hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: 4th

4th

On the basis of what you have seen over the season so far and not just the last 2 games who is confident?

I am!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Very confident.

We are going through our sticky patch, we will recover and pick it up.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very confident.

We are going through our sticky patch, we will recover and pick it up.
    Starting on Monday
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Starting on Monday

Depends on which Celtic turn up.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Not confident

Lose to Celtic that is three losses on the bounce

Not convinced by Ross either

We are in free fall

No guts no glory

Just saying likes

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Not confident

Lose to Celtic that is three losses on the bounce

Not convinced by Ross either

We are in free fall

No guts no glory

Just saying likes

It would be four losses on the bounce

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    It would be four losses on the bounce

Not that fussed about watching it either would rather stick red hot pins in my eyes

Its an odd season, think we have a squad capable of third but injuries and inconsistency mean we are just as capable of a great run as we are a poor one....feel we were very unlucky (softest of penalties against and a missed stone waller for) in our last two games against the OF and that has knocked confidence more than a little. Our current league position is as much to do with at times our own good football as our opponents poor play. If you offered me the league cup and a 5th placed finish now I'd snap your hand off but still think its in our own hands to take the cup and third.
    Quite an important window this. While I'm a fan of quality over quantity, this season has shown that its not as simple as that....we don't seem to have the depth to cover loss of form as well as injuries and suspensions. A lot of games in a league season, even with no Europe.

Suppose in summary I don't have a clue

View hasn't changed since all that crazy talk of us being 2nd.

4th is possible but it will be close.

If we don't finish in the top 4 from the position we were in just a couple of weeks ago then questions will need to be asked.

The last two matches have left me a bit scunnered and I'm less confident right now but we absolutely should still manage it.

It really depends what Hibs reappear after the break.

The team that could grind out results and throw in a few really good performances will comfortably finish 4th. The one we saw in the last 2 games or up at Pittodrie and we'll be in a battle.

The key thing is that we have to end this current run of defeats quickly.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

We are still miles clear of everyone bar livingston really. No way will they keep their form up (they play Celtic twice next week and Aberdeen twice in their next 6 games), they’ve had a very fortunate run of fixtures. I’d imagine we will pull away from them again.
    Last edited by hibbysam; 10-01-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Fortunate fixture list or not, Livi's form is superb. Based only on recent form we should count ourselves lucky its St Johnstone we have in the semis and not one of the other two.

Blog Entries
    I’m not confident of 4th, unless we make a couple of good signings. Livingston are creeping up on us and, if they beat RC today, will be only 6 points behind us with a game in hand. Hopefully Yogi can do us a favour today. It’s confidence sapping when you’re having to rely on the bottom club, especially when they have recently taken care of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Weil View Post
    Its an odd season, think we have a squad capable of third but injuries and inconsistency mean we are just as capable of a great run as we are a poor one....feel we were very unlucky (softest of penalties against and a missed stone waller for) in our last two games against the OF and that has knocked confidence more than a little. Our current league position is as much to do with at times our own good football as our opponents poor play. If you offered me the league cup and a 5th placed finish now I'd snap your hand off but still think its in our own hands to take the cup and third.
    Quite an important window this. While I'm a fan of quality over quantity, this season has shown that its not as simple as that....we don't seem to have the depth to cover loss of form as well as injuries and suspensions. A lot of games in a league season, even with no Europe.

Suppose in summary I don't have a clue
    Imo third is beyond us unless we pushed the boat out during this Transfer Window and it’s clear we can’t afford to do that
    Fourth should be a given especially if we can get Mcgennis Allan and Murphy match fit with no further injuries and think lately we haven’t been seeing the best of Boyle Nisbet and Doidge
    Oh and get the defence back to the form it was in at start of season when keeping clean sheets
    Heard Ross saying players needed to rest up before the Celtic game
    But think Ross and Coaching staff need to be spending more time coaching the players to play and formation that gets us playing football and not being pressed back and resorting to hopeless punts forward that give the ball away And cut out the slow passing along the back line that allows teams to Set up against us Tempo Tempo Tempo
    If all that can be achieved fourth is a given

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Serious questions need to be asked if we finish anywhere below 4th.

