hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Out of Contract

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tam McCourt is a fantastic club servant. Lewis is a Hibs legend who still has a role to play.
    Agree think he should get another contract think his form this season has been very good and that the competition for his place has helped him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Agree think he should get another contract think his form this season has been very good and that the competition for his place has helped him.
    Really? I don’t think he’s been too good this season. We’ve not gave anyone a regular game at LB yet and switched between Lewis & Doig with Mackie making a couple of appearances. Obviously LS was injured for a period of time as well.

But I disagree that his form has been very good this season. It’s been pretty patchy, he’s had a few decent games but also had a couple poor games. Livi game was the worst I’ve seen from him in a good while, as it was for the whole team

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Although I think Stevenson is past his best he's still okay to bring on as a sub IMO, unless Ross has thoughts about bringing in another left back, in which case Stevenson should maybe think about moving on. I always thought Bogdan (for example) was just as good as Marciano, who's a good keeper but not irreplaceable IMO, so if he wants to leave, fair dues. I like Newell, it'd be good to keep him but there's something in the back of my mind which suggests some clubs (i.e. RC and Livingston) have cottoned on to the way he plays and closed him down so that he can't spread the ball, although there's more to his game than just that. It's tough times financially for all the clubs, but we do need to have players that can implement a Plan B when the A game isn't working. Just my opinion.
    The bogdan point is a good one. Not getting a game in Hungary, I'd happily have him back if rocky leaves

Lewis as a player doesnt go past defenders now and so the back pass is too often predictable. Defensively prone to get into trouble these days. Dont know how useful Lewis is in a coaching role but as a player ww are not very strong with him in the side but you could argue the two young left backs
    are not as all round as good as he was when he broke into the team.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    Lewis as a player doesnt go past defenders now and so the back pass is too often predictable. Defensively prone to get into trouble these days. Dont know how useful Lewis is in a coaching role but as a player ww are not very strong with him in the side but you could argue the two young left backs
    are not as all round as good as he was when he broke into the team.
    I think that's a given. You couldn't put either in centre mid and get a MOTM performance in a national cup final quite yet.

I think Lewis’ time is sadly coming to an end. Let him leave as a legend and spend a couple of seasons at Raith or the pars.

I think we will keep Newell and I think Marciano will go due to a larger offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    I think that's a given. You couldn't put either in centre mid and get a MOTM performance in a national cup final quite yet.
    Mackie came on at centre mid against Celtic and ran the show, setting up Flo’s goal, cup final or not that Celtic team was far better than Kilmarnock.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Mackie came on at centre mid against Celtic and ran the show, setting up Flo’s goal, cup final or not that Celtic team was far better than Kilmarnock.
    He didn't run the show. He got an assist and Celtic battered us the rest of the game. Not a patch on that cup final.

Additionally, Mackie replaced Slivka yes but he played wide left. A difficult place to run the show. Watch the highlights back, I may be wrong but I recall that game quite fondly.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hibernian Verse; 07-01-2021 at 12:35 PM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I think Newell and Marciano will leave, Stevenson will most likely get a new contract as I think Mackie will also be released.

United we stand here....

He didn't run the show. He got an assist and Celtic battered us the rest of the game. Not a patch on that cup final.

Additionally, Mackie replaced Slivka yes but he played wide left. A difficult place to run the show. Watch the highlights back, I may be wrong but I recall that game quite fondly.

He never played wide left, he played left side of the diamond, and they never ‘battered’ us at all. In fact it was rather comfortable. Mackie was also playing against the best midfield in the country beside Hyndman, Mallan and Horgan, Stevenson was playing against Kilmarnock, with Brown and Beuzelin. An entirely different proposition and although he was very good, he wasn’t in the top 3 players on the pitch that day and got man of the match due to his age, Fletch, Benji and Brown were exceptional.

Stevenson was back then what he is now, just younger. Tidy, gritty but never had the greatest of natural ability. He would need to be on very little wages (Whittaker style) for us to give him a new contract.

@hibs.net private member
    Lewis is more defensively minded than Doig or Mackie so that alone should get him another year. He is still fairly injury free and has had some very good games this year. He has also stated a few times that he isn't on a big wage compared to some so why take the risk or bringing someone else in who might cost more and be less effective when the plan should be to get the best out of the two younger players.

Hanlon should be going nowhere, our best central defender.

Sorry, will we suddenly not need cover at left back?
    The point made about Hanlon above is exactly our problem, he probably is the best centre half at the club right now and he is bang average, a converted midfielder who was made a centre half because of his height but his overall stature has seen him bullied and bossed by opposition centre forward for more seasons than I can remember with the added certainty of mistakes like the last minute Celtc one cropping up far too often. Wholehearted for sure, committed to the club undoubtedly but why in all that time here has nobody looking to bolster a failing defence come in for him? Time to sort out the most glaring deficiency in our team, central defence, good teams build from the back !

Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    The point made about Hanlon above is exactly our problem, he probably is the best centre half at the club right now and he is bang average, a converted midfielder who was made a centre half because of his height but his overall stature has seen him bullied and bossed by opposition centre forward for more seasons than I can remember with the added certainty of mistakes like the last minute Celtc one cropping up far too often. Wholehearted for sure, committed to the club undoubtedly but why in all that time here has nobody looking to bolster a failing defence come in for him? Time to sort out the most glaring deficiency in our team, central defence, good teams build from the back !
    Eh, because he is quality? Thats why he has never been replaced? The highest high this club has reached in 50 years was with him a key player.
    Bullied thing was true, about 8 years ago.
    Converted midfielder? Pish. Quality defender more like.
    Really decent passer, scores a decent share of goals, very good in 90% of games, bizarrely singled out when the team plays poorly because he isn't a blood and snotters yogi type.

