obviously far too old to know who that is!

Also, is your surname Cod or do you have a liking for fish? Just out of curiosity!
    No my mate is from Kinross was asking if it was him

Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    No my mate is from Kinross was asking if it was him
    Ah, apologies for the confusion, I thought you were questioning if I was a 90's Rapper.

I'm glad we cleared that up as I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Time and time again if a player doesn’t hit the ground running he is roundly dismissed on here. Some do come good , some eventually run out of chances.

If the many dissenting voices on here had got their way Doidge would have packed his bags and been on his way before he hit the goal trail and became a recognised valuable member of the team. I am old enough to remember guys like Darren Jackson being slaughtered for his slow start at Hibs but then going on to have a season and a half of some of the best midfield displays I have seen at Hibs and going on to play for Scotland and move to Celtic.

There are many reasons why Wright may not have hit the heights yet, he may never, but a St J supporting friend of mine assures me he was their best player last year. Patience I realise is in short supply on message boards but I say let the coaches coach and see what we can get out of players and don’t rush to judgement.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Time and time again if a player doesn’t hit the ground running he is roundly dismissed on here. Some do come good , some eventually run out of chances.

If the many dissenting voices on here had got their way Doidge would have packed his bags and been on his way before he hit the goal trail and became a recognised valuable member of the team. I am old enough to remember guys like Darren Jackson being slaughtered for his slow start at Hibs but then going on to have a season and a half of some of the best midfield displays I have seen at Hibs and going on to play for Scotland and move to Celtic.

There are many reasons why Wright may not have hit the heights yet, he may never, but a St J supporting friend of mine assures me he was their best player last year. Patience I realise is in short supply on message boards but I say let the coaches coach and see what we can get out of players and don’t rush to judgement.
    Excellent post.

I agree with this generally, but it does get to that stage where a player is simply not showing enough for the continued opportunities he is getting IMO - and that stage is now.
    For what he offers in that position (and long term ambitions of a conveyor belt developing talent coming through and selling on) I'd prefer to see us with a young lad from the academy getting his chance. I would sooner have Fraser Murray back from Dunfermline TBH.
    Last edited by Bobby's Cinema; 13-01-2021 at 03:57 PM.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Yup how many times would online forums have punted one of our most decorated players (Lewis Stevenson) prior to him lifting the Scottish Cup?

Let the coaches coach - it’s their job and they need to take a balanced view on things ultimately it’s their job on the line. Trust - the alternative is purgatory.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

All well and good but as a club wanting to achieve things like top4, cup success we can't keep waiting on certain players to hopefully come good. Yes Doidge finally came good goal wise but this season he's been pretty poor, makes a nuisance of himself but the goals haven't been there again and it's noticeable that when Ross plays one up top he opts for Nisbet.
    Sometimes players just don't do it when they move clubs, it happens, remember Craig came in as St Johnstone's top player and struggled with us, went back and returned to form immediately, maybe just time to say it hasn't worked out and move on.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    When I saw this top of the page I wondered if he had been sold.

Disappointed once again.......

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Andy74 still thinks Alan O'Brien will turn out ok.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    He definitely needs a shot on the bench . Maybe giving him the last 20 mins and seeing what he can do but offensively, he has been pretty ineffective.
    Had high hopes as he came with good endorsements from a few St Johnstone fans but so did Alan O’Brien ( Newcastle fans )
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Offer him to the saints as part of a deal to bring their c/ h Kerr (may have name wrong, the lad that is a hib s supporter, ). (Having a senior moment 're name).

Will do down as legend when he scores the winning goal in the League Cup final

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    All well and good but as a club wanting to achieve things like top4, cup success we can't keep waiting on certain players to hopefully come good. Yes Doidge finally came good goal wise but this season he's been pretty poor, makes a nuisance of himself but the goals haven't been there again and it's noticeable that when Ross plays one up top he opts for Nisbet.
    Sometimes players just don't do it when they move clubs, it happens, remember Craig came in as St Johnstone's top player and struggled with us, went back and returned to form immediately, maybe just time to say it hasn't worked out and move on.
    It also has to be remembered that Newell and Doidge only came good with a change of manager and that’s not going to happen this time. I hope Wright turns out to be good, but right now he’s offering nothing going forward.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    He definitely needs a shot on the bench . Maybe giving him the last 20 mins and seeing what he can do but offensively, he has been pretty ineffective.
    Had high hopes as he came with good endorsements from a few St Johnstone fans but so did Alan O’Brien ( Newcastle fans )
    The Newcastle fan I asked about O'Brien said he was a headless chicken.

