hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackson Irvine

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On paper he is exactly the type i was hoping we would sign.

Centre mid with energy who has played at a good level, comes with a good reputation, was captain of his previous club, is coming into his prime years and has experience of playing in scotland.

That's on paper though, i have never seen him play (other than against us) so no real idea if he is good or not!
    He is an established Australian internationalist, and is classed by some as a box to box midfielder

I was reading the match report from the 2016 League Cup Final, and it said that he had won the battle between him and SJM

Obviously he’s not as good as SJM, but I have been a long term admirer and would be delighted if he signs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Is this bit the first for .net the a player who’s been talked about signing for Hibs the last few windows and the overwhelming majority of posters who have an opinion wanted this to happen. Now it’s actually potentially going to happen I’m surprised there isn’t more of a positive reaction
    It's called holding your breath

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    He is an established Australian internationalist, and is classed by some as a box to box midfielder

I was reading the match report from the 2016 League Cup Final, and it said that he had won the battle between him and SJM

Obviously he’s not as good as SJM, but I have been a long term admirer and would be delighted if he signs.
    If we do sign Jackson Irvine my concern will be it's just to the end of the season, would it be asking to much for a longer term contract for him. Come on Hibs show ambition get him tied down. He is exactly what we have been missing for ages. Think he is the type of that can get the best out of Scottie when we get him back.
    Last edited by badabing67; 11-01-2021 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by badabing67 View Post
    If we do sign Jackson Irvine my concern will be it's just to the end of the season, would it be asking to much for a longer term contract for him. Come on Hibs show ambition get him tied down. He is exactly what we have been missing for ages. Think he is the type of that can get the best out of Scottie when we get him back.
    Nothing to do with ambition.

Left by mutual consent!
    Will be a great signing but trying not to get too excited until the deal is done

Posted on a Hull fans forum to get some feedback from his time there and how he compares to Greg Docherty. This is what I received.

“I think some on here were bigger fans than me tbf. His biggest issue with us was that he cost us £2m+ and he never looked like a player of that calibre or close. As with Doc, he's got a good engine but that's where the similarities end really. Personally, I feel that Greg is a significant upgrade for us, he's far better technically than Jackson and although when he left a few fans were disappointed, he's not been a miss at all this season for us. Jackson's good in the air too, he had a very good season at Burton where he scored 10, I seem to remember him playing just behind the striker and that appeared to suit him more.

I think it speaks volumes that he hasn't been able to get a championship club, there's significantly more money on offer in there but in the SPL, a similar level to League One, he won't do a bad job.“

“ IMO not a bad signing for you, he always gives a 100%, lacks a bit technically, but makes up for it in endeavour.”

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Looking at his Hull goals he looks exactly what we need. a late runner into the box and someone that can get beyond the strikers. That may work well with Gogic and Newell in the middle
    Don't think we've had someone who can arrive late into the box on a consistent basis since Pat McGinley.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Posted on a Hull fans forum to get some feedback from his time there and how he compares to Greg Docherty. This is what I received.

“I think some on here were bigger fans than me tbf. His biggest issue with us was that he cost us £2m+ and he never looked like a player of that calibre or close. As with Doc, he's got a good engine but that's where the similarities end really. Personally, I feel that Greg is a significant upgrade for us, he's far better technically than Jackson and although when he left a few fans were disappointed, he's not been a miss at all this season for us. Jackson's good in the air too, he had a very good season at Burton where he scored 10, I seem to remember him playing just behind the striker and that appeared to suit him more.

I think it speaks volumes that he hasn't been able to get a championship club, there's significantly more money on offer in there but in the SPL, a similar level to League One, he won't do a bad job.“

“ IMO not a bad signing for you, he always gives a 100%, lacks a bit technically, but makes up for it in endeavour.”

“Personally I liked him, always a goal in him too, runs all day, skillful, good in the air, but if anything a bit lightweight when a game gets a bit tasty. He was a fans favourite here for a long time with the terrace chant about his hair to the tune of Sweet Caroline. I liked it.
    Lives locally to me and I know he has been keeping himself fit, has had a couple of trials, Sheff Weds were interested and he spent time at Oldham getting match fit.
    He will be a good signing for you. Aussie International too.“

“Personally I liked him, always a goal in him too, runs all day, skillful, good in the air, but if anything a bit lightweight when a game gets a bit tasty. He was a fans favourite here for a long time with the terrace chant about his hair to the tune of Sweet Caroline. I liked it.
    Lives locally to me and I know he has been keeping himself fit, has had a couple of trials, Sheff Weds were interested and he spent time at Oldham getting match fit.
    He will be a good signing for you. Aussie International too.“
    I know he is a midfielder but there would be an opportunit to expect less from Christian Doidge defensively if he comes in. One of the things that might be having a negative impact on CDs performances is how much work has been expected from him this season not only in attack but in defense too.