Its not exactly our problem. Hanlon has been part of a really solid defence this season that has had a stinker of a week.

Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    He’s not been bullied for a long time to be fair. He wins his duals against big centre forwards. He struggles at times when he gets dragged out into the wider areas (see the Ross County goal) and that’s mostly due to a lack of pace.

He never played wide left, he played left side of the diamond, and they never ‘battered’ us at all. In fact it was rather comfortable. Mackie was also playing against the best midfield in the country beside Hyndman, Mallan and Horgan, Stevenson was playing against Kilmarnock, with Brown and Beuzelin. An entirely different proposition and although he was very good, he wasn’t in the top 3 players on the pitch that day and got man of the match due to his age, Fletch, Benji and Brown were exceptional.

Stevenson was back then what he is now, just younger. Tidy, gritty but never had the greatest of natural ability. He would need to be on very little wages (Whittaker style) for us to give him a new contract.
    I dont think he's worth a new contract but I can clearly see that Mackie is nowhere near the level of a 19 year old Lewis Stevenson. And Mackie is older.

Looks like you're arguing for the sake of it, as you can't possibly think Mackie is as good as Lewis was. Certainly won't be playing him at centre mid in the cup final if we get there and want to win it but bash on.

Lewis definitely should be given another year. Mackie is still yet to consistently prove himself at Hibs and although looked good before his injury he's been missing since and Lewis has stepped in.

Doig is still VERY young and has been brilliant, be he's also been ran ragged in some games and needed taken out the firing line. I think we're definitely seeing the beginning of the end for Lewis but he still has a lot to offer us around the club as a pro and as a back up.

I dont think he's worth a new contract but I can clearly see that Mackie is nowhere near the level of a 19 year old Lewis Stevenson. And Mackie is older.

Looks like you're arguing for the sake of it, as you can't possibly think Mackie is as good as Lewis was. Certainly won't be playing him at centre mid in the cup final if we get there and want to win it but bash on.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it was you that stated that none of Mackie or Doig could come in and impact ‘a National cup final’ like Lewis did. I’m sorry but that’s nonsense. Firstly they’ve not had opportunity, but secondly they’ve done it in far tougher games alongside far worse players than Lewis did.

Sean has far more ability than Stevenson did and does, he’s more athletic, he’s quicker, he’s got a better delivery and strike, he’s not as good defensively. Stevenson won’t be playing in front of either of them in the semi or the final coming up either if we want to play our best side.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it was you that stated that none of Mackie or Doig could come in and impact ‘a National cup final’ like Lewis did. I’m sorry but that’s nonsense. Firstly they’ve not had opportunity, but secondly they’ve done it in far tougher games alongside far worse players than Lewis did.

Sean has far more ability than Stevenson did and does, he’s more athletic, he’s quicker, he’s got a better delivery and strike, he’s not as good defensively. Stevenson won’t be playing in front of either of them in the semi or the final coming up either if we want to play our best side.
    They couldn't at centre mid is what I said. You countered that with Mackie playing 45 mins against Celtic at the left hand side of midfield.

I think Sean is your mate as he's not shown that he has the ability many times in the last few years. He certainly won't be the answer to finishing 3rd consistently if that's our aim. Neither is Stevenson I agree.

Tam McCourt is a fantastic club servant. Lewis is a Hibs legend who still has a role to play.
    Tam McCourt did the washing. Lewis did the business.

They couldn't at centre mid is what I said. You countered that with Mackie playing 45 mins against Celtic at the left hand side of midfield.

I think Sean is your mate as he's not shown that he has the ability many times in the last few years. He certainly won't be the answer to finishing 3rd consistently if that's our aim. Neither is Stevenson I agree.

He played centre mid against Celtic, it’s really that simple. Our formation never changed when he came on. If your saying left side of a diamond is left midfield, then left side of a three is as well and that’s where Stevenson played in the final.

Mackie hasn’t shown ability in 3 years? Apart from games against Rangers at Ibrox, Celtic at Easter road etc. He’s been unfortunate with injuries but to say he’s not shown ability is a tad mental.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

Mackie has done nothing to suggest he can become a regular choice at Hibs.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Going to be utterly gutted when the day comes that Lewis Stevenson is no longer a Hibs player.

Addressing the rise of Doig and Mackie Stevenson said: “It was always going to happen at some point.

"I'm 32 now and I don't think there are many 32-year-old full-backs in the Scottish Premiership but I genuinely feel physically as good as I have in years.

"When I have stepped in this season I think I've done alright but Sean and Josh have done brilliantly this season.

"Maybe it is time for somebody to come through and play more games but whenever I'm required I'll give it my best.”

Taken from the EEN last month, Lewis knows he's at the end portion of his career and understands the youngsters will take over. The consummate professional will be great for at least another year to help these young lads grow, he's still very fit but I expect him to eventually go into coaching like McGregor and Gray.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I think Newell and Marciano will leave, Stevenson will most likely get a new contract as I think Mackie will also be released.
    I’m open to be persuaded otherwise,but I tend to agree with you that I can’t see Mackie having a long term future at Hibs.

If money is as tight as we are led to believe I wouldn't be giving Stevenson a new deal. Great career but we are now at the stage where we can live without him on and off the field.