hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drey Wright

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar

Drey Wright

I’m not sure how many more chances the guy can get. He’s been absolutely woeful so far & has probably had one or two decent games in amongst it.

If an opportunity arises to move him on this month I’d not be against it

2. Log in to remove the advert

Man short the last few games I wonder if he has problems and his focus is elsewhere. There is definitely something wrong he is simply anonymous.

@hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar
    His positional sense without the ball just isn’t there. So many times tonight he looked lost.

The time when Newell lost the ball at the edge of our box he was about 5 yards deeper than anyone else and played Harper onside. Luckily it was a poor shot when it should have been pulled back.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    An absolutely dreadful football player. Cant think of any other way to put it really.

Yep, you can't really rationalise much of a defence for him at this point.

Poor signing who needs to be moved on.

Coaching Staff
    Agree on contribution so far but I’d not be in a rush to give up on him just yet. It’s an odd season and not everyone will react in the same way. Think from some of his interviews he has had additions to the family too and he knows he hasn’t performed well.

I’d swap him back to st Johnstone for a half decent set of crockery.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree on contribution so far but I’d not be in a rush to give up on him just yet. It’s an odd season and not everyone will react in the same way. Think from some of his interviews he has had additions to the family too and he knows he hasn’t performed well.
    Unfortunately we aren’t in a position to wait on players finding form. Just can’t accept that when you’re fighting to finish in a European place and for silverware

Imo of course but if having Wright meant we’d miss out on another player I’d try move him on

Been willing him to do well for weeks but just doesn't seem to be happening for him at Hibs. It happens. Will probably move on and do well somewhere else.

I can’t recall a player having so little about them. It’s not even the not doing anything that annoys me, it’s the not trying to do anything.

The problem Wright has now is simply being average or good isn't going to be enough to get a lot of fans back onside. He'll need to be turning in 8 or 9 out of 10 performances consistently to shift opinion.

He's not had a good start to his Hibs career, although he has shown flashes and he has contributed on the defensive side in a few games. I don't think we are a million miles away from the point at which it may be best for all parties if he moves on though. Some players just don't work at certain clubs, it happens.

@hibs.net private member
    We need another option out wide. Cadden I'm guessing would be that. Wright may grow into player ala Newell and Doidge but right now he's not worth a place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The problem Wright has now is simply being average or good isn't going to be enough to get a lot of fans back onside. He'll need to be turning in 8 or 9 out of 10 performances consistently to shift opinion.

He's not had a good start to his Hibs career, although he has shown flashes and he has contributed on the defensive side in a few games. I don't think we are a million miles away from the point at which it may be best for all parties if he moves on though. Some players just don't work at certain clubs, it happens.
    I’m not sure he even needs to be that good. He’s near enough always first or second to be subbed off when he gets a start and he’s more often than not the worst player on the pitch. Even just getting to the level of the rest of the team would be a huge improvement imo but I don’t see any way that’s going to happen.

I wouldn’t even say he has been average. Below average tbh. It’s frustrating because sometimes you think there’s a player there, you blink, & he’s lost it

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Have to admit I've not seen much promise from him either. Took Joe Newell a little while to settle and countless others going back in time but have to admit I'm seeing very little encouragement from him. He's probably better than he is showing us right now or indeed in all his Hibs career to date but as PB posted sometimes a club and player just aren't a good fit. A good candidate to move on at present.

Being "average" would be a VAST improvement on what he's shown so far.

What does he offer to the team ?

Nothing that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    I wouldn’t even say he has been average. Below average tbh. It’s frustrating because sometimes you think there’s a player there, you blink, & he’s lost it
    Yeah I'm not saying he has been average or good. I:m saying that even if he can attain that level he will find it hard to wins fans over.

He needs to go on a run of form that I'm sceptical he has in him to salvage his Hibs career.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I'm not saying he has been average or good. I:m saying that even if he can attain that level he will find it hard to wins fans over.

He needs to go on a run of form that I'm sceptical he has in him to salvage his Hibs career.
    Whilst I agree, many said the same about Joe Newell

Even more about Doidge

Like you though, I have severe doubts

I actually feel heart sorry for the guy, it must be awful as not one person has a good word to say about him.

