hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lewis had a stinker today but I do think LB is the least of our troubles and the position has generally been managed well by Ross.

We have an experienced, more defensive player who you would probably expect to play less from now. We have a very talented youngster who offers more going forward who you would expect to play more, if not every week. Chuck in Mackie who has also done well and we’re well covered there.

Stevenson looked strangely knackered today and didn’t look great at the first goal in particular.

I’m less concerned about LB, where I still think we’ve got 3 decent options than CM - where I’m convinced we’re needing 2 solid all round players to complement Scott Allan. The rest need binned or to accept bit part roles.

We could also do with finding a formation that gives the LB a fighting chance, maybe with someone playing in front of them.
    Sorry but constantly changing your left back after 60 mins isn’t good management. It’s like clockwork every week, only change is whether it’s Doig for Stevenson or Stevenson for Doig.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    I love Stevenson. He is a Hibs legend and a great pro who should have a job for life at Hibs.

But it is time to let the youngsters come through.

It's harder said than done. Especially when you have a moron fan element who overreact to every single defeat and victory.

Doig had the spot, then had a rough half at Celtic park and everyone wanted Lewis back. You can't have it both ways. If you want Lewis replaced you are going to have to be patient with a replacement and let them learn.

I got slaughtered for suggesting Doig should've stayed on that day and learned.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    Sorry but constantly changing your left back after 60 mins isn’t good management. It’s like clockwork every week, only change is whether it’s Doig for Stevenson or Stevenson for Doig.
    What’s wrong with doing that?

If you have a player who is good for 60 minutes, another good for 30 meaning you get a good 90 minutes and still have 4 subs left to use elsewhere then is that not pretty good?

If we have a problem, it is that Stevenson’s hour today wasn’t good enough.

Left by mutual consent!
    Doig all day long.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    He looks leggy and hasn’t played as nearly as much as some others in the team.

If you’re looking for 3rd or 4th stevenson isn’t the answer and never has been
    He was when we finished 4th in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    He was when we finished 4th in 2018.
    And 2010. And probably this season if we get it together.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Stevenson had a shocker today but he's far from finished. Only two/three weeks ago we had posts on here saying he was back to his best form.

EXACTLY!

Lewis was not up to his usual standard today, even i have to admit that but i have every confidence in him bouncing back.

However he was not the only one in that Hibs team who was not on form but nothing is said about their dismal performances.

What i cant understand is that defence was not so long ago the best in the league and respnsible for a few good results too.

The players confindence is at a low level and one look at comments good and bad on here wont help them very much.

Im glad December is now over as every season we seem to slide after playing so well and getting a good amount of points, only to
    shoot ourselves in the foot with the amount of games we seem to lose over the festive period.

Lets keep the faith and hope we turn the corner soon.

IMO Hibs have been too loyal to those who are now living on their Cup Winners reputations.

Hanlon has also been culpable for us losing soft goals recently and now lacks the physicality required and is easily bullied when under pressure.

Gray and McGregor are now bit part players on the bench as it appears the are not up to the rigours of playing 90 mins.

I appreciate the contributions messrs Hanlon, Stevenson, Gray & McGregor have made for Hibs previously, but we cannot let sentiment cloud our judgement and Hibs need to replace this quartet asap, if we are to avoid a downward spiral this Season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by joebakerforever View Post
    IMO Hibs have been too loyal to those who are now living on their Cup Winners reputations.

Hanlon has also been culpable for us losing soft goals recently and now lacks the physicality required and is easily bullied when under pressure.

Gray and McGregor are now bit part players on the bench as it appears the are not up to the rigours of playing 90 mins.

