hibs.net Messageboard

Who Is Good Enough ?

No provocation intended but genuine questions.

Who is deemed good enough to play for Hibs ?

Would you swap our present squad for the Ross County or Livingston squad ?

Would you swap Jack Ross for their managers ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No provocation intended but genuine questions.

Who is deemed good enough to play for Hibs ?

Would you swap our present squad for the Ross County or Livingston squad ?

Would you swap Jack Ross for their managers ?

Mullen, ran the show for them today.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Current squad

Rocky
    Mcginn (just)
    Porteous
    Doig
    Muprhy
    Doidge (possibly)
    Nisbet
    Boyle (possibly)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Mullen, ran the show for them today.
    Thats cheating, I meant the whole squad!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Good enough

Rocky

McGinn
    Porteous (just)
    Doig

Newell (just)
    Boyle
    Murphy
    Allan

Nisbet

Not good enough

Gray

S McGinn
    Hallberg
    Wright

Gullan

The rest aren’t necessarily not good enough, but I wouldn’t lose any sleep at all if we lost them.

Maciano
    Porteous
    Newell
    Allan
    Boyle
    Nisbet
    Murphy
    Doig

The only ones I’d want to keep and miss if they left now.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    Current squad

Rocky
    Mcginn (just)
    Porteous
    Doig
    Muprhy
    Doidge (possibly)
    Nisbet
    Boyle (possibly)
    Not far off here.

Scott Allan is good enough.

Tin hat on - I don’t think Doidge is good enough. He’s nudging deeper into “huddy who had a purple patch” territory, further away from “international class striker who took a bit of time to get going” territory.

We’ve got a few more who might be good enough, but only if used to their strengths and on a very limited basis, and they’re probably picking up too big a wage to be value for being used in that way.
    Last edited by Smartie; 02-01-2021 at 06:24 PM.

Most of them. Poor match today. It's mainly midfield we need players. Move on Mallan and Gogic if possible.

What about the 2nd and 3rd questions ?

Good enough

Rocky
    Porteous
    Doig
    Boyle
    Magennis (just back from injury and one for the future)
    Nisbet
    Murphy if he can stay fit
    Gullan but needs more fane time, at least shows some spirit when he comes on.

@hibs.net private member
    Good enough to play for Hibs - Im actually ok with most of the squad. I would, however, look at a complete overhaul of the midfield. Both Livingston and Ross County beat us (as has happened with a number of other teams under Ross) by outnumbering and outrunning us in midfield.

Most of our midfielders are fine if given space and time to play or if we have to sit deep against a better team but as soon as a game spreads out they are not at the races.

JR - keep but we cannot continue to lose games like we have. Its almost identikit to the loss to Hearts at the end of last season.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Not far off here.

Scott Allan is good enough.

Tin hat on - I don’t think Doidge is good enough. He’s nudging deeper into “huddy who had a purple patch” territory, further away from “international class striker who took a bit of time to get going” territory.

We’ve got a few more who might be good enough, but only if used to their strengths and on a very limited basis, and they’re probably picking up too big a wage to be value for being used in that way.
    Doidge is regressing. He’s not been good this season aside from a game here and there. He had very little service today but, even if he had, he’s needed about six chances to put the ball in the net once for most of the season. His touch and hold up today were terrible.

I still think there is a place in the squad for him but we need another striker. We needed another striker before a ball was kicked this year. Just like the centre halves, there is nothing pushing the two up front.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Good players:

Marciano
    Porteous
    Newall
    Allan
    Murphy (?)
    Boyle
    Nisbet
    Doidge

I would also give more time to:
    Doig
    Magennis
    Gullan

Then there's maybe a group of players who are a bit limited but maybe are realistically the sorts we're unlikely to get any better than, with the right players around them they're not bad players.

Hanlon
    Stevenson
    McGinn
    Mallan
    Gogic
    Barnes (a decent backup)
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    We've got a lot of good players, but we are too easily outrun. We could do with a Paul McGinn in midfield, technically sound, maybe not outstanding, but very professional and athletic.

Gogic, Mallan and Newell is a pretty static midfield, and Mallan actually looked better when Doig and Gullan were bombing about.

Stop playing our best striker out wide to facilitate our second best striker as well. We're not playing for crosses into the box, so Doidge isn't having a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Doidge is regressing. He’s not been good this season aside from a game here and there. He had very little service today but, even if he had, he’s needed about six chances to put the ball in the net once for most of the season. His touch and hold up today were terrible.

I still think there is a place in the squad for him but we need another striker. We needed another striker before a ball was kicked this year. Just like the centre halves, there is nothing pushing the two up front.
    I think our wins and Nisbet scoring hid the fact they don’t compliment each other very well.

Doidge likes to be up top on his own..

