hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Assets

Assets

John McGinn was a brilliant signing for us and is now playing at a much higher standard.

Who else do you think will go on to prove their worth at a better level ?

My candidates would be Porteous and Nisbet.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Porteous needs to remove the petulance from his game before he goes further but I agree he will play at a higher level if he can do so....

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Porteous
    Doig
    Newell(if English championship is deemed higher)
    Magennis
    Nisbet

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Porteous needs to remove the petulance from his game before he goes further but I agree he will play at a higher level if he can do so....
    Unfortunately for us the errors of those we perceive as assets are part of the journey, they won’t realise their full potential at Easter Road.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Out of the squad we currently have I reckon only Nisbet and even then I’m not sure he’ll go on to a lot bigger than Hibs as much as I rate him.

Porteous I’d be surprised if he ever leaves Hibs - I think he’ll end up much like Hanlon. Good enough to play for us for a long, long time but not quite good enough to go to the OF or down south.

Doig is too early to say but he has a good chance.

That’s not to say the rest aren’t good enough but I don’t think any of the others will be making bigger moves. At best they’ll go sideways to English teams.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 03-01-2021 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    Been thinking he has improved in that respect already whilst still having a way to go and is clearly still prone to lapses, but I agree he has the potential to play at a higher level. I recall a lot of chat about VVD when he was at Celtic that he wasn't as good as some folk and he himself made out, made too many errors and so would be found out in the Premiership after his move to Southampton.
    In further support of Porto he had one absolutely sublime Brazilianesque through ball yesterday in the first half.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Out of the squad we currently have I reckon only Nisbet and even then I’m not sure he’ll go on to a lot bigger than Hibs as much as I rate him.

Porteous I’d be surprised if he ever leaves Hibs - I think he’ll end up much like Hanlon. Good enough to play for us for a long, long time but not quite good enough to go to the OF or down south.

Doig is too early to say but he has a good chance.
    Think the same about porteous I don’t see him getting any better, apart from the diving in I haven’t seen much improvement in his game between him first coming in to now and being brutally honest I’m not even convinced he’s good enough to stay here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Think the same about porteous I don’t see him getting any better, apart from the diving in I haven’t seen much improvement in his game between him first coming in to now and being brutally honest I’m not even convinced he’s good enough to stay here.
    Yeah let's punt him aswell 😂

I'm in agreement with one of the posters above RE: Porteous

Controversial, but Porteous has developed very little from when he first broke through. He's playing football regularly, but he's not developing his game..

Left by mutual consent!
    Newell is the biggest asset just now.

Porteous was outstanding early in the season when our defence as a whole were playing really really well. He is a young lad maybe trying a bit too hard to compensate for the way the team is playing the last few games, he will have his moments and they will become less and less as time goes on, look at Doig getting rested for a while after he had a couple of iffy games, we can't do that with Porteous as McGreggor is unable to perform to the required level to take his place....

Quote Originally Posted by the tornadoe View Post
    Porteous was outstanding early in the season when our defence as a whole were playing really really well. He is a young lad maybe trying a bit too hard to compensate for the way the team is playing the last few games, he will have his moments and they will become less and less as time goes on, look at Doig getting rested for a while after he had a couple of iffy games, we can't do that with Porteous as McGreggor is unable to perform to the required level to take his place....
    Porteous is 22 in a couple of months. He’s past the stage of being slowly taken in and out the team, he’s a first team player and quite rightly will be treated more like all the other older players. Doig of course will quite rightly be managed a bit differently.

Imo Porteous hasn’t improved that much since he got into the first team. Still a decent player, but not a lot more than that and I don’t really see him improving enough to get a bigger move. His recent performances have actually seen him go backwards but I’d presume that’s just a blip in form. Some of his passes recently have been absolutely horrendous.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 03-01-2021 at 11:42 AM.

Porteous, Doig and Nisbet.

Porteous has improved a lot Imo and he regularly completely dominates the opposition striker. Very good defender in the air, 1v1’s and reading the game, he’s also improved massively on the ball.

The issue with him imo is when he gets better and there’s a bit of talk about him he thinks he’s Archie and starts swaggering about and trying to play Scott Allan esque passes or taking unnecessary risks in defence.

If he eradicates the stupid errors he will go far.

Doig I think will already be drawing attention to himself from other teams purely down to his age. I’ve been quite impressed with him at times and not so much at others. I think he’s still very raw on the ball and once he develops his quality on it, his composure and end product he could be some player. Obviously the things I’m mentioning I realise it’s because he’s so young and it will take time. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a team take a punt on him though.

Nisbet scores goals and his all round play is very good, he can do a bit of everything which you need as a modern day CF. Think he’ll need to do it consistently here for a year to 18 months though before a team makes a move.

Magennis I’m unsure of. Granted he’s been injured now for the best past of a year but it’s a bit odd we’re playing him left mid and not centrally, the position we needed him. I also don’t think he’s got the bags of energy and drive some expect. Hope when he’s back we see him get a good run centrally and show us what he can do. The 5 year deal certainly shows we have confidence in him.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Yeah let's punt him aswell 😂
    No ones talking about punting him, I do think we’re expecting an awful lot from a guy who’s got worse as the seasons gone on, he’s been poor since his involvement in the scotland squad he should have had a taste and got the head down to take it a step further and he’s not got close.

I don’t think anyone in the hibs defence can count themselves as irreplaceable, efe would still stroll in there with ease and he was out the game for a year

Left by mutual consent!
    Marciano, Doig Mackie Nisbet Porteuous. The controversial one, Mallan.

Newell and Doidge will probably go on to play in L1. McGennis, no idea and Hallberg will end up playing somewhere sunny like Greece or Cyprus where the game is a lot slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    No ones talking about punting him, I do think we’re expecting an awful lot from a guy who’s got worse as the seasons gone on, he’s been poor since his involvement in the scotland squad he should have had a taste and got the head down to take it a step further and he’s not got close.

I don’t think anyone in the hibs defence can count themselves as irreplaceable, efe would still stroll in there with ease and he was out the game for a year
    You said he isn't good enough to stay at Hibs?!

I would suspect that Kyle Magennis could be added to the list of Porteous and Nisbet based on the managers knowledge and having previously worked with the player.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    You said he isn't good enough to stay at Hibs?!
    I said I'm not convinced he is, if we're punting everyone I'm not convinced by we're gonna struggle to get a team together next week.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Porteous, Doig and Nisbet are the obvious ones. Don't see any reaching McGinn levels any time soon.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Porteous has the makings of a top centre half but he needs to playing in a better defensive set up than we have at the moment. With his size and heading ability he should also be more of a threat at corners and free kicks . Unfortunately he seems more intent on winding the opposition up and playing the tough guy . The number of free kicks we concede at corners is pathetic and it’s something the coaching staff should be dealing with along with the rest of our problems.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Porteous, Doig and Nisbet are the obvious ones. Don't see any reaching McGinn levels any time soon.
    Have we ever sold a player that's went on to McGinn levels? Collins maybe? Goram?

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    Have we ever sold a player that's went on to McGinn levels? Collins maybe? Goram?
    Fletcher had a good career

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Fletcher had a good career
    He's wasn't at the level McGinn is at now though IMO. He has had a very good career though. Kenny Miller similarly and obviously Scotty Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    I would suspect that Kyle Magennis could be added to the list of Porteous and Nisbet based on the managers knowledge and having previously worked with the player.
    Kyle Magennis will never be an ‘asset’ as such if he can’t string more than a couple of games together.

He really needs to get fit and get playing. He’s been back 2-3 months now and he’s still constantly missing games.

We will get decent money for Magennis and Nisbet.