hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Difference

The Difference

Yesterday there was commitment, tempo, intensity, aggression, energy and the collective balance of the team allowed McGinn to focus on defending, Cadden play the wing back role to its max, Doidge, Gogic, McGregor and Irvine to let the opposition know they were in a game and more importantly a natural balance to the left side with Hanlon and Doig instead of shoe horning a right footed player on in to the wide left attacking position ( Murphy went there in the second period, not an insult but I thought he was the weakest link in the performance ) his eventual replacement Magennis messed that balance up but it didn’t matter we were 2 up and Boyle looked more like Boyle. It doesn’t atone for previous results but hopefully it is upwards and onwards from now on.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yesterday there was commitment, tempo, intensity, aggression, energy and the collective balance of the team allowed McGinn to focus on defending, Cadden play the wing back role to its max, Doidge, Gogic, McGregor and Irvine to let the opposition know they were in a game and more importantly a natural balance to the left side with Hanlon and Doig instead of shoe horning a right footed player on in to the wide left attacking position ( Murphy went there in the second period, not an insult but I thought he was the weakest link in the performance ) his eventual replacement Magennis messed that balance up but it didn’t matter we were 2 up and Boyle looked more like Boyle. It doesn’t atone for previous results but hopefully it is upwards and onwards from now on.
    Don’t know about all that. The main difference was scoring a goal first.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Don’t know about all that. The main difference was scoring a goal first.

If only it was that simple.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Darren McGregor.

I think it was a combination of things. Not meaning to be negative but the poor quality of the opposition also played a part.

We'll see if we truly 'turned a corner' if we can accumulate points in our next few games.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I think it was a combination of things. Not meaning to be negative but the poor quality of the opposition also played a part.

We'll see if we truly 'turned a corner' if we can accumulate points in our next few games.
    Were the 2 cup game defeats not also poor opposition.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    It very well might be.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post

TBH, I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

The question was what the difference was yesterday, and I said it was a combination of factors, including playing against a team on a very poor run of games. That doesn't exclude an improvement in how Hibs played, though.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    To be honest Dundee united came off the back of a 5-1 home defeat by St mirren. They were at rock bottom

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toldo123 View Post
    To be honest Dundee united came off the back of a 5-1 home defeat by St mirren. They were at rock bottom

They started brightly but once we got a foothold in the game, we were in control and fully deserved the 3pts .
    Darren McGregor has been immense and it’s just a pity the semi was last weekend because we look a different team now .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Often it is that simple and I agree with him.

That’s not the whole story obviously, but a huge part of it.

Scoring first is huge for us. If we concede first teams can be fairly comfortable sitting in against us. Score first and as teams open up we are good enough to pick them off.

In saying that the energy that Cadden and Irvine have added is helping, particularly as they get up to speed, and McGregor is a short term but very competent fix for some of our recent defensive issues.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

It pretty much has been as simple as that for us this season.

I don’t think we’ve lost in the league if we’ve scored first and I don’t think we’ve won if we’ve conceded first.

Magennis messed the balance up? Was it not Magennis who won possession to start the move for the 2nd goal?

Left by mutual consent!
    3 points and nothing else, that goes for tuesday too. Run of the mill games Hibs should be winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    3 points and nothing else, that goes for tuesday too. Run of the mill games Hibs should be winning.
    Every league game worth 3 points and nothing else so we can all bear that in mind the next time we lose a game and folk are claiming it’s a ‘big’ one.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Every league game worth 3 points and nothing else so we can all bear that in mind the next time we lose a game and folk are claiming it’s a ‘big’ one.
    If we want to finish 3rd,we will need to beat Aberdeen probably twice. This might sound daft but they are effectively 6 pointers these games so that makes them bigger. I don't understand Hanlon and JR saying some games are just other games. Big games are big games.

If we want to finish 3rd,we will need to beat Aberdeen probably twice. This might sound daft but they are effectively 6 pointers these games so that makes them bigger. I don't understand Hanlon and JR saying some games are just other games. Big games are big games.
    Why would we need to beat Aberdeen twice? We have a better record against the rest of the league so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Magennis messed the balance up? Was it not Magennis who won possession to start the move for the 2nd goal?
    Not intended as a criticism of Magennis who appears to me as as someone who is 2 footed but watching him in clips for St Mirren it looks like he is more comfortable coming in on his right foot.
    For those who have seen more of him than me what is considered to be his best position?

No chance a less relevant 0-2 win against one of the worst teams in the league atones for that 0-3 semifinal capitulation, with a realistic chance of winning silverware. These Hibs players don't have the balls for the fight, when the heat is turned up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Toldo123 View Post

I remember coming back from Ibrox after a 7-0 doing, we fielded a very attacking team that day under Alex Miller. The following week we played Hearts in the New Year Derby at Easter Road and won 2-1, not many of us thought we'd win that day.

