hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

Joe Newell

https://twitter.com/hibernianfc/status/1365602578621464577?s=21

Goes some way to dispel the myths about Joe’s defensive work, also showing how pivotal he is to our all round game. He doesn’t run around daft, but his positional sense is very good, and his ability on the ball is second to none.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://twitter.com/hibernianfc/status/1365602578621464577?s=21

Goes some way to dispel the myths about Joe’s defensive work, also showing how pivotal he is to our all round game. He doesn’t run around daft, but his positional sense is very good, and his ability on the ball is second to none.
    His calmness is fantastic.

There are times when 2 or 3 players are bearing down on him and he just doesnt panic. Great user of the ball.

His pace is probably the biggest issue with him playing at a higher level down south, which is actually great for us tbh.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    His calmness is fantastic.

There are times when 2 or 3 players are bearing down on him and he just doesnt panic. Great user of the ball.

His pace is probably the biggest issue with him playing at a higher level down south, which is actually great for us tbh.
    He’s so strong as well

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He’s so strong as well
    And he's got bloody lovely hair.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    And he's got bloody lovely hair.
    He’d be in my team every week just for that, his football ability is a bonus.

He’d be in my team every week just for that, his football ability is a bonus.
    Maybe we could also be a boyband on the side. He's a dreamboat.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Him, Mackie and Allan.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Gogic the bad boy, Daz the manly man, Newell the pretty boy, Irvine the alternative one, and throw Stevenson in too for all round charm and sex appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Gogic the bad boy, Daz the manly man, Newell the pretty boy, Irvine the alternative one, and throw Stevenson in too for all round charm and sex appeal.
    Boyler as the one who's going to wind them up on tour and end up leaving because of "musical differences".

Don’t think I’ll ever get what people see in Newall. Every time he plays, teams find it easier to play through us. Gogic and Irvine was working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Don’t think I’ll ever get what people see in Newall. Every time he plays, teams find it easier to play through us. Gogic and Irvine was working.

Gogic and Irvine were working. Newell is a key player and just coming back from injury so he shouldn’t have changed what was working. Newell should have worked his way back from the bench. However, he’s a top player and interesting you never expressed your negative view until now.

Gamer IDs

Gogic can only play the way he's facing and can barely pass unless its ten yards right in front of him.

Blaming today on Newell is a massive stretch, the whole team was bad.

That bit in bold is complete nonsense, we've kept several clean sheets this season with Newell playing as the deepest in midfield. He put in several good big tackles in the first half and had more tackles than any other player last week against Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Gogic and Irvine were working. Newell is a key player and just coming back from injury so he shouldn’t have changed what was working. Newell should have worked his way back from the bench. However, he’s a top player and interesting you never expressed your negative view until now.
    Ozy has definitely expressed that view plenty. I’ve noticed because I’m one of the few who seems to agree with it.

I think Newell is a decent player but changing the midfield after Aberdeen was crazy for me. We got a break last week with the sending off which made the game relatively easy thereafter. The change has effected Murphy and Irvine.

Funnily enough very quiet after the St Mirren away game where Gogic and Irvine were humped until the sending off. Newell is a class football player and has a place in our side week after week because of what he brings. If you want to watch hard working runners every week then fair enough. Won east last week but that doesn’t suit the narrative.

Gamer IDs

His defensive ability is severely underrated on here.

He has the second most tackles per game in the hibs squad behind only Paul McGinn.

In the league he is in the top 20 for tackles won per game, ahead of players like Bartley and Lewis Ferguson.

Just cause Gogic is big doesn't mean he's better defensively for our midfield. Newall makes more tackles, more interceptions, understands space better and is so much better technically when on the ball.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!

He has the second most tackles per game in the hibs squad behind only Paul McGinn.

In the league he is in the top 20 for tackles won per game, ahead of players like Bartley and Lewis Ferguson.

Just cause Gogic is big doesn't mean he's better defensively for our midfield. Newall makes more tackles, more interceptions, understands space better and is so much better technically when on the ball.
    Great at slowing game down to a snails pace and an expert at sideways passes as well. Looks good while doing everything though. Good player but honestly comes across as a guy who likes to stand and enjoy every single pass he plays.

Obvious today that our midfield still has problems. Newell, Irvine and Gogic don’t give us enough drive when up against these types of midfields. Newell slows game far too much. He needs to improve on that.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Fair points, but I don’t think we’ve had a balanced midfield all season that included Newell. He’s clearly not solely to blame for that and pre Irvine & Cadden there wasn’t really any combination to give us balance. He also deserves a chance to try and click with Irvine as think it was only his second game with him.

However there is a debate to be had that for all Newell’s individually qualify he potentially plays a big part in our midfield being less than the sum of its parts a lot more often than it should. Gogic, Irvine & Murphy gave us the best and most balanced performance of the season against Aberdeen IMO. Granted that was one game in isolation.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Funnily enough very quiet after the St Mirren away game where Gogic and Irvine were humped until the sending off. Newell is a class football player and has a place in our side week after week because of what he brings. If you want to watch hard working runners every week then fair enough. Won east last week but that doesn’t suit the narrative.
    Newell is a good player, no question.

But surely you had to see that Gogic should have started today, not at the expense of Newell I would add.

