hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have only read the article. I guess one of the reasons for football continuing is that helps maintain a semblance of normality and that in turn gives us all something else to think about and some hope that we will return to normal.

My work is proving really challenging just now. I’m seeing the effects of Covid at close quarters and feeling the impact of lockdown measures in terms of not seeing my children or partner. It’s hard to reconcile that with the likes of the Celtic trip and not letting my frustrations get carried away.

That said, I still think football is close to being obliged to take a break.
    I don’t think anyone agrees with Celtic’s trip to Dubai. However, it’s difficult for the government to use that as a reason for suspending football when they were involved in the discussions that led to it happening.

For me, it’s good that football is happening but it’s also having to go above and beyond what most other industries, who have been allowed to operate at any point during this, have had to do. Not so at the lower levels but certainly at ‘elite’ level.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I have only read the article. I guess one of the reasons for football continuing is that helps maintain a semblance of normality and that in turn gives us all something else to think about and some hope that we will return to normal.

My work is proving really challenging just now. I’m seeing the effects of Covid at close quarters and feeling the impact of lockdown measures in terms of not seeing my children or partner. It’s hard to reconcile that with the likes of the Celtic trip and not letting my frustrations get carried away.

That said, I still think football is close to being obliged to take a break.
    She said exactly that, she made a point of mentioning the mental aspect of what’s happening and how professional sport can help with that. Celtic have made a mockery of the system that’s been put in place and if they return and end up having to postpone games they should be hammered. I hope things get better for you soon.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    She said exactly that, she made a point of mentioning the mental aspect of what’s happening and how professional sport can help with that. Celtic have made a mockery of the system that’s been put in place and if they return and end up having to postpone games they should be hammered. I hope things get better for you soon.
    My mental health wasn't helped by last weekends shocker!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    That’s the flip side

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Surely time to 'null and void the season??
    No promotion for hearts and no first ever league win for the rangers.
    Best outcome all round

Those clubs will be happy because it’s what they were asking for last season.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    What am I missing?

The Celtic players will be tested before we play them?
    What if it some of their players test positive on Tuesday, what happens to our players then?

“The first minister said rules allowing the continuation of professional sport, not just football, will be reviewed if current mitigating rules, including separate travel and social distancing, are not followed”

You must’ve missed this bit?

Let’s speculate that a team, say Celtic, have a major outbreak. That would probably be the game up the pole?

The current situation is a bit of a farce. The supposed bubble associated with a top flight club is massive. Many of us are making sacrifices, putting ourselves and families at risk due to t(e nature of our work, not seeing loved ones due to rules and risk factors and you have to contrast that with 30 guys meeting and training everyday, then travelling and playing a game against another group of guys in another very large bubble.
    I expect the arrangements for this year's trip to Dubai were made at the end of last year's trip and the Celtic management did not want to cancel due to financial losses. I doubt any thought was given to the game and I am surprised that the SG gave its approval. Nevertheless given the level of COVID-19 in the UAE, Celtic players should have been quarantined in their return or as a minimum go through a test in Dubai before they left in line with the new travel rules. If a Hibs player catches the virus from contact with a Celtic player then the SG should throw book at Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Green View Post
    I expect the arrangements for this year's trip to Dubai were made at the end of last year's trip and the Celtic management did not want to cancel due to financial losses. I doubt any thought was given to the game and I am surprised that the SG gave its approval. Nevertheless given the level of COVID-19 in the UAE, Celtic players should have been quarantined in their return or as a minimum go through a test in Dubai before they left in line with the new travel rules. If a Hibs player catches the virus from contact with a Celtic player then the SG should throw book at Celtic.
    Celtic seem to believe they should be allowed to do as they please as it gives them the best chance of success for the rest of the season, it’s what lennon said and Kennedy today as well. For once sporting success is secondary to keeping everyone safe. There’s no winter break for a reason. It’s still incredible that everyone is treading eggshells about it. It wasn’t essential, not now, not ever, it’s a nice to have every season.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    And that’s why we have at significant problems with mental health.

Poor mental health is so much more than a bad football result, and a million miles from being a joke.

Appreciate your post was not intended to be offensive, but it is ignorant.

We have a big problem and suggesting it’s football related doesn’t help, much wider than that.

Take care 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Green View Post
    for the umpteenth time the Scottish Government did not approve the trip Celtic made. They provided clarification on the rules to the JRG. At absolutely no time did Celtic specifically and directly request permission from the SG. Celtic told a wee porkie based on discussions between the JRG/SG to try and justify their jolly and deflect from their irresponsible trip.

Celtic are now even admitting they broke the rules when in Dubai, but only in a little and specific way.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    for the umpteenth time the Scottish Government did not approve the trip Celtic made. They provided clarification on the rules to the JRG. At absolutely no time did Celtic specifically and directly request permission from the SG. Celtic told a wee porkie based on discussions between the JRG/SG to try and justify their jolly and deflect from their irresponsible trip.

Celtic are now even admitting they broke the rules when in Dubai, but only in a little and specific way.
    Sorry, think that’s rubbish re the government. They knew exactly what Celtic were doing. You can’t tell a wee porkie about going to Dubai. You’re either there or you’re no.

They shouldn’t have been there, obviously. But it’s no as if they sneaked away without anyone knowing!

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Sorry, think that’s rubbish re the government. They knew exactly what Celtic were doing. You can’t tell a wee porkie about going to Dubai. You’re either there or you’re no.

They shouldn’t have been there, obviously. But it’s no as if they sneaked away without anyone knowing!
    Celtic wouldn’t have gone to the SG and said ‘we are going to Dubai for a week, bit training, bit R&R, few pints’ - no chance. Celtic have gone to the JRG to say we’re planning on going to Dubai. JRG have gone to the government to clarify, SG have said ‘elite training and competition allowed abroad’ and they’ve told Celtic they can have a training camp.