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/forest-green-rovers-manager-explains-how-hibs-can-get-the-best-out-of-doidge/amp/

I like Doidge and Nisbet but currently I feel they aren’t doing each other any favours at all.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    I think our wins and Nisbet scoring hid the fact they don’t compliment each other very well.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.n...of-doidge/amp/

I like Doidge and Nisbet but currently I feel they aren’t doing each other any favours at all.
    Correct. Also, Doidge doesn't link up with Scott Allan. If we got offered a decent fee for Doidge and managed to another striker in, I'd do it .

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/forest-green-rovers-manager-explains-how-hibs-can-get-the-best-out-of-doidge/amp/

That surprises me as Doidge doesn't look capable of holding the ball up regularly. His second touch is a tackle and he is often outmuscled and giving away free kicks. Nisbet is a much better player imo and is getting further from goal due to formation changes. Doidge is very good at getting into positions but his finishing is very poor. The two strikers are a good example of what is a bigger problem. We dont have a system or style that seems to fit the players. What happened to academy players coming into a system they were comfortable playing etc. Covid will have made that difficult but I'm not convinced players are bought to fit a system and style

First Team Breakthrough
    Marciano, Porto if he screws the head, I’d keep doig, newell, Allan, magennis, Boyle, nisbet and Murphy. Couldn’t care about the rest. Players like Mallan doidge Stevenson hanlon would do for squad players but we need change now and we need it in January or our season is in danger of fizzling out big time.

@hibs.net private member
    All of our players are good enough, when they show up.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Not sure if this is a loaded question as theres several ex Hibbys involved. I'd take Ambrose and Bartley back, either would still do a job at Hibs. Not sure I'd have their manager, he's doing a good job the now but has baggage and this would become a bigger issue if he was to move onto a bigger club. Oli Shaw could arguably be a better 3rd choice than Gullan. Wouldn't take Hughes back over Jack Ross.

Interesting despite the criticism nobody would swap our squad or manager for those of Ross County and Livingston.

I don’t think it’s down to having poor players. On paper we have a strong squad. I think it’s down to tactics, preparation, team selection & motivation.

Being overrun in Midfield by 2 lower league teams at home raises serious questions about tactics.

I’m pretty sure most teams outwith Aberdeen, Hearts, Celtic & Rangers would take the vast majority of our players as 1st picks.

It’s the manager who needs to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    All of our players are good enough, when they show up.
    True, but I think serious questions need to be asked of those who don’t turn up nearly often enough.

To point fingers, Mallan, Gogic, Doidge and maybe Boyle need to answer questions.

Are Magennis and Murphy ever going to be fit enough often enough to play a part?

Have we seen enough from Wright to suggest he’s got it?

No point in being good enough if you’re not going to play well enough often enough.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Interesting despite the criticism nobody would swap our squad or manager for those of Ross County and Livingston.
    What were you expecting when we’re above both in the league and our budget dwarves both of them (probably combined as well)? I’d swap our squad for Aberdeen’s though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    What were you expecting when we’re above both in the league and our budget dwarves both of them (probably combined as well)? I’d swap our squad for Aberdeen’s though.
    None of these teams or their managers are better than what we have got, this will prove to be the case when things are reviewed at the end of the season.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    None of these teams or their managers are better than what we have got, this will prove to be the case when things are reviewed at the end of the season.
    Is anyone disagreeing with that? I’m not sure what you are looking for in a direct comparison with us and either Livi or Ross County.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hanlon and Porteous are 100% not good enough.

They leak goals badly. Please get rid. Now!!!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Good enough and should build the team around

Marciano
    Porteous
    Allan
    Newell - If he gets the right balance around him. He has the quality but needs to show it more
    Murphy
    Boyle
    Nisbet

Good players but inconsistent, do a job or could potentially be replaced with better

McGinn - Even though he’s been brilliant this season imo
    Hanlon
    Doidge
    Mallan
    Gogic
    Stevenson

Not good enough - Sell/release

Hallberg
    Stephen McGinn
    Wright
    Barnes
    Tom James
    David Gray
    Darren McGregor
    Fraser Murray

Jurys out

Doig - Due to age and experience. Most likely will be good enough.
    Magennis - Injuries and lack of impact when has played. Where does he fit in and why is he playing left mid?
    Gullan - Due to age and experience
    Mackie - Due to injuries

Lots of room for improvement. With guys like Doidge and McGinn I appreciate it’s one of those you would gamble trying to replace them based on how good they’ve been/what they’ve offered but you need to be ambitious and want to continuously improve to get to a better level.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Apologies, it was a question I was asking in response to those who were impressed by by the way both teams played against us in general, I beg to differ and what I saw was a flatness in our performances, a lack of balance and the almost predictable consequences of those factors. Psychology plays a big part in the game, Ross County were boosted by having a new manager and Livingston have had some good results, do I think that their squads or managers are better than what we have, a definite no. How good or bad Hibs are is definitely debatable and probably down to the age groups of our supporters and comparisons with previous teams.