hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s not just me that brings it up though as you’re suggesting, it gets mentioned all over the majority of match day threads and it gets mentioned all over the threads after these games on the forum. Go and read the match day thread from yesterday up until half time and try and suggest it’s just me that keeps saying it. Tam McManus pointed it out yesterday how boring it was to watch at half time. Plenty folk are finding it boring.
    Exactly, a spell of a game where we were below par, and there were reasons for that. Second half we were far better. If you want us to play swashbuckling free flowing attacking possession football then I’m sorry you are following the wrong team.

In the main we will play attacking football (or at least try to), with Boyle Murphy Nisbet Allan Doig as an attacking full back etc, however it doesn’t always turn out like that. There are many factors to that, and even watching Rangers and Celtic is a chore at times. It’s a competitive league and you have to have that dirty side to you to win games, especially at this time of year.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Which teams have been consistently attractive on the eye this season?
    I don’t watch that much other football, so I couldn’t tell you.

But unless there’s something happened this season that stops the players on the pitch playing good football then I’m not sure why it matters what others are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Exactly, a spell of a game where we were below par, and there were reasons for that. Second half we were far better. If you want us to play swashbuckling free flowing attacking possession football then I’m sorry you are following the wrong team.

In the main we will play attacking football (or at least try to), with Boyle Murphy Nisbet Allan Doig as an attacking full back etc, however it doesn’t always turn out like that. There are many factors to that, and even watching Rangers and Celtic is a chore at times. It’s a competitive league and you have to have that dirty side to you to win games, especially at this time of year.
    What? Why am I following the wrong team? Is that not exactly what Hibs have a tradition of doing?

I don’t watch that much other football, so I couldn’t tell you.

But unless there’s something happened this season that stops the players on the pitch playing good football then I’m not sure why it matters what others are doing.
    Good point. There's nothing different about this season whatsoever.

Good point. There's nothing different about this season whatsoever.
    Of course you’ve totally ignored the part about the players on the pitch.

So are you telling me it’s not possible to play a good style of football because the fans aren’t there?

What? Why am I following the wrong team? Is that not exactly what Hibs have been known for?
    I’m 28 and barring possibly one season I have never seen us go a full season playing fast, free flowing, exciting, attacking football scoring loads of goals.

We’re third in the league, in our second cup semi final of the year, scored the third most goals in the league, conceded the third least goals in the league, got the leagues top scorer, we average 2.5 goals in our games.

So are you telling me it’s not possible to play a good style of football because the fans aren’t there?
    Remember, it’s only your opinion that we’re not playing a ‘good style of football’. What if the majority of fans are enjoying what they are seeing? Should Jack Ross change for the minority? As you say it’s all subjective.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Give me boring football and 3rd place over “good” football and 6th place any day.

You cannae please everyone all the time, if we were playing amazing football and were 3rd there would be complaints that the board aren’t showing enough ambition to go and get 2nd place.

This season we’ve been keeping a decent amount of clean sheets, we’ve got a striker scoring plenty goals, we’ve had investment that’s brought in some quality players for our level.

We’re moving the right way, and even if there have been disappointing results along the way, I’m happy with what’s happening this season.

I’m 28 and barring possibly one season I have never seen us go a full season playing fast, free flowing, exciting, attacking football scoring loads of goals.

We’re third in the league, in our second cup semi final of the year, scored the third most goals in the league, conceded the third least goals in the league, got the leagues top scorer, we average 2.5 goals in our games.
    Nobody is debating all those things. Most of them have been acknowledged.

Again though, it’s subjective, and judging by posts, lots of people find our football boring. It’s not ‘nonsense’ or whatever else it’s been described as, because it’s just an opinion. An opinion that a lot of people hold judging by posts on this forum.

You don’t hold that opinion, that’s fine.

No we often do play good football. Most of us recognise that.

Nobody is debating all those things. Most of them have been acknowledged.

Again though, it’s subjective, and judging by posts, lots of people find our football boring. It’s not ‘nonsense’ or whatever else it’s been described as, because it’s just an opinion. An opinion that a lot of people hold judging by posts on this forum.

You don’t hold that opinion, that’s fine.
    Surely all of that makes a game exciting? Goals, mistakes, action points, penalties, red cards. The only thing missing is an atmosphere. What do you class as exciting out of curiosity? What do you want to see from Hibs?

Gamer IDs

Surely all of that makes a game exciting? Goals, mistakes, action points, penalties, red cards. The only thing missing is an atmosphere. What do you class as exciting out of curiosity? What do you want to see from Hibs?
    An exciting game and attractive football aren’t one and the same though. I can see Callums point, I just don’t think it’s as big an issue as some do.

Some of the football we’ve produced hasn’t been very good at all, that’s a fact, but would we rather build the basis of a team who can get results and build performance levels. on that, or have a team who can play great football but have to work on getting results?

No we often do play good football. Most of us recognise that.
    A read of the match threads and subsequent threads afterwards would show that a lot of people don’t think that as well.

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?350170-Hibs-2-v-0-Kilmarnock/page5

That’s yesterday’s just before half time.

Here’s a thread titled boring where plenty people are again in agreement -

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?349305-Boring

There’ll be plenty others from previous games.

Making out like it’s just one or two people who think we play boring football or that it’s simply not the case is wrong.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 17-01-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    An exciting game and attractive football aren’t one and the same though. I can see Callums point, I just don’t think it’s as big an issue as some do.

Some of the football we’ve produced hasn’t been very good at all, that’s a fact, but would we rather build the basis of a team who can get results and build performance levels. on that, or have a team who can play great football but have to work on getting results?
    The opposite of boring is surely exciting though? So if we don’t want boring, then we want exciting? And exciting is goals, incidents, talking points, wins no?

