hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kieran Trippier

Kieran Trippier

Has anyone been following the story of his ban for betting irregularities? I saw this article this morning:https://theathletic.com/2297547/2021....co/ebWz89Gq9c

I think it is behind a paywall, but here's the main bit that merits some discussion,

"Not all of the messages that Trippier sent to his friends ended up as the basis of proven charges against him. What linked the four proven charges was that they were all situations where Trippier provided information about his proposed move which he “obtained by virtue of [his] position within the game and which was not publicly available at the time”. And, crucially, when Trippier should have known that his friends would have used that information to make a bet.

That is why one of the proven charges centres on Trippier telling his friend OH that he should come to Madrid to complete his signing, and then reiterating that he was moving in a series of messages that evening. “It’s all agreed just waiting for them to come to an agreement with the fee,” Trippier wrote. “Should be done tomorrow or defo Monday.” When Hawley said “at least this should get you out of going to China”, Trippier responded: “Yeah don’t want to be going there.”

The next day, Sunday, July 14, Trippier took his family to Paradise Wildlife Park, a popular zoo in Hertfordshire with a big cat sanctuary and a dinosaur museum. He discussed his move to Atletico with a friend, who then messaged him again that night after Trippier had left the park. The friend — known as MB — asked “Shall I lump on you going there?”, and amid an exchange of emojis, Trippier confirmed his move. “Don’t blame me if something goes wrong,” Trippier wrote, before “Lump on if you want mate.” Both messages were followed with the crying/laughing emoji.

The day after that, as Tottenham and Atletico negotiated the final details of the transfer, Trippier continued to keep his friends updated. He set up a new thread — ‘Boys Promotions’ — and that evening wrote “nearly done deal levy just wants £500k more”. When the deal was agreed, Trippier told his friends, writing “Done deal”. Hawley bet another £300 on Trippier’s moving to Atletico even though the odds had come in to 4/11 by that point.

The fourth and final charge proven against Trippier concerns him telling the ‘Boys Promotions’ thread that the £25 million fee had been agreed between Atletico and Spurs, and that he was “flying out today and do[ing] my medical tomorrow”. Later that day Hawley and another friend continued to bet on the transfer, at odds as short as 3/10, 1/3 and 1/6. The move was sealed the next day."

It strikes me that these charges open a whole can of worms IMHO. Here's a guy keeping his friends updated on a big event in his life and he's getting a fine and 10 week ban for it. It's not his fault that his friends decided to take the information and use it to make less the £1400 from betting on it.

Are all footballers meant to keep absolutely quiet to everyone about any possible transfers in the future? Can they not tell friends and family what is happening?

Also, gambling companies make fortunes out of allowing people to bet on internet rumours and having knowledge that ordinary punters don't have and then cooking the odds to make sure that they can't lose. How is it then a problem if the punter has a bit more knowledge and decides the make a wee bit of money on it. The gambling companies positively encourage transfer rumours and manager rumours and make millions out of them, I wouldn't be surprised if there are people linked to gambling companies who put rumours out there or spread them further to encourage betting.

I honestly can't see what Trippier has done wrong here apart from being open and honest with his mates. Who are the FA protecting here, it's not match fixing so there's nothing to protect about the integrity of the game, they're just protecting the profit of a few gambling companies who probably line the FA's coffers to the tune of millions every year.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    You would definitely want to see similar action taken against the betting companies when they accept bets on events where they have knowledge of the likely outcome, which surely happens.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    It does seem a bit extreme to ban someone from speaking honestly to his friends, although I can sort of understand why he's been charged, I don't think he's guilty. It surely has nothing to do with him if his mate bets on something that could break down at any moment.

I have had some tips on dog racing and horse racing over the years, from trainers. Some have won, some have lost, should I not have bet them, and should the trainers be banned for passing on this information?

Also, I had an account with paddy power closed recently, with just over £100 in it, and I had to jump through hoops to get it back.

