hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

If you "pony up" first Ron, i'll follow you...

I was going to donate my £25 match fee to HSL, on top of my £30 per month subscription following their appeal, but I think i'll keep my hand in my pocket until Ron Gordon puts his hand in his and furnishes the squad with a couple of players.

Maybe that imposter Tanner will ask Mathie about the paucity of the squad at halftime, but I'll not hold my breath?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was going to donate my £25 match fee to HSL, on top of my £30 per month subscription following their appeal, but I think i'll keep my hand in my pocket until Ron Gordon puts his hand in his and furnishes the squad with a couple of players.

Maybe that imposter Tanner will ask Mathie about the paucity of the squad at halftime, but I'll not hold my breath?
    After nearly 60 mostly disappointing years of support I don't owe them anything. They effing owe me.

In all seriousness, it's a decent initiative by HSL but the club don't seem that bothered in backing it, there's nothing on the official website, unless i've missed it?

In all seriousness, it's a decent initiative by HSL but the club don't seem that bothered in backing it, there's nothing on the official website, unless i've missed it?
    The club aren't interested in it, it's been abundantly clear for months now.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    The club aren't interested in it, it's been abundantly clear for months now.

Baffling and will hurt overall contributions.

@hibs.net private member Gerard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Baffling and will hurt overall contributions.
    The club could easily say via the website, its social media accounts and tradiotional media: Thank you HSL for donating the vast sums of money to the club and continuing to doante money to the club. I read that in the lasy year HSL gave over 270,000 pounds in what may be called the 'Year from Hell'.
    HSL 'Ponys' up to help our club . I think it is time for our PSH Mr RJ Gordon to follow our exmaple.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    agree. The supporters give, and give, and give. Time for the majority shareholder to do likewise.

Didn't Ron Gordon 'pony up' when he bought the club and cleared the club's debt?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fezziwig View Post
    Didn't Ron Gordon 'pony up' when he bought the club and cleared the club's debt?
    so that’s his job done is it?

In fairness the club were made aware of the campaign this morning, on a matchday where the limited staff at the club are undoubtedly running around doing other things.

We can’t always wait on approval or responses from the club before running with things as it would mean a delay to getting stuff moving at times.

Ron Gordon has different views on fan ownership to Tom Farmer but the club have been supportive in recent months and I’m sure they’ll be supportive of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    Who said that? The point was that he cleared the debt and made a cash injection to the club, spending millions in doing so. If that's not 'ponying up' I don't know what is.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    You can't blame Ron Gordon for this shambles. It's squarely down to the coaching staff and players.

He's already announced details of how he intends to improve various aspects of the club. When we're over the pandemic hopefully we'll some action regarding that. That's his job after all.

Aberdeen and Hearts fans who can afford it aren’t sitting back expecting somebody else to put in.

I'm not going to knock Ron Gordon and his financial contribution. Far from it.

However I think the club should be doing far more to promote HSL. It's essentially asking fans to make a financial donation to the club over and above their ST, strip, Happy Hibee ticket and various other things. The share option has been removed so there is nothing tangible in return. A better team on the park is not guaranteed and it's subjective.

I understand there are potential restrictions around what Hibs can do but from what I see on social media the likes of Hearts and Motherwell do far, far more to promote their respective schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Who said that? The point was that he cleared the debt and made a cash injection to the club, spending millions in doing so. If that's not 'ponying up' I don't know what is.
    yes and HSL have invested over a million too. And continue to invest every month. The original OP thinks RG should continue ponying up. I agree with that.

maybe he already is. In which case, thanks Ron. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    You can't blame Ron Gordon for this shambles. It's squarely down to the coaching staff and players.
    I don’t blame him for this. Not even slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel 1875 View Post
    In fairness the club were made aware of the campaign this morning, on a matchday where the limited staff at the club are undoubtedly running around doing other things.

We can’t always wait on approval or responses from the club before running with things as it would mean a delay to getting stuff moving at times.

Ron Gordon has different views on fan ownership to Tom Farmer but the club have been supportive in recent months and I’m sure they’ll be supportive of this.
    Eh? I got my email on Thursday - that's a full 48 hours before today and not a whisper on the club website.

Gordon might have different view on fan ownership - i.e. he's not keen on it - but this is free money for the club, and I don't understand the club's reticence.

It's reminiscent of Petrie and Forsyth's woeful attempts at PR - radio silence and hope the natives don't notice.

Eh? I got my email on Thursday - that's a full 48 hours before today and not a whisper on the club website.

Gordon might have different view on fan ownership - i.e. he's not keen on it - but this is free money for the club, and I don't understand the club's reticence.

It's reminiscent of Petrie and Forsyth's woeful attempts at PR - radio silence and hope the natives don't notice.
    The HS board launched the Hampden £100k campaign on Thursday. I emailed the club this morning to make them aware of it and ask them for some help.

One member of staff is on holiday until Monday and the other will have been at the stadium running the match day operation today. I’d hope we’ll get a response next week.

The HS board launched the Hampden £100k campaign on Thursday. I emailed the club this morning to make them aware of it and ask them for some help.

One member of staff is on holiday until Monday and the other will have been at the stadium running the match day operation today. I’d hope we’ll get a response next week.

Fair play to you coming back so quickly, Daniel - but it's not just this one latest initiative - there (seems) to be zero to none enthusiasm for it at Board level, as there's never a peep from them about it.

As far as i'm aware, Gordon has stated there'll be no more dilution of his shareholding, so what's his issue with lending his considerable media experience to boost HSL's profile?

i genuinely don't get his stance, and as I said in a previous post I detect the dead hand of Benchmark PR in the club's approach to this.

