hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drey Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wright is clearly very low on confidence and the only way to change that is by putting in performances on the pitch and building it back up.

Unfortunately everything that doesn't come off for him is scrutinised, disected and used as a stick to beat him with which can only add to the pressure he is under. He's not the first Hibs player the support has jumped on and I dare say he won't be the last. We can all be guilty of being overly critical about our players and team performances, it's part and parcel of the make up of a football supporter I guess.

A little encouragement, however, can go a long way so we all need to think about repeatedly ripping our players a new one and the possible effect it can have on individual and collective team performances.

Wright has maybe bore the brunt of things but he hasn't been a lone target. There's been are a number of players, as well as the manager, who have recently had threads started on here questioning their ability or worth to the club. How can our players and management truly believe in themselves when they constantly read how little belief their own support have in them?

We can all be guilty of over criticism, I know I have been, so I'm going to try and be more positive instead or just keep any negative comments to myself.
    I hope we don't have any players or management daft enough to read stuff on a fans site and pay the slightest attention to it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Is it just me or does every touch he takes look like he’s panicking? Every time he got forward his touches were like he was under extreme pressure even though he had a few yards of space. His panicked, heavy, touches soon took that space away mind you...

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I hope we don't have any players or management daft enough to read stuff on a fans site and pay the slightest attention to it.
    Of course they do. Easy to say don’t pay attention but they aren’t robots unfortunately.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    He seems to have no attacking intent whatsoever, his 1st thought last night was to look inside or behind and play sideways or back, he had a one on one with Laxalt where the Celtic defender just stepped in between him and the ball and easily took it off him. I just cannot see what he brings, he's not a defender, he's not an attacker and he's not that good as a wide midfielder, if ha can't do any of these things then what is his point.
    Good summary he is garbage.
    Unfortunately we have a really weak squad when you look deeper you would really want to clear the decks of;

Wright
    Gray
    Mcgregor
    Stevenson
    Hallberg
    Mcginn s

Injured players
    Allan
    Magennis
    Mackie
    Marciano
    Boyle

So we are kind of bare bones players wise .
    Unless we through a few young lads on

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Seriously???

@hibs.net private member
    He either goes on loan to try and build some confidence or we get rid altogether this window please.

Left by mutual consent!
    I actually thought he played well last night!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post

Really? I only saw the game from half time onwards, he must have had a great first half then.

@hibs.net private member
    Once the Hibs.net barracking brigade get their claws into someone they rarely pause for breath or let go.

Wright played fine last night. Nothing spectacular mind but nothing out of sorts either - but the barracking brigade just cannot help themselves and will find fault where there is none once they have made a player the target for their moans. Bang out of order you sad people - we got a decent result last night so cheer up FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Once the Hibs.net barracking brigade get their claws into someone they rarely pause for breath or let go.

Wright played fine last night. Nothing spectacular mind but nothing out of sorts either - but the barracking brigade just cannot help themselves and will find fault where there is none once they have made a player the target for their moans. Bang out of order you sad people - we got a decent result last night so cheer up FFS.
    What are his attributes?

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!

Are you getting your claws into these sad people? Funny thing about human nature, can see and feel the perceived injustices perpetrated by others but don’t see it when do it themselves.

Sad people are the target of your moans, no?

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post

He was ok based on his recent performances, good effort but regularly looks lost and he needs to relax when in possession as he seems to be panicking a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    He was ok based on his recent performances, good effort but regularly looks lost and he needs to relax when in possession as he seems to be panicking a lot.
    That's how I see it. He looks terrified for whatever reason presumably short of confidence.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar

He wasn’t fine last night. He done nout but give the ball away. I’d be interested to see if any player that’s been the centre of the “barracking brigades” attention has ever amounted to anything at us?

Wright will most likely be moved on sooner rather than later

I will continue to give him my full support as long as he's wearing a green and white jersey. Really hope it clicks for him.

His main attribute appears to be his workrate. I agree that he seems to panic whenever he has the ball

In the second half, just before he was hooked Paul McGinn took a throw in to Wright who was in 10 yards of space. He could have easily taken half a step back and controlled the ball, instead he moved towards it and flicked it on with his head straight to Celtc player, that summed up his night for me
    Last edited by Partyraiser; 12-01-2021 at 02:01 PM.

He looks a player totally low on confidence in himself.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Are you getting your claws into these sad people? Funny thing about human nature, can see and feel the perceived injustices perpetrated by others but don’t see it when do it themselves.

Sad people are the target of your moans, no?
    Yes you are - cheer up - the world is miserable enough without your relentless negativity - get a counselor or something but spare the rest of us your miserable pish!

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Yep, you can't really rationalise much of a defence for him at this point.