Yet I'm a £20 to £30 a week gambler, they want it all their own way, tossers.
    Last edited by blackpoolhibs; 06-01-2021 at 10:12 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Agree all the papers leading with the lump on if you want, but the don't blame me if something goes wrong shows its a gamble. things go wrong last minute all the time, and no as if bookies don't have inside knowledge but let people lose millions

Maybe it's just me but whoever takes bets on a player moving to another club is the stupid one here.

This is nothing like a player fixing a match, or anything like that.

If gambling companies want to prey on the vulnerable by offering odds on absolutely everything then they should accept that folk will take advantage. Trippier should be applauded for it, similar to the keeper eating the pie the other year, he’s not making money on it himself, no different to a stable giving their tips on horses.

**** me, Atletico payed 25 million?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Off the subject, but when we used to go to powderhall for the dogs, my mate and I used to have a cheat whenever there was a photo finish.

They used to tannoy the distance over to the guy that put the distance up on the board, one of us would stand below it and listen.

As soon as he'd announced it to the guy, before he could put the distance up on the board, one of us would either hold our nose or put our hand on our neck for a head, and the other would place a bet with the bookies who were taking bets on the distance.

We did that for a long time and were never caught.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    If KT had replied to the messages about lumping on with something like "do what you want mate" or something like that would they still have banned him?

**** betting companies, if a few of his pals make a bit of money out of a mate moving clubs who cares who cares? 10 game ban? Absolutely mental.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hes been good for them, Sid Lowe regularly says he’s been one of their top performers.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    A snip really compared to alot of transfers

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Hes been good for them, Sid Lowe regularly says he’s been one of their top performers.
    Yeah, I've heard/read the same actually. Still more than I thought they had payed.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    A snip really compared to alot of transfers

For a 30 year old right back? Its definitely quite a lot IMO.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    It does seem a bit extreme to ban someone from speaking honestly to his friends, although I can sort of understand why he's been charged, I don't think he's guilty. It surely has nothing to do with him if his mate bets on something that could break down at any moment.

I have had some tips on dog racing and horse racing over the years, from trainers. Some have won, some have lost, should I not have bet them, and should the trainers be banned for passing on this information?

Also, I had an account with paddy power closed recently, with just over £100 in it, and I had to jump through hoops to get it back.

Yet I'm a £20 to £30 a week gambler, they want it all their own way, tossers.

Seems incredibly harsh but at the same time it is a bit ‘insider trading’ sort of style to put the bet on. But then there’s not a chance the bookies aren’t doing the same thing.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    I wonder if it stems from the fact he continued to give them info after they told him that they were betting on it and he even said 'Lump on if you want mate'? Agreed it seems a bit harsh though.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Yeah, I've heard/read the same actually. Still more than I thought they had payed.

For a 30 year old right back? Its definitely quite a lot IMO.
    He's 30 now

I think he was 28 when they bought him

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    He's 30 now

I think he was 28 when they bought him

He was. Was a pretty decent deal for Atletico all things considered imo.

@hibs.net private member
    The bookies surely know there will be inside knowledge of these types of signings. What if the transfer had fallen through at the medical stage. I can't see that the player has done anything wrong. Bookies are choosing a market that is very open to insider information even if those with that knowledge are doing nothing wrong. I'd be quite happy for Hibs to have lumped on for us signing Nisbet or Lennon so we could offset some of the cost.

@hibs.net private member
    Paradise Wildlife Park is 20 mins down the road from me.

Never been, but I did get drinking with an Irish guy who was building the Lion King-esque structure in the big cat area.

I'll bow out now....

First Team Breakthrough
    Off the subject, but when we used to go to powderhall for the dogs, my mate and I used to have a cheat whenever there was a photo finish.

They used to tannoy the distance over to the guy that put the distance up on the board, one of us would stand below it and listen.