I appreciate the contributions messrs Hanlon, Stevenson, Gray & McGregor have made for Hibs previously, but we cannot let sentiment cloud our judgement and Hibs need to replace this quartet asap, if we are to avoid a downward spiral this Season.
    Correct.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Is Doig not seen more as a centre half than a left back? Maybe we need to be giving Mackie more games if Doig is eventually be going to move into the centre. Stevenson is still a good player to have as he rarely lets us down when needed, he was poor yesterday, but the whole team was poor.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Is Doig not seen more as a centre half than a left back? Maybe we need to be giving Mackie more games if Doig is eventually be going to move into the centre. Stevenson is still a good player to have as he rarely lets us down when needed, he was poor yesterday, but the whole team was poor.
    I totally agree with this, but Mackie is still injured I think?

Personal opinion is Mackie is the better Left Back but Doig is probably a better central defender than a LB

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    That is often repeated by one poster on here but we've seen no intention from management to play him anywhere but LB. Until that changes then it's just another hibs net myth.

Besides, I'd be giving Doig as much chance to develop as possible. Dropping him until a CB berth is available isn't the best way to do that.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    That is often repeated by one poster on here but we've seen no intention from management to play him anywhere but LB. Until that changes then it's just another hibs net myth.

Besides, I'd be giving Doig as much chance to develop as possible. Dropping him until a CB berth is available isn't the best way to do that.
    He’s following the Hanlon pathway, start at left back and move into the pitch.

Hermit Crab already doesn’t like him, so he’s getting there.

Time to let Doig become the new Lewis Stevenson. Great servant to the club but Doig is the future and he's more than capable.

I’d like to see Stevenson left back and doig left midfield. Thought he linked up quite well with Gullan when both on. With the experience of Stevenson behind helping him through games

Doig. Stevenson is finished at the level we are aiming to be. I reckon he could still do a job for a bottom six side or a Championship side but not 3rd/4th in the Prem.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Time to let Doig become the new Lewis Stevenson. Great servant to the club but Doig is the future and he's more than capable.

It’s his first season. Yet the young man develop his game and his body get used to the demands of first team football. Lewis didn’t become our first choice left back overnight.

Doig
    Mackie
    Stevenson

In that order, Mackie has played well enough this season but not set the heather alight as some would have you believe, let's not forget he was written off by most hibs fans at the end of last season after failing to nail down a place at Dundee.

Doig's early season form and performance against Rangers is enough to convince me he's our first choice LB for the foreseeable.

Id imagine about 4 people on here have seen Doig play CB. You'd have had to watch a few Dev games, or Porty High! He may well become a very good CB but for now he is clearly playing as a forward thinking LB. His athleticism is way ahead anyone else we have on that side of the pitch so lets make use of that over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Id imagine about 4 people on here have seen Doig play CB. You'd have had to watch a few Dev games, or Porty High! He may well become a very good CB but for now he is clearly playing as a forward thinking LB. His athleticism is way ahead anyone else we have on that side of the pitch so lets make use of that over the next few years.
    Surprised to see that he is 6ft 2. I thought he looked a lot smaller than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Surprised to see that he is 6ft 2. I thought he looked a lot smaller than that.
    Not stopped growing yet. He was suffering some bad growing pains earlier in the season which was another reason his performance dipped and another reason its great to have Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Not stopped growing yet. He was suffering some bad growing pains earlier in the season which was another reason his performance dipped and another reason its great to have Lewis.
    I’ve been impressed by him so far considering it’s his first season at this level. No doubt he will only get better.

Lewis could be in the category of SDG and Darren i.e. only to be used in case of emergencies. Sean and Josh for me. Jish still being young probably needs Lewis around but both can be exploited. So what though bcos some teams know how to exploit our weaknesses all over the park so no point in focusing on that too much.

Doig with Stevenson as back-up.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    Just pick one ross for **** sake.
    WTF for?!? Its a squad game and we have already made good use of Doig, Stevenson AND Mackie and with good reason.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Mackie currently the best all round option at the moment IMO, in terms of pace, physicality, defensively and going forward he ticks the most boxes for me. Doig is a better option long term as hes a good few years younger than Mackie but still lacks defensively and in terms of physicality.

He doesn't seem like a centre half to me tbh but that will depend on his development of course and how Hibs see him long term.

Mackie
    Doig
    Stevenson

None of them are much cop I'm afraid.