You harped on earlier today that you wouldn't need a player as poor as Gogic as we would dominate.

It would appear gogic was very much needed today, in place of Murphy, who for me has done nothing to get me excited. Newell is not the same player when asked to do the majority of the defending in the centre of the park

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

But surely you had to see that Gogic should have started today, not at the expense of Newell I would add.

You harped on earlier today that you wouldn't need a player as poor as Gogic as we would dominate.
    Have seen comments before a lot of games at ER about not needing certain players against certain teams. The way we’ve been at home, it’s like some of the players think similar.

Gogic should never have been out of the team after his performance against Aberdeen. Murphy and Irvine have also suffered without him there.

I wouldn’t have started Gogic today, our team being so poor today wasn’t due to Gogic not starting. We should’ve dominated but as I also said, we would only dominate if the team turn up, and a fair number never.

Ps I certainly never said Gogic was poor, I called him a limited battering ram, which he is. The games we won with him and Irvine we had zero control in, we out battled and won the game through taking chances.

First Team Breakthrough green.oracle's Avatar
    Gogic can only play the way he's facing and can barely pass unless its ten yards right in front of him.

Blaming today on Newell is a massive stretch, the whole team was bad.

That bit in bold is complete nonsense, we've kept several clean sheets this season with Newell playing as the deepest in midfield. He put in several good big tackles in the first half and had more tackles than any other player last week against Hamilton.
    Bit in bold, usually because he got caught in possession in the first place!!

Got to agree with Oz, I'm another who doesn't get the newell love in. Reasonable player, not unhappy he's signed up for another 2 years, but equally had he left at the end of the season, would not have bothered me.

Everyone entitled to an opinion.

Serious questions need asked and addressed at the way we've been dismantled by Ross County, Livingston and Motherwell.

I wouldn’t have started Gogic today, our team being so poor today wasn’t due to Gogic not starting. We should’ve dominated but as I also said, we would only dominate if the team turn up, and a fair number never.

Ps I certainly never said Gogic was poor, I called him a limited battering ram, which he is. The games we won with him and Irvine we had zero control in, we out battled and won the game through taking chances.
    We were well in control of the games we won against Killie, Utd the Sheep and St Mirren. Scored more goals and conceded less. Created more than the opposition.

67% possession today but never in control of the game.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

Our midfield are powder puff without Gogic and not for the first time at Easter Road this season teams just glide right through it.

After the triple substitution which should have happened at half time we dominated possession and if Doidge had scored one of his gilt edge chances we might just have got something out the game.

PS I take it a limited battering ram is better than a poor player and if you thought Gogic and Irvine were poor against Aberdeen and we had zero control in that game then I'm afraid you are simply wrong. It actually pains me to tell a poster they are wrong but there it is

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Our midfield are powder puff without Gogic and not for the first time at Easter Road this season teams just glide right through it.

After the triple substitution which should have happened at half time we dominated possession and if Doidge had scored one of his gilt edge chances we might just have got something out the game.

PS I take it a limited battering ram is better than a poor player and if you thought Gogic and Irvine were poor against Aberdeen and we had zero control in that game then I'm afraid you are simply wrong. It actually pains me to tell a poster they are wrong but there it is
    I agree.

I think that the matches where some people think we don't need him are exactly those where we do.

I'd have made room for him to start today.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    We were well in control of the games we won against Killie, Utd the Sheep and St Mirren. Scored more goals and conceded less. Created more than the opposition.

67% possession today but never in control of the game.
    You think we were in control of the game vs st Mirren before having a man advantage? Dundee United we had less than 40% possession, had less shots, that’s certainly not controlling a game. Aberdeen we pumped, no question, Kilmarnock again less possession at home. If you want to watch a team that sits back, defends well, and hits on the counter perfect. I enjoy those results and don’t overly mind the performances, but to evolve from that we need to control the midfield better than them and Newell allows us to do so.

The Aberdeen game was the exception, we controlled that game from start to finish, the games I was meaning were United away and St Mirren away until the sending off and Killie at home. We had no control of those games. We took our chances and battled our way to a win.

He also managed to get another crap effort on goal today from a decent position when he had time and space to take a touch and shot.

He’s probably as bad a finisher as I’ve seen running on to the ball.

At least he hit it cleanly wide today, and nearly got it on target, unlike his previous sclaffs.

I like Newell, he offers us a lot, but we’ve looked a poorer team since he came back into it.

At the start of the season I thought our best team might be missing a few big players. I’m struggling to see how Newell, Nisbet and Porteous fit into the team and a solid argument could be made that they’re our best defender, midfielder and striker.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green.oracle View Post
    Bit in bold, usually because he got caught in possession in the first place!!

Got to agree with Oz, I'm another who doesn't get the newell love in. Reasonable player, not unhappy he's signed up for another 2 years, but equally had he left at the end of the season, would not have bothered me.

Everyone entitled to an opinion.

Serious questions need asked and addressed at the way we've been dismantled by Ross County, Livingston and Motherwell.

according to some it's because of our pitch, 6 wins out of 17 games at home suggests we would maybe be better moving to straiton

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    according to some it's because of our pitch, 6 wins out of 17 games at home suggests we would maybe be better moving to straiton
    Happy clappers won’t like that, careful now.