Hearts have probably had plenty games with those things in the past. It doesn’t mean I think they play good football though.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 17-01-2021 at 01:44 PM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    I firmly believe if we were guarenteed a 6th place finish every year but play decent football then this board would be full of moaning about us under achieving

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Spot on the same people would be complaining saying we had failed and wanting the manager sacked.

Gamer IDs

The opposite of boring is surely exciting though? So if we don’t want boring, then we want exciting? And exciting is goals, incidents, talking points, wins no?
    Exciting games and good football aren’t the same thing.

Rory Delaps long throw ins for Stoke back in the day were exciting, but they were a ***** football team.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Spot on the same people would be complaining saying we had failed and wanting the manager sacked.
    Dundee Utd game case in point. We were brilliant for most of it but drew the game. It was carnage on here after it.

Rory Delaps long throw ins for Stoke back in the day were exciting, but they were a ***** football team.
    Exactly, so our games aren’t boring. We aren’t a boring team to watch as there is so much happens in our games. People may think we are play non attractive football, that’s their opinion. There’s a difference between that and boring though.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    In reply to Jim, I don’t really care about the extra money we could earn finishing higher if it’s going towards a team that isn’t enjoyable to watch. I’d rather finish a place or two lower, get less prize money but watch some very decent football than finish a position or two higher which still doesn’t win you anything, play boring football but be able to say ‘at least we got more money’ at the end of the season.

Playing good football and finishing higher up the league aren’t two things that can’t go together. In fact I’d suggest that doing the first thing usually ends up more often than not with you doing the second thing. Just look at the league winners all around the world most seasons. They’re usually also a team that play a brand of football that is very easy on the eye.
    Don't think we play boring football so it is entirely subjective on your part. A lot it is about who you are playing against and how they play. Increased revenue due to league position allows us to bring in better players. If we end up 5th or 6th and played a more open style but were caught out on the break like the Dundee United game you would be one of the first piling in on how it wasn't good enough not saying oh well I enjoyed that game even though we lost a last minute goal.

The one thing that is unquestionably boring is the people that have posted a hundred times about being bored.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Dundee Utd game case in point. We were brilliant for most of it but drew the game. It was carnage on here after it.
    0-0 at Ross County where we battered them as well.

In fact, 16 shots at Celtic on Monday night saw some label us negative.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    The one thing that is unquestionably boring is the people that have posted a hundred times about being bored.
    Ah, we’re back to the forum police telling us how long/how many posts a discussion should last.

If people keep posting then the discussion will keep going. It’s how a forum works.

Ah, we’re back to the forum police telling us how long/how many posts a discussion should last.

I wasn't telling you to do or not do anything, merely making an observation.

If you can continually post how bored you are with watching Hibs, then surely I can post how bored I am reading your constant negativity?

Yes. In a Hibs context, Yogis teams played ‘attractive’ football in the sense that he likes to get the ball on the deck and play it about. However, in lots of games it seemed to be possession for possessions sake and was quite boring to watch. By contrast, The classic old fashioned ‘winger gets to the bye line, whips in a high percentage cross and the striker rises to bundle it in’ Nish/Mixu/goal isn’t an attractive goal that will excite the purists but it is exciting as **** when you’re in the ground and Hibs score it.

Stoke fans will tell you Delaps long throws were a thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I wasn't telling you to do or not do anything, merely making an observation.

If you can continually post how bored you are with watching Hibs, then surely I can post how bored I am reading your constant negativity?

Touchè.

Apologies

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    A read of the match threads and subsequent threads afterwards would show that a lot of people don’t think that as well.

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?...lmarnock/page5

That’s yesterday’s just before half time.

Here’s a thread titled boring where plenty people are again in agreement -

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?349305-Boring

There’ll be plenty others from previous games.

Making out like it’s just one or two people who think we play boring football or that it’s simply not the case is wrong.
    Out of curiosity and I haven't went back and checked - what were your posts like after the 1-1 draw with Dundee utd?

Based on what your saying I'd assume they were full of praise for what was really, an excellent display of attacking football

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Jack’s certainly had a lot of stick on here, but we need to acknowledge the great works he’s done at Hibs. Sitting 3rd in the league
    This is a massive week though for Jack and Hibs

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Out of curiosity and I haven't went back and checked - what were your posts like after the 1-1 draw with Dundee utd?

Based on what your saying I'd assume they were full of praise for what was really, an excellent display of attacking football

Ive just had a look at that thread. Basically if you’re a we should have won by 6 or 7 that day and it’s down to the Utd keeper having a 10/10 day. And if you’re a it’s down to Doidge being a donkey. And then folk start having a go at each other, hermit crab asks someone out for a square go and someone says something about unseen work...

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Give me boring football and 3rd place over “good” football and 6th place any day.

You cannae please everyone all the time, if we were playing amazing football and were 3rd there would be complaints that the board aren’t showing enough ambition to go and get 2nd place.

This season we’ve been keeping a decent amount of clean sheets, we’ve got a striker scoring plenty goals, we’ve had investment that’s brought in some quality players for our level.

We’re moving the right way, and even if there have been disappointing results along the way, I’m happy with what’s happening this season.

We should all be happy with the direction of travel. Fans are entitled to grumble about the style of football and certain results, but having a full scale meltdown about it is way over the top.

I suppose the real question is: is this as good as it gets, or is there more to come? Based on our recruitment in the past year I’m definitely in the latter camp. Jack strikes me as a very organised and structured manager but there is potential for more flair and creativity within that.