As soon as he'd announced it to the guy, before he could put the distance up on the board, one of us would either hold our nose or put our hand on our neck for a head, and the other would place a bet with the bookies who were taking bets on the distance.

A few years ago I was at a reserve derby at Ainslie park, I was pretty sure that people next to me were betting on apps once they had seen team lines in the ground due to the experienced hearts team listed and phoning others to do so too

I suppose it could be argued it's resembling a form of insider trading. A guy is telling people about ongoing business negotiations that aren't officially public knowledge, whether they personally involve him or otherwise is largely irrelevant, and they use that information to make money. I think the 'lump on if you want' comment is probably the nail in his coffin. That could quite easily read as him giving his permission to use the information as they wish. He also then had reasonable knowledge they intended to use the information for gambling purposes and continued to provide it.

I don't necessarily agree with that and I think he has been harshly treated but there is probably a lesson there for footballers not to be too trusting of those around them. Football clubs are like sieves at the best of times and players maybe need to be a bit smarter around these things. I'm sure a few will be thinking twice about how much they tell their mates in future.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    I wonder if it stems from the fact he continued to give them info after they told him that they were betting on it and he even said 'Lump on if you want mate'? Agreed it seems a bit harsh though.
    The issue that Trippier has is that he's definitely broken rules here, so I think there's no question that a sanction was required.

Shows you how easily someone could fall into the trap of committing that offence.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    He was. Was a pretty decent deal for Atletico all things considered imo.
    His stock would have remained high in Europe because he was a bit of a star of that World Cup team in Russia 2018. Very accurate and reliable crosser of the ball, got lots of assists in front of millions. Possibly never achieved as much in the club game.

Quote Originally Posted by hibstag View Post
    A few years ago I was at a reserve derby at Ainslie park, I was pretty sure that people next to me were betting on apps once they had seen team lines in the ground due to the experienced hearts team listed and phoning others to do so too
    I used to know a guy who worked for a bookies on a freelance basis.

He would attend minor games in Scotland that had a betting market, such as a Hibs reserve/development game. He would be on his phone for the 90 minutes just relaying what was going on. It was pretty simply stuff like 'Hibs attacking', 'Hearts shot', 'Hibs corner', 'cross from the left into Hibs box'. The bookies live text and any in house TV (or regular TV for bigger games) always have a slight delay, usually a matter of seconds, but it gives the bookies their edge.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    His stock would have remained high in Europe because he was a bit of a star of that World Cup team in Russia 2018. Very accurate and reliable crosser of the ball, got lots of assists in front of millions. Possibly never achieved as much in the club game.
    Hopefully wins La Liga this year.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Superb

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brummie_Hibs View Post
    Paradise Wildlife Park is 20 mins down the road from me.

Never been, but I did get drinking with an Irish guy who was building the Lion King-esque structure in the big cat area.

I'll bow out now....

There's no chance that the bookies don't get tips from agents and clubs and change the odds based on that. It's exactly the same thing except it's working in the bookies favour.

Edit: was trying to quote Calumhibee1, not sure what happened.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    There's no chance that the bookies don't get tips from agents and clubs and change the odds based on that. It's exactly the same thing except it's working in the bookies favour.

Edit: was trying to quote Calumhibee1, not sure what happened.
    They must’ve had some info as they dropped the odds from 4/1 to odds on.

Hibs.net provided me with the best ever football insider trading opportunity,
    When Deek went on loan to Cowdenbeath, someone on here (possibly his uncle) posted about it before it was public knowledge. Cowdenbeath were 100/30 away at Brechin and I lumped on.
    Deeks scored a hat trick and Cowdenbeath won 7-5

@hibs.net private member
    This ruling is a piece of nonsense - ably demonstrated by Trippier's own comment "“Don’t blame me if something goes wrong". ie - even with his inside knowledge it was still a gamble. The tumbling odds give the impression that the bookies were also privy to some inside info - so do the same rules not apply to them???