It’s not for the SG to keep tabs and make sure that’s all it was for. Celtic have jumped through this ‘elite level training’ loophole, completely wrongly.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Celtic wouldn’t have gone to the SG and said ‘we are going to Dubai for a week, bit training, bit R&R, few pints’ - no chance. Celtic have gone to the JRG to say we’re planning on going to Dubai. JRG have gone to the government to clarify, SG have said ‘elite training and competition allowed abroad’ and they’ve told Celtic they can have a training camp.

It’s not for the SG to keep tabs and make sure that’s all it was for. Celtic have jumped through this ‘elite level training’ loophole, completely wrongly.
    Do you think every Hibs player has maintained a two meter distance from each other, of the pitch, since this started? Not a chance.

Guidance also says that you shouldn’t hug your team mates when you score. But that happens every week. In every game.

I don’t, for a minute, think they should have been there. But if the government were in a position to hammer them, they would. They won’t, because they gave it the green light. Football is no different to any other walk of life during this. Give folk a chance to mix, things will go wrong. No defence of Celtic, just don’t believe the football authorities or government are innocent.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 10-01-2021 at 12:04 AM.

Do you think every Hibs player has maintained a two meter distance from each other, of the pitch, since this started? Not a chance.

Guidance also says that you shouldn’t hug your team mates when you score. But that happens every week. In every game.

I don’t, for a minute, think they should have been there. But if the government were in a position to hammer them, they would. They won’t, because they gave it the green light. Football is no different to any other walk of life during this. Give folk a chance to mix, things will go wrong. No defence of Celtic, just don’t believe the football authorities or government are innocent.
    Celtic said in their own statement that SG permission was through the JRG. Celtic never went to the SG asking permission, they asked the JRG if they could go, they presumably asked the SG what the rules were on training camps and those are allowed but supposed to be for elite sports in training for competition. Of course Celtic used that loophole but that doesn’t mean it is right.

It wouldn’t have surprised me if they did go to Joe Fitzpatrick and he said aye as the mans a rocket, however they said in their own statement that it was done via the JRG, which Sturgeon backed up by outlining the rules, not expecting clubs to find loopholes for a jolly.

Celtc did not get a hand written permission slip from Sturgeon.

Instead they deliberately described their mid-season jolly in a way that it met the pre-existing conditions so that when they asked the question, they were able to get confirmation that it met the rules.

There are only two at fault here - Celtc themselves for going ahead with their "well earned" holiday when they knew that the stricter lockdown was about to happen, and the SPFL for letting them do so by rearranging fixtures to suit Celtc over the objection of the other club involved.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I don’t think anyone agrees with Celtic’s trip to Dubai. However, it’s difficult for the government to use that as a reason for suspending football when they were involved in the discussions that led to it happening.

For me, it’s good that football is happening but it’s also having to go above and beyond what most other industries, who have been allowed to operate at any point during this, have had to do. Not so at the lower levels but certainly at ‘elite’ level.
    Which is why, for me, David Moyes comments about footballers who break the rules is way off and tone deaf compared to what the rest of us are having to deal with everyday. They live in a privelaged bubble and have been given more privelage by allowing to keep doing what they do and despite that there are idiots abusing that position. They should be held accountable for stupid and selfish decisions that break the rules.

John McGinn was spot on the money with his comments last week.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Elite level sports in England and Wales to stop tomorrow according to some rumours doing the rounds.

If so you’ve got to imagine Scotland won’t be far behind them.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Elite level sports in England and Wales to stop tomorrow according to some rumours doing the rounds.

What does this mean, what sports?

Read that on twitter but no sources or credible journos that i could find?

@hibs.net private member
    https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnFerna...79167063220225

Anyone coming from dubai have to isolate backdated to the 3rd , farce is they will be special as usual

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    What does this mean, what sports?
    Premier league football and Rugby is what I read on Twitter. If it is the case I assume it will include all sports though.

Could be pish to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnFerna...79167063220225

Anyone coming from dubai have to isolate backdated to the 3rd , farce is they will be special as usual
    Im sure elite sport is treated differently? Could be wrong though.

You’re right.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Im sure elite sport is treated differently? Could be wrong though.
    But it wasn't really sport though in my opinion it was a holiday not any official fixtures played. It's more than bending the rules in where you play an official game and are in and out the country, not having pictures in nightclubs

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    But it wasn't really sport though in my opinion it was a holiday not any official fixtures played. It's more than bending the rules in where you play an official game and are in and out the country, not having pictures in nightclubs
    I get your argument, elite sports people are treated differently. Watching the transfer center the other day and they were talking about the young man utd signing not needing to isolate due to being in a sporting buble already.

Celtic are a different case as they have obviously been flouting protocol.

Premier league football and Rugby is what I read on Twitter. If it is the case I assume it will include all sports though.

Could be pish to be fair.
    Horse racing been told similar.

If the leagues here stop for the season then Hearts are staying down. Need to have played 75% of the season for positions to stand.

Unfortunate for them, sure they’ll understand though.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    If the leagues here stop for the season then Hearts are staying down. Need to have played 75% of the season for positions to stand.

Everything that i have read which is all just hearsay is that it will be a 4 week break. We

Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post

Are Hearts an elite sports team though? 😁

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Everything that i have read which is all just hearsay is that it will be a 4 week break. We
    Which will make no difference as teams will either have to keep training to continue in 4 weeks, or it’ll be longer than 4 weeks as teams will need a couple of weeks to get back up to speed.