Quote Originally Posted by badabing67 View Post
    If he was only here to the end of May but helped us to finish 3rd and win a trophy I’d think we’d all be quite happy tbh

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Is this bit the first for .net the a player who’s been talked about signing for Hibs the last few windows and the overwhelming majority of posters who have an opinion wanted this to happen. Now it’s actually potentially going to happen I’m surprised there isn’t more of a positive reaction

It’s not a first, but Hibs.net revisionism means we forget all about a similar clamour to sign Gogic six months ago...

The arrogance of down south. I've had the misfortune of going to League One games and they are miles off Scottish Premier IMO.

Phoned a mate from down Hull way to ask what his stats are like. "Just the one on his left arm" was the reply.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    The arrogance of down south. I've had the misfortune of going to League One games and they are miles off Scottish Premier IMO.
    I went to a few Grimsby Town games when I lived down there. I was at a Stenhousemuir game earlier this year and honestly couldn't tell the difference in standard.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    After Tom James I'm not happy about another player who has two first names.

I am aware that we have Scott Allan, but we may have just got lucky with him.

Amen brother.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    After Tom James I'm not happy about another player who has two first names.

I am aware that we have Scott Allan, but we may have just got lucky with him.

Jackson and Irvine are two first names?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Mentioned it on another thread but he would be a fantastic signing.

Hes so much more than a tough tackling centre mid like Gogic. He’s good defensively and can break up play but he’s more of an all round midfielder that can pass, run and score too Imo. He’s the type that can dominate the opposition and is something completely different to what we have.

Irvine, Newell, Magennis and Allan all competing for a central spot is very good never mind Gogic, Hallberg, Mallan and McGinn backing them up.

It would be a real statement of intent especially if we can get him for a couple of years.

..........Irvine.....Newell....

Boyle.........Allan........Murphy.....

................Nisbet........

Very strong and can do a bit of everything.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    The extensive coverage of Scottish football south of Berwick makes English based fans extremely well placed to compare the Scottish premiership to their leagues I was at Wigan v Nottingham Forest last season and the only difference to the Scottish premiership was the obvious propensity for EFL clubs to sign big athletic players, the standard was no better than yer average Motherwell v Kilmarnock match that I could see.

Come to mention it, if it hadn't been for a big Forest away support the crowd would have been about the same size as well.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 11-01-2021 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    It’s not a first, but Hibs.net revisionism means we forget all about a similar clamour to sign Gogic six months ago...
    And the delight in appointing Terry Butcher as manager

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CockneyRebel View Post
    Marty Jack? Neil Martin?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Alan Gordon
    Gordon Rae
    Robin Rae

Loads more mow that Surnames have crossed over to forenames

Lawrie Reilly
    Gordon Hunter

And the infamous (dunno what category it fits into)

Wolfgang Wolf always destined manager of Wolfsburg ;)

Jackson Pollock and Irvine Welsh would say so.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Jackson Irvine and Irvine Welsh too!

@hibs.net private member

Irving is the usual spelling for a first name - any other Jacksons?

Seeing as you have given such a comprehensive list I will withdraw.

Coaching Staff
    Irving is the usual spelling for a first name - any other Jacksons?

Seeing as you have given such a comprehensive list I will withdraw.
    DeForest Kelley from Star Trek is actually Jackson DeForest Kelley.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I thought of Jackson Pollock too, but apparently his first name was Paul.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Pollock

https://youtu.be/51RDHAovplU

Looks a great player, and would I want him at Hibs? Too bloody right I would.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I thought of Jackson Pollock too, but apparently his first name was Paul.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Pollock
    Was there not a striker who played for Porto for a while and was quite good for them? Jackson Martinez? 🤔

Does he have his own web page but? another midfielder and he hasn’t played a game this season

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    I think he could be the box to box midfield powerhouse that we’ve been waiting for. He could be the next Pat McGinlay.
    Does he like saunas too