Going against the grain here but I actually don't think he's been as bad as folk have made out. People have just latched on to slaughtering the lad for everything. Give him the full season. As others have said, look at Newell and Doidge. He's very much in the managers thoughts going by the game time he gets so we just need to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Franck Stanton View Post
    Offer him to the saints as part of a deal to bring their c/ h Kerr (may have name wrong, the lad that is a hib s supporter, ). (Having a senior moment 're name).
    Signing Hibs supporters doesn't always work. Look at Swanson (or was he a Jambo ).

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Personally I’m backing Makalamby to turn it around.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    The Newcastle fan I asked about O'Brien said he was a headless chicken.

Never ask a Newcastle fan about anything. They are clueless.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Do you not remember the Alan O’Brien game?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Whilst of course you’re right that some players don’t hit the ground running and come good id reckon you’d be looking at very, very few players who have looked so badly out there depth after 21 appearances and turn it round.

Doidge showed a lot more during his 9 games where he didn’t get a goal than Drey Wright has shown and I reckon you’d be doing well to find many examples of players who have done it in recent history.

@hibs.net private member Newcastlehibby's Avatar
    [QUOTE=jacomo;6421093]Never ask a Newcastle fan about anything. They are clueless.

I think you will find that it is the management who are clueless. Stupid stereotypical remark to make.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Except in this case he was spot on about O'Brien.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Was it not run rather than game.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Of course i do, Gretna at home. It was as if we played someone else with an Alan O'Brien mask.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Going against the grain here but I actually don't think he's been as bad as folk have made out. People have just latched on to slaughtering the lad for everything. Give him the full season. As others have said, look at Newell and Doidge. He's very much in the managers thoughts going by the game time he gets so we just need to go with it.
    I concur with this. Got to say he has done nothing much to impress so far and there is plenty of room for improvement - but he has not been anything like the disaster some are painting. Most of the criticism being about what he has NOT done rather than glaring errors he has made. He came to Hibs with rave reviews from St Johnstone - manager and fans alike - and I continue to watch with interest in the hope of seeing just what they saw to impress them so much.

NB - If there is one massive positive from having no fans in the ground it's that the likes of Wright has not been slaughtered in person by the ER boo boys - making what chance he has of finding convincing performances at Hibs disappear in a pop of dissolving self-belief. All his critics can do at the mo is write angry posts on here about how "enough is enough" and "he should be dropped" - and I may criticise these fans but in the context of a fan's forum they are certainly entitled to express their opinion - even if I hope they end up eating their words. I am sure that Jack Ross is every bit as keen as the lot of them put together to see Wright turn in some performances though, and he has continued to select him - presumably on the evidence of what he sees on the training pitch. Hopefully that yields results soon and Wright turns out to be a success at Hibs. I will continue to show patience and put my trust in the manager that he knows what he is doing for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    I concur with this. Got to say he has done nothing much to impress so far and there is plenty of room for improvement - but he has not been anything like the disaster some are painting. Most of the criticism being about what he has NOT done rather than glaring errors he has made. He came to Hibs with rave reviews from St Johnstone - manager and fans alike - and I continue to watch with interest in the hope of seeing just what they saw to impress them so much.

NB - If there is one massive positive from having no fans in the ground it's that the likes of Wright has not been slaughtered in person by the ER boo boys - making what chance he has of finding convincing performances at Hibs disappear in a pop of dissolving self-belief. All his critics can do at the mo is write angry posts on here about how "enough is enough" and "he should be dropped" - and I may criticise these fans but in the context of a fan's forum they are certainly entitled to express their opinion - even if I hope they end up eating their words. I am sure that Jack Ross is every bit as keen as the lot of them put together to see Wright turn in some performances though, and he has continued to select him - presumably on the evidence of what he sees on the training pitch. Hopefully that yields results soon and Wright turns out to be a success at Hibs. I will continue to show patience and put my trust in the manager that he knows what he is doing for the time being.
    I don’t think it would make the blindest bit of difference as I just don’t think he looks a good player. However, maybe if there was a crowd in he would feel the need to actually try being positive on occasion, rather than just check back and pass it inside almost every time he gets it. He’d certainly be left in no doubt that is what people want to see from players playing the type of position he does.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    There's quite a few Hibs fans who are Toon fans and vice versa, me included, so not the brightest of posts.