@hibs.net private member Gerard's Avatar
    yes and HSL have invested over a million too. And continue to invest every month. The original OP thinks RG should continue ponying up. I agree with that.

maybe he already is. In which case, thanks Ron. Keep it up.
    At a time when many people are concerned about job security and paying essential bills; Hibs are not an essential product compared to the basic essentials of living. They are an important part of many people's lives. HSL is making a very important contribution to the club's income at a time when the games are missing from attending supporters and away fans. I know that the club has a lot on its plate and the staff are doing their best in toiugh circumstances.

With the use of technology it is not hard to communicate with the fans and encourage them to donate money to the club. HSL is the second largest share holder and continues to be a generous supporter of the club with large donations.

I am sure that the many Hibs fans websites are read from time to time. The majority of fans are rational in what they post and want from the club. I think it is time that the club are clear about the continuing money HSL gives to the club. If they are looking to have thier own system of fans giving to the club that is a potential way to go forward. I would potentially support this venture.

I can understand Mr Gordon's position as he has the controlling amount of shares in the club apprx 67 Percent. He has paid off our debts and injected money into the club and that is to the club's benefit. There are many people who are very happy to help the club if asked. If Mr Gordon takes the position that this help is not required that is his choice and I wish him all the best.
    Last edited by Gerard; 02-01-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Fair play to you coming back so quickly, Daniel - but it's not just this one latest initiative - there (seems) to be zero to none enthusiasm for it at Board level, as there's never a peep from them about it.

As far as i'm aware, Gordon has stated there'll be no more dilution of his shareholding, so what's his issue with lending his considerable media experience to boost HSL's profile?

i genuinely don't get his stance, and as I said in a previous post I detect the dead hand of Benchmark PR in the club's approach to this.
    I can’t speak for the Hibs board as I’ve never dealt directly with them. But what I can say is that the staff at the club have been helpful in promoting what we’re trying to do.

Since the summer they’ve given us various prizes, included an ad in the match programmes, included HS in the club mail shots and given us a prime slot on the home match coverage for an advert.

I’ve yet to speak to anyone about what we can do together for this month’s initiative but it’s worth remembering the club are still running on a reduced staff base due to redundancies and furlough. They’ve been willing to help wherever they can in recent months.

The relationship between Ron Gordon and the guys on the HS board is decent enough. He has recently invested a large sum of money in the club and doesn’t have any interest in decreasing his stake. The recent appointments to the board show he is looking to grow the club’s presence in commercial Edinburgh and bring some big businesses closer to the club.

It’s understandable that there will be frustrations when things aren’t going too well on the pitch, and we are likely to face difficulties in asking supporters for more money at this time of year. But all HS can do at the moment is continue to try and help the club with ongoing significant financial support.

Forsyth is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    Forsyth is still there.
    I know - although i'm baffled as to why.

I can’t speak for the Hibs board as I’ve never dealt directly with them. But what I can say is that the staff at the club have been helpful in promoting what we’re trying to do.

Since the summer they’ve given us various prizes, included an ad in the match programmes, included HS in the club mail shots and given us a prime slot on the home match coverage for an advert.

I’ve yet to speak to anyone about what we can do together for this month’s initiative but it’s worth remembering the club are still running on a reduced staff base due to redundancies and furlough. They’ve been willing to help wherever they can in recent months.

The relationship between Ron Gordon and the guys on the HS board is decent enough. He has recently invested a large sum of money in the club and doesn’t have any interest in decreasing his stake. The recent appointments to the board show he is looking to grow the club’s presence in commercial Edinburgh and bring some big businesses closer to the club.

It’s understandable that there will be frustrations when things aren’t going too well on the pitch, and we are likely to face difficulties in asking supporters for more money at this time of year. But all HS can do at the moment is continue to try and help the club with ongoing significant financial support.
    First of all Daniel, I 100% laud you for your efforts and I wouldn't try to draw you onto a hook about HSL's relationship with the Board, but for you not to have any contact with them as the guy who comes on here to drum up support for HSL is a poor state of affairs, and reflects badly on the club. So keep on doing what you're doing and I wish you well in your efforts.

On that note though, this is maybe one for the fans' rep: What's the club's take on HSL, Kieran, and why do they appear to operate an arms-length relationship with them?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    First of all Daniel, I 100% laud you for your efforts and I wouldn't try to draw you onto a hook about HSL's relationship with the Board, but for you not to have any contact with them as the guy who comes on here to drum up support for HSL is a poor state of affairs, and reflects badly on the club. So keep on doing what you're doing and I wish you well in your efforts.

On that note though, this is maybe one for the fans' rep: What's the club's take on HSL, Kieran, and why do they appear to operate an arms-length relationship with them?
    Is it not the case for tax purposes that there needs to be seen to be a degree of separation from the club and HSL?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Is it not the case for tax purposes that there needs to be seen to be a degree of separation from the club and HSL?
    It is.

And has been said many times, on here and elsewhere.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 02-01-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It is.

And has been said many times, on here and elsewhere.
    So for us less well-informed mortals not versed in the intricacies of company law, if they're that hung up on even publicly thanking HSL and the fans for their efforts for fear of breaking the law, what's to stop the club forming its own publically endorsed supporter donation initiative run along the lines of Aberdeen and their AberDNA set up?

Anyone on here or from the club like to enlighten us?

So for us less well-informed mortals not versed in the intricacies of company law, if they're that hung up on even publicly thanking HSL and the fans for their efforts for fear of breaking the law, what's to stop the club forming its own publically endorsed supporter donation initiative run along the lines of Aberdeen and their AberDNA set up?

Hibs would lose money on that as they'd be subject to tax rules that HSL aren't. We're better off putting money into the club through HSL.

Can see it maybe happening a few years down the line though.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

Aberdeen will pay VAT (and Corporation Tax) on their income, as it's linked to goods and services.