Expect to lose tomorrow but still expect to finish fourth.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’m confident we’ll finish 4th and hopeful we’ll challenge the sheep for 3rd. We’ve had 2 bad performances after a gruelling spell of fixtures where our small squad was stretched to the limit. With players getting fit and a couple of new signings we’ll pick up again.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    We are still miles clear of everyone bar livingston really. No way will they keep their form up (they play Celtic twice next week and Aberdeen twice in their next 5 games), they’ve had a very fortunate run of fixtures. I’d imagine we will pull away from them again.
    We should be in a better position to tell whether we're likely to do it by the end of this month - the fixtures are;

US - 36 points from 22 matches

Celtic (a)
    Kilmarnock (h)
    Rangers (h)

LIVINGSTON - 27 points from 20 matches

Ross County (h)
    Aberdeen (h)
    Celtic (a)
    Celtic (h)
    Kilmarnock (h)

DUNDEE UTD - 26 points from 22 matches

Hamilton (a)
    St Mirren (h)

KILMARNOCK - 24 points from 22 matches

Hibs (a)
    Livingston (a)

ST MIRREN - 23 points from 20 matches

St Johnstone (a)
    Dundee Utd (a)

By then I reckon the table will look a little something like this;

4th - Hibs 39 points from 25 matches
    5th - Dundee Utd 32 points from 24 matches
    6th - Livingston 31 points from 25 matches
    7th - Kilmarnock 25 points from 24 matches
    8th - St Mirren 23 points from 22 matches

Dundee Utd would probably be the only team with a realistic chance of catching us for 4th place.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Weil View Post
    Fortunate fixture list or not, Livi's form is superb. Based only on recent form we should count ourselves lucky its St Johnstone we have in the semis and not one of the other two.
    That’s all it is though, recent form. If they take decent points from their next 6 then I’ll start to worry. 9 behind with Aberdeen and Celtic their game in hands. Why would we feel lucky we don’t have St Mirren?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    We should be in a better position to tell whether we're likely to do it by the end of this month - the fixtures are;

US - 36 points from 22 matches

Celtic (a)
    Kilmarnock (h)
    Rangers (h)

LIVINGSTON - 27 points from 20 matches

Ross County (h)
    Aberdeen (h)
    Celtic (a)
    Celtic (h)
    Kilmarnock (h)

DUNDEE UTD - 26 points from 22 matches

Hamilton (a)
    St Mirren (h)

KILMARNOCK - 24 points from 22 matches

Hibs (a)
    Livingston (a)

ST MIRREN - 23 points from 20 matches

St Johnstone (a)
    Dundee Utd (a)

By then I reckon the table will look a little something like this;

4th - Hibs 39 points from 25 matches
    5th - Dundee Utd 32 points from 24 matches
    6th - Livingston 31 points from 25 matches
    7th - Kilmarnock 25 points from 24 matches
    8th - St Mirren 23 points from 22 matches

Dundee Utd would probably be the only team with a realistic chance of catching us for 4th place.
    Think your being a bit generous to Dundee United, although they also play st Johnstone this midweek.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’m confident we’ll finish 4th and hopeful we’ll challenge the sheep for 3rd. We’ve had 2 bad performances after a gruelling spell of fixtures where our small squad was stretched to the limit. With players getting fit and a couple of new signings we’ll pick up again.
    I can't see us finishing 3rd unfortunately.

I've posted above that I expect us to have 39 points from 25 matches by the end of this month, looking at Aberdeen's remaining January fixtures I expect them to have around 49 points from 25 points - in other words a 10 point lead over us by the end of this month and both teams having played the same number of games.

We blew any chances of 3rd with our last two results.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    We'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Think your being a bit generous to Dundee United, although they also play st Johnstone this midweek.
    So they do, just checked the BBC website. It's not included on my scores app.

I think they'll be on 33 points from 25 matches then.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I can't see us finishing 3rd unfortunately.

I've posted above that I expect us to have 39 points from 25 matches by the end of this month, looking at Aberdeen's remaining January fixtures I expect them to have around 49 points from 25 points - in other words a 10 point lead over us by the end of this month and both teams having played the same number of games.

We blew any chances of 3rd with our last two results.
    Possibly but it’s never as cut and dry as that, what we expect rarely happens. We might get a win from one our games against the ugly sisters, hopefully starting tomorrow night and Aberdeen could slip up in a game or 2. I still think 4th is where we’ll finish, but I’d like to see us put up a challenge for 3rd. Winning the league cup and having a good run in the Scottish would also be good.

United we stand here....