hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hibs in Brazil Programme

I'm looking to somehow acquire a copy of the official programme for Hibs 1953 trip to Brazil. I found this page which shows what it looks like https://www.sportsmemories.be/Book.aspx?id=19601

Would greatly appreciate if you have any ideas on where I could find a copy or if you know anyone who might have one for sale. Thanks!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    If there’s any man who has this or knows how you may be able to get it then Andy Downie is that man for all things Brazil.

Not quite our man in Havana (although I’m sure he’s probably been) he is/was in Rio or possibly São Paulo although with the COVID madness over there he may have popped back to the UK.

@adowniebrazil also author of Doctor Socrates.

A shame Hibs didn’t play Palmeiras - many parallels between the clubs (started for disenfranchised immigrants).
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm looking to somehow acquire a copy of the official programme for Hibs 1953 trip to Brazil. I found this page which shows what it looks like https://www.sportsmemories.be/Book.aspx?id=19601

Would greatly appreciate if you have any ideas on where I could find a copy or if you know anyone who might have one for sale. Thanks!
    Not that it helps but I have seen it on eBay a few times, well out with my spending limit

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    Not that it helps but I have seen it on eBay a few times, well out with my spending limit
    What sort of range we talking?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    What sort of range we talking?
    If I remember correctly it was around £250, I seriously thought about it but decided I couldn’t justify it

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    If I remember correctly it was around £250, I seriously thought about it but decided I couldn’t justify it
    Oooft - would have made some Brasileiro some Reais !

If there’s any man who has this or knows how you may be able to get it then Andy Downie is that man for all things Brazil.

Not quite our man in Havana (although I’m sure he’s probably been) he is/was in Rio or possibly São Paulo although with the COVID madness over there he may have popped back to the UK.

@adowniebrazil also author of Doctor Socrates.

A shame Hibs didn’t play Palmeiras - many parallels between the clubs (started for disenfranchised immigrants).
    Andrew has returned to UK after 19 years in Brazil.

https://piaui.folha.uol.com.br/saudades-do-brasil/

Quote Originally Posted by GreyJammies View Post
    Andrew has returned to UK after 19 years in Brazil.

https://piaui.folha.uol.com.br/saudades-do-brasil/
    Thanks for sharing that article it was a good test for me sans Google translate.

Thanks for sharing that article it was a good test for me sans Google translate.
    Por nada.

Palmeiras looking good for a place in the final of Libertadores tonight. Pumping River Plate in Argentina.

All Brasileiro final with Santos, maybe?

Testimonial Due
    Por nada.

Palmeiras looking good for a place in the final of Libertadores tonight. Pumping River Plate in Argentina.

Come on Santos- father's family home town team.

I saw this up for auction a year or two ago - not on a football auction site, but a general one (can’t remember the name. ) It was a live auction which only lasted seconds per item, but the bidding rapidly became too rich for me (£100s rather than £1000s!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Por nada.

Obrigado - it's not you is it Andy? :)

TBH I've not followed much since my father in law - big Palmeirense - passed away last November but he'd see the irony in them winning it just around a the year after he passed :)

His family originally migrated from Verona/Padova so Palestra Italia which then became Palmeiras around the was an obvious choice.

It was interesting listening to his brother speak around his 90th bday about the racism he faced - he laughed said they were called "the polenta-eaters"...

If you or others know Portuguese - you can google on YouTube "A Casamento do Romeu e Juliet" (the marriage of Romeo and Juliet) a modern comedic uptake on Romeo & Juliet with the daughter of the President of Palmeiras falling for the leader of the Corinthian Ultras...

TBH I've not followed much since my father in law - big Palmeirense - passed away last November but he'd see the irony in them winning it just around a the year after he passed :)

His family originally migrated from Verona/Padova so Palestra Italia which then became Palmeiras around the was an obvious choice.

It was interesting listening to his brother speak around his 90th bday about the racism he faced - he laughed said they were called "the polenta-eaters"...

If you or others know Portuguese - you can google on YouTube "A Casamento do Romeu e Juliet" (the marriage of Romeo and Juliet) a modern comedic uptake on Romeo & Juliet with the daughter of the President of Palmeiras falling for the leader of the Corinthian Ultras...
    No, it's not he.

I have seen that film, cheers.

Watch this one from last year, it's great. It's set in Brazil.

Bacurau .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPdE1MBcQc

Testimonial Due

Funny about the racism at Italians as there are many of Italian descent in Sao Paulo state and the neighboring Minas Gerais state.

I was at a game in the mid 50s against Vasca(or Vasco)da Gama .I’d have been about 13/14.Can’t remember a thing about it except we won by a couple of goals I think.I’m sure it was billed as a return match.Presumably they were touring Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Funny my wife - despite her fathers fervour for Palmeiras isn’t really keen on football - except with the Selecão are playing.

So we’re married 21years and she mentioned - some cousin had passed away and she mentioned this guy - yeah he was a footballer it think he played for Santos — and I’m like “why the hell did you never tell me this before”.

Turns out the guy played number 10 for Santos after Pelé I couldn’t quite make it out timeline wise it out but it does appear that he may have been the man with the unenviable task of filling Peles shirt literally.

His name was Brida but was known as “Brescha”.

https://pt.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moacir_Bernardes_Brida

He had a pretty decent career and even played in Belgium.

Typical I don’t even get an intro.... Itajobi is a wee tiddly place next to where her folks live in Marapoama a literal hop skip and a jump from where they are... Wummin and football eh? (Sorry ladies!)

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I was at a game in the mid 50s against Vasca(or Vasco)da Gama .I’d have been about 13/14.Can’t remember a thing about it except we won by a couple of goals I think.I’m sure it was billed as a return match.Presumably they were touring Europe.
    Vasco - quite a strong Portuguese name - think he kinda “discovered” Brazil or was one of them. You hear a few kids being called Vasco - could be worse I suppose.

We really should link up with Palmeiras tho :)

Testimonial Due
    Vasco - quite a strong Portuguese name - think he kinda “discovered” Brazil or was one of them. You hear a few kids being called Vasco - could be worse I suppose.

We really should link up with Palmeiras tho :)
    Vasco da Gama are from that area in Rio and formed by Portuguese immigrants. They have fantastic murals if their great players painted on the outside walls of the stadium.

I wonder if there’s been a game between a Scottish or even a UK club and a Brazilian club since the one I saw?

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    I wonder if there’s been a game between a Scottish or even a UK club and a Brazilian club since the one I saw?
    Liverpool beat Flamengo in December 2019

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stoke City v Santos 1969

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    One of the thing I love about Hibs. We do celebrate the many different origins of our fans. Rooted in our own clubs Irish non-Scots status.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Santos at Sheff Wed 1962 and 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Thanks for that .Presumably for sale somewhere.I would have been 13.

Thanks for that .Presumably for sale somewhere.I would have been 13.
    It tends to fetch a few bob. I would happily send you a photocopy reproduction if you want one, FOC, just cos I’m thrilled that you were there. PM me if you want me to.

Unfortunately in 99 Man United beat Palmeiras in the world club cup / Super cup after they won Copa Libertadores and Champs League respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Allan Key View Post
    One of the thing I love about Hibs. We do celebrate the many different origins of our fans. Rooted in our own clubs Irish non-Scots status.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I do think/hope there’s some potential in scope to celebrate our clubs inclusiveness and diversity through welcoming players from overseas and helping them bed in via folks from their own country with links to Hibs.