Coming of a heavy defeat means nothing tbf, and I don't think United are as poor as they're being made out by some.

No such thing as a 6 pointer I’m afraid. If we beat Aberdeen we’ll gain 3 points on them.

We gained 2 points on Aberdeen yesterday by winning one of your ‘3 pointers’ ... the ones we should apparently be routinely winning because we’re Hibs.

The sticks people will use to beat Hibs are getting wilder. A few years ago we’d have bitten hands off to be where we are but all of a sudden there’s 4 or 5 reasons doing the rounds as to why it’s just not good enough.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    No chance a less relevant 0-2 win against one of the worst teams in the league atones for that 0-3 semifinal capitulation, with a realistic chance of winning silverware. These Hibs players don't have the balls for the fight, when the heat is turned up on them.
    So we shouldn’t bother playing any more games this season?

It’s done, so banging on about it every ten minutes won’t do any good now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    No such thing as a 6 pointer I’m afraid. If we beat Aberdeen we’ll gain 3 points on them.

We gained 2 points on Aberdeen yesterday by winning one of your ‘3 pointers’ ... the ones we should apparently be routinely winning because we’re Hibs.

The sticks people will use to beat Hibs are getting wilder. A few years ago we’d have bitten hands off to be where we are but all of a sudden there’s 4 or 5 reasons doing the rounds as to why it’s just not good enough.
    A few years ago we'd still have been upset at getting turned over by Livingston and Ross County and we'd still have been upset at losing semi finals - particularly in the manner we lost the second one. There is quite a lot more involved than just blind acceptance of a decent league position.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    A few years ago we'd still have been upset at getting turned over by Livingston and Ross County and we'd still have been upset at losing semi finals - particularly in the manner we lost the second one. There is quite a lot more involved than just blind acceptance of a decent league position.
    Ok - I’ll completely ignore a lot of other good signs and completely (blindly?) focus on 2 cup disasters that I still think we should have won if a couple of our better players had taken gilt edged chances.

Bit embarrassing to accuse fans of being blinded by a decent league campaign when really that is generally seen as the main barometer of how you’re doing.

It’s been far from perfect and the semi’s were tough to swallow ... but if we’re to keep progressing it’s maybe better to stop wallowing as it’s going to end up being detrimental.

I agree with OP.
    I thought we competed much better, looked like we had bags more energy, seem better balanced, won a lot of 50/50 balls and looked solid.
    I think even if we'd come a goal down we would have been more determined to get the equalizer and go on and win. Was like chalk and cheese to second half at Hampden when we didn't seem to have any answers

Is it just me or does anyone else wonder why we didn`t make use of Darren during December when we had lots of fixtures coming around?? Surely that was the time to freshen things a bit?? Other than Doig and Lewis flitting in and out Mcginn,Hanlon and Porto played all 11 games through December up until the
    the game against the Stickys last week....would it not have made sense to switch things around about then?? Almost every other position had a player switched in/out other than these 3 and its no coincidence that its the defence which has started to look leg weary and making mistakes??

Daz could easily have covered Hanlon and Porto for at least a game each especially as Alloa was 1 of those games? Why have a squad and not make use of it......

Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    I agree with OP.
    I thought we competed much better, looked like we had bags more energy, seem better balanced, won a lot of 50/50 balls and looked solid.
    I think even if we'd come a goal down we would have been more determined to get the equalizer and go on and win. Was like chalk and cheese to second half at Hampden when we didn't seem to have any answers
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rossevenil View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else wonder why we didn`t make use of Darren during December when we had lots of fixtures coming around?? Surely that was the time to freshen things a bit?? Other than Doig and Lewis flitting in and out Mcginn,Hanlon and Porto played all 11 games through December up until the
    the game against the Stickys last week....would it not have made sense to switch things around about then?? Almost every other position had a player switched in/out other than these 3 and its no coincidence that its the defence which has started to look leg weary and making mistakes??

Daz could easily have covered Hanlon and Porto for at least a game each especially as Alloa was 1 of those games? Why have a squad and not make use of it......
    Yeah, it's starting to look like a really strange decision.

A lot of football was being played, it can be handy to make full use of the squad.

I get why he'd want to stick with the defence that did so well early in the season but when it got later on - the few weeks after Ibrox - I thought we started to look really tired and stale. That was the time to start a bit of rotation imo.

Might have given us more going into the St Johstone semi too.

Thanks.
    Cliff and Tam kept saying it wasn't a great game with midfields cancelling each other out and no one putting their foot on the ball but I quite enjoyed it. Also BBC stats said Hibs only had about 38% possession - it felt like we had more than 50%.