hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

All leagues below championship suspended

As well as the Scottish cup for 3 weeks. All championship clubs must be tested weekly.
    Last edited by we are hibs; 11-01-2021 at 11:44 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Common sense from the powers that be but why below the Championship ? Should be immediately for all leagues imo until we get the vaccine rolled out for everyone.
    Last edited by Scottie; 11-01-2021 at 11:47 AM.

I presume The Championship is OK because they do regular testing?

I'm not surprised by this except that I'd anticipated the Championship being suspended too. They can start weekly testing, but Alloa and Arbroath are part-time so players could be at their day jobs between a test and match day. I'd have thought that only completely full-time divisions could continue at present.

Looks like we will have a few young boys who are out on loan not playing football.
    I can understand the reasoning though.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I presume The Championship is OK because they do regular testing?

They don’t, but if they want to continue they’ll have to.

United we stand here....

Does this mean the league cup semi finals are off?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Does this mean the league cup semi finals are off?

all LC sides are top league i reckon they will still be on

league games are

Coaching Staff
    QUOTE=Half Pint;6415033]Common sense from the powers that be but why below the Championship ? Should be immediately for all leagues imo until we get the vaccine rolled out for everyone.[/QUOTE]
    Totally agree another half hearted response.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Gives Hibs a free weekend, unless we move one of our midweek games to the Saturday

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I suspect the top divisions will soon follow. Here we go again...

@hibs.net private member
    Any ideas what this could mean for the Scottish cup?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    I just got a notification saying that the QotS game is postponed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    The next round (round 3) will be postponed along with any outstanding ties from rounds 1 & 2.
    Last edited by Sir David Gray; 11-01-2021 at 12:59 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    The next round (round 3) will be postponed along with any outstanding ties from rounds 1 & 2.
    This could be pretty tight to catch up on. There are already a few fixtures well behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    Common sense from the powers that be but why below the Championship ? Should be immediately for all leagues imo until we get the vaccine rolled out for everyone.

So suspend football until about September with no TV money coming in and maybe having to pay some back. Seems a good way to bankrupt a few clubs.

Is it true that unless the leagues are 80% completed, they can be called null and void?

On the plus side
    Sevco - No “55”.
    Jambos - Another season in Championship?

On the negative side
    No European spot for us - maybe?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Gives Hibs a free weekend, unless we move one of our midweek games to the Saturday
    That would make sense I think unless we have a couple coming in near end of the window and might want to give them time to bed in.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    So suspend football until about September with no TV money coming in and maybe having to pay some back. Seems a good way to bankrupt a few clubs.
    You've obviously not got a grasp of whats going on with Covid in the UK or worldwide with a reply like that

Over a 1000 people a day are dying in the UK alone and projected to get worse but lets bash on wi the football because its the right thing to do. Its not just elderly with underlying health issues that are dying its young fit people as well. Maybe until you see body bags up your street or a family member in one of them you'll start believing the figures coming out and the right thing to do is temporarily suspend football until we can get a grasp of this virus. Unfortunately clubs could go to the wall and die just like 10s of thousands of folk here have already done.
    Last edited by Scottie; 11-01-2021 at 02:22 PM.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Is it true that unless the leagues are 80% completed, they can be called null and void?

On the plus side
    Sevco - No “55”.

On the negative side
    I don't think there are established rules or cut-off points. I think what happens in the event of the season finishing early would be exactly like last year: it's up to the SPFL (i.e., the clubs) to come to an agreement and get it voted through. At the start of this season the SPFL board tried to get the clubs to agree a set of rules to govern an unfinished season, but the clubs didn't fancy it. Mostly, you'd assume that's because they want the opportunity to vote for what most benefits them depending on the exact circumstances.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    That would make sense I think unless we have a couple coming in near end of the window and might want to give them time to bed in.
    The rearranged Dundee Utd game, due to the semi final would be the ideal one

You've obviously not got a grasp of whats going on with Covid in the UK or worldwide with a reply like that

Over a 1000 people a day are dying in the UK alone and projected to get worse but lets bash on wi the football because its the right thing to do. Its not just elderly with underlying health issues that are dying its young fit people as well. Maybe until you see body bags up your street or a family member in one of them you'll start believing the figures coming out and the right thing to do is temporarily suspend football until we can get a grasp of this virus. Unfortunately clubs could go to the wall and die just like 10s of thousands of folk here have already done.
    If you look at my age you’ll see that I know only too well what the situation is.Nowhere in your reply do you give a reason why football at the top level should stop.What effect would that have on the death and infection rate. We are talking about a very small number of people.Do you think that large employers who will not be carrying out the amount of testing that elite football does should be closed down? Frankly I find your remarks about my opinion extremely insulting .You know nothing about me,my family or my situation and as my mother used to say “if you can’t keep a civil tongue in your head you should keep it shut”.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

That would mean no more football in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post

Everyone won’t be vaccinated by September. To hit that UK government would need to be vaccinating 2m people a week (plus follow up jabs, call it 4m appointments a week) and we are way off that target.

Makes sense to suspend lower leagues. I was amazed they were allowed to continue for two long.

Some leagues with players who are definitely not professional being allowed to continue was nonsense.

Hearts are lucky they are allowed to continue but I assume the Championship only goes ahead if all teams test ?

You can tell they want to avoid no promotion / relegation after last seasons carry on.

As others have said the seriousness of the situation can’t be under estimated here and folk saying football isn’t an issue - well there are plenty of examples of it being an issue already and we have no idea what else has happened lower down leagues as they don’t test !

We are at the peak of the crisis right now, no question. Hence the current lockdown. But the figures were nothing like this bad last summer. It’s also possible that many people have already had the virus and have natural immunity. Waiting until everyone has had the vaccine could take a year, and banning sport until then seems reckless in its own way.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    What happens if the other championship clubs say they can’t afford to test?

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post

On the plus side
    Sevco - No “55”.

On the negative side
    I could live with the negative side tbh

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    What happens if the other championship clubs say they can’t afford to test?
    James Anderson rides to the rescue.