For the first time ever, I thought he tried to take someone on a couple of times early on and after failing he never tried again

Ah right got you, aye I agree with that. These things happen unfortunately but can see why we signed him

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Whilst I agree, many said the same about Joe Newell

Even more about Doidge

Like you though, I have severe doubts

I actually feel heart sorry for the guy, it must be awful as not one person has a good word to say about him.

For the first time ever, I thought he tried to take someone on a couple of times early on and after failing he never tried again
    I can see the comparisons to an early Joe Newell, but not Doidge.

Yes he struggled to score to begin with but there was no doubt that the big man knocked his pan in for the team and gave us more presence up top when in the side. In no way was Doidge free of criticism but Drey Wright is offering the square root of **** all every game he plays. He doesn't tend to make howlers or anything but he just doesn't affect the game in a positive way at all.

Tbh even early Joe Newell was being played completely out of position on the wing when we can clearly see he is best suited to CM. Wright has moved about a bit but looks identical whether he's on the left, right or through the middle. Unfortunately it's simply not worked out, not good enough and needs moved on but that happens.

What is it that we reckon Hibs saw in him at St J?

On paper he was absolutely rotten there as well. A pitiful return from a winger. I don’t remember him at all either but that doesn’t tell me too much as I would hardly ever watch St J.

Someone posted some clips a while ago which claimed to show that Wright can be a good player - the clips were a screamer from over 6 years ago and a shot from 30 yards for St J which Forster comfortably saves. If that’s the highlights from the last 6 years then I’d suggest he should never have been signed in the first place.

Get him out on loan to Raith or somebody and hopefully he can get a run of games and maybe kick on. It's not working for him with us. He's had enough chances.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Not sure we need a thread every game he plays. Definitely struggling at present though did some decent defensive work.

Very poor last night, like playing with a man less. Haven't seen hm play a decent match for Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsboy69 View Post
    Being "average" would be a VAST improvement on what he's shown so far.

What does he offer to the team ?

Nothing that I can see.
    Agree. Last night the majority of his involvements got a negative mark from me, maybe a couple of neutral marks (i.e. something very routine that you would expect any donkey in a Hibs shirt to do), and absolutely no positive marks. Unless I blinked and missed one.
    There was one particular occasion when he had me yelling an obscenity when he carried the ball inside into a central position, not out of choice, but having been forced that way, played a simple nothing pass to Newell (I think) who actually didn't have that much space, then he immediately turned his back on Newell and walked/jogged back towards the right hand side. Was so pleased to see him hooked.

I'd far rather play Bradley or Gullan.

They might contribute just as little, but at least they'd be likely to learn and improve from it.

I cant see anything in drey Wright as a winger at all.

Wright is clearly very low on confidence and the only way to change that is by putting in performances on the pitch and building it back up.

Unfortunately everything that doesn't come off for him is scrutinised, disected and used as a stick to beat him with which can only add to the pressure he is under. He's not the first Hibs player the support has jumped on and I dare say he won't be the last. We can all be guilty of being overly critical about our players and team performances, it's part and parcel of the make up of a football supporter I guess.

A little encouragement, however, can go a long way so we all need to think about repeatedly ripping our players a new one and the possible effect it can have on individual and collective team performances.

Wright has maybe bore the brunt of things but he hasn't been a lone target. There's been are a number of players, as well as the manager, who have recently had threads started on here questioning their ability or worth to the club. How can our players and management truly believe in themselves when they constantly read how little belief their own support have in them?

We can all be guilty of over criticism, I know I have been, so I'm going to try and be more positive instead or just keep any negative comments to myself.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Scoring once is the only thing of note he has done, I am usually happy to give players time to settle but I don't see anything here, he hasn't had a good game yet, he's had one good half.

We are very thin on the ground and could really do with some players stepping up but many of them including wright just don't look capable of that.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    I know we don’t have much wide players but surly Bradley is worth a punt, also in the first half we played with a back three, we could bring in McGregor and push McGinn wide right, again he would offer more than Wright

He seems to have no attacking intent whatsoever, his 1st thought last night was to look inside or behind and play sideways or back, he had a one on one with Laxalt where the Celtic defender just stepped in between him and the ball and easily took it off him. I just cannot see what he brings, he's not a defender, he's not an attacker and he's not that good as a wide midfielder, if ha can't do any of these things then what is his point.