Poor signing who needs to be moved on.
    What is it about players from St Johnstone having the heart of a mouse, Liam Craig was much the same, came here and disappeared, even with the captains armband on, which was a total disgrace. Wright is just as hopeless and needs binned, one wage which can definitely be better used.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    He wasn’t fine last night. He done nout but give the ball away. I’d be interested to see if any player that’s been the centre of the “barracking brigades” attention has ever amounted to anything at us?

Wright will most likely be moved on sooner rather than later

For sure - out of the current line up Stevenson, Hanlon, Doidge and Newell have all been the targets of know-nothing whinge-merchants on here.

I just mentioned on another thread about him but I think he’s just playing far far too safe for a winger and he’s lacking confidence.

He also doesn’t look like a winger, he’s giving the sort of performances you’d expect from a centre mid playing there - ie good defensively, keeps the ball well enough and works hard.

He will get a lot more praise from Hibs fans if he stands his full back up, knocks it past him and runs him. Even if it doesn’t come off the intent is there and it will give the defenders something to think about.

If you’re a full back the last thing you want is your opposition running at you, if he plays with his back to you and passes it back to the defence all game, like Wright does, then you’re delighted

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    Good summary he is garbage.
    Unfortunately we have a really weak squad when you look deeper you would really want to clear the decks of;

Wright
    Gray
    Mcgregor
    Stevenson
    Hallberg
    Mcginn s

Injured players
    Allan
    Magennis
    Mackie
    Marciano
    Boyle

So we are kind of bare bones players wise .
    Unless we through a few young lads on

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    As you say we’re down to the bare bones, hence the reason I wouldn’t get rid of anyone. Even with new players coming in I’d still be happy to keep guys like Hallberg as they’re decent enough and can do a shift as back up.

He’s not someone who gets me out of my seat every time he gets the ball but I do think the level of criticism he appears to attract is a bit harsh.

Wright definitely looks to be lacking confidence but strangely I prefer the balance of the side when he’s in it.

I can’t defend the individual incident stuff like giving the ball away but his work ethic and positional discipline are an asset in some games.

It would be great if he were to come good but if he looks this nervous with no fans, I hate to think what he’d be like with thousands howling every time he lost the ball.

@hibs.net private member
    First half he did ok and worked his socks off. He lacking a bit of confidence I hope he makes it at ER but think he’s finding it a bit tough. Hellberg and Stephen McGinn are in a similar position. Hard working honest pros but probably just not up the level of a top 4 Premiership club within in week out.

This isn't a question specifically about Drey Wright, though it may well be a large part of his problem as well..

Do we have Sports Psychologists working at Hibs?

I've often felt some of our players have mental issues that need to be addressed as much as any lack of talent.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Yes you are - cheer up - the world is miserable enough without your relentless negativity - get a counselor or something but spare the rest of us your miserable pish!
    I am what? Irony? Relentless negativity? Not a positive thing in your post. I’m assuming you’ve tried to make light of telling someone to seek help from a counsellor as well. Classy touch!

Cheer up, go seek counsellor and spare us...aye, absolutely miserable sentiment to put out there. Where is my relentless negativity?

The way you see it, this will be a negative response to your harmless post!

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This isn't a question specifically about Drey Wright, though it may well be a large part of his problem as well..

Do we have Sports Psychologists working at Hibs?

I've often felt some of our players have mental issues that need to be addressed as much as any lack of talent.
    Think we did but not sure with the staff changes due to COVID.

He played that fine he was subbed 5 mins into the 2nd half and it's not the 1st time this season that's happened. You have to question Ross who keeps picking him then subbing him regularly.

Testimonial Due
    As it stands, Drey Wright is this season's Josh Vela. He looks like a player whose confidence is completely shot and who hasn't been able to step up to the increased expectation in performance levels. He doesn't look like an out and out winger. He doesn't look comfortable in central midfield. He doesn't look like he's desperate to get the ball and go and do some damage to the opposition. The only good thing for Drey Wright so far is that he hasn't had to endure thousands of people screaming at him from the stands.

Does all that mean he's a bad player? Not necessarily. But, really, the only person who can change the perception of the majority of Hibs fans is Drey himself. If he gets further opportunities in the first team, he has to take them and show us what he can do. If he doesn't then he's unlikely to be a Hibernian player for much longer. Over to you, Drey.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'm not seeing him short of confidence, I'm seeing a player who just can't beat a man with pace, he's not that quick.

I'm seeing a player who can't beat a man with a trick, or a bit of skill, I'm just seeing a player who does work his socks off but the rest of his game, the bits we want from a wide man, like crosses, shots at goal and trickery to set up a chance for others is just not there.

We got him for free, I'd be very upset if we'd paid money for him.

He's part of the squad that has us 4th, hopefully he comes onto a game soon, or he will be dropped down the pecking order, maybe Cadden when he signs will be the player to do that?